And then there were 23.

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

And then there were 23.

Post by Con M »

Maclaren, Langerak, Wright, Gersbach, Susnjar & Giannou are now cut out of the National Squad for the World Cup.

Maclaren has been scoring freely recently, albeit in the Scottish League. Juric & Cahill have hardly been playing let alone scoring, so Jamie might feel unlucky.

In ruthless Bert we trust, so hopefully this manager who took brutal Netherlands to a World Cup Final has got it right.

Three more will face the axe before the final 23 are announced on the 3rd of June.
Last edited by Con M on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Re: And then there were 26.

Post by Mr Red »

If Maclaren keeps banking them in then he will get his opportunities post WC IMO.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Did Meredith make the cut?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:Did Meredith make the cut?
James Meredith is in the 26.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Tim Cahill is pissing on his own legacy by becoming a brand ambassador rather than a player.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

zzz wrote:Tim Cahill is pissing on his own legacy by becoming a brand ambassador rather than a player.
I doubt he picks himself.
Ignore this signature

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Bomber wrote:
zzz wrote:Tim Cahill is pissing on his own legacy by becoming a brand ambassador rather than a player.
His management does the sponsorship deals which force the FFA's hand to pick him. He makes himself available when he should be retired.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

zzz wrote:
Bomber wrote:
His management does the sponsorship deals which force the FFA's hand to pick him. He makes himself available when he should be retired.
He goes to Russia - we'll get spanked - and a younger player misses out on the experience. Might score and become part of a rare breed in history.

He doesn't go to Russia - we'll get spanked anyway - many others in squad don't have the benefit of his World Cup finals experience. People will say he should have been picked, especially if toothless in attack.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I think it's great that the latest member of the Millwall coaching team (well that's what I've heard) is off to world cup with our full back.

Nugget
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Nugget »

Bomber wrote:
He goes to Russia - we'll get spanked - and a younger player misses out on the experience. Might score and become part of a rare breed in history.

He doesn't go to Russia - we'll get spanked anyway - many others in squad don't have the benefit of his World Cup finals experience. People will say he should have been picked, especially if toothless in attack.
I'm fine with Timmy being in the squad. But so should McLaren. Rukavitsya or Nabbout could have been left out.

Still 3 to be cut too.

And Frabnce release their squad this morning (our first game opponents) and leave OUT players like Payet, Benzema, Martial and Lacazette. WOAH

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nugget wrote:
Bomber wrote:

I'm fine with Timmy being in the squad. But so should McLaren. Rukavitsya or Nabbout could have been left out.

Still 3 to be cut too.

And Frabnce release their squad this morning (our first game opponents) and leave OUT players like Payet, Benzema, Martial and Lacazette. WOAH
Yep, big news. Although Payet is injured and Martial & Lacazette are on standby in case of more injured squad members.

Kante, Pogba, Lloris, Griezmann, Giroud, Mpappe et al - what a lineup Australia will be facing at 7.30pm Saturday 16 June (Adelaide time)!

Aussie Bert might have to rotate the fouls to slow the French down. It almost worked for him in a World Cup Final when Netherlands copped NINE(!) yellow cards.

Nugget
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Nugget »

Con M wrote: Yep, big news. Although Payet is injured and Martial & Lacazette are on standby in case of more injured squad members.

Kante, Pogba, Lloris, Griezmann, Giroud, Mpappe et al - what a lineup Australia will be facing at 7.30pm Saturday 16 June (Adelaide time)!

Aussie Bert might have to rotate the fouls to slow the French down. It almost worked for him in a World Cup Final when Netherlands copped NINE(!) yellow cards.
I have no clue how to stop this lineup :shock: An absolute shellacking is possible. Not ideal for a game that, due to the time, will have more eyes on it than any other Oz game in history. Park that bus lads! :cry: :mrgreen:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nugget wrote:
Con M wrote: Yep, big news. Although Payet is injured and Martial & Lacazette are on standby in case of more injured squad members.

I have no clue how to stop this lineup :shock: An absolute shellacking is possible. Not ideal for a game that, due to the time, will have more eyes on it than any other Oz game in history. Park that bus lads! :cry: :mrgreen:
They haven't had much bus parking practice (thanks to Ange). :wink:
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nugget wrote:

Yeah Golden Nugget, I’m worried too.

But dunno if it will rate higher than the OZ v. Croatia game in the 2006 Germany World Cup at dawn in Australia. Still right up there as a TV rating winner.

For example this time, many Australians of European & British heritage in Adelaide & Melbourne who have forgotten their parents’ sporting heritage of soccer-football will be tuned into the Hawforn (a Melbourne suburb) v. Camries (the team for supposedly all South Australians) on at the same 7.30pm time as their Nation’s World Cup game.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:
Nugget wrote:

They haven't had much bus parking practice (thanks to Ange). :wink:
Will need to be a double decker bus!!!

Nugget
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Nugget »

Con M wrote:Yeah Golden Nugget, I’m worried too.

