World Cup 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Raich Carter »

Matthew wrote:
Raich Carter wrote:
Matthew wrote:Sadly our best striker didn’t score one intentional goal with his foot from open play. And his strike partner Sterling, didn’t score one goal at all. That sums up why England didn’t do even better. This may sound stupid but the penalties we got may actually have hindered us in the comp. We will never know. Wilshere should have gone, and if lallana was fit he would have definitely been there, would he have lingards place?

I would have played rashford instead of sterling, but that’s probably the only change.
All valid points until you got to Wilshere, man is made of sticks and his form certainly didn't warrant a call up.
I think he was a better squad option than some of the others, but just an opinion. And you said all valid until I got to him, what about the points after?
Agree I would rather have seen Lallana there and lingard, some one with creativity to take advantage of JH's work as the DM. Not a big fan of Sterling as he seems to constantly run himself into walls and is stuggling at that level.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Rookie wrote:Just saw some footage of the English team kicking off and playing on whilst the Croatians were celebrating the second goals, the ref didn't have a bar of it and really poor form from the Poms
Saw that today.

That was embarrassing.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Raich Carter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Raich Carter wrote: All valid points until you got to Wilshere, man is made of sticks and his form certainly didn't warrant a call up.
I think he was a better squad option than some of the others, but just an opinion. And you said all valid until I got to him, what about the points after?
Agree I would rather have seen Lallana there and lingard, some one with creativity to take advantage of JH's work as the DM. Not a big fan of Sterling as he seems to constantly run himself into walls and is stuggling at that level.
Like this?

https://t.co/btMcKmJbME

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Like this?

Editing and sharing is great isn’t it.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Matthew wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Like this?

Pretty damning, regardless of how you want to spin it

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Like this?

Showing Kane v Criatia makes him look rubbish.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

the fact he kept doing it and he wasn't subbed early on says to me he was following instructions.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

There's a question waiting for you on the previous page
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Like this?

I thought Hendo had a pretty good WC against teams that didn't press him too much, but he suffered with the same front/back disconnect that HK had. When you play three attacking mids there's just not always a short pass available. I just hope Southgate learns from it that's all.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Raich Carter wrote:Agree I would rather have seen Lallana there and lingard, some one with creativity to take advantage of JH's work as the DM. Not a big fan of Sterling as he seems to constantly run himself into walls and is stuggling at that level.
I wonder why he didn't use Loftus-Cheek, no point having him on the bench if you're too scared to use him. Putting Dier on in place of Henderson is not exactly pushing the boat out and putting Vardy on was a waste of time, late on it was the wrong sort of game for him. Now if Southgate had the cojones to sub Vardy on for Kane at HT when we're winning, knowing that Croatia would push and there would be space in behind, then I would be a fan of his. So long as it worked of course :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
I thought Hendo had a pretty good WC against teams that didn't press him too much, but he suffered with the same front/back disconnect that HK had. When you play three attacking mids there's just not always a short pass available. I just hope Southgate learns from it that's all.
Not sure how missing golden chances is a disconnect, HK just had a poor game. Mistakes are down to the individual. Liverpool lost the CL final as we had a GK who made mistakes, and England lost a semi final due to a forward not doing his job. They are not robots and it happens.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Australian fans caught making homophobic chants in Russia. The FFA are now being warned by FIFA :lol:
Too funny because you Aussies were so sanctimonious about Russia's policies and now look what you've done. :lol:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Matthew wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Not sure how missing golden chances is a disconnect, HK just had a poor game. Mistakes are down to the individual. Liverpool lost the CL final as we had a GK who made mistakes, and England lost a semi final due to a forward not doing his job. They are not robots and it happens.
If you're talking about HK, he missed one good chance which, to be fair, I would expect him to put away, but the keeper made a decent save. It's funny how we laud Pickford if he makes a stop, but if the opposing keeper saves one, it's the England forward's fault. It's just football, that's what keepers are there for. I cannot remember him getting any other chances provided by his teammates and most of the stuff late on was long ball rubbish. We lost the game, as expected, in the midfield and that was down to Southgate putting square pegs in round holes again. It's the old champion team versus a team of champions thing.

Souness actually summed it up very well.

"I want to emphasise the midfield.
GS wrote:You can't win the big trophies, you can't dominate football matches, you can't put yourself in a position where you are not giving the ball away unless you've got good players in midfield who can keep the ball.

I come back to Lingard and Dele Alli - two players who want to get on the end of things after there has been clever play by somebody else.

Harry Kane never got a kick tonight. Prior to tonight, he had five shots on target in all the games.

Harry Kane does not get shots on target because nobody is passing him any quality passes.

He's not getting any supply. Harry Kane will come back from that with the Golden Boot, but I don't know the boy he might be happy, but Harry Kane will not be happy playing in that style of football.
Danny Blanchflower

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

NOC, I agree with Souness and everything you have posted.

