AUW V PG 2-2

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

AUW V PG 2-2

Post by Mr Red »

https://www.adelaideunited.com.au/match ... 18/1022470

Well done girls on still being undefeated - played some good stuff in the first half and unlucky not to get the win with the chances they had in the second half but considering the heat both teams played a pretty good game.

Pitch looked fantastic on TV. :wink: Are AU playing there youth games there in the winter also?

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: AUW V PG 2-2

Post by nathanburns15 »

Mr Red wrote:https://www.adelaideunited.com.au/match ... 18/1022470

Well done girls on still being undefeated - played some good stuff in the first half and unlucky not to get the win with the chances they had in the second half but considering the heat both teams played a pretty good game.

Pitch looked fantastic on TV. :wink: Are AU playing there youth games there in the winter also?
AU unlucky not to get 3 points IMO. Ivan has got the girls playing some good football.

AU Youth will play NYL at Marden and then back at The Parks for NPL.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

nathanburns15 wrote:
Mr Red wrote:
AU Youth will play NYL at Marden and then back at The Parks for NPL.
ok ta

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Well done to Ivan and the team. The fact that Ivan has been around for a couple of years is beginning to show. His visa recruits have bene sensational. Local talent has also been good. I'm liking Emily Hodgson. Maturing into a disciplined defender. Willacy in goals is absolutely a master stroke. Unless something happens, Macca has no chance of getting a shot. Willacy has prepared herself very well for this W League season. Her GK coach would be extremely proud.

C Grant doesn't look overawed by the big stage. If not for some good defending, Charlie was headed to goal.

Only 2 subs used. Gutsy Ivan but I agree.

This team is going places.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Thought Amber Brooks was excellent last night. Consistently won the ball in the air and in tackles. The imports this year are great quality.
Laura Johns has locked down her place at LB as well, great to see her doing so well.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I agree magnet.

Great to finally see and read more positives about the squad.

Whilst our local talent is good and is up to the challenge, its the little things that the professionals do that make a difference.

It was an excellent game to watch. Wished it would be televised on free to air. Foxtel restricts the viewing audience

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

billy the kid wrote:I agree magnet.

Great to finally see and read more positives about the squad.

Whilst our local talent is good and is up to the challenge, its the little things that the professionals do that make a difference.

It was an excellent game to watch. Wished it would be televised on free to air. Foxtel restricts the viewing audience
It was on SBS.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks. I've only watched it on Fox.

In that case SBS...............Good

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

billy the kid wrote:His visa recruits have been sensational. Local talent has also been good. I'm liking Emily Hodgson. Maturing into a disciplined defender. Willacy in goals is absolutely a master stroke. Only 2 subs used. Gutsy Ivan but I agree.
A very entertaining game played at a very good standard considering the difficult heat conditions last night.
Also agree the overseas players have fitted in well & are playing their part but a special mention for Latsko who is an upgrade on the very good Makenzy Doniak from last season. Latsko is not only scoring goals but is doing a heap of work off the ball, making runs & putting pressure on their defenders. I am just loving her effort & what she brings to the team.
The match could have gone either way but fortunately a foul that never was on Johns (went to ground far too easily) swung the balance back to us. A side note to any refs out there, if a player is already on a yellow please don't be too quick to brandish the 2nd yellow especially on a minor infringement or in this case a 'nothing free-kick'. A stern talking to reminding them are already on a yellow would suffice.
BTK mentioned above liking Hodgson but unfortunately she made little impression on me & for mine needs to be much better.
I couldn't believe played the entire match & wasn't subbed at HT. Even more unbelievable was why Sam Kerr switched to playing on the right wing in the second half (Hodgson would have been thinking thank God for that).
Willacy is proving her worth in goals & again was a solid performer. One thing though if you decide to come out of your goals for the cross then you must be confident of getting a fist to the ball, unfortunately this didn't happen & we conceded the 1st goal.
Thought Heyman (no doubt is class) wasn't as effective as we know she can be but credit must go to the hard-nose Glory defenders.
A lot of positives going forward & the next couple of matches for mine will determine if we are to be a serious contender this season.

One last thing that left me scratching my head was Ivan's substitutions not to mention completely dumbfounded as to why he didn't use Campagnale who came on last w/end scored a late equaliser but last night was rewarded with zero minutes. Very strange decision.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Fair assessment Scar however two pints I disagree. E Hodgson and Campagnale.

E Hodgson is a disciplined hard working and smart player. Kept it up for the game and whilst you may say she needs to do better I'd be interested in what she needs to improve because there are many in the team that need to do better. You highlight Heyman.

Campagnale and why she was not subbed in. Given the conditions I'd agree fresh legs were necessary, I don't think Campagnale was the answer. Yes she scored a last minute goal (her first) however, she went from starting to on the bench with minimal time on the pitch. Ivan's game plan requires hard running and speed.

I'd be interest to read your comments about Holmes' second half. I think she dropped right out and was MIA.

Ivan has set the benchmark on what he requires and will pick a squad that delivers his game plan.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Gunny very good too and covers much ground.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

billy the kid wrote:I'd be interest to read your comments about Holmes' second half. I think she dropped right out and was MIA.
Holmes certainly needed to do more but I was more disappointed with the sub Hodgson (no.7) as she made almost no impact hence my earlier comments re: Ivan's subs.

Meanwhile if Emily (the right fullback) is to successfully compete at this level then needs to build upper body strength (yes I know is only 18 but just look at Ellie Carpenter). Also when defending Emily needs to be much tighter on her opposition. Her forays into the forward lines (down the line & usually not too successful) should not be at the expense of sound defending which is the priority.
Having said the above I must take the opportunity to compliment Johns on her very successful transition to the left fulback position.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Homes has had a good W-League season thus far. Not sure what happened in the second half. Fitness? Fatigue?

Emily has something that gym work cannot develop. Hunger and tenacity. And an ability to focus on the task. The strength stuff can and will occur. Cannot fault her.

Number 7 Hodgson is an interesting player. I don't think she's ever been settled when she goes between college, WNPL and now W League. I cannot fault her enthusiasm and desire to make an impact however, it needs to be tempered with playing a team game and playing your spot. She could do worse that take a leaf out of the US players and watch how they go about their game. Its not about being the star attraction Its about being the consummate team player. This is something she needs to work on and quickly.
scar wrote:
billy the kid wrote:I'd be interest to read your comments about Holmes' second half. I think she dropped right out and was MIA.
Holmes certainly needed to do more but I was more disappointed with the sub Hodgson (no.7) as she made almost no impact hence my earlier comments re: Ivan's subs.

Meanwhile if Emily (the right fullback) is to successfully compete at this level then needs to build upper body strength (yes I know is only 18 but just look at Ellie Carpenter). Also when defending Emily needs to be much tighter on her opposition. Her forays into the forward lines (down the line & usually not too successful) should not be at the expense of sound defending which is the priority.
Having said the above I must take the opportunity to compliment Johns on her very successful transition to the left fulback position.