But dunno if it will rate higher than the OZ v. Croatia game in the 2006 Germany World Cup at dawn in Australia. Still right up there as a TV rating winner.

For example this time, many Australians of European & British heritage in Adelaide & Melbourne who have forgotten their parents’ sporting heritage of soccer-football will be tuned into the Hawforn (a Melbourne suburb) v. Camries (the team for supposedly all South Australians) on at the same 7.30pm time as their Nation’s World Cup game.
Hmmm well its all speculation on how many will watch, but will be a LOT regardless.

Having said that I wasn't aware it was clashing with the AFL , let alone the Crows.... bloody hell. :\

Jellyfish Haircut
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Jellyfish Haircut »

I shan't be watching either.
THE ORAKLE wrote:my days as a missionary for this forum are now over. :|

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Bomber wrote:
zzz wrote:
Bomber wrote:

'might'

John Aloisi might score too

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/maclare ... roos-squad

Mclaren rejoins the Aussie squad!!!
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Nugget
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Nugget »

So he should. Now just to stay there. 3 still to be cut

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nugget wrote:So he should. Now just to stay there. 3 still to be cut
World Cup warmup match versus the Czech Republic at 8.30pm Fri 1st June will be on Fox channel 501.

Wuz gonna rush from late work shift to nearest pub to get a glimpse of Aussie Bert’s likely line-up, but realised most pokie-baron pubs will have their giant screen on the Syd.er.ney Swannettes versus Car.ton Blues blowout.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:but realised most pokie-baron pubs will have their giant screen on the Syd.er.ney Swannettes versus Car.ton Blues blowout.
Supply and demand

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Players I would drop
James Troisi not even up to A League
Joshua Brillante
Tim Cahill love him but we need to move on
Nikita Rukavytsya offers nothing and wont be there next WC

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:
World Cup warmup match versus the Czech Republic at 8.30pm Fri 1st June will be on Fox channel 501.

Wuz gonna rush from late work shift to nearest pub to get a glimpse of Aussie Bert’s likely line-up, but realised most pokie-baron pubs will have their giant screen on the Syd.er.ney Swannettes versus Car.ton Blues blowout.
Why didn't you watch One on FTA TV ?

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

ozzie owl wrote:
Con M wrote:

Why didn't you watch One on FTA TV ?
He's not as smart as he likes to make out :P
Time for some righteous indignation

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Well, the game was quite good and gave the squad a good workout, despite the opposition's inability to offer much resistance or threat in front of goal.
Rogic was very disappointing, in my opinion, never quite got into the game, nor did Nabbout despite his excellent goal.

Mooy, despite being named MOTM was wasted in such a defensive role, he is much more effective playing more forward, as he showed on his few forays up the field.

Jedinak needs to be in that role Mooy played in, Behic and Risdon both played good games as did the whole defensive group - best I've seen Milligan perform for a long time, he looked a real deal in the central defensive role against such a tall opposition.

I think McClaren did himself no favours with his cameo appearance but Arzani had more touches (2) than him in six minutes and at least tried to put pressure on the defence.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

game was quite good :lol:

I assume thatt was CR's reserbes as the whole game was a training ground run.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: And then there were 23.

Post by Con M »

Brillante, Troisi, Karacic and Rukavytsya miss out.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Con M wrote:Brillante, Troisi, Karacic and Rukavytsya miss out.
Australia's 2018 World Cup squad
Goalkeepers;Mat Ryan, Danny Vukovic, Brad Jones.
Defenders: Trent Sainsbury, Milos Degenek, Matt Jurman, Mark Milligan, Josh Risdon, Aziz Behich, James Meredith.
Midfielders: Mile Jedinak (captain), Aaron Mooy, Massimo Luongo, Jackson Irvine, Tomi Rogic, Dimitri Petratos, Mathew Leckie, Daniel Arzani.
Forwards: Tim Cahill, Tomi Juric, Andrew Nabbout, Jamie Maclaren, Robbie Kruse.

OldGold
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by OldGold »

eagleboy wrote:
Con M wrote:Brillante, Troisi, Karacic and Rukavytsya miss out.
Australia's 2018 World Cup squad
Goalkeepers;Mat Ryan, Danny Vukovic, Brad Jones.
Defenders: Trent Sainsbury, Milos Degenek, Matt Jurman, Mark Milligan, Josh Risdon, Aziz Behich, James Meredith.
Midfielders: Mile Jedinak (captain), Aaron Mooy, Massimo Luongo, Jackson Irvine, Tomi Rogic, Dimitri Petratos, Mathew Leckie, Daniel Arzani.
Forwards: Tim Cahill, Tomi Juric, Andrew Nabbout, Jamie Maclaren, Robbie Kruse.
Id play......

......................................Ryan......................................
Risdon............Sainsbury..... Jedinak............Behich.
...............Mooy..............................Luongo.............
....................................Rogic.....................................
Leckie.....................Juric/Cahill....................Nabbout.

Kruse to carry the drink bottles! (Hopefully without falling over)