Information on the WNPL

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

WPLFAN
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Information on the WNPL

Post by WPLFAN »

We get a few comments on this forum about unsubstantiated gossip etc.

As a fan of the WNPL and a follower or the womens game in general, I am frustrated at the total lack of information out there about the competition, clubs and teams.
Would it be so hard for FFSA or the clubs (or both) to provide the supporters with some information about the competition, especially between seasons. With Facebook, twitter etc this would be so easy and cheap.

At the moment only info is gossip.

God Tongue
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Information on the WNPL

Post by God Tongue »

Without gossip this forum would be dead.
English is weird. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

FFSA announced their will be some double headers with Men's NPL clubs in 2017.

the barbarian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by the barbarian »

when did they announce this? if they did so and have a 10 team comp as it is rumoured then they would need at least 1 double headers each week to put all games in at the parks or the shores.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Draft fixture lists have been sent out, so anyone who has seen one, Barbarian, can tell you how many teams are in the competition. (I have not seen the draft fixtures) I suspect it is still 8. And Michael Carter announced the double headers during a radio interview earlier this week. They will be amongst wnpl teams who are from clubs with NPL sides, it would appear. WA, City and Campbelltown. The women will play curtain-raisers for the men's teams. That's what I've heard anyway. The official fixtures were supposed to be out yesterday according to FFSA instagram post on Tuesday. So any day now I guess.

Stay tuned.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

if the gossip is true that draft has the WNPL starting first week in March, is that really fair on all the WNPL clubs ?

why so early, with 21 rounds that will have the season finishing about beginning of August ? There would be quite a few still have summer sporting commitments.

doesn't make sense.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

I thought I heard starting early had something to do with the mens fixtures with their cup or final series.

wonder if it has anything to do with the W league starting earlier, or our team coming together earlier

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

With the Lady Reds doing so well, is it time for the ffsa and all the clubs work together to ensure we have a strong, competitive and even competition ?

I am referring to the W League players who may be staying in Adelaide and maybe are being enticed to play in our WNPL competition.

For the competition to grow and prosper, the W League players should be evenly distributed among the clubs, so we have an even competition where players have to perform at their best each week, not have one sided matches as in past seasons.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

The General wrote:With the Lady Reds doing so well, is it time for the ffsa and all the clubs work together to ensure we have a strong, competitive and even competition ?

I am referring to the W League players who may be staying in Adelaide and maybe are being enticed to play in our WNPL competition.

For the competition to grow and prosper, the W League players should be evenly distributed among the clubs, so we have an even competition where players have to perform at their best each week, not have one sided matches as in past seasons.
There is a points system and quota in place.

MuddySocks
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MuddySocks »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
The General wrote:With the Lady Reds doing so well, is it time for the ffsa and all the clubs work together to ensure we have a strong, competitive and even competition ?

Are you sure about that? I've heard about small groups of the AU squad going to two different clubs in particular, mainly being Adelaide City and West Adelaide... so what will happen there?

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

MuddySocks wrote:
Lucas Leiva wrote:

Are you sure about that? I've heard about small groups of the AU squad going to two different clubs in particular, mainly being Adelaide City and West Adelaide... so what will happen there?
If they can make it work with the PPS, then that's their prerogative. However they'll need to have been close to finalising this, I've been told the time to submit player rosters is ending this week.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I'm fairly positive that the three player rule is still in place, whether or not the player points system is operational yet. And to my knowledge, no club is planning to have more than three players who were contracted to United this past season. As for players who have been contracted in the past and weren't this season (Peat, Gray, Powell, Steer etc...), they don't count towards the three players that each club is allowed.

And really, how many W-League players are we talking about? Two of the local girls are still NTC eligible- The internationals will probably go home, I would think. So that's four more. Only two from interstate- maybe they'll stick around and play locally (?). So that leaves 12 contracted local (homegrown) players, spread over 8 clubs...Even if you spread those 12 players over 5 clubs, there's room to spare.