Cahill proves he's one of our greatest

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Cahill proves he's one of our greatest

Post by Old Master »

I just hope the FFA has the intelligence to keep him involved somehow as he has so much experience and could continue to be an inspiration for upcoming players.

I think in Boyle they have found Tim's successor as long as they provide him with the necessary talent for him to work with.

That means utilising the upcoming talents of players like Mabil, McClaren - with whom he has developed a great understanding at Hibs - and Arzani - when he is fit again.

I think that Degenek should be used more as a Central Defender, as he has the pace that is lacking in others in the centre of defence.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote:I just hope the FFA has the intelligence to keep him involved somehow as he has so much experience and could continue to be an inspiration for upcoming players.

I think in Boyle they have found Tim's successor as long as they provide him with the necessary talent for him to work with.

That means utilising the upcoming talents of players like Mabil, McClaren - with whom he has developed a great understanding at Hibs - and Arzani - when he is fit again.

I think that Degenek should be used more as a Central Defender, as he has the pace that is lacking in others in the centre of defence.
Martin Boyle is more of a winger so not sure if he is a replacement for Tim Cahill. IMO the central striker position is still a problem spot for Australia.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:
Old Master wrote:I just hope the FFA has the intelligence to keep him involved somehow as he has so much experience and could continue to be an inspiration for upcoming players.

Martin Boyle is more of a winger so not sure if he is a replacement for Tim Cahill. IMO the central striker position is still a problem spot for Australia.
How many games have you watched him play?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

How many games have you watched him play?
Probably played for one of the teams he follows. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Tim Cahill wasn't a true striker either, he just ended up as the only Aussie that could do the job consistently enough to be given the position.

Boyle will probably end up the same as not many Aussies are developed in through the Juniors, NPL, and A-League, due to the constant 'need' to push them up the age groups until they lose interest due to injury, etc.

I've seen it happen regularly in the NPL Juniors over the years - let them play in their own age group until they are physically and mentally ready to move up.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:Tim Cahill wasn't a true striker either, he just ended up as the only Aussie that could do the job consistently enough to be given the position.

Boyle will probably end up the same as not many Aussies are developed in through the Juniors, NPL, and A-League, due to the constant 'need' to push them up the age groups until they lose interest due to injury, etc.

I've seen it happen regularly in the NPL Juniors over the years - let them play in their own age group until they are physically and mentally ready to move up.

I actually agree with your first point. Peobably seen him play 50 games in Midfield.

My son played up 2 years last year and he loved it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:Tim Cahill wasn't a true striker either, he just ended up as the only Aussie that could do the job consistently enough to be given the position.

I actually agree with your first point. Peobably seen him play 50 games in Midfield.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

you agree so much that you repeated yourself... 3 times!
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Wayne Kerr wrote:you agree so much that you repeated yourself... 3 times!

I have that effect on him. :oops:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Wayne Kerr wrote:you agree so much that you repeated yourself... 3 times!
You have to repeat yourself with him, the senile old fool doesn’t remember otherwise.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Bomber wrote:He mentioned about giving something more back to the game over here, so maybe a coach in the making? He'd be a good assistant for someone assuming he wanted to start slowly.
Yeah we saw how he wanted to "give back" when he took a big wage out of Melbourne City and then spat the dummy and naffed on when they didn't pick him....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Redback wrote:
Bomber wrote:He mentioned about giving something more back to the game over here, so maybe a coach in the making? He'd be a good assistant for someone assuming he wanted to start slowly.
Yeah we saw how he wanted to "give back" when he took a big wage out of Melbourne City and then spat the dummy and naffed on when they didn't pick him....

He could have got a lot more money elsewhere.

He turned down a lot more money from forest to sign for Millwall.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Redback wrote:

He could have got a lot more money elsewhere.

He turned down a lot more money from forest to sign for Millwall.

And look how you treated one of your greatest ever players.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
And look how you treated one of your greatest ever players.

Finally some acceptance of good things done by Millwall. He was treated like a prodigal son. He loved coming home.