Sean Dyche's opinion on England v Spain

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Sean Dyche's opinion on England v Spain

Post by Old Master »

Sean Dyche: England win in Spain showed you 'can't get drunk on stats', says Burnley boss

By Simon Stone BBC Sport From the section Football 50

England scored three first-half goals against Spain in Seville

England's win over Spain - achieved with only 27% possession - proved the futility of "getting drunk on stats", says Burnley manager Sean Dyche.

The 3-2 win in Seville was the Three Lions' first victory in Spain for 31 years and the hosts' first home defeat in a competitive game in 15 years.

As well as their low possessions share, the visitors also did not win a corner.

Dyche said: "The beautiful game? No. Did we win? Get in, British bulldog, let's have a bit of that."

Speaking before Burnley's trip to Manchester City on Saturday - where the Clarets had 23% possession in the corresponding fixture last season - Dyche said he has noticed a trend in the analysis of matches that he disagrees with.

He was encouraged to see praise for England midfielder Eric Dier's crunching tackle on Spain defender Sergio Ramos during Monday's Nations League match - even though it earned the Tottenham man a yellow card.

"Virtually every comment was that the tackle changed the game," Dyche said. "A tackle? Is that allowed? We have been hearing for ages that 400 passes change games.

"Who remembers the last time someone wrote about a tackle changing a game? Who knows, it might start a revolution and we will be allowed to tackle again."

Preview: Manchester City v Burnley - team news, stats and quotes

The stats

Dyche reeled them all off in an entertaining five-minute monologue - 27% possession, 25 shots on goal for Spain to five for England, 12 corners versus zero, 630 passes against 219.

Despite this, not only did Gareth Southgate's team win, they earned praise for a performance some claimed was more significant than last summer's run to the World Cup semi-finals.

Dyche said: "If you are playing 'the right way' with possession-based football, you should have made about 275-325 passes in the first half of a game.

"We played different football. We put it long. We put it in behind. We asked questions. We used our pace.

"And the best place to use pace is where? Behind the back four. You can't use pace when you are in front of them because you've only got four yards to run in. You have got 54 yards to run in behind. That's common sense.

"The fundamental point is fans want to win. The result on Monday was quality; statistically we were annihilated. That is why you can't get drunk on stats."
Technical director discussion

Meanwhile, Dyche confirmed Burnley are discussing whether to appoint a technical director and he believes developments within the modern game have produced a need for a bridge between club business and his day-to-day work as a manager.

"When I first came here I did a lot. I used to deal with agents and contracts," said Dyche, who has been in charge at Turf Moor since 2012.

"But the game is changing. There is an added focus to some of the bits that happen in between, whether you are dealing with agents, contracts, recruitment, academy structures, coaching staff.

"That is more the actual

Dyche makes some interesting comments that AU followers would know all about. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Sean Dyche's opinion on England v Spain

Post by ozzie owl »

England Squad for upcoming matches

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (DC United)*, Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal), Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth), Harry Winks (Tottenham

Good to see Callum Wilson get call up for his performances at Bournemouth this season. I would have thought better served picking Mason Mount over some like Delph who really only a bit player at Man City.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Good to see Jadon Sancho have great game in his first start for England. He certainly looks the goods and is benefiting from the game time he is getting for Dortmond.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:England Squad for upcoming matches

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (DC United)*, Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal), Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth), Harry Winks (Tottenham

Good to see Callum Wilson get call up for his performances at Bournemouth this season. I would have thought better served picking Mason Mount over some like Delph who really only a bit player at Man City.
Delph was outstanding against Croatia. A bit player for Man City is likely a far better footballer (Sterling excepted) than anybody playing for Derby. Mount's time will come if he ever gets into the Chelsea team.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:England Squad for upcoming matches

Delph was outstanding against Croatia. A bit player for Man City is likely a far better footballer (Sterling excepted) than anybody playing for Derby. Mount's time will come if he ever gets into the Chelsea team.
I agree he had a great game but I was surprised as Southgate said if you are not getting game time you will struggle to get picked .

The atmosphere in Wembley was pretty electric sure beats those meaningless friendlies the Nations League has certainly been a surprise .

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Like a lot of football these days, home games are full of strings. Away days are always better.

Sean Dyche - good Millwall boy.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

England had more of the game during the Croatia match,funny how during Gomez's throw in the linesmen didn't get him to throw it in again as he clearly stepped on the line.I agree the games in the nations league surely pick up a lot more interest by fans & media alike compared to old friendlies.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I meant foot went over the line during throw in,stepping on is allowed.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

predrag wrote:I meant foot went over the line during throw in,stepping on is allowed.
I'm highly doubtful that the officials even bother with foul throws these days, you see loads of them.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Totally true,i cant remember last time it was an issue,the rules just give me something to point out after a loss.