England - 2019-20 Championship (formerly the 18-19 EPL)

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Re: England - 2018-19 EPL (formerly the 2017-18 EPL thread)

Post by N5 1BH »

God is an Englishman wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:A deal brokered by the football collective whereby the distribution of the EPL cash is regulated by them for the benefit of the football league as a whole. Basically the higher earning bracket premier league clubs are taxed to provide cash benefits to the lower league clubs in order to raise the base standard of the entire league. It might not be free market but I think there is a word for that concept, escapes me though.
Well it is a free market because that was the deal brokered? Now they are using free market principles to renegotiate that deal. It's very similar to the parachute payments that were negotiated to relegated teams.
But relegated teams were / are members of the EPL and have contributed to it hence their due payment, millwall have not

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

N5 1BH wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:A deal brokered by the football collective whereby the distribution of the EPL cash is regulated by them for the benefit of the football league as a whole. Basically the higher earning bracket premier league clubs are taxed to provide cash benefits to the lower league clubs in order to raise the base standard of the entire league. It might not be free market but I think there is a word for that concept, escapes me though.
Well it is a free market because that was the deal brokered? Now they are using free market principles to renegotiate that deal. It's very similar to the parachute payments that were negotiated to relegated teams.
But relegated teams were / are members of the EPL and have contributed to it hence their due payment, millwall have not
Yes we have, we contribute as part of the whole spectrum of football. The team that came down will play against us, the teams gone up - played against us. It's a negotiated deal and is pretty much the definition of free market. When the play off final happened, we were part of that competition and everyone watched on with excitement. There's more to football than the premier league.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

I couldn’t watch it coz it was shown on a different broadcaster than the EPL broadcaster I chose to purchase. EFL had it’s own deal separate from premier league so why is it regulated that poor old Arsenal have to give a share of it’s profits to millwall when they have a tv deal separate from them anyway. Seems at odds with my understanding of a regulation free market, anti competitive even.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:I couldn’t watch it coz it was shown on a different broadcaster than the EPL broadcaster I chose to purchase. EFL had it’s own deal separate from premier league so why is it regulated that poor old Arsenal have to give a share of it’s profits to millwall when they have a tv deal separate from them anyway. Seems at odds with my understanding of a regulation free market, anti competitive even.
because it was a deal they all made and signed under their own free will.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

N5 1BH wrote:I couldn’t watch it coz it was shown on a different broadcaster than the EPL broadcaster I chose to purchase. EFL had it’s own deal separate from premier league so why is it regulated that poor old Arsenal have to give a share of it’s profits to millwall when they have a tv deal separate from them anyway. Seems at odds with my understanding of a regulation free market, anti competitive even.
Trouble is the big 5 and tottenham want a new deal, they believe they deserve to keep all the money for themselves. I guess though being with a struggling club you would prefer if the football collective stood strong and voted to stay with the social inclusion model so you guys still have a fighting chance.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:
Trouble is the big 5 and tottenham want a new deal, they believe they deserve to keep all the money for themselves. I guess though being with a struggling club you would prefer if the football collective stood strong and voted to stay with the social inclusion model so you guys still have a fighting chance.
Oi! Behave and check out the table :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:
Obviously, I would prefer more money - who wouldn't. However, if that's the decision that's made then so be it. That's the way the world works. I don't earn the same as a lawyer or a doctor and don't expect them to give me a share of their money.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

