Cup Round 1

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Cup Round 1

Post by juniorsupporter »

The cup draw happened yesterday, although I haven't found the fixtures on line. I believe that these are the first round match ups in the WNPL/State League cup- first team listed is home: If I've been misinformed or made an error, feel free to make a correction....

Cumberland v. Para Hills
Salisbury United v. Salisbury Inter
Western Strikers v. Uni
Croydon v. West Adelaide
Campbelltown v. Fulham
Jaguars v. City
Metro bye
Comets bye

If the way the draw was done is the way it's always been done in the past, then all the teams get put in a pot and randomly drawn out one by one, first drawn is home and second away in each pair.

I wonder what the statistical probability is that there are no matches between WNPL clubs and none between State League Clubs, and that the two byes fall one in each competition...I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen before. Was anyone at the draw and can comment?

And for anyone who is going to ask, NTC has never played in the Cup.

firehawk729
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Cup Round 1

Post by firehawk729 »

some interesting matches

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Is some suspecting that something is wrong in the way the draw is conducted and the probabilities of no WNPL Clubs playing each other? Perish the thought!

See City and Westies have done very well in the draw.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Having done the draw myself in the past, I am NOT questioning the integrity of the draw- that also questions the personal integrity of those who conduct it, and that’s not on. I was merely wondering whether the procedure was the same as in years past, and remarking that the way it turned out is unusual compared to other draws I’ve seen.
And if you ask me, all of the WNPL clubs did well in the draw.

Adelaide_Soccer
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Adelaide_Soccer »

We had someone at the draw, and it done just by random with all teams put together in one cup, and teams randomly pulled out. A coincidence for sure!

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Lol
The girls who left Inter and went to Para now at Salisbury, get to play their old club 2 years in a row in the cup.
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

juniorsupporter wrote:The cup draw happened yesterday, although I haven't found the fixtures on line. I believe that these are the first round match ups in the WNPL/State League cup- first team listed is home: If I've been misinformed or made an error, feel free to make a correction....

Cumberland v. Para Hills
Western Strikers v. Uni
Croydon v. West Adelaide
Campbelltown v. Fulham
Jaguars v. City
Metro bye
Comets bye

If the way the draw was done is the way it's always been done in the past, then all the teams get put in a pot and randomly drawn out one by one, first drawn is home and second away in each pair.

2 teams with a bye, surely they could play each other!

I wonder what the statistical probability is that there are no matches between WNPL clubs and none between State League Clubs, and that the two byes fall one in each competition...I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen before. Was anyone at the draw and can comment?

And for anyone who is going to ask, NTC has never played in the Cup.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

You need 8 teams going into the next round. If metro and comets played each other, you’d only have 7. This is standard fixture structure when you have 14 teams to work with...

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

juniorsupporter wrote:You need 8 teams going into the next round. If metro and comets played each other, you’d only have 7. This is standard fixture structure when you have 14 teams to work with...
thanks picked it up after I submitted my post, getting old takes a while for the brain to kick in.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

:lol:

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by M@rvin »

What are peoples picks for the cup round?
Mine are:

Cumberland v. Para Hills
Western Strikers v. Uni
Croydon v. West Adelaide
Campbelltown v. Fulham
Jaguars v. City
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Some good games and an "upset" abounds.

Cumberland to defeat Para Hills
Salisbury Inter to defeat its home town rivals Salisbury United and take home the bragging rights
Uni to defeat the Strikers,. Not easily but a tight game awaits
Westies to defeat Croydon in a demolition job
Campbelltown to easily defeat its soon to be league mates Fulham
City to defeat the Jaguars. This will be a good game though as the Jaguars can put up a good fight.

Coyote
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Coyote »

I agree with your tips BTK except Campbelltown to beat Fulham. Campbelltown have won only 3 times this season and currently sit 5th. They are a very young team and whilst they have a lot of potential will find it very hard to compete with Fulham in my opinion. There is a big difference between the WNPL and the State League teams (excluding Comets and Salisbury United). Fulham are slowly improving (demonstrated during recent losses 1 nil to Inter and 2 nil to NTC) and I believe will win easy against Campbelltown 5-0. No certainty just yet, to get relegated either. Long way to go….

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

All Prems sides to win easily.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Ok I concede....maybe I was looking for the result most likely to cause an upset.

Whilst Campbelltown aren't sitting up at the top of their Division, Fulham are planted at the bottom. Therefore, my prediction was based on many factors

I will concede that it is highly likely Fulham will win, it may be a win by the slightest margin.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

So it would seem that Croydon has forfeited their match with West Adelaide. Jaguars Reserves forfeited against City as well. ☹️

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Uni 11-0 strikers
Fulham 5-0 Campbelltown
Cumby 5- 1PHK
Inter 7- 1 United
WA 3- Croydon 0 (forfeit)
City 23-0 Jaguars

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

WOW

Results all went the way of the Premier League teams.

