Mooy signs for Huddersfield - Record Fee

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Mooy signs for Huddersfield - Record Fee

Post by Old Master »

Aaron Mooy: Huddersfield Town agree club-record £10m fee with Man City

By Simon Stone BBC Sport

Aaron Mooy played in all but one of Huddersfield's league games in 2016-17

Premier League newcomers Huddersfield Town have agreed a club-record £10m fee for Manchester City's Australia midfielder Aaron Mooy.

Mooy, 26, spent last season on loan at Huddersfield and played in their play-off final win over Reading, which secured them a place in the top flight.

It is thought the fee will be made up of an £8m initial payment, plus a further £2m in add-ons.

There are also buy-back and sell-on clauses included in the deal.

Mooy joined City from Australian club Melbourne City 12 months ago on a three-year contract.

He has not made a senior appearance for Pep Guardiola's side.

I was hoping he would be given a chance at Man City but at least they have added a 'Buy-Back' clause in the deal. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Re: Mooy signs for Huddersfield - Record Fee

Post by swannsong »

As I said on other media "Brilliant business by Huddersfield Town...borrow a player for a year, helps them earn £150 million then buy him with 7% of the prize money." :D
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

swannsong wrote:As I said on other media "Brilliant business by Huddersfield Town...borrow a player for a year, helps them earn £150 million then buy him with 7% of the prize money." :D
Brilliant business by Man City. Make $16 million on a $0 investment on a dud.
The player wont succeed in the premier league.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Grosso wrote:
swannsong wrote:As I said on other media "Brilliant business by Huddersfield Town...borrow a player for a year, helps them earn £150 million then buy him with 7% of the prize money." :D
OK.

PS. What is the definition of 'succeeding' in the Premier League ?
I think he and Huddersfield just getting there was a huge success..£150 million, and if they don't survive relegation they get another £95 million...
For a small Club (Huddersfield population of 160,000) that's a decent effort... if Aaron gets plenty of game time he can only improve I would have thought.
Time will tell either way..

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

swannsong wrote:
Grosso wrote:
OK.

PS. What is the definition of 'succeeding' in the Premier League ?
I think he and Huddersfield just getting there was a huge success..£150 million, and if they don't survive relegation they get another £95 million...
For a small Club (Huddersfield population of 160,000) that's a decent effort... if Aaron gets plenty of game time he can only improve I would have thought.
Time will tell either way..
If they stay up he will not get much game time. Their success doesnt hinge on Mooy.
They have a competent manager who got the best out of the squad in the Championship. Good luck to them, however Mooy is not a premier league standard player.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Grosso wrote: If they stay up he will not get much game time. Their success doesnt hinge on Mooy.
They have a competent manager who got the best out of the squad in the Championship. Good luck to them, however Mooy is not a premier league standard player.
OK...I'll message the Club and let them know...thanks for the heads up :)

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

swannsong wrote:
Grosso wrote: If they stay up he will not get much game time. Their success doesnt hinge on Mooy.
It was a bad move by them.
Man City have been talking him up for months pretending they were going to promote him to their squad just to raise his asking price.
Huddersfield fell for it :lol:

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Grosso wrote:
swannsong wrote:
It was a bad move by them.
Man City have been talking him up for months pretending they were going to promote him to their squad just to raise his asking price.
Huddersfield fell for it :lol:
It used a bit amusing reading some of your comments but over time you've become a self parody and are now bordering on the totally irrelavent
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

swannsong wrote:
Don't waste your time with him Swannee , he either just trolls or laughs at what he thinks are jokes.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:I was hoping he would be given a chance at Man City but at least they have added a 'Buy-Back' clause in the deal. OM[/b]
He was never going to get near the Man City side, well aside from a League Cup fixture when they send the reserves out.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Give him time. If he tore up the Championship like people have said, it only stands to reason he will be given the chance to test against Premier League sides. Be interesting to see how he goes when playing against Man City. Bottom line, we need more playing at higher level because the current Australian squad, apart from a few, aren't exactly playing in "high" level leagues.
Ignore this signature

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

In time Grosso will again be proven right and you all will deny it.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Once again, thanks for your input Mad_Mäx.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso wrote:In time Grosso will again be proven right and you all will deny it.
What's this "again" business?
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Bomber wrote:
Grosso wrote:In time Grosso will again be proven right and you all will deny it.