I prefer to keep it simple...your boys had your chance and shieeete your pants!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

At least Southgate's picked Loftus-Cheek and Rose for the playoff with Belgium, but I'm staggered that he keeps faith with Sterling. It seems his whole gameplan is to make Kane look bad. :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
If you're talking about HK, he missed one good chance which, to be fair, I would expect him to put away, but the keeper made a decent save. It's funny how we laud Pickford if he makes a stop, but if the opposing keeper saves one, it's the England forward's fault. It's just football, that's what keepers are there for. I cannot remember him getting any other chances provided by his teammates and most of the stuff late on was long ball rubbish. We lost the game, as expected, in the midfield and that was down to Southgate putting square pegs in round holes again. It's the old champion team versus a team of champions thing.

GS wrote:You can't win the big trophies, you can't dominate football matches, you can't put yourself in a position where you are not giving the ball away unless you've got good players in midfield who can keep the ball.

I come back to Lingard and Dele Alli - two players who want to get on the end of things after there has been clever play by somebody else.

Harry Kane never got a kick tonight. Prior to tonight, he had five shots on target in all the games.

Harry Kane does not get shots on target because nobody is passing him any quality passes.

He's not getting any supply. Harry Kane will come back from that with the Golden Boot, but I don't know the boy he might be happy, but Harry Kane will not be happy playing in that style of football.
So a striker missing two easy chances is not a reason we lost, yet the midfield is. You talk more rubbish by the day.

Maybe the heat of England has affected your brain.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

By not changing things Southgate's side became predictable....no real plan B....
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

The wise words of Graeme souness, the knob whose manegrial record is unsurpassed and the visionary who signed Ali Dia

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:The wise words of Graeme souness, the knob whose manegrial record is unsurpassed and the visionary who signed Ali Dia
The man who knows more about professional football than all the posters on FN combined :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Matthew wrote:Maybe the heat of England has affected your brain.
It's not even hot, 30 max, but it could be the alcohol :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:The wise words of Graeme souness, the knob whose manegrial record is unsurpassed and the visionary who signed Ali Dia
The man who knows more about professional football than all the posters on FN combined :lol:
Anyone can state the obvious but what's his solution? For what it's worth I think we are on the right track

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Anyone can state the obvious but what's his solution? For what it's worth I think we are on the right track
It's his job to analyse the team and the performances, but not to find the solution, that's up to Gareth. FWIW, I agree that we are improving but it looks like GS has a solid idea of how he wants us to play, but still doesn't entirely know who plays and where they play.

In the second half of the third place playoff, for about half an hour we looked ok and created 5 or 6 chances, one of which was cleared off the line. For me, that was our best 30 minutes of the tournament, against a very good Belgium side.

Hopefully he'll have it all worked out by 2020 when I come back.
Danny Blanchflower

Dry July
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dry July »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Does that include old master? :P

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Dry July wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Does that include old master? :P
Sorry, forgot about our resident expert.
Danny Blanchflower

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

[
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

So a striker missing two easy chances is not a reason we lost, yet the midfield is. You talk more rubbish by the day.

Maybe the heat of England has affected your brain.[/quote]

As a Chelsea fan, I would have Harry Kane in my side in a heartbeat. He will be the in the top bracket of world strikers. Makes his own goals. Unlucky a couple of times last night.
I am not looking forward to loosing Hazard, a genius with the ball. At this WC so much better than Messi skillwise. I still regret Kevin De Bruyne leaving Chelsea. Mourinho did not give him a chance plus had to battle a massive midfield at the time including Lampard.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Makes his own goals.
not in this WC he didn't....that was the biggest criticism of the England midfield...not supplying HK...if as a striker, youre just a finisher, you cant be considered one of the best in the world...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

God is an Englishman

I know that's tongue in cheek but this is an issue in football over here, you just get infatuated with certain nationalities. Last year it was dutch, then it was spanish.
quite ironic when you considers England's improvement at all levels is put down to the Spanish and German influence at St Georges Park...

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

As usual from you, a load of bollocks. News flash.... Arnie is undecided what influence the aussies will take, French or Croatian. However, he will make his mind up by tomorrow morning. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

do you ever tire of embarrassing yourself???? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

do yourself a favour and google 'England DNA philosophy'.........

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote:do you ever tire of embarrassing yourself???? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

do yourself a favour and google 'England DNA philosophy'.........
Having an vision and actually playing to that vision are two completely different things. However, I do think that this time we might actually have the horse in front of the cart. I never bought into the coming home stuff, they're kids mostly and you'll never win nowt with kids as we know. The players and the manager made plenty of mistakes, but hopefully they learn and grow from that. Only time will tell if Southgate is a good manager or not.

I'll be coming home in 2020, so maybe football will as well :wink:
Danny Blanchflower