This is all to stop them doing their own deals and also prevents an immediate stop to a European league. Those scenarios harm the smaller clubs a lot more.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Obviously, I would prefer more money - who wouldn't. However, if that's the decision that's made then so be it. That's the way the world works. I don't earn the same as a lawyer or a doctor and don't expect them to give me a share of their money.
But if you had a vote, would you vote to keep the current model?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:This is all to stop them doing their own deals and also prevents an immediate stop to a European league. Those scenarios harm the smaller clubs a lot more.
You really think they’ll stop at that, if this goes ahead the gap between the top 4 clubs and the rest will become on a par with the other Euro leagues; Bayern, PSG, Real etc. EPL will be untenable as an international tv spectacle at current valuation, value will decrease and then you’ll all be off anyway.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:This is all to stop them doing their own deals and also prevents an immediate stop to a European league. Those scenarios harm the smaller clubs a lot more.
You really think they’ll stop at that, if this goes ahead the gap between the top 4 clubs and the rest will become on a par with the other Euro leagues; Bayern, PSG, Real etc. EPL will be untenable as an international tv spectacle at current valuation, value will decrease and then you’ll all be off anyway.
global tv viewers 'on the whole' want to watch the big 4/5/6

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:
In a breakaway league with no promotion or relegation more likely.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:
In a breakaway league with no promotion or relegation more likely.
Only Australia has this and it doesn't work.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:
global tv viewers 'on the whole' want to watch the big 4/5/6
Or watching minnows like Huddersfield beat Manchester United and draw with the current and previous EPL Champions :)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Ignore this signature

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Major July moves - the Mehrez departure was on the cards but Im a bit surprised at the fee
3/07/18 Sam Johnstone Manchester United to West Bromwich Albion £6.5m
5/07/18 Bernardo RB Leipzig to Brighton & Hove Albion £9m
10/07/18 Angus Gunn Manchester City to Southampton £13.5m
10/07/18 Riyad Mahrez Leicester City to Manchester City £60m
10/07/18 Lucas Torreira Sampdoria to Arsenal £26.4m
11/07/18 Mattéo Guendouzi FC Lorient to Arsenal £8m
13/07/18 Xherdan Shaqiri Stoke City to Liverpool £13m
17/07/18 Daley Blind Manchester United to Ajax £14m
20/07/18 Danny Ward Liverpool to Leicester City £12.5m
22/07/18 James McClean West Bromwich Albion to Stoke City £5m
24/07/18 João Moutinho Monaco to Wolverhampton Wanderers £5m
24/07/18 Richarlison Watford to Everton £35m
24/07/18 Tom Ince Huddersfield Town to Stoke City £10m

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mr Red wrote:Major July moves - the Mehrez departure was on the cards but Im a bit surprised at the fee
3/07/18 Sam Johnstone Manchester United to West Bromwich Albion £6.5m
5/07/18 Bernardo RB Leipzig to Brighton & Hove Albion £9m
10/07/18 Angus Gunn Manchester City to Southampton £13.5m
10/07/18 Riyad Mahrez Leicester City to Manchester City £60m
10/07/18 Lucas Torreira Sampdoria to Arsenal £26.4m
11/07/18 Mattéo Guendouzi FC Lorient to Arsenal £8m
13/07/18 Xherdan Shaqiri Stoke City to Liverpool £13m
17/07/18 Daley Blind Manchester United to Ajax £14m
20/07/18 Danny Ward Liverpool to Leicester City £12.5m
22/07/18 James McClean West Bromwich Albion to Stoke City £5m
24/07/18 João Moutinho Monaco to Wolverhampton Wanderers £5m
24/07/18 Richarlison Watford to Everton £35m
24/07/18 Tom Ince Huddersfield Town to Stoke City £10m
You say major, yet don't have the biggest transfer?
And you have one with teams that aren't in the premier league

Up your game :-)

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Matthew wrote:
Mr Red wrote:
You say major, yet don't have the biggest transfer? Well who ever that is wasn't on the site I was using :?:

And you have one with teams that aren't in the premier league - again garbage in garbage out :)

Up your game :-)
to old to worry about minor details :arrow: :)

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Interesting Liverpool playing a 4-3-3 with the 3 midfielders basically in a straight line across the pitch when the other team has the ball. Once Liverpool gets the ball Milner moves into more attacking positions in behind their centre forward.

