Rangers v Celtic

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Rangers v Celtic

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Hugely disappointed with today's result and Celtic's performance in general. All said and done the scoreline flattered Celtic as Rangers could have won by three clear goals. Rangers didn't go all out attack but they pressed Celtic and didn't let them play the ball out from the defence and through the midfield, cutting out the attacking players. This caused Celtic to constantly rush and misplace passes. This enabled Rangers to dominate possession and the game in general.
Gerrard must take the plaudits and Rodgers must go and scratch his head to come up with a solution. To be perfectly honest the result should not come as a huge surprise as Celtic have been fairly inconsistent throughout the season but this performance must rank as one of their poorest. Celtic outplayed all over the park.
Congratulations to Rangers as they deserved the victory and were worthy winners. That said some of the officiating was truly woeful. Morelos kicks and stamps on opponents and not the hint of a caution. Several fouls in midfield NOT awarded to Celtic and when they are advantage could have been applied whilst several softies awarded to Rangers.
I believe that Celtic will prevail and win the title but Rangers are pressing them pretty hard. Should make for an interesting title race and to be honest I am rather surprised.
Perhaps Rodgers has been too loyal to players such as Lustig (a bomb scare) and Brown (fantastic commitment but lacking the legs).

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Rangers v Celtic

Post by eagleboy »

thebeautifulgame wrote:Hugely disappointed with today's result and Celtic's performance in general. All said and done the scoreline flattered Celtic as Rangers could have won by three clear goals. Rangers didn't go all out attack but they pressed Celtic and didn't let them play the ball out from the defence and through the midfield, cutting out the attacking players. This caused Celtic to constantly rush and misplace passes. This enabled Rangers to dominate possession and the game in general.
Gerrard must take the plaudits and Rodgers must go and scratch his head to come up with a solution. To be perfectly honest the result should not come as a huge surprise as Celtic have been fairly inconsistent throughout the season but this performance must rank as one of their poorest. Celtic outplayed all over the park.
Congratulations to Rangers as they deserved the victory and were worthy winners. That said some of the officiating was truly woeful. Morelos kicks and stamps on opponents and not the hint of a caution. Several fouls in midfield NOT awarded to Celtic and when they are advantage could have been applied whilst several softies awarded to Rangers.
I believe that Celtic will prevail and win the title but Rangers are pressing them pretty hard. Should make for an interesting title race and to be honest I am rather surprised.
Perhaps Rodgers has been too loyal to players such as Lustig (a bomb scare) and Brown (fantastic commitment but lacking the legs).
Shocking performance by Celtic. Scottish football is not a good standard nowadays but the Old Firm match usually brings out the best. Rangers should have won 5:0 at least. Celtics passing was woeful but Rangers pressure was unrelenting.
I thought the ref was ok even he was reluctant to give yellow cards earlier however Morelos is one that was lucky to remain on the pitch. VAR would have bounced him a few times.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

They'll blame it all on Rojic playing in a 'Mickey Mouse' game, instead of for his club. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Gordon kept Celtic in the game and it took a deflected home goal to beat him, Celtic nearly got an equalizer but they really didnt deserve it overall.

Well played by Rangers but I was surprised how Celtic have dropped off in quality compared to the last few years - not sure if its injuries or lack of player purchases that have hurt them this year?

But in saying that they are still top with a game in hand so it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Chris Sutton was spot on.

Glad to see the good guys get the win.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:Chris Sutton was spot on.

If ever there was a 'Mickey Mouse' competition, it has to be the Scottish 'Premier' League since Rangers went bust and were relegated.
It was a one-club league for the time between.

And Sutton wouldn't know anything about quality, even if it hit him on the head, which was about the only way he ever scored. :lol: :P

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

The overall standard is becoming more even between the teams but that standard isn't high but considering the dollars available to Scottish clubs they do a pretty good job IMO.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

If ever there was a 'Mickey Mouse' competition, it has to be the Scottish 'Premier' League since Rangers went bust and were relegated.

And Sutton wouldn't know anything about quality, even if it hit him on the head, which was about the only way he ever scored. :lol: :P

97/98 he was the league's joint league top scorer. Pretty sure they didn't all just "hit him on the head".

Rangers v Celtic is a bigger game than the asian cup.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Surprised to see you show so much love for a club that’s only a few years old
It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:

Surprised to see you show so much love for a club that’s only a few years old
Nice try :lol:

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:

97/98 he was the league's joint league top scorer. Pretty sure they didn't all just "hit him on the head".

Rangers v Celtic is a bigger game than the asian cup.
One is a game, one is a competition.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

and that one game is bigger than that competition.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

meanwhile the Socceroos managed to injure their Scottish recruit in a training run for the mickey mouse tournament

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote:and that one game is bigger than that competition.
Sadly it’s not. It may be to the one’s involved but more people will watch Asian Cup. There are so many Asians the numbers are always high.

Do many outside UK care about two rubbish teams?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Back for Christmas wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:and that one game is bigger than that competition.
Sadly it’s not. It may be to the one’s involved but more people will watch Asian Cup. There are so many Asians the numbers are always high.

Do many outside UK care about two rubbish teams?

