Has the standard of U18's gone backwards

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Spana100
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Has the standard of U18's gone backwards

Post by Spana100 »

Its like watching U15's!!!!!

Not very good.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Has the standard of U18's gone backwards

Post by Ibelieve »

Absolutely gone backwards.
Soon we will have 11yr olds opinion the 18's

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

reserves is an under 18 comp with a couple of over agers
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

jimmy2014
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by jimmy2014 »

Watched CCSC v ABE 18s on the weekend and the game was sooo sloooow. It wasn't what I was expecting. Reffing didn't help in any of the games I saw on the weekend, constantly stopping play and pulling players away for a chat for every little foul, especially those that we're fouls to start with - an epidemic in FFSA soccer, which has been drummed into the ref's (although there's still no consistency). It makes for a very poor standard of football.

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GiancarloRed »

Not sure about going backwards but I have been disappointed with the standard of 18s State League where my son plays (debut year). Most teams are not precise in their play, struggle to use width, move the ball slowly, and are weak in possession. Creativity is sorely lacking. A few just kick the ball long and hope for the best, most goals come from turnovers and avoidable errors, whilst some of the finishing has been piss-poor. Expected better from players in this senior age group but it is indicative of how players have been developed over the years. I expect Premier League to be sharper, quicker and more intense, certainly based on games I saw last season.

Cruyff
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cruyff »

GiancarloRed wrote:Not sure about going backwards but I have been disappointed with the standard of 18s State League where my son plays (debut year). Most teams are not precise in their play, struggle to use width, move the ball slowly, and are weak in possession. Creativity is sorely lacking. A few just kick the ball long and hope for the best, most goals come from turnovers and avoidable errors, whilst some of the finishing has been piss-poor. Expected better from players in this senior age group but it is indicative of how players have been developed over the years. I expect Premier League to be sharper, quicker and more intense, certainly based on games I saw last season.
No.....the standards poor.. playing a mixture of ages from 15-18 with the younger ones struggling with physicality.....

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

You're going the wrong games then. Croydon Kings play a great style (well coached) and wont do it 100% as most are 15-16, but sometimes the football is better to watch than the higher grades. Last year, champions, this year reckon at least finals.
Ignore this signature

kings
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by kings »

Bomber wrote:You're going the wrong games then. Croydon Kings play a great style (well coached) and wont do it 100% as most are 15-16, but sometimes the football is better to watch than the higher grades. Last year, champions, this year reckon at least finals.
:D

18's is a mixture of 15-18 the standard has lowered due to clubs following FFSA pathway......

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

kings wrote:
Bomber wrote:You're going the wrong games then. Croydon Kings play a great style (well coached) and wont do it 100% as most are 15-16, but sometimes the football is better to watch than the higher grades. Last year, champions, this year reckon at least finals.
:D

18's is a mixture of 15-18 the standard has lowered due to clubs following FFSA pathway......
Are you allowed to say that? Almost blasphemy.

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

18's is a mixture of 15-18 the standard has lowered due to clubs following FFSA pathway......[/quote]
Are you allowed to say that? Almost blasphemy.[/quote]

hooray some one states what everyone see's, so has the refs with the NTC, maybe they worry they wont get another gig if they do a great job for both sides.

runcorn2adelaide
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by runcorn2adelaide »

Depends upon what you are comparing it too ?
U19's was better , however dropping to U18's and PPS has forced clubs to promote younger talent , possibly too early !
Reality is that Ressies. Is now an U19's with a few overage players.
Teams are pushing players to Ressies too early , meaning the 1st team squads have limited backup.
Good example - Pirates U18's - having been promoted from State league - resisted temptation to push them to Ressies, they are top of U18's league and players continue to develop.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

In a couple years, it'll all change again.
19's will be bought back, and another full crop of kids will be delusional.
Parents peed off, life goes on.
It's worse than politics

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

Ibelieve wrote:In a couple years, it'll all change again.
19's will be bought back, and another full crop of kids will be delusional.
Parents peed off, life goes on.
It's worse than politics

the only place the comp will go is to align with all ages being the same as the rest of the world

the politics is FFA and the FFSA not wanting to be liable or even shown as having direction, then again getting paid lots to do little works right.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Heres a bold statement: The standard of the U18s has NEVER been good.

