The Ashes - 2017/2018

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: The Ashes - 2017/2018

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:Pick your team for first test?:

My team I'd opt for:

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Stoinis
Nevill
Starc
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon

12th: Behrendorff
You've only named 9 australians in the starting XI, surely that's an error.
Check their passports - am sure they'll be ok, especially as all bar Stoinis & Behrendorff have already a baggy green in the kit bag.
Ignore this signature

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

I guess it's ok now playing players born in other countries, now the aussies are doing it. What's the word I'm looking for? Hypocrisy,yes, that's it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Bomber wrote:
Bomber wrote:Pick your team for first test?:

My team I'd opt for:

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Stoinis
Nevill
Starc
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon

12th: Behrendorff
You've only named 9 australians in the starting XI, surely that's an error.
Check their passports - am sure they'll be ok, especially as all bar Stoinis & Behrendorff have already a baggy green in the kit bag.
Happy to concede that you haven't whinged like others.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

B.Toomer wrote:I guess it's ok now playing players born in other countries, now the aussies are doing it. What's the word I'm looking for? Hypocrisy,yes, that's it.
At least all our guys speak with an aussie accent, being brought up on an aussie lifestyle, unlike in your recent history with saffer twangs being the norm and relying on paperwork and distant ancestry solely to represent your mob. :P
Ignore this signature

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Over 28% of "your" sports stars were born overseas. Where's the Paki spinner who was fast tracked through citizenship a year or so back? The joke was on you, as he turned out to be a dud. Kostya Tszyu was suddenly an " Aussie ", could hardly utter a word of English, but that was O.K. For 16 years, we were well beaten by once in a lifetime Aussie cricket teams, and fair enough, we were poor during that time, but as soon as we won the ashes back, out comes the Saffer accusations. There's the hypocrisy. You have been doing it for years & still do.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
B.Toomer wrote:I guess it's ok now playing players born in other countries, now the aussies are doing it. What's the word I'm looking for? Hypocrisy,yes, that's it.
At least all our guys speak with an aussie accent, being brought up on an aussie lifestyle, unlike in your recent history with saffer twangs being the norm and relying on paperwork and distant ancestry solely to represent your mob. :P
Haha laughable.

Why don't you pick chris cairns or daniel vettori then?

Khawaja and renshaw being aussie. Haha.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Number of test crickers born overseas .

England : 106 .

Australia : 25 .

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

As per usual, you've missed the point, the point being the hypocrisy.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

B.Toomer wrote:As per usual, you've missed the point, the point being the hypocrisy.
No.

Once upon a time you could have a larf with the poms and give a little dig at their poor sporting form and reliance on the "foreigners" trying to help them out. Nothing more, nothing less. Now anyone has a little dig and you get all antsy about it and look for any little thing that can be construed as "oh but you lot did this, you lot do that, waa waa waa.

Sense of humour is being lost on you lot which is a shame as you had the best once upon a time. :P
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

aussies don't have a sense of humour

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:aussies don't have a sense of humour
My point proven - you're too oblivious to simple banter these days. Aussies are just nasty bully boys these days, hey. WE DONT CARE! :P
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
My point proven - you're too oblivious to simple banter these days. Aussies are just nasty bully boys these days, hey. WE DONT CARE! :P
These days, 15 years I've been here. Aussies have always been good at dishing out "banter" but crap at getting it back.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:
These days, 15 years I've been here. Aussies have always been good at dishing out "banter" but crap at getting it back.
Well this forum isn't much of an example of that.
Ignore this signature

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Same old aussies, they can dish it out, but don't like back. That's why you are known the world over as poor losers/ poor winners.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

B.Toomer wrote:Same old aussies, they can dish it out, but don't like back. That's why you are known the world over as poor losers/ poor winners.
If that's your description, then you are more Aussie than you admit to being. Funny, innit?
Ignore this signature

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

The truth hurting you?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

B.Toomer wrote:The truth hurting you?
You're the only one who sounds hurt around here with all your whingeing
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Highlighting hypocrisy isn't whingeing. Then again, you aussies are the experts at both of them.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:

Highlighting hypocrisy isn't whingeing. Then again, you aussies are the experts at both of them.
Another illustration of what I said earlier - lost the art of having a larf about a moot subject - no-one gives a stuff about nationality as at the end of the day, I barrack for Australia, you barrack for England and the rest is just banter. We laugh at you playing saffers, you laugh at us playing Pakistanis or whatever. Banter! Live with it or try and rediscover that thing you poms call a sense of humour. :P
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Another illustration of what I said earlier - lost the art of having a larf about a moot subject - no-one gives a stuff about nationality as at the end of the day, I barrack for Australia, you barrack for England and the rest is just banter. We laugh at you playing saffers, you laugh at us playing Pakistanis or whatever. Banter! Live with it or try and rediscover that thing you poms call a sense of humour. :P
If you think that's humourous, that just proves what I have said all along.

