Socceroos - Road to 2019 AFC Asian Cup

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Socceroos - Road to 2019 AFC Asian Cup

Post by eagleboy »

eagleboy wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
eagleboy wrote:Kruse on the bench against Palestine. About BT. Luongo also there, a bit disappointed there but 2:0 up at the moment and playing well.
Kruse dropped win 3-0 , he cannot start against Syria .
Our offside count fell dramatically so did the easy ball giveaway diminish. You can only beat who is in front of you.
How big is tonight's game. If we get through its Japan or Uzbekistan. Tough for a round of 16.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

eagleboy wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
eagleboy wrote:Kruse on the bench against Palestine. FAbout BT. Luongo also there, a bit disappointed there but 2:0 up at the moment and playing well.

Our offside count fell dramatically so did the easy ball giveaway diminish. You can only beat who is in front of you.
How big is tonight's game. If we get through its Japan or Uzbekistan. Tough for a round of 16.
Too right, Eagle man. But the majority of Aussies won’t see it. I’ll explain after our Nation hopefully makes the Round-of-Sixteen.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

This morning win was good but we had moments where we could not get the ball out of defence owing to Syrian intensity. McLaren is no answer up forward and when replaced we looked better. I like Ikonimidis and Mabil.
Aus dodged a penalty call for handball mid second half then had a shocker called late.

Late in the game Arnold took Mabil off and put on Kruse. Kruse could had added a late goal but his touch is woeful.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

eagleboy wrote:This morning win was good but we had moments where we could not get the ball out of defence owing to Syrian intensity. McLaren is no answer up forward and when replaced we looked better. I like Ikonimidis and Mabil.
Aus dodged a penalty call for handball mid second half then had a shocker called late.

Late in the game Arnold took Mabil off and put on Kruse. Kruse could had added a late goal but his touch is woeful.
I agree Ikonimidis and Mabil both had great game, but we do need a number nine, start with Giannou next match. What a crackign goal from young Aussie Mabil, his value is surely going up now.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

ozzie owl wrote:
eagleboy wrote:This morning win was good but we had moments where we could not get the ball out of defence owing to Syrian intensity. McLaren is no answer up forward and when replaced we looked better. I like Ikonimidis and Mabil.

I agree Ikonimidis and Mabil both had great game, but we do need a number nine, start with Giannou next match. What a crackign goal from young Aussie Mabil, his value is surely going up now.
Forgot Giannou, looked good when he came on. Leckie must be back soon. That header that McLaren missed in the first half shows he has no goal sense. He's ok off the bench.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Syria were robbed. Should've had another penalty.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

zzz wrote:Syria were robbed. Should've had another penalty.
What were your thoughts on the penalty given for a Syrian player tripping another Syrian player?
It's all in the Delivery!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Brian the Postman wrote:
What were your thoughts on the penalty given for a Syrian player tripping another Syrian player?
+1

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Brian the Postman wrote:
The socceroos defender left a trailing leg. Fair penalty.
Don't listen to biased commentators.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

zzz wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:
The issue here is now you don't be taken seriously when you point out decent points.

For once, the aussies have a right to be upset about a decision against them.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

zzz wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:
You are just upset because Australia won.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Don' get your knickers in a knot, Australia will have to get past some much better teams than Syria if they want to progress any further.
There are, however, signs that the younger players have the heart for the fight, unlike a few of their seniors.

Hopefully they will be given the chance to show they are the real deal for the 2022 World Cup.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:Don' get your knickers in a knot, Australia will have to get past some much better teams than Syria if they want to progress any further.
There are, however, signs that the younger players have the heart for the fight, unlike a few of their seniors.

Hopefully they will be given the chance to show they are the real deal for the 2022 World Cup.
The real deal, yes I think they may win it as well. :lol:

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

ozzie owl wrote:
zzz wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote: What were your thoughts on the penalty given for a Syrian player tripping another Syrian player?
You are just upset because Australia won.
Why would I be upset?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Brian the Postman wrote:
I watched ESPN Soccernet tonight. They considered it a diabolical decision. 1 Syrian player tripped the other. I am sure the ref was a little confused seeing a player go over and he assumed it was a foul. He had a good game overall as I think most of the officials have had in this tournament. VAR would have picked it up.
Does anyone know if the commentators at in Sydney or in the UAE. Sasa O seems to be struggling with all aspects of the game.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

ESPN? That American channel from that country that invaded Syria? That ESPN?

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:Don' get your knickers in a knot, Australia will have to get past some much better teams than Syria if they want to progress any further.

dont you ever get bored????

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rookie wrote:

dont you ever get bored????
Yes, when I do I take the piss out of the old wannabes.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Vietnam beat Jordan after pens. They looked very impressive and should have won in normal time.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

So we gonna beat the uzbekis? I think we will and 2-1 in extra time , come on lads !
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Dave from Number 12 wrote:So we gonna beat the uzbekis? I think we will and 2-1 in extra time , come on lads !
Through on penalties but over the 120 minutes Australia was the better side. How soft was the yellow given to Rogic.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Didn't watch game but through to quarters so not bad given all the moaning after game 1.

If we can win one more and make semis, then it hasn't been that bad a campaign given the injury list.
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:Didn't watch game but through to quarters so not bad given all the moaning after game 1.

If we can win one more and make semis, then it hasn't been that bad a campaign given the injury list.
We were pretty poor in the first half, but after that pretty much the dominant side, Leckie made a difference when he came on.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Didn't watch game but through to quarters so not bad given all the moaning after game 1.

I'd have thought anything less than the semis is a failure. Look at who you have to play UAE. Then again, it took penalties to beat Uzbekistan.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I'd have thought anything less than the semis is a failure. Look at who you have to play UAE. Then again, it took penalties to beat Uzbekistan.
Normally I'd agree with you, but current team is average and others seemed to have improved a bit. A full squad and I'd want to reach the final at least, no doubt but if we were knocked out next round, I wouldn't be surprised and would almost call it "par".
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Australia should reach the semi's and I predict meet S Korea. S Korea will be a hard team to get over. very skillfull.
The other side of the draw I expect Japan and Iran o meet. Japan have looked average in the tournament. They were lucky to beat a skilful KSA last night.

I hope Aus makes the final but I predict Iran v S Korea.

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

Bomber wrote:

Normally I'd agree with you, but current team is average and others seemed to have improved a bit. A full squad and I'd want to reach the final at least, no doubt but if we were knocked out next round, I wouldn't be surprised and would almost call it "par".
Given the money that has been put into football development over the last decade, including implementing a national curriculum, why is Australia slipping behind these other Asian countries!

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

themessenger wrote:Given the money that has been put into football development over the last decade, including implementing a national curriculum, why is Australia slipping behind these other Asian countries!
First you'd have to compare it to what money and resources these other countries have invested in development.
Time for some righteous indignation

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

probably 4 automatic starters havnt been available, Mooy, Arzani, Nabbout and Lecki - and them being near the best 4 players. Take that out of any team and you would see the effect.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Stitch This wrote:
themessenger wrote:Given the money that has been put into football development over the last decade, including implementing a national curriculum, why is Australia slipping behind these other Asian countries!
First you'd have to compare it to what money and resources these other countries have invested in development.
You might consider none of our underage teams has performed well at any tournament in years. Its credit that our Socceroos actually achieve what they do considering the lack of high end talent coming through.