Any decent 16/17 year old will have progressed into reserve football, with the top end already finding themselves in the first team. This leaves two types of under 18s teams: TEAM A: All the 17 year old kids who weren't good enough to play Reserves. and TEAM B: 15/16 year old kids who have the technical skills but not the physical skills yet. This results in TEAM A physically dominating games, while TEAM B struggle to deal with the intensity and physicality of boys older than them.

In my opinion the pathway is excellent. Teams should have U12, U13, U14, U15 and U16 teams and then U18s. The elite technical players in the U14, U15 & U16s should be promoted up the U18s to allow them to progress their technical development at the next "intensity level". If all teams done this, you would have a very strong U18 competition that would have the best 16 technical players at each club aged 14-16 years old. This would also give them 2-3 seasons to develop in the U18s and transition easier, rather than going from U17s to U18s and having 1 season to develop, transition before they either make the reserves or are released.

Reserves should be 16-21 + Senior players dropping down (maximum 3). This allows the most advanced 16-18 year olds to develop at more advanced level while also adjusting to the physicality required at the first team level. The older of these players are the ones that would be more physically ready to take the step into first team football and provide the extra depth. If you're not knocking on the door at 21 you will find most will move on themselves, or will be released to make room for a younger player.

I'll use Playford as an example:

Senior Squad:
25-30+ = 4
21-24 = 2
16-20 = 10

Reserves:
18-21 = 4
16-17 = 12

Out of those, 17 are still eligible to play U18s (5 from the first team, 12 from reserves)...

IMO the U18s should be regarded as a development league for the best 14-16 year olds at every club - clubs should look to put an internal 17 year old cap on the teams. They should still be interchange. Its not about making the leagues younger, its about prioritizing technical development over physical development. Simply put, a team full of 17 year olds who are physically more mature will walk the U18 league (like Pirates mentioned above) simply because most teams have adopted the younger approach. The only team that should be worried about "match results" is the first team, EVERY other team at a club should be focussed on "development".

Of the 16 players i selected in trials at the start of the season (im reserves coach) 10 have made their senior debuts. 4 have moved into the squad on a permanent basis. Last week we beat Eastern 5-0 and finished the match with 8 players under 20, 6 of which were eligible for the u18s. I have no idea where the reserves sit on the table, id imagine mid table.. but what do you think is more important, winning the reserve league or producing players capable of taking the step into senior football. I don't see my role as Head coach is to develop a good team, its to develop good players - though when all those good players play together, then you'll natural have a good team.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

runcorn2adelaide wrote:Reality is that Ressies. Is now an U19's with a few overage players.Teams are pushing players to Ressies too early , meaning the 1st team squads have limited backup
teams appear to be coping with the use of young players in the ressies and first team as above mentioned BUT from the games I've seen the issue with back up is the goalkeeping. the backup keepers are too young/small and don't have the skills or size to command a senior goal , yet? Salisbury appear to now be suffering with it. there appears a shortage especially in the state league
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

matty2323 wrote:Heres a bold statement: The standard of the U18s has NEVER been good.

Any decent 16/17 year old will have progressed into reserve football, with the top end already finding themselves in the first team. This leaves two types of under 18s teams: TEAM A: All the 17 year old kids who weren't good enough to play Reserves. and TEAM B: 15/16 year old kids who have the technical skills but not the physical skills yet. This results in TEAM A physically dominating games, while TEAM B struggle to deal with the intensity and physicality of boys older than them.

In my opinion the pathway is excellent. Teams should have U12, U13, U14, U15 and U16 teams and then U18s. The elite technical players in the U14, U15 & U16s should be promoted up the U18s to allow them to progress their technical development at the next "intensity level". If all teams done this, you would have a very strong U18 competition that would have the best 16 technical players at each club aged 14-16 years old. This would also give them 2-3 seasons to develop in the U18s and transition easier, rather than going from U17s to U18s and having 1 season to develop, transition before they either make the reserves or are released.

Reserves should be 16-21 + Senior players dropping down (maximum 3). This allows the most advanced 16-18 year olds to develop at more advanced level while also adjusting to the physicality required at the first team level. The older of these players are the ones that would be more physically ready to take the step into first team football and provide the extra depth. If you're not knocking on the door at 21 you will find most will move on themselves, or will be released to make room for a younger player.

