Goalkeeper Wanted

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Goalkeeper Wanted

Post by Old Master »

FA Cup: Slough Town launch Twitter appeal for back-up goalkeeper

9 hours ago From the section Conference

Handy between the sticks and free on Saturday afternoon?

Then you may be just the person Slough Town are looking for.

Rebels' joint-manager Neil Baker has gone to unusual lengths in his last-gasp search for a goalkeeper, advertising on Twitter ahead of their FA Cup second round qualifying tie against Sholing.

Slough keeper Jack Turner picked up an elbow injury in the dying minutes of their 4-2 victory away to Eastbourne on Saturday, and is a concern ahead of this weekend's game.

Turner, who is the only keeper on the National League South club's books, is expected to be fit but Baker is keen to have a back-up option on the bench, taking to social media having exhausted all other avenues.

"We've never had a second keeper, and if we have had a problem, we have normally gone and got somebody in on loan," Baker told BBC Sport.

"However, when it comes to the FA Cup, it's very difficult because keepers have already played in the competition or teams higher up the pyramid don't want to loan a keeper out."
Neil Baker tweet, in which he expresses Slough's need for a replacement goalkeeper

Replies have flooded in following Baker's tweet on Wednesday - some serious, and some not so. This is Twitter, after all.

Baker revealed the club, who reached the second round proper last season before losing to League One Rochdale, are in talks with interested parties, but could a potential contract be on the cards?

"You never know in football," Baker said.

"We have had one or two replies that are quite interesting, so we're having private chats and hopefully we can get something sorted.

"There could be the opportunity for an FA Cup run, so you never know."

This is not the first time a football club has publicly advertised for a player, however. In 2001, the agent of Roy Essandoh responded to a Teletext advert (blast from the past) from Wycombe Wanderers, who were looking for a non-cup-tied striker.

The Northern Irishman went on to score a last-gasp FA Cup quarter-final winner for the Chairboys against Leicester.

So, should Turner not be able to play for Slough on Saturday, could another FA Cup hero be born?

Find out more

National League official site

Now, here is a Gilt-Edged opportunity for an ambitious NPL 'keeper. - Have a go, you never know your luck. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Goalkeeper Wanted

Post by God is an Englishman »

Yes if the left tonight they could make it in time for the game and sit on the bench.

I'd imagine they'd want someone better than NPL though.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:Yes if the left tonight they could make it in time for the game and sit on the bench.

So how many NPL keepers have you seen in action recently?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Yes if the left tonight they could make it in time for the game and sit on the bench.

but I've seen A League keepers and I don't think they're Conference standard.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:

but I've seen A League keepers and I don't think they're Conference standard.
So Matt Ryan and Mitch Lengerak were bad buys from their overseas clubs?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

So Matt Ryan and Mitch Lengerak were bad buys from their overseas clubs?
Who?

Which clubs?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:

So Matt Ryan and Mitch Langerak were bad buys from their overseas clubs?
Who?

Which clubs?
Brighton (you know a team one division higher than Millwall, let alone Conference standard)

Levante (Spain) - also "slightly" higher than Conference. I know he's gone to JPL now but even their league kills "conference".

You've lost this one.
Ignore this signature

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Bomber wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Who?

Which clubs?
Brighton (you know a team one division higher than Millwall, let alone Conference standard)

Levante (Spain) - also "slightly" higher than Conference. I know he's gone to JPL now but even their league kills "conference".

You've lost this one.
Even Danny Vukovic, who kept a clean sheet for Genk last night in the Europa League.

(I'm not counting Tom Glover @ Tottenham because he hasn't started for them yet and he was their player during his A-League stint anyway)

Dean Bouzanis is at Zwolle, in the top flight Dutch league (dunno if he's starting yet)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Who?

Which clubs?

You've lost this one.
Matt Ryan came from Valencia, not the NPL. Langerak also wasn't signed from the NPL. You need to do better research.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Matt Ryan came from Valencia, not the NPL. Langerak also wasn't signed from the NPL. You need to do better research.
You then went on to say you didn't watch NPL and then referenced the A-League being the lesser of conference. Point being Ryan and Langerak were A-League prior to their transfers to superior leagues. Maybe you need to read better.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
You then went on to say you didn't watch NPL and then referenced the A-League being the lesser of conference. Point being Ryan and Langerak were A-League prior to their transfers to superior leagues. Maybe you need to read better.
So when were they in the A League? Did they play last year? Again, your research needs to improve.

Did they go from the A League to those clubs?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: but I've seen A League keepers and I don't think they're Conference standard.
Poor effort with the research deflection attempt. Look at the above. When "you've seen" A-League keepers, it clearly indicates in the past which is when these keepers played A-League. Otherwise why would they be picked up by overseas clubs? Did they have to go to "conference league" trials first?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: but I've seen A League keepers and I don't think they're Conference standard.
Poor effort with the research deflection attempt. Look at the above. When "you've seen" A-League keepers, it clearly indicates in the past which is when these keepers played A-League. Otherwise why would they be picked up by overseas clubs? Did they have to go to "conference league" trials first?
Did they sign them from the A League?

