Poor State of Junior Football

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Poor State of Junior Football

Post by Sushi »

If the JPL is the benchmark of junior football in SA, then we may as well shut the doors and return the keys right now.
Shocking first touch, can't play a decent pass over 10 yards,poor decision-making,no structure.

And I'm not talking about the Under 12s.
Some club technical directors should be arrested for acting under false pretenses- I hope they're not getting paid!

I blame the ffa and ffsa- since the 2006 world cup, they should have invested in proper development coaches. Instead they raked in the cash but spent it thriftily on two-bob wannabes who think that some nsl/a-league experience makes them legends.

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Poor State of Junior Football

Post by romarios shin »

alfieboy wrote:If the JPL is the benchmark of junior football in SA, then we may as well shut the doors and return the keys right now.
Shocking first touch, can't play a decent pass over 10 yards,poor decision-making,no structure.

Some club technical directors should be arrested for acting under false pretenses- I hope they're not getting paid!

I blame the ffa and ffsa- since the 2006 world cup, they should have invested in proper development coaches. Instead they raked in the cash but spent it thriftily on two-bob wannabes who think that some nsl/a-league experience makes them legends.

But if you have a "Famous" name as the figurehead of your club, you will attract more players and therefore generate more cash
:wink: :wink:

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

romarios shin wrote:
alfieboy wrote:If the JPL is the benchmark of junior football in SA, then we may as well shut the doors and return the keys right now.

But if you have a "Famous" name as the figurehead of your club, you will attract more players and therefore generate more cash
:wink: :wink:
Yeah that worked really well with a club in the western suburbs

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

I think it depend who you are watching. Some teams are quite good
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Question - when was the last time you saw anyone from the FFSA at your club?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Pie and Bovril wrote:

Saturday

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

paul merson wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:

Saturday
No wonder Metrostars juniors are doing so well.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Pie and Bovril wrote:

Other than a referee? Never. But then in fairness people from the FFSA are hardly going to be looking for me if they did turn up
Go Reds

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

You'll find Michael Carter doesn't make a big deal about his attendance at games, tends to quietly check out the game and speak with club officials, so he may well have been at your club and you not know.

We also have a son of a FFSA employee playing at the club, so we see him 2 or 3 times a week.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

paul merson wrote:You'll find Michael Carter doesn't make a big deal about his attendance at games, tends to quietly check out the game and speak with club officials, so he may well have been at your club and you not know.

We also have a son of a FFSA employee playing at the club, so we see him 2 or 3 times a week.
My reference was really in respect to coaching. Other than Cristiano doing one session per year there is little from our governing body. You can basically have someone coaching a team who has never played or watched a game in his life, and there are certainly plenty of those around.

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

There are other coaches that work at the ffsa that would be more than happy to come out to clubs to run sessions and talk to coaches.
Your coaches could also go out and watch sessions run by ffsa coaches, unfortunately too many just whinge and continue to blame FFSA for everything.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Pie and Bovril wrote:
paul merson wrote:You'll find Michael Carter doesn't make a big deal about his attendance at games, tends to quietly check out the game and speak with club officials, so he may well have been at your club and you not know.

My reference was really in respect to coaching. Other than Cristiano doing one session per year there is little from our governing body. You can basically have someone coaching a team who has never played or watched a game in his life, and there are certainly plenty of those around.
That falls more into the club TD's role more than FFSA's, in my opinion.
I bounce stuff off ours all the time.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

paul merson wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:

That falls more into the club TD's role more than FFSA's, in my opinion.
I bounce stuff off ours all the time.
100% agree. If there are poor coaches at clubs that's the club's fault. Yes most coaches are parents not professional junior coaches but the TD etc can provide guidance, support and development to help even the most novice parent to be able to do something productive.

And also agree that coaches need to seek assistance not just whinge. I needed some tips on helping a young goal keeper, talked to the TD and he was brilliant, helped me and the kid.
Go Reds

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

Unfortunately some clubs have TDs whose ego is larger than their ability.
That is the club's fault.
In fact some TDs decision making is embarrassing.
God help the kids.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

alfieboy wrote:Unfortunately some clubs have TDs whose ego is larger than their ability.
That is the club's fault.
In fact some TDs decision making is embarrassing.
God help the kids.
All comes down to who is making the decisions. If the President has no idea about who to recruit and brings in bad people then they're flushing their club down the toilet.
Go Reds

Nap_65
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Nap_65 »

Its Important that the presidents have a vision and plan which should include input from all stake holders not just his own vision. Too many presidents have their own self interest in clubs and think they have the right to make decisions that impact future direction of the club with out involving committees.

