Steve Smith a cheat?

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Steve Smith a cheat?

Post by God is an Englishman »

Cooper wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:Nice to see the English cricketers continue to cheat in the T20 tri-series..... Claiming catches that clearly hit the ground
:roll:
Yep and Clarke the twat calling it 100% out and a terrible decision, what a grenache sucker he is
When even Channel 9 commentators are saying an australian was out, you know he must be out. Watch when Roy and maxwell shake hands at the end, Roy tells him he was out.

Only an aussie would be caught at long on and try and keep running.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Cooper wrote:
Wayne Kerr wrote:Nice to see the English cricketers continue to cheat in the T20 tri-series..... Claiming catches that clearly hit the ground
Yep and Clarke the twat calling it 100% out and a terrible decision, what a grenache sucker he is
When even Channel 9 commentators are saying an australian was out, you know he must be out. Watch when Roy and maxwell shake hands at the end, Roy tells him he was out.

Only an aussie would be caught at long on and try and keep running.
And what is your opinion on the catch with all the information at hand?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cooper wrote:And what is your opinion on the catch with all the information at hand?
I believe he caught it, you can see his fingers underneath the ball. Similar to some of the other decisions though, I don't think there was enough evidence to over turn a decision but it's also pretty likely that at least one blade of grass touched the ball.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Its happening too often these days - it looked a half volley to me. End of, they should only give it out if it is 100%. And the fact that Clarke said it was 100% means nothing - he wouldn't know if his arse was on fire.
Ignore this signature

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Cooper wrote:And what is your opinion on the catch with all the information at hand?
I believe he caught it, you can see his fingers underneath the ball. Similar to some of the other decisions though, I don't think there was enough evidence to over turn a decision but it's also pretty likely that at least one blade of grass touched the ball.
Fair enough. My opinion is that yes he had those 2 fingers there but along the back of the ball till the ball bounced up off the turf into his hands

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Cooper wrote:

Does anybody even like Clarke?
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

pity the video umpire overturned the original decision by the field umpire, must of not been out.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Wayne Kerr wrote:

pity the video umpire overturned the original decision by the field umpire, must of not been out.
Clear evidence?

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Wayne Kerr wrote:

Clear evidence?

Must of been, why else would the video umpire overule the field umpire?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Wayne Kerr wrote:Must of been, why else would the video umpire overule the field umpire?
He thought so obviously, I believe he was wrong. Only needs one person to say it isn't and obviously it isn't clear.

However, I think we all know that you don't actually watch any cricket and certainly don't with both eyes.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Can you imagine if that had been Steve Smith trying to claim the identical catch, wouldn't hear the end of it on here.

Mápó Tòfu
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Mápó Tòfu »

When in Rome...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
Can you imagine if that had been Steve Smith trying to claim the identical catch, wouldn't hear the end of it on here.
He did try to claim one like that, you brought it up again - not me.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Mápó Tòfu wrote:When in Rome...
There's plenty to go and see. :)
Ignore this signature

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Wayne Kerr wrote:Must of been, why else would the video umpire overule the field umpire?
He thought so obviously, I believe he was wrong. Only needs one person to say it isn't and obviously it isn't clear.

However, I think we all know that you don't actually watch any cricket and certainly don't with both eyes.

Well, your opinion is wrong. An international cricket umpire says it was not out and overuled the field umpire.

case closed

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Wayne Kerr wrote:

Well, your opinion is wrong. An international cricket umpire says it was not out and overuled the field umpire.

case closed
Wrong in your opinion, right in many peoples opinions. Hence, NOT CLEAR.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Anyway, better luck in NZ.
Ignore this signature

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Anyone got a link to the contentious Smith catch? Id like to make sure I'm seeing the right one as ive forgotten about it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cooper wrote:Anyone got a link to the contentious Smith catch? Id like to make sure I'm seeing the right one as ive forgotten about it.
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/cricket/ ... avciufvwoe

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Cant see the video on the first one but going by the image I see that as not out for the same reason I said the for the T20 catch, ball grounded with fingers behind the back of the ball then going into the hands. Both catches not out.

As for looking at back to the pavilion it is pretty clear that you can not do that for deciding a review and the umpire made it clear what Smith was doing was wrong.

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Wayne Kerr wrote:

case closed
Wrong in your opinion, right in many peoples opinions. Hence, NOT CLEAR.

The only opinion that matters, is that of the tv umpire, and he got it correct. Whomever says it was out is irrelevant.

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Cooper wrote:Anyone got a link to the contentious Smith catch? Id like to make sure I'm seeing the right one as ive forgotten about it.
“Everybody watching knows it's out, the player knows it's out but is there enough conclusive evidence to overturn? Can Aleem Dar say, ‘I’m 100 per cent that he’s caught that ball'?” Warne said.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Wayne Kerr wrote:
“Everybody watching knows it's out, the player knows it's out but is there enough conclusive evidence to overturn? Can Aleem Dar say, ‘I’m 100 per cent that he’s caught that ball'?” Warne said.
Did Warne say that about Roy’s?

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

The quick thought he had Moeen Ali out four balls later after the left hander edged a good length ball to Steve Smith at second slip, however in the end it was adjudicated to have touched the ground first.

After the decision was originally given not-out by umpire Marais Erasmus, the evidence proved inconclusive and third umpire Aleem Dar didn't overturn the decision.

Those in the Channel 9 commentary box believed Smith had taken the catch cleanly, but there wasn't enough evidence for Dar to send Ali on his way.

“If Steve Smith had just caught it clean, I reckon there wouldn’t have been a review,” former Australian captain turned commentator/shill for Big Air Conditioning Mark Taylor said.

“Marais Erasmus would have given it out and I think Moeen Ali would have walked off.

“The fact that it didn’t finish well brought about the doubt.”

Shane Warne agreed with his commentary box counterpart.

“I think there is a fraction of doubt. We're saying that [Smith caught the ball] because we're slippers and we know.

“You can understand Aleem Dar giving it not out but in reality, it's probably out. I reckon Steve Smith’s caught that.”

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

What's the law on catching in this situation? Can any part of the ball touch the ground? If fingers are on the ball is part of it allow to touch the ground?

My opinion is they are both failed catches as I think its clear the ball was touching the grass.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cooper wrote:What's the law on catching in this situation? Can any part of the ball touch the ground? If fingers are on the ball is part of it allow to touch the ground?

My opinion is they are both failed catches as I think its clear the ball was touching the grass.

Any part touches the ground then it’s not out. I think both of them have some doubt. As with the others, not enough evidence change the infield decision.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Cooper wrote:What's the law on catching in this situation? Can any part of the ball touch the ground? If fingers are on the ball is part of it allow to touch the ground?

Any part touches the ground then it’s not out. I think both of them have some doubt. As with the others, not enough evidence change the infield decision.
Agreed definitely doubt with both but have to go with the ruling at the time.