Are any of them current A League keepers?

I would also say that a JPL keeper isn't good enough but it's possible that one day a JPL keeper may go on to play conference.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:
Did they sign them from the A League?

Are any of them current A League keepers?

I would also say that a JPL keeper isn't good enough but it's possible that one day a JPL keeper may go on to play conference.
Seeing you're so good at research, tell me which clubs picked up each said keeper whilst they were with A-League clubs? Feel free to include Slinky Pete's example (Danny Vukovic).
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Seeing you're so good at research, tell me which clubs picked up each said keeper whilst they were with A-League clubs? Feel free to include Slinky Pete's example (Danny Vukovic).
I can't think of one keeper that's gone from the A League to the Conference.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:Seeing you're so good at research, tell me which clubs picked up each said keeper whilst they were with A-League clubs? Feel free to include Slinky Pete's example (Danny Vukovic).
You wouldn't, but I notice you didn't answer the question.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
You wouldn't, but I notice you didn't answer the question.
I did, I gave you a comprehensive list of every keeper to have moved from A League to conference.

Vukovich - Didn't he start at youth in England?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I thought you were more educated than that, so I will do what my wife (a teacher) does when she struggles with those not so bright in her class and dumb the questions down a bit for you.

When Danny Vukovic was at Sydney FC, he then went on to sign with..............(insert club name)
When Mitch Langerak was at Melbourne Victory (also A-League) he then went on to sign for............(insert club name)
When Mat Ryan was at Central Coast Mariners he then went on to sign for..............(insert club name)

I'll even let you phone a friend if you like.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:I thought you were more educated than that, so I will do what my wife (a teacher) does when she struggles with those not so bright in her class and dumb the questions down a bit for you.

When Danny Vukovic was at Sydney FC, he then went on to sign with..............(insert club name)
When Mitch Langerak was at Melbourne Victory (also A-League) he then went on to sign for............(insert club name)
When Mat Ryan was at Central Coast Mariners he then went on to sign for..............(insert club name)

Genk
Borussia Dortmund II
Brugge

Now how many games did any of them play in the 17/18 A League season?
Did any of them go from A League direct to English leagues?

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Bomber wrote:I thought you were more educated than that, so I will do what my wife (a teacher) does when she struggles with those not so bright in her class and dumb the questions down a bit for you.

Genk
Borussia Dortmund II
Brugge

Langerak didn't sign for the reserve team. He played 20 matches in his first season at Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga - a league that is higher than Conference standard.

Why are you limiting it to A-league 17/18? Is 16/17 not recent enough?

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

This season (18/19) you'll be able to watch an Australian keeper that played in the Dutch top league last season.

Do you think he might be Conference standard?

(He signed from the A-League to the Premier League when he left in 2016)

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Genk
Borussia Dortmund II
Brugge

Relevance?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

You asked the question, you tell me the relevance.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:You asked the question, you tell me the relevance.
The relevance of your questions after the answers given (which incidentally illustrated my point).
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
The relevance of your questions after the answers given (which incidentally illustrated my point).
It is noted that you haven't answered the question.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:
It is noted that you haven't answered the question.
0 but still has no relevance to the discussion

Its like asking how many conference keepers have been signed by Real Madrid - truth is, they wouldn't even look there
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

It has every relevance. You have claimed that A League players are good enough for the Conference by using players that don't even play in the A League.

You are saying that a 12 year old keeper is good enough because a Mark Shwarzer once played in the Under 13's league.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

This topic was about the possibility of an NPl level 'keeper playing in the Conference, not A-League standard.

There are quite a few Aussies in the Conference, according to SBS's, 'Players Overseas' list that I read a few weeks ago.

I don't remember any of the names but most were NPL players from various states, including SA.

I am sure there was a goalkeeper amongst the names.

Aussie NPL players are well regarded in the Conference as they are considered to be skilled and tough players, but do tend to lack a little on the Match fitness side due to the smaller number of games they are used to playing.

I know this because one of my younger cousins is on the coaching staff of a Conference club down Sarf.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
I know this because one of my younger cousins is on the coaching staff of a Conference club down Sarf.
As per.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:It has every relevance. You have claimed that A League players are good enough for the Conference by using players that don't even play in the A League.

You are saying that a 12 year old keeper is good enough because a Mark Shwarzer once played in the Under 13's league.
No, you said you've seen A-League keepers (indicating past tense) that wouldn't make conference. I've illustrated those well above. By your reckoning, we can only consider those playing a this very minute which mean they will only be playing where they are this very minute (hence silly), and even more funny is statement which started being about NPL keepers who you've never seen play anyway!
Ignore this signature