I'll use Playford as an example:

Senior Squad:
25-30+ = 4
21-24 = 2
16-20 = 10

Reserves:
18-21 = 4
16-17 = 12

Out of those, 17 are still eligible to play U18s (5 from the first team, 12 from reserves)...

IMO the U18s should be regarded as a development league for the best 14-16 year olds at every club - clubs should look to put an internal 17 year old cap on the teams. They should still be interchange. Its not about making the leagues younger, its about prioritizing technical development over physical development. Simply put, a team full of 17 year olds who are physically more mature will walk the U18 league (like Pirates mentioned above) simply because most teams have adopted the younger approach. The only team that should be worried about "match results" is the first team, EVERY other team at a club should be focussed on "development".

Of the 16 players i selected in trials at the start of the season (im reserves coach) 10 have made their senior debuts. 4 have moved into the squad on a permanent basis. Last week we beat Eastern 5-0 and finished the match with 8 players under 20, 6 of which were eligible for the u18s. I have no idea where the reserves sit on the table, id imagine mid table.. but what do you think is more important, winning the reserve league or producing players capable of taking the step into senior football. I don't see my role as Head coach is to develop a good team, its to develop good players - though when all those good players play together, then you'll natural have a good team.

seems you may have an issue with how the teams are left with development and the who is where in the club structures (parents on boards / technical directors etc) giving breaks to good players but not great ones for who they know and not what they can do. i'm sure you would have had players that looked the goods while young and you would have favoured with picks and breaks or been told too give them breaks yet failed later as they got older as your clubs development pathway failed them.

18's / ressies is a time for results to make sure all players can live up too the expectaion of 1st team and if they are on top (or closer too it) of their leagues the better for your 1st team and club, one only needs to look at AU sides and the shear speed of their games that most state sides appear to be walking and you want younger players.

clubs who fail to truely develop with not only ball skills but leave all the other measures out like sprint times and what the body needs to have with fuel for the game day etc, really lack development is about measuring the fine detail of every player (simple one, weight of each of your players doubt you or most clubs would have them recorded) and as a team and club how do you know your players are ready (the boy looks good but can't cope with mental pressure when a 25 yr old pastes him all day) do you or clubs mentally prepare your players (quick measure is the amount of cards they get per game).

the last thing that you have is what do you do with the 30 or 40 juniors you want to play up as at point X in the future 3 years or so you will throw them out and again if a club has done it right the players will want to be picked up by the next club along or even be approached to join other clubs.
the more clubs you have asking about your players the better the development you have, and with that you have succeeded in your coaching role.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

You can drum yourself up all you can!
Reserves & 18's are crappy. Only 2-3 reserves teams are ok in the whole comp.
The rest would've been beaten by a 17's team 5 yrs ago... :shock:
The football is very ordinary. Players are getting rewarded for free. FFA & FFSA shame shame shame.
I wish in my job my boss would elevate me into the higher road gang. Even though I've been loyal, but I know within I'm not up to it, Theres a possibility I can still get elevated.
But in the end, the whole firm goes broke.
Never mind, I'll get another job.

Neyma
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Neyma »

Just a thought

What if the reserves become a 'B' team and played for promotion relegation, and established a State League B. Where clubs and could blood their fringe players in a senior competition, as Adelaide United have. With the 'A' team supported by the Under 19s and the 'B' team supported by the Under 17s.

With opportunity to get competitive in Senior Football. and really see the quality of their potential fringe players, instead of them leaving or thinking they are more advanced then they are.

Clubs would have the opportunity to nominate a B Team and only have 2 games on match day instead of 3.

For example;

NPL x 12 Teams (supported by Under 19 team)
Premier League x 12 teams (supported by under 19)
State League x 12 teams (8 senior clubs and top 4 B teams from NPL/ supported by Under 19 & Under 17 for B teams)
State League B x 12 teams ( support by Under 17s) play on Sundays

Like in Germany and Spain would this give clubs opportunity to test their fringe players in Senior football and have to fight for Promotion and Relegation and developed the mentality and competitive nature to play NPL.

With four leagues would this then open up more spots for SA teams in the FFA cup ?

Many parents and players thing they are ready to play senior football after one season of reserves, yet in reality struggle when they have to play against Senior players.

