leaving saasl

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

leaving saasl

Post by redfred »

has there ever been such an exit of players in 1 season.
it appears there are numerous sunday div 1 sides with multiple exits.
could this even up the competition and give someone new an opportunity of silverware?
Look forward to see squads pre season comp time.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: leaving saasl

Post by churchill »

redfred wrote:has there ever been such an exit of players in 1 season.
could this even up the competition and give someone new an opportunity of silverware?
I have followed the amateur league for the past few seasons and I have found it run quite poorly compare to the federation and the referees standard is very average and so i'm not surprised the players are leaving.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

churchill wrote:
redfred wrote:has there ever been such an exit of players in 1 season.
I have followed the amateur league for the past few seasons and I have found it run quite poorly compare to the federation and the referees standard is very average and so i'm not surprised the players are leaving.
I have followed both the SAASL and Feds for about 51 years, both have had their ups and downs... :)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

SAASL has recently become a pot for those who've had enough of NPL/SPL and can get decent $$$ for training and playing less (often due to work or family demands).
Sometimes the tides can change , especially if SL1 & SL2 clubs get stronger (financially) and overall.
Ignore this signature

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

think Eliz Downs may have a stronger squad this year

Jogonalex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jogonalex »

Who are some of the noticeable absences this year???
In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.
-- Bill Shankly --

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

I'd say wait until the season starts... with the NPL starting soon I dare say you will see a large number return in March/April when SAASL kick off in anger.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Chico wrote:I'd say wait until the season starts... with the NPL starting soon I dare say you will see a large number return in March/April when SAASL kick off in anger.
True.

Many that wont make the cut at some teams likely to filter through.
Ignore this signature

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

blue moon wrote:think Eliz Downs may have a stronger squad this year
No doubt they will, they have had a strong squad for years now! Surprised that they weren't one of the Sunday Prem club who's players got targeted
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

haywood djablowme wrote:
No doubt they will, they have had a strong squad for years now! Surprised that they weren't one of the Sunday Prem club who's players got targeted
My understanding is there were Downs players targeted...I think the Downs now have a good culture, good spectator base and the resilience to generate some loyalty
and resist the lure of elsewhere.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
haywood djablowme wrote:
My understanding is there were Downs players targeted...I think the Downs now have a good culture, good spectator base and the resilience to generate some loyalty
and resist the lure of elsewhere.
Genuinely would like to see the Downs have a crack at SL/NPL some day. They have a solid base, decent numbers and assume reasonable funds in the kitty.
Would get some potential decent derbies with Playford and Salisbury over time and juniors will get a better look in at representative levels.
Ignore this signature

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Since SAASL is part of FFSA and hence FFA, how do they justify paying more than 200 bucks a week?

Should anyone over that amount be on a professional contract (in amateurs).... :lol:

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

The mighty Downs will take no one lightly. Dont forget the ingles should of but didnt win it last year. Which is now known as the greatest choke in 20 years
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

No doubt they will, they have had a strong squad for years now! Surprised that they weren't one of the Sunday Prem club who's players got targeted[/quote]
and resist the lure of elsewhere.[/quote]

Genuinely would like to see the Downs have a crack at SL/NPL some day. They have a solid base, decent numbers and assume reasonable funds in the kitty.
Would get some potential decent derbies with Playford and Salisbury over time and juniors will get a better look in at representative levels.[/quote]

don't think that will ever happen as sunday is the preferred day to play for the players. the FFA Cup does provide that opportunity to play against the Saturday teams. still smarting over the loss to Modbury in the cup last year - had a real opportunity then to go a fair way in the cup given the draw Modbury subsequently had.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

If requested, you can play home games on Sundays with FFSA. It's something and I assume currently when team is drawn away to a Saturday team in the SAASL cup, there are no major player availability issues?
Ignore this signature

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Bomber wrote:If requested, you can play home games on Sundays with FFSA. It's something and I assume currently when team is drawn away to a Saturday team in the SAASL cup, there are no major player availability issues?
Spot on, Saturday 3pm days of NPL are gone.
There's no reason home games cant be sunday 3pm, just need to be flexible with away games.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

paul merson wrote:
Bomber wrote:If requested, you can play home games on Sundays with FFSA. It's something and I assume currently when team is drawn away to a Saturday team in the SAASL cup, there are no major player availability issues?
There's no reason home games cant be sunday 3pm, just need to be flexible with away games.
How many people really aren’t available to play Saturday afternoons anymore?
It's all in the Delivery!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

paul merson wrote:
I believe the more FFSA moves to traditional SAASL times then the more you will deplete crowd numbers.
Compare Saturday SAASL crowd numbers to Sunday SAASL crowd numbers.
Just becomes football competing with itself. IMHO

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

Couldn't really call Saturdays a crowd. More a small gathering :D

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

paul merson wrote:
would be too big a risk long term I think, issues such as ground fencing, license fees, sponsorships, player payments (they all play for the love of the club don't you know) and need for significant additional revenue add lots of pressure. There is a lot of 2nd & 3rd generational players and supporters at the moment that have been brought up around the club but if that dilutes then not sure how it would all be funded. Fine margins at the moment, the club doesn't run on any significant profits as some would think.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

blue moon wrote:
paul merson wrote:
would be too big a risk long term I think, issues such as ground fencing, license fees, sponsorships, player payments (they all play for the love of the club don't you know) and need for significant additional revenue add lots of pressure. There is a lot of 2nd & 3rd generational players and supporters at the moment that have been brought up around the club but if that dilutes then not sure how it would all be funded. Fine margins at the moment, the club doesn't run on any significant profits as some would think.
spot on, the day to day runnings of NPL clubs (Obviously seeing the inside at Metro) is another level.
Fulltime employees, Technical directors, coaching qualifications ect

A shame as an ultimate goal of progression up & down the divisions would be fantastic, the FFA cup was a huge step forward, gave the cup a good lift & hopefully gave those home clubs a good income & a good buzz around the clubs.