Advice about sons future.

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

stackwood
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Advice about sons future.

Post by stackwood »

Morning All,

My son for the last couple of years has been playing JPL3. This year he tried out for a club that has a JPL1 team and a JSL team. He has been offerd a position in the JSL team. My question is, what would be better for him to improve as a player, join with the JSL club where he will be training with the JPL1 team or return to playing JPL3.

Any advice/comments are appreciated.

Thankyou.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Advice about sons future.

Post by magnet »

stackwood wrote:Morning All,

My son for the last couple of years has been playing JPL3. This year he tried out for a club that has a JPL1 team and a JSL team. He has been offerd a position in the JSL team. My question is, what would be better for him to improve as a player, join with the JSL club where he will be training with the JPL1 team or return to playing JPL3.

Thankyou.
I very much doubt the JSL team will be training with the JPL team. They may tell you this to get the $$

stackwood
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by stackwood »

I thought that as well. We were told that both squads would train together and that player movement between the squads would br possible depending on things like attitude, attendance to training and performance levels.

R0bb0
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by R0bb0 »

In my experience JPL and JSL team rarely train together. The best chance for promotion will come through injury or at trials in the following year. Your son my be good enough to play in the JPL team but for him to get a spot he is competing against established players. Maybe a year in the JSL will help establish him at the new club.
The only real questions you need to ask are. Are you happy with your sons development at his old club? Do you think the new club will improve him as a player?

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Thankyou.
Firstly don't fall for the "he will train with the JPL team" line. If the JPL team are settled and performing well the JSL players won't get a look in.

HOWEVER....depending on the age group JPL3 can be of a pretty low standard and JSL 1 can be of a much better standard.

I would consider the club facilities, environment etc and use that as more of a guide.

There is nothing wrong with playing JSL at a good club in a strong JSL division. As I said, often the top JSL Div is better than the lower JPL divs.

Plus if he is any good the JPL team may pick him up in the following years or even if the JPL team have injuries, no shows or disappearing players during the year.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

Thankyou.
It is good that the club was upfront with offering him a JSL spot first up and not steering him down the path of a spot in the squad, JPL/JSL to be sorted later. So to me that is a positive for the coach/club of the JPL1 team, he/they seem like they will be honest and upfront. Not giving him a direct answer, to me is always a worry are their favorites, is the team already set is he just a number.

Agree with other comments, most likely will be training separately and not together JPL/JSL. But if you want your son to take the next step and to push and earn his spot within the JPL1, then this may be a perfect opportunity, at the least he has a JSL spot for the year and will need to earn the JPL1 start. Good introduction to seniors.

My honest answer is your son should play (in this order), were he is/will enjoy himself the most (friends/fun) and under the right coach/guidance. Most likely the JPL1 squad will have a good coach/guidance (usually but not always), then the JPL3 then the JSL squad. You should find out who the coach is as this would be higher priority in my opinion.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

limozeen wrote:

Thankyou.
Firstly don't fall for the "he will train with the JPL team" line. If the JPL team are settled and performing well the JSL players won't get a look in.

HOWEVER....depending on the age group JPL3 can be of a pretty low standard and JSL 1 can be of a much better standard.

I would consider the club facilities, environment etc and use that as more of a guide.

There is nothing wrong with playing JSL at a good club in a strong JSL division. As I said, often the top JSL Div is better than the lower JPL divs.

Plus if he is any good the JPL team may pick him up in the following years or even if the JPL team have injuries, no shows or disappearing players during the year.
But JSL divisions aren't graded so how can you have a "top JSL div"?

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

magnet wrote:
limozeen wrote:

Thankyou.

But JSL divisions aren't graded so how can you have a "top JSL div"?
Well based on U12 this year, teams with multiple JSL teams all had their 2nd and 3rd JSL teams in the JSL Blue Div and the "1st" JSL team in the JSL Red division. I don't know how/why that came about but it panned out that way.
Go Reds

tevez.
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by tevez. »

It would depend on the club you're at, as I would agree with most here that many JSL 1 teams are playing at a much higher standard than JPL 3 teams - but then it all totally depends on the two clubs you are weighing up. There are even JSL 1 teams who are easily capable of playing and competing in the JPL 1 division which could help your decision - don't be discouraged if your son is playing JSL

Would also agree with kramerica in that you should find out who the coach is, as from my experience, it doesn't matter which club you are at as long you have a good bunch of teammates and a good coach.

tevez.
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by tevez. »

limozeen wrote:

Thankyou.