With the expansion of the Leagues more clubs are going to struggle with fielding both Reserves and Under 18s, would this help develop more players for clubs and maybe keep their late developers longer at clubs without saying they are past it at 18yo.

Is this a viable alternative ?, would clubs like to see their youth players playing in more intense and competitive matches?

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Neyma wrote:Just a thought

What if the reserves become a 'B' team and played for promotion relegation, and established a State League B. Where clubs and could blood their fringe players in a senior competition, as Adelaide United have. With the 'A' team supported by the Under 19s and the 'B' team supported by the Under 17s.

With opportunity to get competitive in Senior Football. and really see the quality of their potential fringe players, instead of them leaving or thinking they are more advanced then they are.

Clubs would have the opportunity to nominate a B Team and only have 2 games on match day instead of 3.

For example;

NPL x 12 Teams (supported by Under 19 team)
Premier League x 12 teams (supported by under 19)
State League x 12 teams (8 senior clubs and top 4 B teams from NPL/ supported by Under 19 & Under 17 for B teams)
State League B x 12 teams ( support by Under 17s) play on Sundays

Like in Germany and Spain would this give clubs opportunity to test their fringe players in Senior football and have to fight for Promotion and Relegation and developed the mentality and competitive nature to play NPL.

With four leagues would this then open up more spots for SA teams in the FFA cup ?

Many parents and players thing they are ready to play senior football after one season of reserves, yet in reality struggle when they have to play against Senior players.

With the expansion of the Leagues more clubs are going to struggle with fielding both Reserves and Under 18s, would this help develop more players for clubs and maybe keep their late developers longer at clubs without saying they are past it at 18yo.

Is this a viable alternative ?, would clubs like to see their youth players playing in more intense and competitive matches?
Has some merit but wouldn't work insofar as then 18s Reserves Seniors could be playing all over the place at different locations .. this would have a detrimental effect on clubs for too many reasons to list.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

runcorn2adelaide wrote:Depends upon what you are comparing it too ?
U19's was better , however dropping to U18's and PPS has forced clubs to promote younger talent , possibly too early !
Teams are pushing players to Ressies too early , meaning the 1st team squads have limited backup.
Good example - Pirates U18's - having been promoted from State league - resisted temptation to push them to Ressies, they are top of U18's league and players continue to develop.
And tonight that team came up against a first team player who is the same age as them. He scored a hat trick, as Playford went on to win 5-0 (at 80th minute when i left). If Kids are playing u18s at 17-18, unfortunately its almost too late for them. There will be exceptions, but not many. You'd think the top 30-40% of 16-18 year olds are already playing reserves/seniors. Big risk leaving them down to compete in their own age group.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

matty2323 wrote:
And tonight that team came up against a first team player who is the same age as them. He scored a hat trick, as Playford went on to win 5-0 (at 80th minute when i left). If Kids are playing u18s at 17-18, unfortunately its almost too late for them. There will be exceptions, but not many. You'd think the top 30-40% of 16-18 year olds are already playing reserves/seniors. Big risk leaving them down to compete in their own age group.
So the U18's players should be 15-16 years old? Why not call the league U17's? Oh, because then clubs would be playing 16-17 year olds and that wouldn't be right. :roll:

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

johnydep wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
So the U18's players should be 15-16 years old? Why not call the league U17's? Oh, because then clubs would be playing 16-17 year olds and that wouldn't be right. :roll:
Yes, they should be 15-16 years old. And they should be the BEST 15-16 year olds at the club. Strong youth programs always have kids "playing up". These may not reflect in match day results, but they normally reflect in players being produced.

Last night we had 7 players from the first team and 6 players from the reserves who were eligible to play in the U18 cup competition. So they are the best 14-15 17 year olds at the club. So whats the point in then filling the U18 with another 14-15 17 year olds? Why not push up the best 15,16 year olds in the squad? Then the U15s and U16s can have 3-4 underage players per team and you have a "conveyor" belt of players stepping up.

Rather then putting 12 months into an u18 team of 17 year olds who may compete well, but maybe non are capable of taking the next step because the age appropriate players they're in direct competition with are already exposing themselves to reserve or senior football....