Yes, many care. One of the biggest derbies in the world. Fisher v Tunbridge Wells is bigger than the asian cup.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

God is an Englishman

Yes, many care. One of the biggest derbies in the world.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

please tell me you are trolling.........unless you are including it in the 'top 100 derbies in the world' list
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:
God is an Englishman

please tell me you are trolling.........unless you are including it in the 'top 100 derbies in the world' list
Ever been to one?

Let me guess - they're bigger in greece. If you think it's not one of the biggest in the world then you don't know football.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

yeah right....cause the supporters at Boca Juniors vs River Plate derbies sit there wondering if theirs compares to the one played in Glasgow...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

For rivalry and hatred I would have it at number two, for global interest a lot lower.

Socceroos v Oman is far bigger :-)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:yeah right....cause the supporters at Boca Juniors vs River Plate derbies sit there wondering if theirs compares to the one played in Glasgow...
That's 1. Well done.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

MegaBonus wrote:yeah right....cause the supporters at Boca Juniors vs River Plate derbies sit there wondering if theirs compares to the one played in Glasgow...
That's 1. Well done.

The Manchester and Liverpool derbies are much more intense.

I remember going to a ManCity v ManUre match with my Father-In-Law (to be) during the 1972/1973 season, when the fans were separated by huge fences, with covered walkways to keep them apart and the Police patrolled these corridors in wet weather gear, covered with plastic ponchos, helmets and face shields, to protect them from the spit being aimed at them and the opposing fans.
The fans were also using catapults to fire spit bombs and stones at each other, it was a war scene, not a Football match, I hardly even saw the action on the field as I was too busy dodging missiles.
Every so often a gate would open and half-a-dozen police would charge into the crowd to arrest some one and drag them out by the hair (if they had any) or their legs.
This all went on whilst the rest of the crowd threw insults and objects at each other and sang songs of hatred of one another.
Luckily I wore wet weather gear and a 'Sou' Wester', as it was raining heavily prior to the game.

Now that was an experience I'll never forget and the last time I ever went to a Manchester derby match.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

man u v man c isn't even the biggest in the NW, let alone England, Let alone Britain or the world.

As for liverpool v everton :lol:
Last edited by God is an Englishman on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:
That's 1. Well done.

I remember going to a ManCity v ManUre match with my Father-In-Law (to be) during the 1972/1973 season, when the fans were separated by huge fences, with covered walkways to keep them apart and the Police patrolled these corridors in wet weather gear, covered with plastic ponchos, helmets and face shields, to protect them from the spit being aimed at them and the opposing fans.
The fans were also using catapults to fire spit bombs and stones at each other, it was a war scene, not a Football match, I hardly even saw the action on the field as I was too busy dodging missiles.
Every so often a gate would open and half-a-dozen police would charge into the crowd to arrest some one and drag them out by the hair (if they had any) or their legs.
This all went on whilst the rest of the crowd threw insults and objects at each other and sang songs of hatred of one another.
Luckily I wore wet weather gear and a 'Sou' Wester', as it was raining heavily prior to the game.

Now that was an experience I'll never forget and the last time I ever went to a Manchester derby match.
Do you have the year right? Fencing wasn't in then.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Now that was an experience I'll never forget and the last time I ever went to a Manchester derby match.[/quote]

Do you have the year right? Fencing wasn't in then.[/quote]

It was at Maine Road and, I believe, Old Trafford.

I left England in 1974 (1973/1974 season) and fences were installed in most major stadiums then.

The following year (if I remember correctly) saw the first death from crowd violence at my home town Blackpool.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote: The following year (if I remember correctly) saw the first death from crowd violence at my home town Blackpool.

Blackpool - bloody hooligans.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:The Manchester and Liverpool derbies are much more intense.

Do you have the year right? Fencing wasn't in then.[/quote]

I left England in 1974 (1973/1974 season) and fences were installed in most major stadiums then.

The following year (if I remember correctly) saw the first death from crowd violence at my home town Blackpool.[/quote]

Another example of your inability to quote, who will you blame this on?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:The Manchester and Liverpool derbies are much more intense.

Do you have the year right? Fencing wasn't in then.

The following year (if I remember correctly) saw the first death from crowd violence at my home town Blackpool.
No fences at that game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahWNsKDO4ds

Liverpool November 1975 - no fences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P19J4qWrqFc

At Wolves - Liverpool win the league in May 1976 - no fences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtxovZDo14o

So what were you saying?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

It says you (Blackpool) started fencing after the incident, so after you left UK, but I think Old Trafford did, after a knife was thrown a few years before. I will see what I can search and find out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-28888465

You are providing too much fake news for my liking. I like facts :-)

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

MegaBonus wrote:
God is an Englishman

Ever been to one?

Let me guess - they're bigger in greece. If you think it's not one of the biggest in the world then you don't know football.

+1

If you have never been to one please do not make silly comments. I have been to several and they never fail for passion (and sometimes lunacy, as was demonstrated in 1979/80 Scottish Cup Final). Without doubt one of the biggest derbies in the world. If you are in any doubt just ask guys like Dalglish, Souness, Larsson, Gascoigne etc. who know a thing or two about the World game, their opinions should be respected and not ridiculed. Larsson's opinion is that it beats the El Clasico for atmosphere (and no he never said the same for the quality of the game).

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Its a HUGE derby but to me the only gloss off is the fact they play each other so many times these days.
Ignore this signature