He's definitely lost it now. :shock:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Bomber wrote:
...and again you will all deny it :lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso wrote:
Bomber wrote:
...and again you will all deny it :lol:
Again??
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

I have just heard that having viewed this discussion the Huddersfield recruitment team are going to PM Grosso, so he can review all their potential transfer targets.

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

ozzie owl wrote:I have just heard that having viewed this discussion the Huddersfield recruitment team are going to PM Grosso, so he can review all their potential transfer targets.
May as well shut down the forum then if only professional recruitment managers are allowed to comment on recruitment.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Mooy is an average to decent player on a good day (nothing more and nothing less) and good on him for securing a lucrative deal. That said (hate to say it) Grosso does have some credibility here- have I lost my mind? :shock: Mooy will be a bit part player in the EPL and I would be very surprised if he makes much of an impact . The only Australian player at the minute that would make the move comfortably IMO would be Rogic but hoping that won't happen for a long time.

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

swannsong wrote:Once again, thanks for your input Mad_Mäx.
:lol:
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

thebeautifulgame wrote:Mooy is an average to decent player on a good day (nothing more and nothing less) and good on him for securing a lucrative deal. That said (hate to say it) Grosso does have some credibility here- have I lost my mind? :shock: Mooy will be a bit part player in the EPL and I would be very surprised if he makes much of an impact . The only Australian player at the minute that would make the move comfortably IMO would be Rogic but hoping that won't happen for a long time.

Just as well you don't advise the Huddersfield coach, Wagner, as he would laugh you out the door.

And given his experience as a coach, I would applaud him all the way. :lol:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:Mooy is an average to decent player on a good day (nothing more and nothing less) and good on him for securing a lucrative deal. That said (hate to say it) Grosso does have some credibility here- have I lost my mind? :shock: Mooy will be a bit part player in the EPL and I would be very surprised if he makes much of an impact . The only Australian player at the minute that would make the move comfortably IMO would be Rogic but hoping that won't happen for a long time.

Just as well you don't advise the Huddersfield coach, Wagner, as he would laugh you out the door.

So you think Mooy is going to set the premiership alight?

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Old Master wrote:

Dear OM, I am merely giving my personal opinion on a player I feel has done very well getting to this level in professional football, given his limited talent. If I am wrong and he succeeds then good on him and I wish him all the best. I am not in the business of advising any professional football coach as they get well paid to do their job and Wagner is entitled to spend his transfer money as he sees fit as he has earned the right to do so. If I was in a position to advise Wagner I could think of better players but they would cost a lot more than 10 million!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Huddersfield have just signed 28 year old FC Porto striker Laurent Depoitre....David Wagner just awaiting Grosso (a.k.a. Mad_Mäx)'s opinion before they can seal the deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqD2hs-4AjM

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
Old Master wrote:

Dear OM, I am merely giving my personal opinion on a player I feel has done very well getting to this level in professional football, given his limited talent. If I am wrong and he succeeds then good on him and I wish him all the best. I am not in the business of advising any professional football coach as they get well paid to do their job and Wagner is entitled to spend his transfer money as he sees fit as he has earned the right to do so. If I was in a position to advise Wagner I could think of better players but they would cost a lot more than 10 million!

I too can think of better players than Mooy but none that Huddersfield or most of the EPL could ever afford.

He didn't perform very well, imo, in the ConFed but I think it was more down to where he was playing than any lack of ability.

I believe Mooy will be a success in the EPL, not a 'Superstar' but a seriously good player.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

Old Master wrote: I too can think of better players than Mooy but none that Huddersfield or most of the EPL could ever afford.
What are you on about? :lol:

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

swannsong wrote:Huddersfield have just signed 28 year old FC Porto striker Laurent Depoitre....David Wagner just awaiting Grosso (a.k.a. Mad_Mäx)'s opinion before they can seal the deal.

Dunno about grosso but hopefully in a couple of years herr wagner will be awaiting the opinion of the immigration minister on why foreign journeyman hacks like this should be getting a visa and employment priorities over English kids

Grosso
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso »

swannsong wrote:Huddersfield have just signed 28 year old FC Porto striker Laurent Depoitre....David Wagner just awaiting Grosso (a.k.a. Mad_Mäx)'s opinion before they can seal the deal.

Why dont you provide your own opinion?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Grosso wrote:

Why dont you provide your own opinion?
Ask me at the end of the season as I try not to prejudge....I don't know how Wagner will use him, what his attitude is like, how long he will last etc..... I don't go to a restaurant and judge the cook until after I've ordered and tasted my meal.