SAASL / FED ????

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Filbert Fox
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

SAASL / FED ????

Post by Filbert Fox »

I have always stayed out of the Federation/Amateur debate but.....Can someone tell me why its a big no no that Fed and amateur clubs can't compete against each other?.
Being a pome and having spent all of my playing days in the UK I find it strange that two footballing body's are not allowed to compete against each other.
Regardless of the politics, too my mind it should be encouraged, if football in SA is to evolve and progress then competition at the highest level is imperative, not just at senior level but also with the juniors.
Competition is good for any sport. Imagine a tournament and ultimately a final between Fed and SAASL, the interest would be huge and ultimately give the game a wider audience and encourage the losing side to improve and come back stronger the next year. This not only has an effect on football at grass roots level but also has an impact at all levels, it creates a higher standard that can only have a positive impact at professional level, given this country's status in world football and it's location Australia needs to breed it's own talent and that starts with grass roots football. Back home, just after I stopped playing we had a tournament between different footballing bodies, it was based on the champions league format, it started in Leicester( I think ) and became a country wide event where different regions played against each other, ultimately we had a national amateur champion and players from Saturday and Sunday Leagues competed against each other or played on the same side. So before anyone says " Well you are not in the UK anymore ", I know I'm not, I am merely asking the question, I love my football and find it hard to understand why there is a divide between organizations when to my mind it is holding back the progress of the game in this country. Having watched Fed and Amateur football there is not a lot too chose between them ability wise, is one scared of losing against the other?, is it pride or stubbornness?, Has it been done before?, but for the good of the game and it's progression why can't it happen ????>

Shibasaki Kō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: SAASL / FED ????

Post by Shibasaki Kō »

They can play but insurance won't cover it.

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Basically it is because they both just want to out do each other.. its all a pissing contest!
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

kings heir
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by kings heir »

Generally Federation is much stronger in quality, generally :wink:
We can get into what, how, why...but it speaks for itself.
Major point: players apply themselves more.

Does being "pissant" have anything to do with it???...

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

I recall a few years back a FFSA club was fined for playing a pre-season friendly against an SAASL team...also, several charity games have been called off in the past, as was the proposed SAASL select v Adelaide United game last year.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

I remember salisbury united used to play a memorial game each year against an amateur side, in the memory of a player who died tragically way too young. He had ties to both clubs through junior football.. the memorial game cannot go ahead any more because of these stupid rules! What a load of cabernet!!!!!! :evil:
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

swannsong wrote:I recall a few years back a FFSA club was fined for playing a pre-season friendly against an SAASL team...also, several charity games have been called off in the past, as was the proposed SAASL select v Adelaide United game last year.

That was nothing to do with FFSA not allowing it, it's more to do with they were concerned the SAASL side would beat them.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

kings heir wrote:Generally Federation is much stronger in quality, generally :wink:
We can get into what, how, why...but it speaks for itself.
Major point: players apply themselves more.

Does being "pissant" have anything to do with it???...
There are many, many players in the SAASL who have or could play with the Feds but for many reasons choose not too, including the need to train 2 or 3 times per week
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Filbert Fox
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Filbert Fox »

Thanks for the comments, it does seem like the two bodies just don't get along and there is too much red tape. As with a lot of things in life, stubbornness, rules and regs getting in the way of progress!!. Too me its a crying shame, the advantages surely outweigh disadvantages, if at all there are any. It would be interesting to see the results of a players vote from both sides, would it reflect the views of the governing bodies!!!, i doubt it.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

plus there are players who play for both amatuers and feds under false names and make a mockery of the term level playing field. :roll:

Shibasaki Kō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Shibasaki Kō »

Rogers Kenny is good at that.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Filbert Fox wrote:Thanks for the comments, it does seem like the two bodies just don't get along and there is too much red tape. As with a lot of things in life, stubbornness, rules and regs getting in the way of progress!!. Too me its a crying shame, the advantages surely outweigh disadvantages, if at all there are any. It would be interesting to see the results of a players vote from both sides, would it reflect the views of the governing bodies!!!, i doubt it.
You may find Filbert it has to do with the amateur league not being recognised by the FFSA/FFA, I believe interstate where the amateur leagues are under the FFA umbrella there is no issue.

Not sure what the advantages would be though FF, a preseason game here & there?

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

read bloody passits take on this which i agree with 100%. sad isnt it that people will always look for a chance to fiddle,right from our pollies downwards who naturaly are no example to anyone. :roll:

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

what real benefit would the saasl players get, by the ffsa joining the saasl ?

From what I understand the saasl have no issues with any amateur club wanting to play an ffsa club, but the ffsa wont it ?

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

Shibasaki Kō wrote:They can play but insurance won't cover it.
Not sure about SAASL insurance, but the benefits you get from the FFSA player insurance is hardly worth the bother of filling out the 6 page claim form.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

There is a loophole in the FFSA rules & regulations that allow training matches between FFSA and SAASL clubs

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

themessenger wrote:
Shibasaki Kō wrote:They can play but insurance won't cover it.
Not sure about SAASL insurance, but the benefits you get from the FFSA player insurance is hardly worth the bother of filling out the 6 page claim form.
yeah, when my mate broke his leg playing for Birks it was much easier for him to just claim it on his own insurance than to try and deal with the club and the federation.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

jim.mcguinness
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jim.mcguinness »

speaking from personal experience , insurance is not worth 2 bob , treat you like a criminal, takes 9 months , load of Barossa Pearl for what ?a couple of bucks !! insurance is not the reason we don't play each other .

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

Shibasaki Kō wrote:Rogers Kenny is good at that.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
swannsong wrote:I recall a few years back a FFSA club was fined for playing a pre-season friendly against an SAASL team...also, several charity games have been called off in the past, as was the proposed SAASL select v Adelaide United game last year.

That was nothing to do with FFSA not allowing it, it's more to do with they were concerned the SAASL side would beat them.
Take out the ex-Feds and that would be laughable.
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote:

I don't get this...you are either a current Fed player or not a Fed player :)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

So it's not laughable as it is?

take out all the ex amateurs out of the Adelaide United side and they can't put a team on the pitch.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

How many ex-SAASL registered players are there at AU?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:How many ex-SAASL registered players are there at AU?
I said ex amateurs, not ex saasl

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

You mentioned the SAASL side as beating one from AU. I'm saying take out the ex-Feds and most SAASL sides would struggle against anyone playing in a higher league, with MAYBE a few exceptions.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
You mentioned the SAASL side as beating one from AU. I'm saying take out the ex-Feds and most SAASL sides would struggle against anyone playing in a higher league, with MAYBE a few exceptions.
Then my response to that was?

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Federation is amateurs.
Let's face reality.
Teams are getting younger & younger.
I'd like to see end of the year a select/state teams from both SAASL & Fed.play off.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

= trouncing
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

OMG
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by OMG »

Agree with = trouncing.

From watching many quality games and players in Federation Div 1 games over the years plus SAASL games it is disappointing to see the standard of games & players these days which IMO is as a result of the players being young and not having the opportunity to have played beside and against older experienced players who for a number of reasons "shift" to SAASL and perform at an excellent level.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

redfred wrote:= trouncing

I don't think the federation players are that bad