Get rid of JSL

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

WAWAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Get rid of JSL

Post by WAWAW »

That's it Geoff...... well said.
Kids won't improve if the coach isn't up to it.
#mylipsaresealed

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

geoff9559 wrote:
Bomber wrote:Why on the one hand is it development the most important thing, yet on the other hand people moaning about blow-out scores?

This has been happening since the dawn of the game and the critical point that many seem to miss is that part of development is knowing how to accept a heavy defeat, learn from it and improve.

When young, I think it was U/12's, I was a player on the end of a 13-0 beating at Birkalla. Not much fun but was in awe how they moved the ball about etc etc. We trained harder and harder and next time we played them, we lost 4-3 and even their players, coach etc remarked how well we improved and that they had their full side etc. We treated the loss almost as though we had won, and I even put my hand up for missing a sitter in the dying stages to make it 4-4, but no-one arked up and we got simply got better and better, so much that the following season, apart from maybe 3 players, otherwise the same side ended up winning the league and cup double, with only one loss in the season. From memory at least 5 players went on to play regular senior football at the club, and at least one played NSL.

The point being, is you can give up, point fingers, blame all and sundry if and when you are getting pumped, but true character is all about how you rise, overcome and learn.
Bomber.....love your reply but from what you are saying is that you got beaten by a team and used that to push yourself and your team to better results. Or are you saying that as a kid your team was beaten but through your determination and that of your teammates AND the work that your coach put in towards improving the team worked. As i stated we have parents who are coaches with the possibility of no real playing experience... training check great but strategically and tactically arent up to speed in a match. So if a coach has no idea how or what to train the kids on then they will not improve significantly. If you have a good coach with good training ideas plus a group of kids who are determined then you could improve. But if a club doesn't provide said experienced coach then they wont improve and eventually this will end up as compounding and them not being good for seniors....they dont possess the right building blocks or have acquired game skills. Cheers geoff9559
whats the solution to the coaching problem? A big lack of ex-professionals looking to coach for no money. Most of the old NPL players coach at schools. There's a big difference between spending 2 hours a week coaching school kids than doing four days a week at a club.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

And the more teams, the less quality coaches there are to spread about. I understand that and its why we try and scrutinise as best we can, but sometimes you can only make do with what's available and hope that the following season things will be better. End of the day, parents pretty much decide where their kids play and if the coaching isn't up to scratch, then two choices - approach club and voice your concerns but at least back up the issue with facts, not just "they are getting smashed" or change clubs.
Ignore this signature

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

There are some very experienced ex-players who have some serious knowledge out there and could be or have been exceptional coaches but ....and its a big but havent the (its not inclination but on that line ) or dont feel that they have or should go through the Ffsa hoops for getting a rubber stamp which allows them to coach when in fact they have better real experience than those training them in the course. I know the above doesnt read or sound all that well.....an example is that around the corner from us is an ex tottenham player, he'd coach but he's old and doesnt really see the need to front up to a coaching course where he's not really going to learn much in his opinion.....but we have a system that any bunny can pay $1800 and spend 4 days at a course to have a C Licence....and coach. ...so long as they "pass" then they are a qualified coach but might have buggerxall knowledge ....this tottenham guy was watching games and providing advice which was much better for the newly minted coach than what they learnt from the ffsa teachers. But he cant coach in South Australia as he cant be arsed to attend or pay money to possibly learn not much. There stands the issue we could have exceptional coaches for kids who could pass on their experiences but now we have a system which requires a person to fork out a small fortune to possibly learn not much to then coach for nothing or a small amount for the love of the game. Plus they get grief from parents whose kid is a 'star'.....why do it? That is the problem trying to get experienced ex players to go through the beauracy's hoops so as to coach kids for free.....doesn't happen in adelaide much. Cheers geoffp

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

geoff9559 wrote:There are some very experienced ex-players who have some serious knowledge out there and could be or have been exceptional coaches but ....and its a big but havent the (its not inclination but on that line ) or dont feel that they have or should go through the Ffsa hoops for getting a rubber stamp which allows them to coach when in fact they have better real experience than those training them in the course. I know the above doesnt read or sound all that well.....an example is that around the corner from us is an ex tottenham player, he'd coach but he's old and doesnt really see the need to front up to a coaching course where he's not really going to learn much in his opinion.....but we have a system that any bunny can pay $1800 and spend 4 days at a course to have a C Licence....and coach. ...so long as they "pass" then they are a qualified coach but might have buggerxall knowledge ....this tottenham guy was watching games and providing advice which was much better for the newly minted coach than what they learnt from the ffsa teachers. But he cant coach in South Australia as he cant be arsed to attend or pay money to possibly learn not much. There stands the issue we could have exceptional coaches for kids who could pass on their experiences but now we have a system which requires a person to fork out a small fortune to possibly learn not much to then coach for nothing or a small amount for the love of the game. Plus they get grief from parents whose kid is a 'star'.....why do it? That is the problem trying to get experienced ex players to go through the beauracy's hoops so as to coach kids for free.....doesn't happen in adelaide much. Cheers geoffp
In the case of FFSA coaching accreditations, "mandatory" doesn't actually mean "mandatory"

