200,000 sign petition to review England, Columbia Match

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

200,000 sign petition to review England, Columbia Match

Post by Old Master »

200,000 people sign petition for FIFA to review England, Colombia match
0:00
00:00 / 02:04

Colombian fans are not happy with the performance of the officials in their World Cup last-16 defeat to England.
Updated Updated 2 hours ago

A petition calling on FIFA to review two key refereeing decisions during Colombia's World Cup last-16 defeat to England has racked up 200,000 signatures.

Colombia were beaten 4-3 on penalties after the sides were locked at 1-1 following 120 minutes of play in Moscow.

England had opened the scoring with a penalty after Carlos Sanchez was penalised for obstructing Harry Kane in the box, although replays appeared to show the Three Lions captain pulling Sanchez down to his midriff to initiate the move.

It is one of two incidents, along with a disallowed Carlos Bacca goal, highlighted by the petition, which calls on FIFA to review the decisions to "set a precedent for fair play, where good play prevails".

Mateus Uribe and Bacca were unsuccessful from the spot for Colombia in the shoot-out, opening the door for Eric Dier to fire England into the quarter-finals with the winning penalty.

England meet Sweden in Samara on Saturday (Sunday (AEST).
Source: Omnisport

Is there no end to their sour grapes at being beaten at their own game? OM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: 200,000 sign petition to review England, Columbia Match

Post by predrag »

English fans should sign a counter petition.

Dry July
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dry July »

Tell them they're dreamin'.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Their modus operandi is cheating, whining and diving. They have some gall to complain about dodgy decisions! Of course, potentially game changing decisions that erroneously didn’t go England’s way don’t count...
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Raich Carter wrote:Their modus operandi is cheating, whining and diving. They have some gall to complain about dodgy decisions! Of course, potentially game changing decisions that erroneously didn’t go England’s way don’t count...
No mention by Columbia how they delayed the England penalty for about 4 minutes with their disgraceful behaviour .

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

ozzie owl wrote:
Raich Carter wrote:Their modus operandi is cheating, whining and diving. They have some gall to complain about dodgy decisions! Of course, potentially game changing decisions that erroneously didn’t go England’s way don’t count...
No mention by Columbia how they delayed the England penalty for about 4 minutes with their disgraceful behaviour .
I am so pleased so many foreigners are in the PL , they have helped raise the game of the selected players. Yet you said it’s no good having so many. Maybe start a petition to lower the number.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
I am so pleased so many foreigners are in the PL , they have helped raise the game of the selected players. Yet you said it’s no good having so many. Maybe start a petition to lower the number.
I can just see FIFA receiving a petition from Colombia .... straight into the waste paper bin.
Last edited by ozzie owl on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Where's Columbia?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Slinky_Pete wrote:Where's Columbia?
Los Angeles/Hollywood? Space-shuttle bits?
Ignore this signature

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Oh, You know where it is.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Washington

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Get over it, i say.
About time the Poms get some luck on their side!

"its coming home"
8)
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

I hardly believe I've read that :wink:

jimbo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jimbo »

No different than the Liverpool supporters that demanded a replay of the Champions League final. :lol:

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

jimbo wrote:No different than the Liverpool supporters that demanded a replay of the Champions League final. :lol:
None of these people are real supporters.

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

^^^
So your not a real supporter?
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

ANatural wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Gareth Southgate doesn’t agree with you .

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45360558

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:

He just doesn’t want to visit championship games. He still only has the best 23 players in England to choose from. Clubs buy the best they can, within budget,if the English aren’t good enough they get from overseas.

He just got them to the semi finals and how many French players play in the French league? Its something that people go on about without actually realising it’s bolllocks. Lots of things people think makes sense when in fact they are just the populist view.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ANatural wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

He just doesn’t want to visit championship games. He still only has the best 23 players in England to choose from. Clubs buy the best they can, within budget,if the English aren’t good enough they get from overseas.

He just got them to the semi finals and how many French players play in the French league? Its something that people go on about without actually realising it’s bolllocks. Lots of things people think makes sense when in fact they are just the populist view.
You want to give more opportunities to English players. Yes, the best will rise to the top but why are we helping out all these foreigners by allowing them to play in one of the best leagues in the world.

I'd allow 2 non English blokes in every side. For my side we could be in trouble though, even we have 6 foreigners that I'd like to keep.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote:
ANatural wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

You want to give more opportunities to English players. Yes, the best will rise to the top but why are we helping out all these foreigners by allowing them to play in one of the best leagues in the world.

