Best of 3 AFL Grand Finals for a decider

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Best of 3 AFL Grand Finals for a decider

Post by Con M »

WTF? Did I hear correctly on FiveAAFL today that the AFL is contemplating a future best-of-3 games to decide the winner?

Are they fugn mad? Are we becoming so Americanised?

Apparently Sydney Swannettes are determined to move to this method because of their push that a Grand Final should be rotated away from the traditional venue of the hallowed MCG. Ditto determination by the Camry Crowies to have the G.F. rotated to Adelaide Oval.

Have they never heard that the F.A. Cup Final is always played @ Wembley (apart from that period when the National Stadium was being refurbished/rebuilt)?

Madness!

Oval

Bodø
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Best of 3 AFL Grand Finals for a decider

Post by Bodø »

Ah, but the FA Cup doesn't determine a *cough cough* 'league champion'.
Kawasaki Versys 1000
Yamaha Xmax 300
Honda Goldwing 1800

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Con M

Have they never heard that the F.A. Cup Final is always played @ Wembley (apart from that period when the National Stadium was being refurbished/rebuilt)?

:roll: :roll: :roll: so you criticise the 'Americanisation' of the procedure but are all for advocating something British....BTW, your FA example is irrelevant.....one is to decide a cup, the other is to decide a championship...

I'm all for it, not for any other reason but to highlight the stupidity and the inequity of having it 1 location only....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Stupid idea. All about $$$. Cant see it happening
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^^^^^^ - you mean like having a 'F.I.X.ture' rather than a draw....or maybe having the Dons play the ANZAC game every year....c'mon Bomber, why not make everything about the $$$$?
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^ - you mean like having a 'F.I.X.ture' rather than a draw....or maybe having the Dons play the ANZAC game every year....c'mon Bomber, why not make everything about the $$$$?
Whilst you have uneven games (ie no home and away), there will always be conflict about who plays who & Anzac Day is a sell-out every year, why would they want to change that?

But seriously, think about it - 3 GF's? Insane
Ignore this signature

Bodø
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bodø »

I think that about one. :wink:
Kawasaki Versys 1000
Yamaha Xmax 300
Honda Goldwing 1800

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^ - you mean like having a 'F.I.X.ture' rather than a draw....or maybe having the Dons play the ANZAC game every year....c'mon Bomber, why not make everything about the $$$$?
Whilst you have uneven games (ie no home and away), there will always be conflict about who plays who & Anzac Day is a sell-out every year, why would they want to change that?

The big issue is how the AFL has locked away the GF at the MCG for another 40 years.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote:
Bomber wrote:

The big issue is how the AFL has locked away the GF at the MCG for another 40 years.
Don't see the problem with it. It's the home of football (AFL).
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

and?????????? almost as bad an argument as "what other ground holds 100000 spectators?
Last edited by MegaBonus on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Well lets play it at Thebarton Oval if that makes you happier.

If your mob makes the GF, I gather you have no intention of going to Melbourne then?
Ignore this signature

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

3 GFs what a joke lol will never happen, just like the GF will never be anywhere other than the MCG. I'm certainly not a supporter of anything Victorian but the MCG is the right place to have the GF each year.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Bomber wrote:

Since Anzac Day is a sell out, why not change the teams then?

Collingwood & Essendon will get 70-80K for a normal game, give Anzac Day to St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs and instead of 25K, they'll get 100K

A loss of 30K for a gain of 75K. Win!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Slinky_Pete wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Collingwood & Essendon will get 70-80K for a normal game, give Anzac Day to St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs and instead of 25K, they'll get 100K

Do you think St Kilda v WB would be a sell-out though? I doubt it - maybe once in a blue moon.

As I see it, two teams got off their muscat (well one really) and went to the AFL to make a tradition of it. Two powerhouse teams then made it a big success and now all other teams are whingeing that they don't get a piece of the action.

Why do Richmond/Carlton always open the season (lately)? Why do Collingwood/Melbourne always play on Queens Birthday Monday?

If you want "special fixtures", go to AFL, present your case (as a partnership of two clubs) and if it has merit, I'm sure they'll look at it and probably oblige.
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

the old we started it first argument......Nth Melbourne pioneered Fri night footy.....maybe they should own that time slot.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Con M wrote:Have they never heard that the F.A. Cup Final is always played @ Wembley (apart from that period when the National Stadium was being refurbished/rebuilt)?
Not quite true.

You're seem quite annoyed about something that you normally pour scorn on.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:the old we started it first argument......Nth Melbourne pioneered Fri night footy.....maybe they should own that time slot.
Maybe they should! But that was back in old VFL days and given all the whingeing from so many (especially interstate) since, you can see why they give more varied and "bigger games" that timeslot (even though when Carlton got lots of them in recent years, it makes you wonder).

