Champions League 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Champions League 2018

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Cracking game between Juve and Spurs, had absolutely everything and could have gone either way. Draw was probably a fair result and puts Spurs in the box seat for the game at Wembley.

Apart from the first ten minutes, very happy with Spurs' performance, to go to Turin and essentially dominate the game is no mean feat.

I see Man City cruising in the other tie, KDB pulling the strings again.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Champions League 2018

Post by Con M »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Cracking game between Juve and Spurs, had absolutely everything and could have gone either way. Draw was probably a fair result and puts Spurs in the box seat for the game at Wembley.

Apart from the first ten minutes, very happy with Spurs' performance, to go to Turin and essentially dominate the game is no mean feat.

Yeah, gotta agree it was a good game to watch at dawn this morn, Not Nice. Thought Pochettino’s team were dead after 0-2 in the early minutes, but they came back.

Juve kicking themselves not going 3-1 with that penalty @ stroke of H.T.

Smart low goal by Eriksen when the wall jumped.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Cracking game between Juve and Spurs, had absolutely everything and could have gone either way. Draw was probably a fair result and puts Spurs in the box seat for the game at Wembley.

City could rest half their starters for the home leg, next round in the bag for them.

Mápó Tòfu
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Mápó Tòfu »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Just finished watching the replay of the Spurs game.. very entertaining game with both teams doing enough to win it!

Dembele to me has to be the most underrated player in Europe.

Should make for an interesting return leg at Wembley
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

haywood djablowme wrote:Just finished watching the replay of the Spurs game.. very entertaining game with both teams doing enough to win it!

Dembele was being heavily criticised earlier in the season but his recent performances have been excellent.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote:
haywood djablowme wrote:Just finished watching the replay of the Spurs game.. very entertaining game with both teams doing enough to win it!

Dembele was being heavily criticised earlier in the season but his recent performances have been excellent.
He was injured, just getting back to match fitness now.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Old Master wrote:

He was injured, just getting back to match fitness now.
He'd be due another injury right about now then

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Pissed off, but credit to Juve, outplayed for the majority of the match, but defended for their lives and found a way to score twice with only two attempts on target.
Danny Blanchflower

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Forza Juve! Too much experience and guile for Spurs.
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Pissed off, but credit to Juve, outplayed for the majority of the match, but defended for their lives and found a way to score twice with only two attempts on target.
They may of course have missed it, but they should have had a penalty in first half. massive blunder by the ref, and his assistants

And why did Lloris not come out and save the second? You usually find fault with goals, he was majorly wrong in the decisive moment in the tie.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Ga Pala wrote:Forza Juve! Too much experience and guile for Spurs.
I think you're right, they defended brilliantly and were cynical and professional when needed and Spurs showed a bit of naivety in defending. Higuain should have been hacked the second he turned for the second.

Juve should have had a penalty, but then again, so should Spurs for the obvious shirt pulling, but overall, Spurs' failure to score the second goal, despite plenty of chances, came back to bite them on the muscat.
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Pissed off, but credit to Juve, outplayed for the majority of the match, but defended for their lives and found a way to score twice with only two attempts on target.
They may of course have missed it, but they should have had a penalty in first half. massive blunder by the ref, and his assistants

And why did Lloris not come out and save the second? You usually find fault with goals, he was majorly wrong in the decisive moment in the tie.
Sorry, can't agree that Lloris was at fault for either goal. See my post to Ga Pala.

Re the Juve penalty, what is the point of paying extra officials if they can't see what's in front (literally in this case) of their faces?
Danny Blanchflower

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:[

VAR might of helped?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Mr Red wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:[

VAR might of helped?
VAR would also have given Spurs a penalty and sent off Barzagli, but I still hate it.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:

Sorry, can't agree that Lloris was at fault for either goal. See my post to Ga Pala.

Re the Juve penalty, what is the point of paying extra officials if they can't see what's in front (literally in this case) of their faces?
Lloris could have come out smarter made himself big and he would have probably saved it. But obviously it's not certain.
I am 100% with you re the extra officials. I though the ref was poor all first half - wasn't watching second closely to be able to comment.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:I am 100% with you re the extra officials. I though the ref was poor all first half - wasn't watching second closely to be able to comment.
IMO, the reason players theatrically enhance contact, is precisely because clowns like the fourth, fifth, sixth (which one was he?) official don't give obvious penalties, they almost force players to cheat.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:I am 100% with you re the extra officials. I though the ref was poor all first half - wasn't watching second closely to be able to comment.
IMO, the reason players theatrically enhance contact, is precisely because clowns like the fourth, fifth, sixth (which one was he?) official don't give obvious penalties, they almost force players to cheat.
I see where you are coming from.
The ones at Anfield were at least debateable , this one wasn't. Should he have gone down after the first contact? Maybe. But the second one ensured it was a pen!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:

He’ll, don’t faint Not Nice. I’M agreeing again with you after watching the game live this morn. It was right under the nose of the 5th official.

