Arsenal 2018/2019

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Arsenal 2017/2018

Post by N5 1BH »

Yeah Europa is Wenger's last chance for euro glory, hope he's up to it.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

N5 1BH wrote:Yeah Europa is Wenger's last chance for euro glory, hope he's up to it.
I'm torn..

we win Europa = another trophy for the cabinet, entry back to UCL & Wenger gets another contract extension
we don't make the final = another missed opportunity & Wenger may finally pack his bags & depart

I'm thinking latter of the two as I've had enough of Wenger!
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:Yeah Europa is Wenger's last chance for euro glory, hope he's up to it.
I'm torn..

we win Europa = another trophy for the cabinet, entry back to UCL & Wenger gets another contract extension
we don't make the final = another missed opportunity & Wenger may finally pack his bags & depart

Heretic! :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

DavidBluntJr
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by DavidBluntJr »

And I wonder who could take the place of Wenger?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

haywood djablowme wrote:
I'm torn..

Want that trophy but do agree the thought of wenger taking this current lot into the UCL for yet another spanking in the knockouts doesn't sit well. Looking at positives wenger goes out one year early a Euro cup winner, please.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Wonderful first half against CSKA with the 3rd goal (Ozil to Ramsey) a thing of beauty.

Pity Ramsey only hit the post in the second half. It would have sealed his hat-trick and ensured no surprises in faraway Moscow next week.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Welbeck ? Genuine attacking threat or Bambi on ice

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

A sad day for football in North London. :(

One can only hope that Roy Hodgson takes his place. :D
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Damn! Needed that second goal against Atletico.

What was Koscielny thinking, trying to hook it back over his head instead of playing it back the way he was facing to Ospina?

Some magnificent saves by Oblak to keep his side in the game.

Now for a fraught trip to Madrid, although Lacazette is definitely in the mood to score again.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Damn! Needed that second goal against Atletico.

What was Koscielny thinking, trying to hook it back over his head instead of playing it back the way he was facing to Ospina?

Now for a fraught trip to Madrid, although Lacazette is definitely in the mood to score again.
A rousing chorus of, "solo tenemos diez hombres" :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Ah, Not Nice Cyril. You forgot to add: “We (Atletico) we’re down to 10 men - deservedly so”.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Ah, Not Nice Cyril. You forgot to add: “We (Atletico) we’re down to 10 men - deservedly so”.
Cheers doesn't sound very Spanish.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

WTF was Welbeck thinking throwing himself to the ground while in possession when the team were stretched, was a time he would back himself to beat anyone in that position.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

N5 1BH wrote:

WTF was Welbeck thinking throwing himself to the ground while in possession when the team were stretched, was a time he would back himself to beat anyone in that position.
Yeah, that too N5 1BH. He was taking on 3 opponents in that situation and he was never gonna win that...

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Love the thought of man u's so called fans having to sit through another 3 or 4 years of that shite, they were very ordinary considering the team we had out. Whatever the future holds all I can say is thank shiraz Mourhino is unavailable.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

I never used to like Diego Costa, just shows how your opinion can change :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Sad ending in the semi. Skipper down and out with a serious injury very early.

His inadequate replacement Chambers should have headed out on the stroke of half-time and Costa would never have scored at that critical time.

How Atletico’s captain Gabi got away with all those fouls and only a yellow was up to that weak ref. Gabi did an identical foul that Wilshere did for a yellow moments before - yet Gabi escaped without a second yellow and out. Could well have changed things.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Sad ending in the semi. Skipper down and out with a serious injury very early.

His inadequate replacement Chambers should have headed out on the stroke of half-time and Costa would never have scored at that critical time.

How Atletico’s captain Gabi got away with all those fouls and only a yellow was up to that weak ref. Gabi did an identical foul that Wilshere did for a yellow moments before - yet Gabi escaped without a second yellow and out. Could well have changed things.
Martin Samuel wrote:Diego Costa appears at the doorway of the Atletico Madrid dressing-room, an hour before kick off. "Lads," he announces with a big grin. "It's Arsenal."

Well, he probably didn't; but he could have. It was one of those nights, those Arsenal nights in Europe. Glimpses of potential but ultimately defeat and disappointment. At the final whistle the players slumped to the ground, crushed.