End of, you know how TV ratings and $$$ for the rights work, yeah?
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

ultimately.....when the premiership is decided by a 1 off game, as many as the factors not controlled by the participating teams should not favour 1 over the other......and the venue is one such factor.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:ultimately.....when the premiership is decided by a 1 off game, as many as the factors not controlled by the participating teams should not favour 1 over the other......and the venue is one such factor.
Gee, I hope Spurs don't make the FA Cup Final this season - the opposition will be up in arms about the likely venue.

When you have an uneven draw, majority of teams coming from one city, only 2 grounds there (not counting Geelong*) there will always be unhappy people, but bottom line, one game at the MCG is the only logical GF decider.

If anything Geelong are the worst off - their "home games" are often at the expense of actually playing "away".

And if it weren't for $$$, you reckon Hawthorn supporters (team who has massive membership numbers) would be thrilled playing in Tassie for half their home games?
Ignore this signature

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Bomber wrote:
Slinky_Pete wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Do you think St Kilda v WB would be a sell-out though? I doubt it - maybe once in a blue moon.

As I see it, two teams got off their muscat (well one really) and went to the AFL to make a tradition of it. Two powerhouse teams then made it a big success and now all other teams are whingeing that they don't get a piece of the action.

Why do Richmond/Carlton always open the season (lately)? Why do Collingwood/Melbourne always play on Queens Birthday Monday?

If you want "special fixtures", go to AFL, present your case (as a partnership of two clubs) and if it has merit, I'm sure they'll look at it and probably oblige.
But you said "Anzac Day is a sell-out every year". Shouldn't matter who plays then.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Its a sell-out every year because Essendon play Collingwood. Not hard to work out.
Ignore this signature

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Bomber wrote:Its a sell-out every year because Essendon play Collingwood. Not hard to work out.
Exactly. These type of games sell out because of who is playing not the event date they are playing on.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote:ultimately.....when the premiership is decided by a 1 off game, as many as the factors not controlled by the participating teams should not favour 1 over the other......and the venue is one such factor.
The reality is that the last 7 GF have involved one Victorian team and one interstate side with only two won by the interstate team.

The MCG might hold 100k but the allocation to MCG and AFL members severely restricts tickets to the two competing clubs.

Interstate fans faced with exhorbitant guaging by airlines and hotels. We had a West Coast supporter on our cruise who was flying from Zagreb to Melbourne return for not much more than Perth to Melbourne return on the same days. Imagine if you had Freo v West Coast GF in Melbourne makes no sense.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

mate, youre preaching to the converted....it Bomber who's holding out....

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:mate, youre preaching to the converted....it Bomber who's holding out....
Sounds more like to me that you're the ones whingeing. You knew the "rules" when you joined the competition.
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

so, youll never advocate for change in any aspect of your life then????

BTW - you are aware that the AFL entered into clandestine negotiations with the Vic govt to keep the GF in Melbourne without the express knowledge of clubs????

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

MegaBonus wrote:so, youll never advocate for change in any aspect of your life then????

BTW - you are aware that the AFL entered into clandestine negotiations with the Vic govt to keep the GF in Melbourne without the express knowledge of clubs????
Simple fact is that no other stadium is capable of holding 100k people for a game like this. The more bums on seats the better for everyone involved.

Got any proof of these negotiations that supposedly took place?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

1 - TV audiences count.....not bums on seats
2 - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ins ... 4z9jq.html

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:so, youll never advocate for change in any aspect of your life then????

Advocate change in any aspect of my life? Really? Just because I see a tradition for what it is, see that playing best of 3 is stupid, suddenly I don't advocate changes in my life? Very long bow to draw there Mega.

Don't care about negotiations that may or may not have taken place as its the norm in politics. They obviously care enough about holding on to major sporting events and get things done as opposed to the procrastination that goes on here.

Shall we have the Melbourne Cup switched to Morphettville because there might be a few SA horses and jockeys involved?

PS - if Spurs make the FA Cup Final this season, should the Wembley venue be switched?
Ignore this signature

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

MegaBonus wrote:1 - TV audiences count.....not bums on seats
2 - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ins ... 4z9jq.html
Gotta keep the fans happy and buy having as many as possible to see the game live is a big plus.

Fair enough, good on them I say. It sound like smart business practice.

There is no good reason to move the GF from the MCG, it would only do more harm than good.

For the record I'm a Crows supporter and definitely despise almost everything Victorian.