And then there were 23.

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: And then there were 23.

Post by Old Master »

OldGold wrote:
eagleboy wrote:
Con M wrote:Brillante, Troisi, Karacic and Rukavytsya miss out.
Australia's 2018 World Cup squad
Goalkeepers;Mat Ryan, Danny Vukovic, Brad Jones.
Defenders: Trent Sainsbury, Milos Degenek, Matt Jurman, Mark Milligan, Josh Risdon, Aziz Behich, James Meredith.
Midfielders: Mile Jedinak (captain), Aaron Mooy, Massimo Luongo, Jackson Irvine, Tomi Rogic, Dimitri Petratos, Mathew Leckie, Daniel Arzani.
Forwards: Tim Cahill, Tomi Juric, Andrew Nabbout, Jamie Maclaren, Robbie Kruse.
Id play......

......................................Ryan......................................
Risdon............Sainsbury..... Jedinak............Behich.
...............Mooy..............................Luongo.............
....................................Rogic.....................................
Leckie.....................Juric/Cahill....................Nabbout.

Kruse to carry the drink bottles! (Hopefully without falling over)

I'd have picked Rukavytsya over Maclaren as he's got explosive pace and a powerful shot, whereas Maclaren is a bit of a lightweight at this level.
In your lineup, I'd put Mooy in for Rogic and Milligan in Mooy's spot, with Rogic or Irvine to come on for Milligan if we are struggling to break through.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: And then there were 26.

Post by kingswood »

Old Master wrote:Well, the game was quite good and gave the squad a good workout, despite the opposition's inability to offer much resistance or threat in front of goal.
Rogic was very disappointing, in my opinion, never quite got into the game, nor did Nabbout despite his excellent goal.

Mooy, despite being named MOTM was wasted in such a defensive role, he is much more effective playing more forward, as he showed on his few forays up the field.

Jedinak needs to be in that role Mooy played in, Behic and Risdon both played good games as did the whole defensive group - best I've seen Milligan perform for a long time, he looked a real deal in the central defensive role against such a tall opposition.

I think McClaren did himself no favours with his cameo appearance but Arzani had more touches (2) than him in six minutes and at least tried to put pressure on the defence.
I doubt if the inclusion of Jedinak would have improved that Australian side.

As for Rogic, I guess he was simply following the coach's instructions, as the coach said he was pleased with him after the game.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Milligan is experienced and can read the play from central defence. But there were a few passes over the top of him by the Czechs.

Also worried how he will cope with the aerial prowess of Giroud.

Other problem for ruthless Aussie Bert is how he will fit Jedinak, Mooy, Irvine, Luongo and Rogic into a 4-man midfield. Unless he goes with a midfield of 5 and just Juric at the pointy end up-front. Wouldn’t that give the overlapping French flank defenders carte blanche to overlap at will?

And where would that leave Leckie? IMO Aussie Bert should play without a central striker against the French and just have two wide forwards who would at least keep those rampaging French full-backs in check. Leckie & Nabbout could do that.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Will he actually play Meredith. Quality player who seems to be constantly unused.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:Will he actually play Meredith. Quality player who seems to be constantly unused.
I think he’s a chance in defence. It was awful how Postecoglou discarded him through a staffer who told him “they’re going with a younger brigade” (even though James was then only 27).

Aussie Bert obviously rates him with this recall. James Meredith has had a very consistent season with Millwall.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Will he actually play Meredith. Quality player who seems to be constantly unused.
I think he’s a chance in defence. It was awful how Postecoglou discarded him through a staffer who told him “they’re going with a younger brigade” (even though James was then only 27).

Aussie Bert obviously rates him with this recall. James Meredith has had a very consistent season with Millwall.
Had a very good season indeed. Just seems weird that he's named him in his last 3 squads but hasn't played him at all. To me, I was expecting him to play so he can have a good proper look at him but obviously he saw enough from his Millwall and training form.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Con M wrote:

Had a very good season indeed. Just seems weird that he's named him in his last 3 squads but hasn't played him at all. To me, I was expecting him to play so he can have a good proper look at him but obviously he saw enough from his Millwall and training form.
Yeah got to agree that it was strange that he didn't give him a run at all in the game against Czech republic, literally to just see how he goes at that level.

I don't think he (Meredith) was with the socceroos when we played Saudi Arabia.
It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Not sure who you played, but he's been in the squad for yoir last 3 games.