Yet in reality, goalkeeper Jan Oblak made one save, from a shot by defensive midfield player Granit Xhaka. It was not as if Arsenal were unfortunate or expended every last drop of energy. They were still Arsenal. They always wanted one extra touch before crossing, they were always half a yard short of getting a toe to it in the six-yard box. They were just over, they were just wide, they were just...Arsenal.
:lol:
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Laugh while you can, but you’ve won the same as us this year. A new dawn is coming for us, a very, very expensive white elephant for you.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:Laugh while you can, but you’ve won the same as us this year. A new dawn is coming for us, a very, very expensive white elephant for you.
Having been a Spurs fan for nearly sixty years, I've seen plenty of new dawns, most often you wake up, the sun's not shining and it's pissing down. You might well end up with a manager who's worse than the one you're getting rid of.

Whilst the new stadium is expensive, it will generate considerably more revenue on matchdays and for other activities, so hopefully will be self-financing. I just hope it isn't a soulless place like the New Library up the road or that dreadful athletics stadium in East London.
Danny Blanchflower

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by maxin in the shade »

That was a hard defeat to take and I feel really bad for Arsenal and Wenger.

We were made to pay for our first leg performance when we should’ve taken full advantage of the many chances we had, but instead allowed AM to come away with a draw due to dreadful defending (as seems to be our norm now). And again this morning, some bad errors allowed Costa to get a goal right on HT. That was deflating.

Was surprised to see Wilshere getting subbed. Thought he was coming into the game well and seemed to be one of the few trying to make something happen for us going forward. For all the cr@p Xhaka seems to get, he too had a decent match. Also, why cant we seem to put any decent crosses into the box when we get the chance??

But again, no Champions League football next season and no happy ending for Wenger who was so desperate to win in Europe before his exit. You could see after the game how much this hurt him.

Even the most disgruntled Arsenal fans must have hoped they could give Wenger a celebratory send-off in Lyon.

Anyway, its onwards and upwards (hopefully) for Arsenal. A new Manager and a new beginning to give fans renewed hope and come in to shake things up and get the best out of this playing group.

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by maxin in the shade »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:Laugh while you can, but you’ve won the same as us this year. A new dawn is coming for us, a very, very expensive white elephant for you.
Having been a Spurs fan for nearly sixty years, I've seen plenty of new dawns, most often you wake up, the sun's not shining and it's pissing down. You might well end up with a manager who's worse than the one you're getting rid of.

Whilst the new stadium is expensive, it will generate considerably more revenue on matchdays and for other activities, so hopefully will be self-financing. I just hope it isn't a soulless place like the New Library up the road or that dreadful athletics stadium in East London.
Its expensive and the cost keeps growing and growing. What is it now, $1B?

Regardless of getting more revenue from it, it wont be 'self financing'.

You'll be reliant of CL qualification year in, year out and will you be able to afford to splurge on new players each season?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

maxin in the shade wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

You'll be reliant of CL qualification year in, year out and will you be able to afford to splurge on new players each season?
They can afford many more players if Levy takes a pay cut.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

maxin in the shade wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Not sure if it's hit the billion yet, but it certainly make your eyes water. The predictions I saw were for an uplift in revenue of £60m a year over WHL, which would at least cover some of the interest!

Spurs have never been big spenders in the transfer market, they've never had the money tbh, so no change there.
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Didn't the spuds pay £60m for janssen & sissoko, must have bucket loads of money

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:Didn't the spuds pay £60m for janssen & sissoko, must have bucket loads of money

Grrrrr.... don't get me started on Sissoko. I reckon some Goon slipped his name under Levy's nose and he fell for it.
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Good win (5-0) against Burnley. The 3rd goal by Kolasinac was a screamer!

Great home farewell for Professor Wenger, a man who has always believed football can be an art form.

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:Didn't the spuds pay £60m for janssen & sissoko, must have bucket loads of money

Grrrrr.... don't get me started on Sissoko. I reckon some Goon slipped his name under Levy's nose and he fell for it.
The Geordies laughed all the way to the bank. Well, Mike Ashley's bank account anyway.

lucas123
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by lucas123 »

Arsenal have let a number of key backroom staff members go as they continue their biggest restructuring in two decades following Arsene Wenger's departure.

A club source confirmed to ESPN FC that head of medical services Colin Lewin was told on Monday that he was losing his job after 23 years at the club, joining several other long-term Wenger allies in departing.

First-team coaches Neil Bamfield and Boro Primorac, goalkeeping coach Gerry Peyton and fitness coach Tony Colbert have also been let go.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Emery it is. Unai, not David, but he'll have a few hurdles to clear all the same.

Sorry to see Wenger go :wink:
Danny Blanchflower