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

geoff9559 wrote:There are some very experienced ex-players who have some serious knowledge out there and could be or have been exceptional coaches but ....and its a big but havent the (its not inclination but on that line ) or dont feel that they have or should go through the Ffsa hoops for getting a rubber stamp which allows them to coach when in fact they have better real experience than those training them in the course. I know the above doesnt read or sound all that well.....an example is that around the corner from us is an ex tottenham player, he'd coach but he's old and doesnt really see the need to front up to a coaching course where he's not really going to learn much in his opinion.....but we have a system that any bunny can pay $1800 and spend 4 days at a course to have a C Licence....and coach. ...so long as they "pass" then they are a qualified coach but might have buggerxall knowledge ....this tottenham guy was watching games and providing advice which was much better for the newly minted coach than what they learnt from the ffsa teachers. But he cant coach in South Australia as he cant be arsed to attend or pay money to possibly learn not much. There stands the issue we could have exceptional coaches for kids who could pass on their experiences but now we have a system which requires a person to fork out a small fortune to possibly learn not much to then coach for nothing or a small amount for the love of the game. Plus they get grief from parents whose kid is a 'star'.....why do it? That is the problem trying to get experienced ex players to go through the beauracy's hoops so as to coach kids for free.....doesn't happen in adelaide much. Cheers geoffp
Well said. The expectation that individuals are going to invest $1800 and take several days off work to study theory and participate in practical sessions just so they can 'volunteer' their time at a local junior football club is laughable. And while some clubs can afford to put their junior coaches through these courses, many clubs simply cannot.

Sonic
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Sonic »

Worse still.......I forked out the $1800 only to be told 2 weeks before the course the FFA couldnt be bothered running it, and if I wanted to do it Id have to travel interstate to attend.

Penalty Rates
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Penalty Rates »

Did they refund your $1800?
I love bank holidays

James007
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by James007 »

Has anyone seen the result in the JPL 12S?
Big scores aren't just happening in the JSL league

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

James007 wrote:Has anyone seen the result in the JPL 12S?
Yes you're right. e.g. Metro 20 White City 0 on 12/4

Both JPL and JSL have to be combined and graded properly for as even a competition as possible. It may take a few years for the balancing out to occur.

Then maybe kids wouldn't all join the big clubs and cause these blowout margins. It helps no one.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

fball12 wrote:

Both JPL and JSL have to be combined and graded properly for as even a competition as possible. It may take a few years for the balancing out to occur.

Then maybe kids wouldn't all join the big clubs and cause these blowout margins. It helps no one.
Not sure that will work. The idea of the JPL league is to ensure the full paying clubs (those with Seniors in the FFSA competitions) have junior teams in the premier competition. What will happen is that the smaller clubs will end up in division F while the larger clubs second and third teams move into the B and C leagues. The bigger clubs will get bigger and the smaller clubs smaller.

James007
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by James007 »

magnet wrote:
fball12 wrote:

Not sure that will work. The idea of the JPL league is to ensure the full paying clubs (those with Seniors in the FFSA competitions) have junior teams in the premier competition. What will happen is that the smaller clubs will end up in division F while the larger clubs second and third teams move into the B and C leagues. The bigger clubs will get bigger and the smaller clubs smaller.

There are no easy solutions!

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

magnet wrote:
fball12 wrote:

I believe it should become one premier competition and not just to the preference of the Seniors in the FFSA competition. It should be based on merit (performance, ability) to even out the competition and avoid blow out margins as much as possible.

It may take a few years for the balancing out to occur and hopefully more kids will stay at their original clubs and not all drift to the big clubs. The big clubs in some cases don't have the grounds to accommodate more kids.

The advantages of one Junior League, properly administered, outweigh the disadvantages by a long way.

Sonic
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Sonic »

Penalty Rates wrote:Did they refund your $1800?

Yes they did (well $1430 of it) the other 460 was for part a of c license, which I only did part 1 as a pre requirement of the level 1 goalkeeping course I was doing. Hopefully I can use that payment towards a c license later. But I didnt want the money back - I want the qualification. So now to get the qualification I will need to travel interstate, get accomodation/food/car hire etc to do the course - that 1430 will quickly blow out to closer to 3k.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

Sonic wrote:
Penalty Rates wrote:Did they refund your $1800?

Yes they did (well $1430 of it) the other 460 was for part a of c license, which I only did part 1 as a pre requirement of the level 1 goalkeeping course I was doing. Hopefully I can use that payment towards a c license later. But I didnt want the money back - I want the qualification. So now to get the qualification I will need to travel interstate, get accomodation/food/car hire etc to do the course - that 1430 will quickly blow out to closer to 3k.
Sonic......soŕry to hear that......so FFSA cant even get enough participants to run the course in this State.....that doesnt bode well. I guess it is what someone else alluded to in that some people are coaching without the appropriate qualification........