Speak to most senior players and ask them how old they were when they played U18, Reserve or senior football. I myself was in SASI at 14 playing U23s and seniors at 15/16. Most top end players will be entering senior football at 16/17. Not entering U18 football at 17.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

matty2323 wrote:
johnydep wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
Yes, they should be 15-16 years old. And they should be the BEST 15-16 year olds at the club. .
Then it should not be the U18's, it should be the U16's!!

What is wrong with people? If you all had your way, in 10 years time we'd be watching 14 year olds play in the first stage of the senior football system. Ridiculous. I suggest some of you guys go read up on the football systems of great footballing countries.

U18's means all players up to the required age. Not - players up to the age of 16 but not above 16. :roll:

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

johnydep wrote: Then it should not be the U18's, it should be the U16's!!

What is wrong with people? If you all had your way, in 10 years time we'd be watching 14 year olds play in the first stage of the senior football system. Ridiculous. I suggest some of you guys go read up on the football systems of great footballing countries.

U18's means all players up to the required age. Not - players up to the age of 16 but not above 16. :roll:
Yes, but those countries have hundreds of thousands of kids to choose from per age group. They have the quality both above and below to allow them to many age appropriate players. What you're suggesting is we pick quantity over quality. To select u18 teams full of 17 year olds because they're the right age.

Most elite countries dont have age groups for every age. They go U12, 14, 16. and they have 2 teams per age group. first year you're "playing up", the second you're "age appropriate".. with all elite player 'accelerated'. How do we have the likes of Messi & Rooney etc making debuts at 16 if they were only allowed to play in their respective age groups?

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

matty2323 wrote:
johnydep wrote: Then it should not be the U18's, it should be the U16's!!

Yes, but those countries have hundreds of thousands of kids to choose from per age group.
So what?

U18's means any player under the age of 18 at the beginning of the season. Not any player under the age of 16.

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

Speak to most senior players and ask them how old they were when they played U18, Reserve or senior football. I myself was in SASI at 14 playing U23s and seniors at 15/16. Most top end players will be entering senior football at 16/17. Not entering U18 football at 17.[/quote]

speak to most senior players and ask how long you have left to play 1st team on your ages at 25 or older you will be replaced by the vast majority of 14-17 yr olds and to what end, does the knowledge you have pass down or just get lost when you all leave.

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

matty2323 wrote:
And tonight that team came up against a first team player who is the same age as them. He scored a hat trick

have you got him to reach his full potential in state league :?: not a chance, after seeing him play he is so much better and if he plays at the next level up he would see it, but he must be happy in the state league, although if the window opened and he pushed himself and used all his potential, he could be doing the same as goodwin and the likes young and trying to push his limits of the highest level.

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Coach_Mulatinho »

fossil wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
And tonight that team came up against a first team player who is the same age as them. He scored a hat trick

have you got him to reach his full potential in state league :?: not a chance, after seeing him play he is so much better and if he plays at the next level up he would see it, but he must be happy in the state league, although if the window opened and he pushed himself and used all his potential, he could be doing the same as goodwin and the likes young and trying to push his limits of the highest level.
Age isnt the issue but the potential quality/talent of the player and the way coaches perceive that quality/talent

bradman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by bradman »

Maybe its harder to get into a premier league reserve grade side than it is a middle of the road state league 1st team. Maybe one day your club have the chance to prove me wrong but I doubt it as u looked assured of State League again next season just depends which 1.

Maybe Premier League clubs have a different philosophy (god forbid) It might be Why the rush or Where's the fire approach. If you are going to throw stones at the way other clubs decide to develop their players make sure you don't live in a glass house or if you do get dressed in the basement.

Look after your back yard as ours is looking fantastic

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

Muzza wrote:Maybe its harder to get into a premier league reserve grade side than it is a middle of the road state league 1st team. Maybe one day your club have the chance to prove me wrong but I doubt it as u looked assured of State League again next season just depends which 1.

Maybe Premier League clubs have a different philosophy (god forbid) It might be Why the rush or Where's the fire approach. If you are going to throw stones at the way other clubs decide to develop their players make sure you don't live in a glass house or if you do get dressed in the basement.

Look after your back yard as ours is looking fantastic

Not sure who this comment is directed to exactly, but you must be having a laugh suggesting it is harder to get into premier league reserves side than it is a mid-table state league first team.

Clearly you don't get out to many state league matches. :lol: