World Cup 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Wayne Kerr »

God is an Englishman wrote:
predator wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:It's coming home
No it's not, never was, pathetic world cup for England looking at the stats

I agree, it was terrible. I mean a young side not expected to do well only got to the semi final.

It's coming home

the only thing coming home is the team, less the gold trophy!
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

MegaBonus wrote:Thank S H I R A Z, they're going home....the only regret was not seeing them one more time celebrate failure....

Biggest diver at the World Cup = Maguire

they over-achieved, but did their country proud.

Its all France now!
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Wayne Kerr wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:Thank S H I R A Z, they're going home....the only regret was not seeing them one more time celebrate failure....

they over-achieved, but did their country proud.

Its all France now!
Come on Croatia!

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

An England v France final would have taken the World Cup into the stratosphere re interest and hype

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Hrvatska!

Olympic (Vista) Bhoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Olympic (Vista) Bhoy »

zzz wrote:Hrvatska!
Bless you

Arfa Fuxake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Arfa Fuxake »

:lol:
You can lead a horse to water but they are bloody hard to drown.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Croatia's equaliser reminds me somewhat of the A-League GF goal that raised concerns of 'Kicking In Danger' on here and a possible push in the back to boot. :?:

A mate in England says that a large number of people were shouting 'Foul' as soon as it happened at the open-air venue he was at and that quite a number still believe it was a foul. :?:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Old Master wrote:Croatia's equaliser reminds me somewhat of the A-League GF goal that raised concerns of 'Kicking In Danger' on here and a possible push in the back to boot. :?:

A mate in England says that a large number of people were shouting 'Foul' as soon as it happened at the open-air venue he was at and that quite a number still believe it was a foul. :?:
No worries, Martin Tyler :lol:
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Old Master wrote:Croatia's equaliser reminds me somewhat of the A-League GF goal that raised concerns of 'Kicking In Danger' on here and a possible push in the back to boot. :?:

yeh and Croatia should have got a penalty as well, should have, could have but see ya later

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Rookie wrote:

yeh and Croatia should have got a penalty as well, should have, could have but see ya later

SV & Rookie, I was simply asking the question not making the suggestion in the first and passing on information in the second.

No need for the taunt SV, you do tend to jump at shadows, don't you?
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Will be in both finalist's countries in coupla weeks, so should see some happy faces and ongoing celebrations either way. 8)
Ignore this signature

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I am glad the English medias totall disrespect for the Croatian team motivated them to play well,i hope this shuts them up for a few years.France are a great team,but since the roos outplayed them for half a game i think that a win is achievable in the final for the Croatian team.Because of my many English friends i wish them all the best in the third place duel,i hope the three lion coach isnt sacketas i feel that he could do wonders with this team at the next euro 2020.Neka pati koga smeta Hrvatska je prvak svijeta!

Dry July
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dry July »

Let me guess, that message arrived by homing pigeon?

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

I thought England were playing some new system these days? Looked like the good ol' hoof it long to me and hope for the best with Sterling's pace or set piece. Sterling runs out of puff, lets try Rashford for Plan B.

Anyways, bring on the French. :wink:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:

Fair play to the Croatia team, they were the better team on the night and I hope they go on and win it.

It pretty much panned out as most in England expected, we couldn't keep Modric quiet for long enough and lost the midfield battle. I've never really understood why successive England managers pick club players and play them out of position for the national side (think of the Gerrard / Lampard debacle). For Spurs, Alli plays next to Kane and it works well but, to accommodate Sterling in the side, he was played much deeper, that was wrong IMO.

It was fun while it lasted though and at least we didn't lose on penalties. :D
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

General Tony Cash

I thought England were playing some new system these days? Looked like the good ol' hoof it long to me and hope for the best with Sterling's pace or set piece. Sterling runs out of puff, lets try Rashford for Plan B.

Anyways, bring on the French.

stop quoting Vrsaljko.... :wink: :wink:

what England would pay to have a genius half as good on the ball like Modric.......

9 of 12 goals from a dead ball situation and 1 from open play says it all....Kane as good as he may be was found wanting against class defending....its an injustice that he'll win the golden boot for his 5 goals against Fiji and western samoa.....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Nice One Cyril

It was fun while it lasted though and at least we didn't lose on penalties.
no...but you've lost 5 semi finals in row....'chockers' come to mind!!!!
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote:
General Tony Cash

Anyways, bring on the French.

stop quoting Vrsaljko.... :wink: :wink:

what England would pay to have a genius half as good on the ball like Modric.......

9 of 12 goals from a dead ball situation and 1 from open play says it all....Kane as good as he may be was found wanting against class defending....its an injustice that he'll win the golden boot for his 5 goals against Fiji and western samoa.....
Nothing to do with class defending, it was lack of supply and that was largely down to Modric running the midfield and Sterling taking Alli's spot.

You're right though, we desperately need someone who can put their foot on the ball in the middle of the park. For me, Lingard, Sterling and Alli are all competing for the same spot next to Kane.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Still buzzing. Surreal to think we are in a world cup final. 8)

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

The third placed playoff medal

#itscominghome

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:The third placed playoff medal

#itscominghome

Nobody gives a flying shiraz who comes third, it's ridiculous to make the players go through with the game.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:
Nice One Cyril

It was fun while it lasted though and at least we didn't lose on penalties.
no...but you've lost 5 semi finals in row....'chockers' come to mind!!!!

Really? 5?

How did your country get on?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Everyone raving about Modric - what did he do?

Everyone slating Sterling - thought he played well.

Gane was even, England dominated up until they conceded. Croatia only team who looked like scoring once that happened.

Proud that we got as far as we did. Funny listening to lesser nations slagging us off.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Old Master wrote:.

What did your mate expect them to shout, "GOAAAAL"? :roll:

While shouting 'Foul' they were also looking for their straws. :wink:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

credit where its due.....finally the English appreciate that they don't deserve to eat at the main table with the heavy weights.....reaching a semi final after manufacturing the draw so that they progress through the easy side of the draw and achieving 1 shot on goal in 120 minutes is worth celebrating....the little englanders are calling for a public holiday on Monday!!! celebrating failure is something theyre used to....

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

God is an Englishman wrote:Everyone raving about Modric - what did he do?

Gane was even, England dominated up until they conceded. Croatia only team who looked like scoring once that happened.

Proud that we got as far as we did. Funny listening to lesser nations slagging us off.
Wasn't one of Modric's better games...thought him and Rakitic even more so were poor first half.

You need a bit of luck to get to a final...we've had our fair share, but sometimes you make your own luck also. What our boys lack with skill and pace they make up for with heart and a never say die attitude.

In saying that, I couldn't believe how confident the Poms all were yesterday...they thought they just had to show up and it would happen for them.

Win or lose on Sunday, proud is an understatement to how we all feel at the moment. 1 more...1 shiraz more pls! 8)

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:Everyone raving about Modric - what did he do?

Modric was average first half, but pretty much ran the midfield and set the tempo of the Croatian game after the break.

Sterling played OK, but how many telling passes did he make to Kane, or anyone else for that matter, how many goals did he score? He's not the best option for that position and, even if he was a better player than Alli, you'd go for the familiarity with Kane factor over that every time IMO. I suspect that Loftus-Cheek might be our midfield general in years to come.

Stoked that we got as far as we did, but amongst all the backslapping someone needs to take a clear look at how we structured our team, so we don't make the same mistakes as this time.
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

I thought I read that he hasn't scored for the national team in 30 games.....