So why is UEFA persisting in deploying these goal-line assistant ref cowards who won’t make an instant recommendation to the central ref?

And UEFA is also persisting in not going with VAR which would have fixed this.

Personally I’m wavering about VAR. What if Gianni “the infant” Infantino is right about VAR decisions only taking an average of 55 seconds? There’s plenty of other delays in the game taking that long - injuries, subs taking an eternity to walk off, goal kicks, short corners to run the clock down etc etc.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Con M wrote: He’ll, don’t faint Not Nice. I’M agreeing again with you after watching the game live this morn. It was right under the nose of the 5th official.

So why is UEFA persisting in deploying these goal-line assistant ref cowards who won’t make an instant recommendation to the central ref?

And UEFA is also persisting in not going with VAR which would have fixed this.

Personally I’m wavering about VAR. What if Gianni “the infant” Infantino is right about VAR decisions only taking an average of 55 seconds? There’s plenty of other delays in the game taking that long - injuries, subs taking an eternity to walk off, goal kicks, short corners to run the clock down etc etc.
Nothing wrong with agreeing with me :-) My only big issue with VAR is the fans (at the game) don't know what is going on. It has teething trouble but I am confident it will be acceptable in the future.

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by maxin in the shade »

Spurs all but guaranteed top four, exiting the CL at the round of sixteen stage and the FA Cup is their only chance of a trophy.

I remember when Arsenal was deemed in crisis for similar reasons.

Yet everyone loves Tottenham cause they have 'so much potential'.

Still waiting on that first piece of silverware though

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

maxin in the shade wrote:Spurs all but guaranteed top four, exiting the CL at the round of sixteen stage and the FA Cup is their only chance of a trophy.

I remember when Arsenal was deemed in crisis for similar reasons.

Yet everyone loves Tottenham cause they have 'so much potential'.

Still waiting on that first piece of silverware though
Perspective depends on where you've come from and Arsenal are getting worse whilst Spurs are improving. Not much to choose between them at the moment, but long may that momentum continue.
Danny Blanchflower

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Credit to Spurs and their manager who is building a fantastic TEAM. They are heading in the right direction and will gain invaluable experience from these pressure cooker matches. IMO If they can keep this team together and continue to strengthen in areas they need to, I can see them having some real success and progressing to the final stages of the Champions League.
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Ga Pala wrote:Credit to Spurs and their manager who is building a fantastic TEAM. They are heading in the right direction and will gain invaluable experience from these pressure cooker matches. IMO If they can keep this team together and continue to strengthen in areas they need to, I can see them having some real success and progressing to the final stages of the Champions League.
TBF what you have written is true about LFC CFC and MUFC

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Ga Pala wrote:Credit to Spurs and their manager who is building a fantastic TEAM. They are heading in the right direction and will gain invaluable experience from these pressure cooker matches. IMO If they can keep this team together and continue to strengthen in areas they need to, I can see them having some real success and progressing to the final stages of the Champions League.
Perhaps true about the modern LFC, but the latter stages of the European Cup are not exactly virgin territory for Chelsea and United.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Perhaps true about the modern LFC, but the latter stages of the European Cup are not exactly virgin territory for Chelsea and United.
Is man utd one QF in 7 years? Since they lost to Barcelona they have not really performed or qualified.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Chelsea getting flogged by Barca (although tbf they should have had a penalty), United parking the bus against a pretty average Sevilla and losing, Spurs outplaying but being knocked out by Juve. It will be interesting to see how Liverpool and City, who haven't really played anyone decent yet, get on in the next round. They'll both be hoping for Roma or Sevilla I reckon and I'm not overly impressed with Bayern this year.
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

When's the draw?
Ignore this signature

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Bomber wrote:When's the draw?
9-30 PM Friday night.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Bomber wrote:When's the draw?
9-30 PM Friday night.
Some interesting ties.

City v Liverpool - City over two legs for me.
Sevilla v Bayern - close one this, Bayern are not playing well (which illustrates the weakness of the Bundesliga atm) and I reckon it might go to penalties. Ze Germans never lose on penalties :wink:
Barca v Roma - Barca comfortably.
Juve v Real - Neither team at their best, but Real look to be finding some form and should progress.
Danny Blanchflower