I'd allow 2 non English blokes in every side. For my side we could be in trouble though, even we have 6 foreigners that I'd like to keep.
Joe Gomez
TAA
rashford

Good young players - all three would be playing regularly if they all played for decent managers. We are helping foreigners as the clubs like Milwaall are too greedy. If they didn’t charge premium prices for English players they would be signed up by the better teams. It’s a free market which you love yet you want a limit on who you can sign. It’s about being the best you can within budget.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ANatural wrote: Joe Gomez
TAA
rashford

Good young players - all three would be playing regularly if they all played for decent managers. We are helping foreigners as the clubs like Milwaall are too greedy. If they didn’t charge premium prices for English players they would be signed up by the better teams. It’s a free market which you love yet you want a limit on who you can sign. It’s about being the best you can within budget.
I do believe in a free market. I also believe in border control.

Millwall charging premium prices? I think the last English player we sold for over a million was possibly Teddy Sheringham. Every name I come up with after that would be non English (or English, but played for another country)

EDIT: Andry Roberts, I think he was a Million to palace in late 90's.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote:
ANatural wrote: Joe Gomez
TAA
rashford

I do believe in a free market. I also believe in border control.

Millwall charging premium prices? I think the last English player we sold for over a million was possibly Teddy Sheringham. Every name I come up with after that would be non English (or English, but played for another country)

EDIT: Andry Roberts, I think he was a Million to palace in late 90's.
Maybe you are asking too much as I said :D

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Looks like Italy have similar problem to England .

http://www.espn.com/soccer/italy/story/ ... in-serie-a

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote:Looks like Italy have similar problem to England .

Poland could only draw with Italy away last night. Disappointing to drop points against a team that couldn't qualify for the World Cup.
Ignore this signature

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

When will you get it? The issue is the lack of quality not the lack of quantity. Italy has a dearth of good players now end of story.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Gareth Southgate at least has the right attitude and, given his previous experience with young English players, he is looking forward to being a true top-class side, not just a flash in the pan. OM

From the SBS site:

England manager Gareth Southgate is keen to address fresh challenges after his team's 2018 FIFA World Cup heroics - starting with their dire record against international football's heavyweight nations.
Updated 5 hours ago

Southgate's youthful side overshot expectations to reach the semi-finals in Russia, where they were beaten 2-1 by Croatia in extra-time.

England faces Croatia again next month in the inaugural UEFA Nations League and kick-off their campaign against Spain at Wembley on Saturday evening (Sunday morning AEST).

A sold-out home crowd is set to provide a celebratory atmosphere on the back of England's exploits in Russia but, even in light of the euphoria that fostered, Southgate is not losing sight of the bigger picture.

Lahm likens young England side to World Cup winners

"We want to test ourselves against the best," he told a pre-match news conference.

"We weren't hiding from those fixtures in friendlies but our record against top teams in competitive games is non-existent. It is not impressive, bar Argentina in 2002 [in the FIFA World Cup group stage].

"It is very rare since 1970 we have beaten those top teams. Ideally, over the next couple of years, we want to get a record of beating top teams."

Speaking alongside captain Harry Kane – who will be presented with his World Cup Golden Boot before the Spain game – Southgate acknowledged there should be plenty of improvement to come from his team.

"Over the summer you're looking for results," he said. "Now it's about improving as a team, improving the way we play, improving the tactical detail of how we play and testing ourselves over the next few months against some really top teams.

"For us now, the summer is finished. It's about the next step and the next challenge. Sport doesn't stand still for anybody.

"I know the players are of the same mentality - they're of an age where the next thing is the most important thing."

Gomez can have a big career for club and country - Henderson

Southgate's words sounded a clear note of realism amid the lifted expectations of recent months but he is not ready to dampen a hard-won feelgood factor.

"It’s great there is this excitement about international football again," he said. "One of our ambitions over the last year or so has been to get back that connection with the supporters.

"It's a much better environment for the players, to feel that warmth and that goodwill.

"A year ago when we qualified [for the FIFA World Cup] there were paper aeroplanes on the pitch and we were thinking, 'What are we doing here?'."

It is unlikely to be a question anyone wearing Three Lions will ask themselves when they step out at Wembley this weekend.
Source: Omnisport
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

ANatural wrote:

When will you get it? The issue is the lack of quality not the lack of quantity. Italy has a dearth of good players now end of story.
When will you get it’s due to number of factors , the biggest factor is the financial structure and muscle of the EPL. So you know more than Gareth Southgate and Mancini ?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
ANatural wrote:

When will you get it’s due to number of factors , the biggest factor is the financial structure and muscle of the EPL. So you know more than Gareth Southgate and Mancini ?
You are dim aren’t you?

Why would man city buy a player who is English and inferior to a ‘foreigner’? Man city want to win trophies so they get the best they can. If the players aren’t English that’s not due to money.

TAA, Gomez are young and English and play EPL. Solanke is young and English and doesn’t play as he is not (yet) good enough- it’s due to ability not nationality. Or are you telling me Solanke should play instead of Mane, Salah or Firmino as he is English and gets the percentages up?

I don’t know more than Southgate but he says things as it sounds good. Why didn’t he buy more English players ?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gareth- ... ainer/3358

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

more like 200,000 to sign petition to have England play Panama more often....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

We can only hope that Brexit labour laws apply to all .