Dark Day for Vista

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Barnesy Wore 10
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Dark Day for Vista

Post by Barnesy Wore 10 »

Word just now filtering through is that Modbury Vista Soccer Club has decided to fold the SAASL side of things....more news to come. Sad day for all those past players and officials that built the club to where it once was.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Dark Day for Vista

Post by Just Dave now »

they are not dead in fact they have gone up in the stakes by going feds so good for them.
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

Big G
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Big G »

Dave from Number 12 wrote:they are not dead in fact they have gone up in the stakes by going feds so good for them.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Dave from Number 12 wrote:they are not dead in fact they have gone up in the stakes by going feds so good for them.
This is the Amateur League forum, what teams (1st, Reserves, Cs Over 35s) will Vista have in the SAASL Amateur Leagues this year....they already had the Fed teams last year.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

swannsong wrote:
This is the Amateur League forum, what teams (1st, Reserves, Cs Over 35s) will Vista have in the SAASL Amateur Leagues this year....they already had the Fed teams last year.
Amateur league forum. Not SAASL forum. But if it is a SAASL forum then get them to change the name.

chunky-monkey
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by chunky-monkey »

Gone up in the stakes by fielding a SL2 team that is so far away from being competitive. How is that going up?

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

chunky-monkey wrote:
Gone up in the stakes by fielding a SL2 team that is so far away from being competitive. How is that going up?
What I've seen of the SL 2 team they have some good players but the team is lacking finishing power up front and an experienced defender to coordinate the defence lines

chunky-monkey
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by chunky-monkey »

churchill wrote:
chunky-monkey wrote:
What I've seen of the SL 2 team they have some good players but the team is lacking finishing power up front and an experienced defender to coordinate the defence lines
They were well and truly beaten by a very poor Uni SA side Friday. The Vista amateurs of a couple years ago were hands down a better side than the SL2 team. Considering when they started it was made up of quite a few ex amateur C team lads.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

They just need to pick a team that will be ready in 2 to 3 years & work with them.

Their junior base is big enough, they just need to work out how to connect the juniors to the seniors then start a production line.

Shows the need for Saturday Amatuers & colegiate League to form the SL3, then if Sunday teams want to join the door is open for an easy transition.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Barnesy Wore 10 wrote:Word just now filtering through is that Modbury Vista Soccer Club has decided to fold the SAASL side of things....more news to come. Sad day for all those past players and officials that built the club to where it once was.
Historically clubs which have made the transition to FFSA their amateur side has gone down this path, they all have said they can maintain team(s) in both competitions but overtime it hasn't worked out

Good luck to all involved at MVSC
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

They were well and truly beaten by a very poor Uni SA side Friday. The Vista amateurs of a couple years ago were hands down a better side than the SL2 team. Considering when they started it was made up of quite a few ex amateur C team lads.[/quote]

I watched last week's game and it was a few defensive errors in the last 20 mins of the game that they gave away 3 goals - its a slow learning curve keep in mind they have a lot of young players including the inexperienced goalie its going to take time and patience

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

paul merson wrote:They just need to pick a team that will be ready in 2 to 3 years & work with them.

Their junior base is big enough, they just need to work out how to connect the juniors to the seniors then start a production line.

Shows the need for Saturday Amatuers & colegiate League to form the SL3, then if Sunday teams want to join the door is open for an easy transition.
i dont believe SL3 is too far away and thete will be plenty of eoi.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

It’s the only logical way forward

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

N5 1BH wrote:It’s the only logical way forward

pity the hyundei a league does not see it that way. :roll:

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Can someone fix the broken record please

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

THE ORAKLE wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:It’s the only logical way forward

pity the hyundei a league does not see it that way. :roll:
I didn’t know the A league had an opinion on FFSA SL3

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

chunky-monkey wrote:
they have at least made a bold move in my book and of course it will take time to get better
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

haywood djablowme wrote:
Barnesy Wore 10 wrote:Word just now filtering through is that Modbury Vista Soccer Club has decided to fold the SAASL side of things....more news to come. Sad day for all those past players and officials that built the club to where it once was.
Historically clubs which have made the transition to FFSA their amateur side has gone down this path, they all have said they can maintain team(s) in both competitions but overtime it hasn't worked out

