Hot Weather policy

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Hot Weather policy

Post by Stich This »

Up to under 17s, (i.e. Junior comps), there are certain temperature thresholds.
These are different for seniors.

My question is this:
If a 15 or 16 y.o. (I.e. Junior age) gets promoted to seniors etc, does the 'senior' temperature or junior rules apply to that player when playing 'up'?

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Hot Weather policy

Post by matty2323 »

Vardy wrote:Up to under 17s, (i.e. Junior comps), there are certain temperature thresholds.

My question is this:
If a 15 or 16 y.o. (I.e. Junior age) gets promoted to seniors etc, does the 'senior' temperature or junior rules apply to that player when playing 'up'?
My understanding is it is the team they're registered for:

"4.2 - A junior player is classified as any player that participates in the Junior Age Competitions."

So if they're playing in seniors and are participating in senior training/games, i imagine they come under the senior guidelines for the hot weather policy.

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Slide Tackle »

What about if forecast says in morning its going to be 36, but does not reach that temperature, should training still be cancelled?

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

matty2323 wrote:
Vardy wrote:Up to under 17s, (i.e. Junior comps), there are certain temperature thresholds.

My question is this:

"4.2 - A junior player is classified as any player that participates in the Junior Age Competitions."

So if they're playing in seniors and are participating in senior training/games, i imagine they come under the senior guidelines for the hot weather policy.
Thanks Matt.
Under 4.2, if the player also participates in the junior age competition, does that classify him as a junior player- even if he also plays in the senior competition?

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Vardy wrote:
matty2323 wrote:

My question is this:

Thanks Matt.
Under 4.2, if the player also participates in the junior age competition, does that classify him as a junior player- even if he also plays in the senior competition?
When you play Juniors, you are a junior
When you play Seniors, you are a senior.

It's not hard.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Maybe it's not that hard.
Hypothetical:

15yo playing / training under 16s.
Following week he's asked to train/play under 18.
On this occasion, temp is 37 - but he is required to train for 18s.
Suffers heatstroke etc - is this a legal issue, given that he's only junior aged.
i.e. Does the club owe a duty of care to the 15 yo, notwithstanding that he's playing under 18s?

In terms of safety, is the boy's age relevant , or does his playing ability absolve him of heat risk?

Apologies to those having difficulty comprehending the issue.

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

Vardy wrote:Maybe it's not that hard.
Hypothetical:

Suffers heatstroke etc - is this a legal issue, given that he's only junior aged.
i.e. Does the club owe a duty of care to the 15 yo, notwithstanding that he's playing under 18s?

In terms of safety, is the boy's age relevant , or does his playing ability absolve him of heat risk?

If in doubt, don't allow your son to play. Prepubescent children are more susceptible to heat induced illness and should not be treated the same as an adult player.

Even more concerning, asthmatics and diabetics are at greater risk of heat related illness and I wonder how many club coaches are fully aware of pre existing medical conditions of those players who move across more than one team, and make necessary allowances for them when training or playing in high temperatures.

jimmy2014
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by jimmy2014 »

themessenger wrote:
Hypothetical:

If in doubt, don't allow your son to play. Prepubescent children are more susceptible to heat induced illness and should not be treated the same as an adult player.

Even more concerning, asthmatics and diabetics are at greater risk of heat related illness and I wonder how many club coaches are fully aware of pre existing medical conditions of those players who move across more than one team, and make necessary allowances for them when training or playing in high temperatures.
Bravo!
Yes, parents should act like parents.
Not sure if that abrogates enough responsibility for Vardy though.

Nordland Fylke
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Nordland Fylke »

Parents acting more like parents... there should me more of this in general.
FM radio is being phased out

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Hypothetical:

Wouldn't the Under 18's be juniors anyway, they're still kids.

Either way, juniors are junior if they're playing juniors. If they are going to play in senior teams then they should be treated just like any other senior player.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Stich This wrote:Maybe it's not that hard.
Hypothetical:

Again, it depends what team he is registered for. If he registered for the club as an U16 player, but was then training with the U18s, he would still come under the junior banner. Atleast, this is my understanding of the rule. Its not necessarily which team he is training with on the night, but which team he is registered too. My team has alot of U16 eligible players in it, and the U16 team also trains with us, but we cancel the U16s training with us if the weather is predicted to be 36 or above in accordance wth the junior hot weather policy. The only time this may differ is if they're selected to play with the U18s, then as they're on an U18 match card, for that day they fall under the senior hot weather policy.

Regardless of the hot weather policy, i think every coach needs to take into consideration the well being of his players, regardless of age. We may still train in the hotter weather, but training levels and times are reduced, drinks breaks are increased and players are encouraged to step aside and rest if they're feeling affected by the heat. You need to be very vigilant as well as some kids lack the maturity or understanding involved with heat stroke. I know people talk about parents being parents, but a certain level of trust and responsibility falls on the coach during training hours. We need to provide safe environments. During that 90 minutes, we're responsible for their well being.

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

:D
Last edited by Mrs Red on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Kids these days are just weak, I never once had a training session called off when I was a kid because it was too hot. Frozen pitches yes, but never too hot. :D

Black Panther
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Black Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote:Kids these days are just weak, I never once had a training session called off when I was a kid because it was too hot. Frozen pitches yes, but never too hot. :D
:lol:
El Paso del Norte wrote:I have the opposite problem, mine is so small you can't see it!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

A junior is a player that participates in the Junior Age Competitions
To me that says that if you are still playing in the Under 16's then you can't train above 36. Even if with the Under 18's.

Which pretty much sounds like what Matty78978974564321321547687 said.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

lots of postponed games this weekend now that the temp is forecast 33 on Sunday.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

magnet wrote:lots of postponed games this weekend now that the temp is forecast 33 on Sunday.
This is exactly why football is a Saturday sport.

:wink:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Slinky_Pete wrote:
magnet wrote:lots of postponed games this weekend now that the temp is forecast 33 on Sunday.
This is exactly why football is a Saturday sport.

:wink:
Why can't it be both?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Lots postponed anyway, well, those supposed to be playing against Greek clubs.
Ignore this signature

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Bomber wrote:
Lots postponed anyway, well, those supposed to be playing against Greek clubs.
We were playing Comets and was going to go ahead until the bloody weather intervened. Shouldn't be 33 degrees in April FFS
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Slide Tackle »

Only games that kick off at 8.45am will be played

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Tonights fixtures (bar two) are off.

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Slide Tackle »

magnet wrote:Tonights fixtures (bar two) are off.
Unbelievable, 8pm fixtures should still be played, temp would of dropped low to mid 20s by then.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Slide Tackle wrote:
magnet wrote:Tonights fixtures (bar two) are off.
Unbelievable, 8pm fixtures should still be played, temp would of dropped low to mid 20s by then.
agree

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

We have had some really good weather recently but today hasn't been good - strong hot winds from the north bringing in a lot of dust.