It worked last night but I wonder how it will go against better teams that may try to exploit them more centrally when they have the ball.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Last season Huddersfield were on top of the table after a Round 1 3-0 win over Crystal Palace, lost 0-3 to Chelsea this year....but the Gaff saw some promising signs..
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mr Red wrote:Interesting Liverpool playing a 4-3-3 with the 3 midfielders basically in a straight line across the pitch when the other team has the ball. Once Liverpool gets the ball Milner moves into more attacking positions in behind their centre forward.

It worked last night but I wonder how it will go against better teams that may try to exploit them more centrally when they have the ball.

Henderson or Fabinho will play and protect more.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Dr Who wrote:
Mr Red wrote:Interesting Liverpool playing a 4-3-3 with the 3 midfielders basically in a straight line across the pitch when the other team has the ball. Once Liverpool gets the ball Milner moves into more attacking positions in behind their centre forward.

Well they won't be playing at the new WHL anytime soon :lol:

Cheese bar not quite ready yet. :wink:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Dr Who wrote:

Well they won't be playing at the new WHL anytime soon :lol:

Cheese bar not quite ready yet. :wink:
Needs more time to mature?

Bradmufc1975
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Bradmufc1975 »

I know it's a bit early but can see west ham getting relegated this season, Pellegrini is determined to play attractive football with a bunch of players who have been drilled to just do the simple things right. Their backline looks championship at best and having Mark Noble running about like a headless chicken leaves too much gaps in the midfield. Arnautovic is their only hope of staying up imo and if/when the fans get restless like they did last season it will go up in flames.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Bradmufc1975 wrote:I know it's a bit early but can see west ham getting relegated this season, Pellegrini is determined to play attractive football with a bunch of players who have been drilled to just do the simple things right. Their backline looks championship at best and having Mark Noble running about like a headless chicken leaves too much gaps in the midfield. Arnautovic is their only hope of staying up imo and if/when the fans get restless like they did last season it will go up in flames.
They have played one game against the most potent front three in the league.
They will be fine.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ANatural wrote:
Bradmufc1975 wrote:I know it's a bit early but can see west ham getting relegated this season, Pellegrini is determined to play attractive football with a bunch of players who have been drilled to just do the simple things right. Their backline looks championship at best and having Mark Noble running about like a headless chicken leaves too much gaps in the midfield. Arnautovic is their only hope of staying up imo and if/when the fans get restless like they did last season it will go up in flames.
They will be fine.
You wouldn't call Bournemouth's front three the most potent ever seen :lol:

Mind you, BradMUFC hasn't got much to shout about after their Glory, Glory performance at Brighton :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
ANatural wrote:
They will be fine.
You wouldn't call Bournemouth's front three the most potent ever seen :lol:

Mind you, BradMUFC hasn't got much to shout about after their Glory, Glory performance at Brighton :wink:
Second most potent they have faced this season :-)

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

For a bloke with such wonderful balance running with the ball, Salah don't 'arf fall over easily in the box :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:For a bloke with such wonderful balance running with the ball, Salah don't 'arf fall over easily in the box :lol:
It was a penalty - please don't tell me it wasn't. I genuinely thought it was nailed on.
It was clumsy but the rules don't differentiate on how the foul was committed!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ANatural wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:For a bloke with such wonderful balance running with the ball, Salah don't 'arf fall over easily in the box :lol:
It was a penalty - please don't tell me it wasn't. I genuinely thought it was nailed on.
It was clumsy but the rules don't differentiate on how the foul was committed!
I agree that it was poor defending and clumsy by Sakho, but it was a dive to exaggerate the minimal contact. Is that a foul? Would that contact have brought him down in the centre circle? Never in a million years, but in the modern game they're given and all players do it. TBH it saddens me that it's becoming a non contact sport, it's not the game I grew up with.

Couldn't argue with the red card though and overall I thought Liverpool fully deserved the win.

Just don't go on about Dele Alli being a diver, Salah's just as bad :lol:
Danny Blanchflower