Extra Goal-line Assistant Referees

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Extra Goal-line Assistant Referees

Post by Con M »

Why the stall about two extra goal-line Assistant Referees?

A-League Chief Damien de Bohun says they will only be trialled in the FFA Cup Round-of-16 and beyond in that Cup series, but not implemented in the A-League proper.

Why so? It is already approved by IFAB and in practice in the European Champions League, Europa League and many Leagues around Europe.

With most Leagues unable to afford Goal-Line-Technology that was used in the World Cup and now in use in the EPL, it is the next best thing.

Why is de Bohun insisting on just trialling it in the FFA Cup? It is already tried & tested elsewhere & proven to have reduced goal-line controversies & transgressions in the penalty area. So, why the stall?

What makes Australia better than those other places which have implemented AARs? Must de Bohun wait for a controversial 'phantom-Lampard-goal' moment in the A-League, then implement this scheme mid-season?

The other crunch decision awaiting Australia and the Asian Football Confederation is whether to implement Additional Assistant Referees in January's Asian Cup.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Extra Goal-line Assistant Referees

Post by Stitch This »

Bollocks.
Time for some righteous indignation

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Since they've been in Serie A, I've seen penalties given by the additional refs which weren't in a position to see properly. Referees who overrule what the additional refs say and just not be sure in their own mind. Basically, it adds to confusion and inconsistency.

Kitagawa Keiko
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Kitagawa Keiko »

Stitch This wrote:Bollocks.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Kitagawa Keiko wrote:
What are you saying is Bollocks? Goal-Line-Technology or the use of Additional Assistant Refs if GLT is unaffordable?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Con M wrote:
Kitagawa Keiko wrote:
What are you saying is Bollocks? Goal-Line-Technology or the use of Additional Assistant Refs if GLT is unaffordable?

I think he means the whole idea of using extra officials.

The FFA's problem is that they can't find enough Guide dogs for their current officials let alone for two more. :oops: :oops: :oops:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Prestoz »

I wonder if they'll join in the synchronized-player-style-warm-up drills with the other referees despite that they never kick a ball but just jog around, and I wonder if they'll practice running along the line with one hand by their side. And I wonder if they'll realize that squatting down doesn't allow you to see better.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Prestoz wrote:I wonder if they'll join in the synchronized-player-style-warm-up drills with the other referees despite that they never kick a ball but just jog around, and I wonder if they'll practice running along the line with one hand by their side. And I wonder if they'll realize that squatting down doesn't allow you to see better.

They can't do that as the dog leads will get tangled. :oops: :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Juventino wrote:Since they've been in Serie A, I've seen penalties given by the additional refs which weren't in a position to see properly. Referees who overrule what the additional refs say and just not be sure in their own mind. Basically, it adds to confusion and inconsistency.
Maybe. But remember it's the central ref who makes the ultimate decision and he can over-rule any Additional Assistant Ref, just like he can over-rule an Assistant Ref on the touchline.

Dunno if I read it in Four-Four-Two magazine or the London World Soccer magazine but there was apparently a study which showed that goal-line controversies were virtually eliminated where AARs had been introduced, and that there was a reduction in shirt-pulling, holding and diving.

Remember, these AARs are in constant radio contact with the central Ref. They might appear to be just standing there with their electronic baton, but they are extra eyes on that goal-line and penalty area. They would have to have a better view of the goal-line than say, the central Ref who is at 90 degrees to that line, and even a better view than the touch-line Assistant Ref who might be sprinting back to get in line but only say, level with the 18-yard penalty area line.

My original opinion was that 6 officials for one game was just two too many. But in the absence of Goal-Line-Technology I think this is the way to go, just like in the European Champions League, the Europa League and many major European Countries' Leagues.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Con M wrote:
Juventino wrote:Since they've been in Serie A, I've seen penalties given by the additional refs which weren't in a position to see properly. Referees who overrule what the additional refs say and just not be sure in their own mind. Basically, it adds to confusion and inconsistency.
Dunno if I read it in Four-Four-Two magazine or the London World Soccer magazine but there was apparently a study which showed that goal-line controversies were virtually eliminated where AARs had been introduced, and that there was a reduction in shirt-pulling, holding and diving.
By watching games you can see that just isn't true.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Juventino wrote:
Con M wrote:
By watching games you can see that just isn't true.
Con saw it on the internet, it must be :shock:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Even GLT is a waste of money.
Time for some righteous indignation

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stitch This wrote:Even GLT is a waste of money.
How so? It's working in the EPL. Goals are reported within 1 second & with 99% accuracy to the Ref's watch. And it costs less than what Rooney & some others earn in a week.

ps, admin or Moderators - why has this thread been moved? It's an issue predominantly about use of AARs in the FFA Cup, and their non-use in the A-League proper.