Clubs need to focus in bringing Coaches and TD that have plan to develop juniors in this state. FFSA need to invest in coaching the coaches and not just provide a half day session and give them a certificate. There is no follow up from FFSA to see how the coaches are delivering the sessions.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Nap_65 wrote:Its Important that the presidents have a vision and plan which should include input from all stake holders not just his own vision. Too many presidents have their own self interest in clubs and think they have the right to make decisions that impact future direction of the club with out involving committees.

Clubs need to focus in bringing Coaches and TD that have plan to develop juniors in this state. FFSA need to invest in coaching the coaches and not just provide a half day session and give them a certificate. There is no follow up from FFSA to see how the coaches are delivering the sessions.
And that's why the onus falls back on the clubs. How many coaches are there in SA Vs the number of FFSA staff? It would be impossible for FFSA to take an active approach to developing individuals at all the clubs.
Go Reds

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

Nap_65 wrote:Its Important that the presidents have a vision and plan which should include input from all stake holders not just his own vision. Too many presidents have their own self interest in clubs and think they have the right to make decisions that impact future direction of the club with out involving committees.

If the FFSA had to follow up to see how the coaches were delivering the sessions I would say the majority of coaches would lose their licences

Nap_65
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Nap_65 »

Thats my point too many coaches not having licences and certificates and still dont have any idea in coaching

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

Nap_65 wrote:Thats my point too many coaches not having licences and certificates and still dont have any idea in coaching
Then there are the you tube coaches and wave their certificates and gold stars.
But cant coach.

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by romarios shin »

alfieboy wrote:
Nap_65 wrote:Thats my point too many coaches not having licences and certificates and still dont have any idea in coaching
But cant coach.
that would be 90% of the coaches i have experienced.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Then there are unaccredited coaches who are actually very good. Proves the whole set up is a sham any way.
Go Reds

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

romarios shin wrote:
alfieboy wrote:
But cant coach.
that would be 90% of the coaches i have experienced.
So do you agree that FFSA coaching system isn't working then?

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by romarios shin »

that would be 90% of the coaches i have experienced.[/quote]So do you agree that FFSA coaching system isn't working then?[/quote]

absolutely, on the course i did this year there were a few coaches who didn't know what they were doing, 1 openly said he was from a different sporting background and had no clue about soccer.........everyone passed!

you get the feeling it was just to fulfill quotas.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

From what I gather though the courses are designed to teach you how to communicate, not what to coach and coaching techniques. That might be wrong but it's what I was told.
Go Reds

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

limozeen wrote:From what I gather though the courses are designed to teach you how to communicate, not what to coach and coaching techniques. That might be wrong but it's what I was told.
The community courses are useless, especially the game training certificate. You basically get to watch a bloke from the FFSA look at drills on his iPad. The course is concluded by each participant demonstrating that they can instruct a particular exercise. The guy from the FFSA wasn't evening watching most of the time. It's a pass on attendance basically, totally and utterly worthless, albeit sufficient to coach Juniors U13-U17 according to the FFSA.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

magnet wrote:
limozeen wrote:From what I gather though the courses are designed to teach you how to communicate, not what to coach and coaching techniques. That might be wrong but it's what I was told.
The community courses are useless, especially the game training certificate. You basically get to watch a bloke from the FFSA look at drills on his iPad. The course is concluded by each participant demonstrating that they can instruct a particular exercise. The guy from the FFSA wasn't evening watching most of the time. It's a pass on attendance basically, totally and utterly worthless, albeit sufficient to coach Juniors U13-U17 according to the FFSA.
Well that sounds like total garbage then. And I assume you have to pay for it?
Go Reds

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by romarios shin »

magnet wrote:
Our instructor spent most of the course talking about himself and who and where he has coached. He also didnt watch some of the participants exercises. Game training was 2 full days (9-5pm) but in reality it could have been done in a morning session.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

But then on the other hand, Airton argues points and tries to drag answers and football discussion out of each coach yet is criticized for it, can’t win.

Germany & Spain improved their countries football development by having as many coaches as possible go through the courses/licenses, the difference being they were heavily subsidized.
They have many coaches with pro licenses coaching kids, they also have more contact hours per license.
Licenses don’t teach you the game, they teach you how to turn your review of a game into training sessions, how to get the most out of your sessions.
Not sure about the community courses, but the licenses are good, you can only teach what you know.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

paul merson wrote:But then on the other hand, Airton argues points and tries to drag answers and football discussion out of each coach yet is criticized for it, can’t win.

Germany & Spain improved their countries football development by having as many coaches as possible go through the courses/licenses, the difference being they were heavily subsidized.
They have many coaches with pro licenses coaching kids, they also have more contact hours per license.
Licenses don’t teach you the game, they teach you how to turn your review of a game into training sessions, how to get the most out of your sessions.
Not sure about the community courses, but the licenses are good, you can only teach what you know.
And what you know is only as good as your ability to teach it to others.
Go Reds