ODI's

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ODI's

Post by God is an Englishman »

Great start to them and what a knock by Jason Roy.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: ODI's

Post by Bomber »

Crowd got their money's worth, over 600 runs.

This bloke has struggled in BBL (supposedly, don't watch it much) but obvious question is what's he like at the long form of the game?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Crowd got their money's worth, over 600 runs.

This bloke has struggled in BBL (supposedly, don't watch it much) but obvious question is what's he like at the long form of the game?
Inconsistent.

Had his chance and failed a few times. Similar to Warner, when he fires he's quality but fails a few times too many.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:

Inconsistent.

Had his chance and failed a few times. Similar to Warner, when he fires he's quality but fails a few times too many.
So this dig was a fluke.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Inconsistent.

So this dig was a fluke.
No, definitely no but you were asking about his ability in the long form of the game. Very good player and I thought he deserved a spot in the test side but he has failed a bit recently. Scores a lot of runs in the shorter games though.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

England win again but the game will be remembered for the terrible third umpire decision with the Smith dismissal. How could they get it so wrong, it was clear to all watching that the ball deflected into the ground then back into the glove. They need to get rid of the soft call with these types of appeal/wickets

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Cooper wrote:England win again but the game will be remembered for the terrible third umpire decision with the Smith dismissal. How could they get it so wrong, it was clear to all watching that the ball deflected into the ground then back into the glove. They need to get rid of the soft call with these types of appeal/wickets
Yet if an Aussie did it, well, cheat this, cheat that.........
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cooper wrote:England win again but the game will be remembered for the terrible third umpire decision with the Smith dismissal. How could they get it so wrong, it was clear to all watching that the ball deflected into the ground then back into the glove. They need to get rid of the soft call with these types of appeal/wickets
It wasn't clear to all at all, fair catch. I don't remember smith saying anything about the soft dismissal when Broad was given out.

It may also be remembered for the allegation of ball tampering on smith as well.

Or maybe it will be remembered for such a slow over rate that Smith was fined and given a first warning.

Ot remembered for England winning the series.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

It wasn't clear to all at all, fair catch. I don't remember smith saying anything about the soft dismissal when Broad was given out.

It may also be remembered for the allegation of ball tampering on smith as well.

Or maybe it will be remembered for such a slow over rate that Smith was fined and given a first warning.

Ot remembered for England winning the series.
You can see in the slow mo that it hits the glove deflects into the ground and then back to the glove, blind Freddie could see that it was a dropped catch.

As for the other stuff I either don't care or don't know enough about it.

But yes England won the series with that game. Cant deny their dominance in the ODI's at the moment

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

No you can't. It's just like the Khawaja one, not enough evidence to overturn.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:No you can't. It's just like the Khawaja one, not enough evidence to overturn.
I think more pertinent is the fact that in both cases, the on field umpires gave it out albeit "softly". How they can give both out when the laws of the game generally say benefit of the doubt goes to batsman when to the human eye they wouldn't have had a clue. I reckon in each case they just went with the "confidence of appeal" as the default position, which to me is wrong. If you don't know for sure, then its not out. If you know for sure, then why call for a replay as they did to begin with?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:No you can't. It's just like the Khawaja one, not enough evidence to overturn.
I think more pertinent is the fact that in both cases, the on field umpires gave it out albeit "softly". How they can give both out when the laws of the game generally say benefit of the doubt goes to batsman when to the human eye they wouldn't have had a clue. I reckon in each case they just went with the "confidence of appeal" as the default position, which to me is wrong. If you don't know for sure, then its not out. If you know for sure, then why call for a replay as they did to begin with?
My opinion is that on both ocassions technology has not been able to prove either way. Had technology not been available then the same decision would have been made.

What you seem to be saying is akin to getting rid of umpires and using technology completely. Shall we get rid of all "umpires call" while we're at it?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:
My opinion is that on both ocassions technology has not been able to prove either way. Had technology not been available then the same decision would have been made.

What you seem to be saying is akin to getting rid of umpires and using technology completely. Shall we get rid of all "umpires call" while we're at it?
Quite the opposite really. Ditch technology and accept that umpires and players are all human and will make mistakes. Like football referees, I've always said I don't blame them for missing things, but I get pissed when they "see" something that never happened.

If technology must be used, then let the third umpire intervene on his own accord (no review request allowances etc etc) ONLY IF a clear 100% wrong decision has been made and it doesn't take 5 minutes of slow motion replays back and forth (suggesting enough doubt anyway).
Ignore this signature

Jørgen Inge Mykland
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Jørgen Inge Mykland »

Bomber wrote:How they can give both out when the laws of the game generally say benefit of the doubt goes to batsman
You assume the umpire was in doubt. Maybe they were sure of what they saw (whether it was right or wrong).