Can you name me 2 funny aussies? I'll give you Brett Lee, I mean it's funny that he thought he bowled with a straight arm.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:Another illustration of what I said earlier - lost the art of having a larf about a moot subject - no-one gives a stuff about nationality as at the end of the day, I barrack for Australia, you barrack for England and the rest is just banter. We laugh at you playing saffers, you laugh at us playing Pakistanis or whatever. Banter! Live with it or try and rediscover that thing you poms call a sense of humour. :P
If you think that's humourous, that just proves what I have said all along.

Can you name me 2 funny aussies? I'll give you Brett Lee, I mean it's funny that he thought he bowled with a straight arm.
banter = light humour.

I guess you're admitting you get antsy if we say something at the pub like you're no 3 is a saffer (for example) - proven!

Funny Aussies? I'll go with Heath Franklin and Pauline Hanson albeit for slightly different reasons.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:banter = light humour.

I guess you're admitting you get antsy if we say something at the pub like you're no 3 is a saffer (for example) - proven!

Funny Aussies? I'll go with Heath Franklin and Pauline Hanson albeit for slightly different reasons.
No, I point out the fact that our number 3 was born in England, to English parents. So, how can he be a saffer. South Cambridge maybe but not south african.

Sorry, zero points for your two suggestions. Mild amusing and a political raising SOME important issues.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

No, I point out the fact that our number 3 was born in England, to English parents. So, how can he be a saffer. South Cambridge maybe but not south african.

Sorry, zero points for your two suggestions. Mild amusing and a political raising SOME important issues.
Maybe its because he pokes fun at poms sometimes, explains your stance there. As for Pauline, she is funny - some of the things she says are hilarious - more so in the fact she is serious when she says them.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Maybe its because he pokes fun at poms sometimes, explains your stance there. As for Pauline, she is funny - some of the things she says are hilarious - more so in the fact she is serious when she says them.
Never heard him say anything about them, apart from in one clip he talked about being robed in salford. Nothing new there, everyone is robbed in salford.

Hanson - nothing she says is funny. It's more concerning than funny.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

The queen skit? Oops, that would probably touch a nerve. Pauline is only of concern if she gets voted in as leader of the country. Till then, she is a clown and someone not to be taken too seriously - bit like grosso.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:The queen skit? Oops, that would probably touch a nerve. Pauline is only of concern if she gets voted in as leader of the country. Till then, she is a clown and someone not to be taken too seriously - bit like grosso.
Not see the Queen one. I'll look it up. I tried to watch his stand up on Netflix and switched off after 30 minutes as he wasn't funny.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:The queen skit? Oops, that would probably touch a nerve. Pauline is only of concern if she gets voted in as leader of the country. Till then, she is a clown and someone not to be taken too seriously - bit like grosso.
Not see the Queen one. I'll look it up. I tried to watch his stand up on Netflix and switched off after 30 minutes as he wasn't funny.
After 30 minutes? I can usually work out in 3 minutes if someone is funny or not. Each their own. The queen one - look up Chopper - am sure you wont find it "amusing" enough though, given your one-eyed-ness towards her.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
After 30 minutes? I can usually work out in 3 minutes if someone is funny or not. Each their own. The queen one - look up Chopper - am sure you wont find it "amusing" enough though, given your one-eyed-ness towards her.
I'm thinking of another aussie comedian, not that one - Jeffries.

It takes more than 3 minutes, I'm sure there's 3 minutes of Jimmy Carr not being funny and he's probably the funniest guy on the planet at the moment.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Steven Wright for me. Dry and very clever.

Then the late Groucho Marx and Rodney Dangerfield, purely for the one-liners.

Oddly enough, all yanks (more or less)!

Best comedies on TV, by and large, the English comedies, I'll give you them.
Ignore this signature

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Saw Bob Monkhouse more or less by accident at some do years ago. Funniest guy I've ever seen, cracked me up.

michael clarke always came across as a wee bit funny