European super league.

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

European super league.

Post by predrag »

So 16 of Europe's biggest/richest clubs are interested in forming a league of their own,killing the champions league as it is.I would like it to go back to the good old days where actual champions of each country were in it.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: European super league.

Post by thebeautifulgame »

predrag wrote:So 16 of Europe's biggest/richest clubs are interested in forming a league of their own,killing the champions league as it is.I would like it to go back to the good old days where actual champions of each country were in it.
Couldn't agree with you more but unfortunately it is just the fat cats looking after themselves. Wages and transfer fees are truly absurd at this level and this will only encourage the insanity.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

predrag wrote:So 16 of Europe's biggest/richest clubs are interested in forming a league of their own,killing the champions league as it is.I would like it to go back to the good old days where actual champions of each country were in it.
+1

Sadly the big clubs rule the game.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

They will have to get it past UEFA first and they are unlikely to kill the Golden Goose just so the rich clubs can make even more money.

Then they'd have to get it past FIFA and that would never happen.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:They will have to get it past UEFA first and they are unlikely to kill the Golden Goose just so the rich clubs can make even more money.

Then they'd have to get it past FIFA and that would never happen.
What could uefa do if they chose to have a breakaway league away from the corruption of UEFA and FIFA?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

they would be pariahs in their own domestic leagues......wont happen!!
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:they would be pariahs in their own domestic leagues......wont happen!!

They wouldn't be playing in their domestic leagues.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote:they would be pariahs in their own domestic leagues......wont happen!!
Good article question is do UEFA and FIFA have the balls to call their bluff.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The idea, in another form, has already been knocked back by UEFA previously and informed that any player who plays in a breakaway league will be banned for life from working in any position, playing, coaching, administration etc in competitions under UEFA and FIFA's umbrella.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:The idea, in another form, has already been knocked back by UEFA previously and informed that any player who plays in a breakaway league will be banned for life from working in any position, playing, coaching, administration etc in competitions under UEFA and FIFA's umbrella.
Typical UEFA/FIFA attitude. Two of the most corrupt organisations in the world having the cheek to suggest lifetime bans for anyone not doing exactly what they are told.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

They just want to keep the band together. :lol:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:They just want to keep the band together. :lol:

Was this when Platini was in charge? ĺIm sure he wanted to keep his money together more like it.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:

They wouldn't be playing in their domestic leagues.
They would, this proposal was to replace the European Cup. Just a money making exercise which I can't see going ahead for a long time.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Anyways don’t UEFA already have the Champions League group stage plus Europa league as pointless money making exercises.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Top players could be banned from the World Cup if they take part in any breakaway competition, FIFA president Gianni Infantino has warned, saying: "You are either in or you are out."

Updated 44 mins ago

German magazine Der Spiegel reported last week that Bayern Munich and their chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge attempted to lead some of the continent's biggest clubs into a new competition.
The allegations, which were based on documents purportedly attained from whistleblowers Football Leaks, have been strongly denied by both Bayern and Rummenigge.
European Leagues - an organisation that acts on matters of common interest regarding clubs from the 32 professional leagues it represents - has already spoken out against the idea of a "closed and franchised style" competition.

And Infantino says there could be wider implications for any players who join their clubs in any prospective European Super League.
"You are either in or you are out," he told reporters. "If there are players who don't play in organised football, they don't play organised football, and that encompasses everything - national leagues, confederation competitions, the Euros and the World Cup."
FIFA legal director Alasdair Bell added: "The idea is if you break away, you break away – you don't keep one foot in and one foot out.
"That would be the general approach we would follow, but of course lawyers can debate this for a long time."
The reports come at a time of friction between FIFA and UEFA over plans to expand the Club World Cup, and Infantino insists those changes are the solution to quell the threat of a breakaway.
"The Club World Cup is the answer to any attempt to think even about any sort of breakaway leagues," he commented.
"If the price to pay is to give proper revenues to a club participating in a Club World Cup but this allows us to... give $1million to Haiti who has nothing, or to Mongolia who has three time zones but only two football pitches, well then we should be, I think, doing that."

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I like this FIFA threat to players very much.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:Anyways don’t UEFA already have the Champions League group stage plus Europa league as pointless money making exercises.
Yes and the big clubs used their muscle to have the Champions League expanded, which in turn has allowed them to strengthen their financial position. The Champions League should only be for the Champion in each member country of UEFA plus the cup holder. Its a joke that the 2nd to 4th placed sides in selected European Leagues get to go in the Champions League.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Anyone challenging FIFA/UEFA etc.. gets my vote. Rotten to the core.