*I haven't seen either, just saying in the umpires' mind there probably was no doubt

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Jørgen Inge Mykland wrote:
Bomber wrote:How they can give both out when the laws of the game generally say benefit of the doubt goes to batsman
You assume the umpire was in doubt. Maybe they were sure of what they saw (whether it was right or wrong).

*I haven't seen either, just saying in the umpires' mind there probably was no doubt
If there was no doubt whatsoever, and no reviews left, then they should just say its out and be done with it. Players then must accept it and get on with it.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
Quite the opposite really. Ditch technology and accept that umpires and players are all human and will make mistakes. Like football referees, I've always said I don't blame them for missing things, but I get pissed when they "see" something that never happened.

If technology must be used, then let the third umpire intervene on his own accord (no review request allowances etc etc) ONLY IF a clear 100% wrong decision has been made and it doesn't take 5 minutes of slow motion replays back and forth (suggesting enough doubt anyway).
So in that case, Smith would have been out anyway. What are you whingeing about?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Can you also show me the law that says benefit of doubt to the batsmen?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:

So in that case, Smith would have been out anyway. What are you whingeing about?
Who's whingeing? Why didn't the finger go up straight away? I'll answer - he had no idea, hung around, looked confused, took soft option and called for replay and given Buttler's "I caught it" celebration gave it a "soft out".
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:Can you also show me the law that says benefit of doubt to the batsmen?
Its probably no law, but even you know about the spirit of the game and how its been umpired for 150 years. If you're uncertain about a wicket, then its not out, not "maybe out".
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:So in that case, Smith would have been out anyway. What are you whingeing about?
Who's whingeing? Why didn't the finger go up straight away? I'll answer - he had no idea, hung around, looked confused, took soft option and called for replay and given Buttler's "I caught it" celebration gave it a "soft out".[/quote]

Well what would you call what you are doing, still going on about a correct decision.

Well he did have an idea, that's why he gave the soft dismissal as out. Replays confirmed it. Pavillion's that way Smith, now shiraz off. Smith didn't seem to complain when Broad was given out the same way. Smith is in no position to complain after his antics recently.

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

We have finally beaten England in an ODI! - albeit at the U/19 World Cup

Defending 127, the Aussie leg-spinner took 8/35 to skittle the English for less than 100.
Lloyd Pope - remember the name!
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Replays did NOT confirm it.

Why didn't the finger go up straight away, even after a few seconds? That's what umpires usually do if they know a batsman is definitely out.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Replays did NOT confirm it.

Why didn't the finger go up straight away, even after a few seconds? That's what umpires usually do if they know a batsman is definitely out.

Because the umpires confer, together they discussed it and agreed they believed it to be out. However, to be sure it is then checked. Replays then did not show any proof to change that opinion. As you would know these days, umpires are frightened to make any decisions.

Did you complain like this when Broad was given out?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Because the umpires confer, together they discussed it and agreed they believed it to be out. However, to be sure it is then checked. Replays then did not show any proof to change that opinion. As you would know these days, umpires are frightened to make any decisions.

Why would I when I know you'd be on to it quicker than a fly on a newly laid cabernet?

Fact is, I didn't think he (Broad) should have been given out.

Maybe its like when footballers dive all the time - they get a legitimate foul against them so the ref waves play on based on history, even if its wrong. Sometimes they have to suck it up, which Smith (and Broad) eventually did. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

Whilst we're on it, do you think DRS and/or the use of technology as a whole has :
a) made umpires better
b) reduced controversy
c) enhanced the flow of the game
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Why would I when I know you'd be on to it quicker than a fly on a newly laid cabernet?

Maybe its like when footballers dive all the time - they get a legitimate foul against them so the ref waves play on based on history, even if its wrong. Sometimes they have to suck it up, which Smith (and Broad) eventually did. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

Whilst we're on it, do you think DRS and/or the use of technology as a whole has :
a) made umpires better
b) reduced controversy
I actually agree with you, it's strange when you're at the ground and you celebrate a wicket only to have it over turned. Get rid of it but allow the 3rd umpire to check if he feels it's relevant.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

a) made umpires better
b) reduced controversy
I actually agree with you, it's strange when you're at the ground and you celebrate a wicket only to have it over turned. Get rid of it but allow the 3rd umpire to check if he feels it's relevant.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Going tomorrow?

I'm watching from pub - no corporate box this time.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Going tomorrow?

Of course I am going.

Obviously, there's a fair few tickets going spare, they're even offering BOGOF tickets, that's how bad sales are. Adelaide Barmies meeting at 10am in the pub :-)

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Of course I am going.

Obviously, there's a fair few tickets going spare, they're even offering BOGOF tickets, that's how bad sales are. Adelaide Barmies meeting at 10am in the pub :-)
I hope you lot can hold your liquor and behave this time. :wink:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Of course I am going.

I hope you lot can hold your liquor and behave this time. :wink:
Got a spare members pass if you want it, real fans go to games.