Would disagree here. It depends on the club. At my club this year both JPL/JSL teams were performing very well (JPL finishing 4th, JSL 2nd) and we saw 9 JSL players during the year play JPL at some stage, with multiple players playing more than 5 games. Again, its different for every club and the coaches within that age group.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

tevez. wrote:
limozeen wrote:

Thankyou.

Would disagree here. It depends on the club. At my club this year both JPL/JSL teams were performing very well (JPL finishing 4th, JSL 2nd) and we saw 9 JSL players during the year play JPL at some stage, with multiple players playing more than 5 games. Again, its different for every club and the coaches within that age group.
Yeah fair enough. Probably worth asking the club if any JSL players played up in the JPL the season before. Or ask other parents to get a more transparent answer. That would be a good guide.
Go Reds

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Pick the best coach. Dont worry about what "division" the team plays in. Your sons development will occur predominately through the information he is receiving during the week at training. Never pick the club, Never pick the division.. Always pick the coach. And if you don't know the coaches, ask about them. talk to them.

See which one knows football. See which one understands development in young children. Understand how kids learn etc. And ultimately, ask your son what environment he would prefer. Best coaches in the world wont matter if your son is unhappy or not wanting to be there.

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

matty2323 wrote:Pick the best coach. Dont worry about what "division" the team plays in. Your sons development will occur predominately through the information he is receiving during the week at training. Never pick the club, Never pick the division.. Always pick the coach. And if you don't know the coaches, ask about them. talk to them.

See which one knows football. See which one understands development in young children. Understand how kids learn etc. And ultimately, ask your son what environment he would prefer. Best coaches in the world wont matter if your son is unhappy or not wanting to be there.
Your theory and reasoning is sound. Problem is when a club wants your money upfront before appointing a coach.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

matty2323 wrote:Pick the best coach. Dont worry about what "division" the team plays in. Your sons development will occur predominately through the information he is receiving during the week at training. Never pick the club, Never pick the division.. Always pick the coach. And if you don't know the coaches, ask about them. talk to them.

not sure where you get time to do this. You’re turning up to trial with 100 kids and there’s 3-4 coaches that run the trial. You get no time to speak to the coaches and you just get a sense of just being fortunate to get picked.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Pie and Bovril wrote:

not sure where you get time to do this. You’re turning up to trial with 100 kids and there’s 3-4 coaches that run the trial. You get no time to speak to the coaches and you just get a sense of just being fortunate to get picked.
Ring the clubs prior to trials, ask who the appointed coaches are? Speak to them prior to trials? Why even trial at a club when you haven’t met or had discussions with the person who is responsible for your child’s development? I wouldn’t even be considering an environment if I didn’t already know a lot about it.

simmo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by simmo »

Most important questions:
How old is your son?
Does your current club have a senior team in the JPL/sl1/sl2?
With this information the best advice can be given. Remember any advice is personal opinion, therefore not always right.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

matty2323 wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:

Ring the clubs prior to trials, ask who the appointed coaches are? Speak to them prior to trials? Why even trial at a club when you haven’t met or had discussions with the person who is responsible for your child’s development? I wouldn’t even be considering an environment if I didn’t already know a lot about it.
you're living in a dream world. Coaches prevented parents even watching our trials.

simmo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by simmo »

If you’re club is so secretive they must have something to hide. Find a new club.

johnpd
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by johnpd »

Heres an idea, why not ask the Kid what he wants to do and what makes him happy!!!!!!!

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

johnpd wrote:Heres an idea, why not ask the Kid what he wants to do and what makes him happy!!!!!!!
What a novel idea.
Go Reds

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

My son's team trained JPL/JSL together all year, many players mobed between the sides.

I know of 2 clubs that are using this method next season as well.