Seriously though for the integrity of the competition, Jaguars cannot continue to draw a game against a prems side when results like that occur. Apart from the forfeit (that's another story in itself), the results were ok. Whilst commendable Jaguars didn't take the Croydon option and forfeit, 23-0 isn't good for them, City or the competition.

Will be interesting to see the pairings for the next round.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Disappointing to have 3 forfeits in the reserves cup out of 6 games.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Jaguars/City game wasn’t fun for anyone- A positive is that the Jaguars girls kept their heads up and worked hard the whole game. Their coach was unfailingly positive and supportive of the girls. The club is to be commended for such a strong show of character. Success will come for them if they continue that way.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

What a dissappointing cup round.
The FFSA needs to act on those clubs that forfeited and fine them accordingly and ban them for next years cup round.
It shows disrespect to the womens cup competition.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Lose 20+ nil - terrible - OR
Forfeit - terrible

Make up your minds.
Ignore this signature

Hunter
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Hunter »

Not too difficult to fix this. Don't fine anyone, just have seeding in the competition so the stronger sides join later. Getting beaten by a big score doesn't help anyone, neither does forfeiting.

The oldest Cup competition in the world (FA Cup) starts in August but the Premier League sides don't take part until the following January.......

Rascal21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rascal21 »

Bomber wrote:Lose 20+ nil - terrible - OR
Forfeit - terrible

Make up your minds.
Both are equally "terrible"!

This to me just highlight's the massive problem with State League. All SL teams should be relishing the opportunity to test themselves against WNPL (inc res) teams to benchmark their ability's and determine area in their game that needs improving to help them achieve WNPL promotion. The fact SL teams forfeited games against WNPL teams because "they didn't want to get battered" shows they should be in the community league.

I have a lot of respect for Jags who knew it was going to be a one sided game but still turned up (compared to other teams in their comp) however the gap in ability between SL and WNPL should not be that big to warrant that kind of score.

The FFSA really need to start to stop pretending that it is good for the game and development to have what should be Community Div teams in SL and turn it back into a high quality competition, reflecting the second highest tier in South Australian Women's Football.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Rascal21 wrote:
Bomber wrote:Lose 20+ nil - terrible - OR
Forfeit - terrible

Make up your minds.
Both are equally "terrible"!

This to me just highlight's the massive problem with State League. All SL teams should be relishing the opportunity to test themselves against WNPL (inc res) teams to benchmark their ability's and determine area in their game that needs improving to help them achieve WNPL promotion. The fact SL teams forfeited games against WNPL teams because "they didn't want to get battered" shows they should be in the community league.

I have a lot of respect for Jags who knew it was going to be a one sided game but still turned up (compared to other teams in their comp) however the gap in ability between SL and WNPL should not be that big to warrant that kind of score.

The FFSA really need to start to stop pretending that it is good for the game and development to have what should be Community Div teams in SL and turn it back into a high quality competition, reflecting the second highest tier in South Australian Women's Football.
The FFSA are encouraging all NPL teams to field women's teams. All well and good, but the talent is too thin, clearly.
Expectations might just be too high at present. Over time, this will probably change for the better, especially if the Matildas continue to shine on the world stage.
Given the gaps, maybe the cup comp needs to have some play-offs first (lower leagues) and then introduce the PL teams later.
Ignore this signature

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Brilliant discussions about the Cup and how its should happen in the future so that we can try and avoid blowouts and forfeits.

You ought to put that forward to the FFSA.

On another note, the depth of talent is a issue that needs to be addressed. I get the NTC competition and how its producing top notch players for the league however, this is top end talent that's destined for the WNPL and not SL. Unless of course the downward pressure by the NTC may see some WNPL players pushed out of their respective WNPL teams disperse into the SL.

Work needs to happen in S clubs s is happening in the WNPL. The good performing teams are establishing strong off field structures to develop players. Those that are behind the ball like Fulham will quickly fall away. The SL may be resultant to do so and we then get we get the situation like Campbelltown that quickly exists the WNPL without striking a blow. NTC is a different beast and will stay in the WNPL Because of many factors including strong off field and developmental programs. SL clubs need to take responsibility to ready themselves for a strike at the WNPL promotion opportunity.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

juniorsupporter wrote:So it would seem that Croydon has forfeited their match with West Adelaide. Jaguars Reserves forfeited against City as well. ☹️

As did Western Strikers reserves V Uni

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Oh really? Positive? Grin and bear it maybe. Cup comp needs a revamp in line with what's been discussed herein
juniorsupporter wrote:Jaguars/City game wasn’t fun for anyone- A positive is that the Jaguars girls kept their heads up and worked hard the whole game. Their coach was unfailingly positive and supportive of the girls. The club is to be commended for such a strong show of character. Success will come for them if they continue that way.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Sorry Billy- I saw their effort and comportment as something worthy of a positive mention. As I said, it wasn’t particularly enjoyable for any of the players on either side. Yes, Jaguars did ‘grin and bear it’. My point was they did so with class and made the best of it. Were you there?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Hi. No I was not there. Not sure how anything positive can come out of a 23-0 win.