Kȁpita
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Kȁpita »

Is is also about referees and the laws of the game. If I was to point out to admin that it is laws of the game and not rules of the game would it be construed as constructive criticism or negativity?
Why is half a day at home more tiring than a week at work?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Old Master wrote:
Con M wrote:
Kitagawa Keiko wrote:

I think he means the whole idea of using extra officials.

The FFA's problem is that they can't find enough Guide dogs for their current officials let alone for two more. :oops: :oops: :oops:[/quote]
Putting aside the flippancy, do you have a realistic & practical solution given that Australia & the Asian Football Confederation cannot afford Goal-Line-Technology?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Putting aside the flippancy, do you have a realistic & practical solution given that Australia & the Asian Football Confederation cannot afford Goal-Line-Technology?
Yep, put up with the one in a thousand shots that goes in, but doesn't get given. Football's managed for 100+ years, so I'm sure we'll survive.

GLT is great if you can afford it, but the extra officials are a complete waste of money.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Con M wrote:Putting aside the flippancy, do you have a realistic & practical solution given that Australia & the Asian Football Confederation cannot afford Goal-Line-Technology?
Yep, put up with the one in a thousand shots that goes in, but doesn't get given. Football's managed for 100+ years, so I'm sure we'll survive.

GLT is great if you can afford it, but the extra officials are a complete waste of money.
I'm sure the A-League could afford 10 AARs spread over 5 games.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Con M wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

I'm sure the A-League could afford 10 AARs spread over 5 games.
I'll volunteer for Croydon's games, as long as I can stand amongst the crowd as I do normally. I always can tell if it was in or if it wasn't from there!
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bomber wrote: I'll volunteer for Croydon's games, as long as I can stand amongst the crowd as I do normally. I always can tell if it was in or if it wasn't from there!
Sorry Bomber, no homies allowed.

Meanwhile A-League chief Damien de Bohun has been trialling AARs in the FFA Cup while European comps which can't afford GLT have implemented them. Why oh why can't Australia ever to take the lead and be innovative with trial suggestions?

For example, what happened to de Bohun's undertaking to trial in our State's NPL 4 points for a win, 1 for a draw?

ps, I wonder if the confused Asian Football Confederation is going to use Additional Assistant Refs in next month's Asian Nations Cup?

pps, I know Goal Line Technology costs what some players earn in a week, but ze Germans have finally bitten the bullet and agreed to implement it like the EPL has...

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:
Bomber wrote: I'll volunteer for Croydon's games, as long as I can stand amongst the crowd as I do normally. I always can tell if it was in or if it wasn't from there!

Meanwhile A-League chief Damien de Bohun has been trialling AARs in the FFA Cup while European comps which can't afford GLT have implemented them. Why oh why can't Australia ever to take the lead and be innovative with trial suggestions?

For example, what happened to de Bohun's undertaking to trial in our State's NPL 4 points for a win, 1 for a draw?

ps, I wonder if the confused Asian Football Confederation is going to use Additional Assistant Refs in next month's Asian Nations Cup?

pps, I know Goal Line Technology costs what some players earn in a week, but ze Germans have finally bitten the bullet and agreed to implement it like the EPL has...
Probably realised it was a dumb idea :shock:
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Con M wrote:

Probably realised it was a dumb idea :shock:
Not so, Stalker Cyril. De Bohun wouldn't know if his a r s e was on fire. He's still busy trialling AARs in the FFA Cup while the World has passed him by and implemented them in comps which claim they can't afford GLT.

ps. he may even be pining over a time long past in the horse-and-buggy days when they used a rope for a crossbar - just as Nice One Cyril appears to be...

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Why the stall about two extra goal-line Assistant Referees?

A-League Chief Damien de Bohun says they will only be trialled in the FFA Cup Round-of-16 and beyond in that Cup series, but not implemented in the A-League proper.

Why so? It is already approved by IFAB and in practice in the European Champions League, Europa League and many Leagues around Europe.

With most Leagues unable to afford Goal-Line-Technology that was used in the World Cup and now in use in the EPL, it is the next best thing.

Why is de Bohun insisting on just trialling it in the FFA Cup? It is already tried & tested elsewhere & proven to have reduced goal-line controversies & transgressions in the penalty area. So, why the stall?

What makes Australia better than those other places which have implemented AARs? Must de Bohun wait for a controversial 'phantom-Lampard-goal' moment in the A-League, then implement this scheme mid-season?

The other crunch decision awaiting Australia and the Asian Football Confederation is whether to implement Additional Assistant Referees in January's Asian Cup.
Watch the Roma v Fiorentina Europa League game, the ball for Fiorentina's second goal is clearly out, yet the useless twat, sorry, goal line assistant, missed it. Waste of space and money.
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Gaylene wrote:I wonder if they'll join in the synchronized-player-style-warm-up drills with the other referees despite that they never kick a ball but just jog around, and I wonder if they'll practice running along the line with one hand by their side bitcoin slot
. And I wonder if they'll realize that squatting down doesn't allow you to see better.
Well, I must say squatting down may not make one see better, but it sure does help doing one or two other things better!
Ignore this signature