Good luck to all involved at MVSC
Some times it doesn't work out, not so much lack of players, but lack of people volunteering to help, with all the off field stuff.
Everyone wants to play but they also want everything done for them, those clubs always struggle
When you try to have teams in both State league, most of your volunteer resources are exhausted , and the SAASL / Collegiate league teams they field, have to be able to look after themselves.
Some clubs are lucky and have the people / players willing to help out, however there are those who have never put nets up, or marked a pitch. or even take turns to wash the bibs. :)

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Dave from Number 12 wrote:
chunky-monkey wrote:
they have at least made a bold move in my book and of course it will take time to get better
are we not constantly being told how strong the SAASL sides are and that SL2 is a bag of sh1te?

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

top half of SL2 is fine and would be competitive with the top few amateur sides. There is a bit of a gulf towards the bottom tho.
saasl may drop back a bit this year with all the defections to SL teams.
Vista will get better over time.
Not sure about some other SL2 sides tho.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

redfred wrote:top half of SL2 is fine and would be competitive with the top few amateur sides. There is a bit of a gulf towards the bottom tho.
Vista have a lot of young inexperienced players that need to build up their strength as they are easily pushed off the ball by the older players and so its always going to be an uphill battle for them to compete against the teams with the older and experienced players - hopefully these players can develop and improve and stay loyal for future years to come

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

redfred wrote:top half of SL2 is fine and would be competitive with the top few amateur sides. There is a bit of a gulf towards the bottom tho.

Agreed, I think the fact that in a small soccer playing state when we have 1, 9 team Semi-Professional AFL Competition and yet 3 semi-professional soccer leagues, is what many take exception to. Paying money for players at SL2 Level and then charging juniors over inflated costs in order to cover these wages is a joke
Are you Bodo in disguise?

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

redfred wrote:
paul merson wrote:They just need to pick a team that will be ready in 2 to 3 years & work with them.

SL3 will not happen for a very long time if at all.
Clubs from SL2 will drop back to amateurs before SL3 is ever started.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

POLONIAROCS wrote:
redfred wrote:

SL3 will not happen for a very long time if at all.
Clubs from SL2 will drop back to amateurs before SL3 is ever started.
why do we need SL3 when SL2 is terrible?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

So it flows straight into saturday amateurs, have different requirements the higher you go, for example if you dont have the right facilities you're capped at SL2, or if you dont have 18's youre capped there, but at the moment SL2 dont have those so have all saturday clubs form on big comp?

If SL2 is terrible as you say, they'll soon be dropped down & replaced with better sides, thats how promotion/relegation works.

As for Vista, if I was in their shoes I'd be hanging on to the over 35s at least, one thing that many NPL clubs struggle with is having past players remain at the club as they dont have a social football outlet, these guys are the ones that help build the club culture, the guys that spend 10+ years at a club.

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

paul merson wrote:So it flows straight into saturday amateurs, have different requirements the higher you go, for example if you dont have the right facilities you're capped at SL2, or if you dont have 18's youre capped there, but at the moment SL2 dont have those so have all saturday clubs form on big comp?

If SL2 is terrible as you say, they'll soon be dropped down & replaced with better sides, thats how promotion/relegation works.

As for Vista, if I was in their shoes I'd be hanging on to the over 35s at least, one thing that many NPL clubs struggle with is having past players remain at the club as they dont have a social football outlet, these guys are the ones that help build the club culture, the guys that spend 10+ years at a club.
This part here is so true!!! when a few of us left Salisbury a little while back we contemplated making a social team in the saasl and linking it directly to the club but for one reason or another it never got up and going.
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

paul merson wrote:
Imagine a Metro Over 35's :)

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

nathanburns15 wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Some of them would have to "retire" first. :wink:
Ignore this signature

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Bomber wrote:
nathanburns15 wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Some of them would have to "retire" first. :wink:
:lol:

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

paul merson wrote:So it flows straight into saturday amateurs, have different requirements the higher you go, for example if you dont have the right facilities you're capped at SL2, or if you dont have 18's youre capped there, but at the moment SL2 dont have those so have all saturday clubs form on big comp?

Vista didn't have an O35's in 2018.