Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Fanzone at Adel.Oval during the World Cup?

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Con M wrote: Anyhow, back to the topic of this thread. Be happy that you have your wish that there will not be a World Cup fanzone that 14 June morning at the SACA/Crowval, nor will you need to worry about schoolkids' games being postponed or shifted. I just find it a pity that in this extremely rare coincidence that Australia's National Team's World Cup game clashes with the time of the kids' games, then those schoolchildren's fixtures on that one date could not have been postponed/shifted so they could watch the World Cup game live on TV.
Do you really think I am going to tell you the managers name so you can talk your cabernet to him. Go to the pub and ask nicely and they will put the football on. Myself and black_panter have been in one of the venues that you have said is so hard to get football shown in.
Well, following on all the twisting, turning, hair-splitting & pedantry about kids' games on Sat morn 14 June, the EZPSSA matches will go ahead anyway on that date, with times allocated after the re-grading. As stated above, more's the pity that at least the early games of that morning couldn't have been postponed or shifted to a post-midday timeslot.

Re the pub, don't know who 'black-panter' is, but we promise to be polite as him and you if we have to request football to be shown. Fairly sure have narrowed down which pub your manager/mate is at.

Anyhow, to conclude this topic & close this thread (which you will still want the last word on, as is your wont) please first re-read the para in red & large font above.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Con M wrote:Well, following on all the twisting, turning, hair-splitting & pedantry about kids' games on Sat morn 14 June, the EZPSSA matches will go ahead anyway on that date, with times allocated after the re-grading. As stated above, more's the pity that at least the early games of that morning couldn't have been postponed or shifted to a post-midday timeslot.

Re the pub, don't know who 'black-panter' is, but we promise to be polite as him and you if we have to request football to be shown. Fairly sure have narrowed down which pub your manager/mate is at.

Anyhow, to conclude this topic & close this thread (which you will still want the last word on, as is your wont) please first re-read the para in red & large font above.

Seeing as no fixtures have been arranged as yet, why would they claim it's set?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

adelaidebloke wrote:so the city will not have a fanzone, or do anything for the world cup...worlds largest sporting event.

no wonder all our kids are tubby

Yes, because watching football stops you being fat.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:so the city will not have a fanzone, or do anything for the world cup...worlds largest sporting event.

no wonder all our kids are tubby

Yes, because watching football stops you being fat.
Well as I explained before it helped me as a kid.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I'm afraid I received a sorry but not interested email from Splash Adelaide. Hopefully someone better organised and more suited to the task submitted a better application for something along the lines we'd like.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

no fanzone in adelaide....joke!

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

So, all the lobbying (pestering?) has paid off: http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/what ... the-square

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I'm not sure what's better. That we've got what we wanted or Con is going to stop complaining about this :wink: Either way its a great day! :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Juventino wrote:So, all the lobbying (pestering?) has paid off: http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/what ... the-square
I won't be able to make it, my son has a game in the morning.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Juventino & Stuckey, if lobbying has sort of paid off - not at Adelaide Oval unfortunately, but at the least-preferred Vic Square which has no rain shelter, then it's better than nothing for our city of 1.2 million.

Like the Fanzones & Fanfests at the 12 Brazilian host cities for people who can't afford tickets or get into sold-out stadia, and like Fanzones in the cities around the World for fans who couldn't travel, we will also now have a smaller version of a carnival atmosphere of the community of football fans gathering to watch some games together. And that is no bad thing.

Let's hope for good weather and a good turnout for that Australia versus Chile game at 7.30 am Saturday the 14th June, even without the many children & parents/guardians involved in those early morning primary school/high school/college games which couldn't be postponed or shifted.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Where's the fanzine in London?

Killing An Arab
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Killing An Arab »

God is an Englishman wrote:Where's the fanzine in London?
Try arsenal, they have the gooner. I'm sure a few other clubs have fanzines too.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Juventino wrote:So, all the lobbying (pestering?) has paid off: http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/what ... the-square
Oh, that's bad luck. Can you make it the next morning, same time, same place for the England v Italia game? Could end up being a better atmosphere than your mate's eastern 'burbs pub.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Killing An Arab wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Where's the fanzine in London?
Try arsenal, they have the gooner. I'm sure a few other clubs have fanzines too.

Millwall have a few as well, thanks for the information.

Follow up question, where's the fanzone in London?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
Oh, that's bad luck. Can you make it the next morning, same time, same place for the England v Italia game? Could end up being a better atmosphere than your mate's eastern 'burbs pub.

England play Italy, who are this Italia mob? No, I'll watch it at home or in the pub.

Just had a thought though, no Eastern suburb pubs show football.
Last edited by God is an Englishman on Sat May 31, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ps, God is/possibly isn't an Englishman: your school team doesn't have a game on the long weekend starting Saturday the 7th June. If the Australia v Croatia warm-up game ends up being telecast at 7.30 am that morning do you think any of the youngsters in your team born here, studying here, living here will end up watching that game on TV?

As for your loaded question about a World Cup fanzone in London, were you thinking of going over? I thought one might be in colourful Leicester Square or even at The Den.

Not sure if those are going ahead, but fanzones will be in any number of other cities.

If you are flying over for the northern summer you might want to consider going to one of the most successful fanzones, the one in Berlin which had huge crowds every day during the last two World Cups.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Was the one in Berlin called a fanzone?

Or did it have a German name?

Cos that seems to be a sticking point for you. Adelaide has a pre-arranged event in the CDB, but because it's not called "Fanzone" you have a whinge.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bacon888 wrote:Was the one in Berlin called a fanzone?

Cos that seems to be a sticking point for you. Adelaide has a pre-arranged event in the CDB, but because it's not called "Fanzone" you have a whinge.
How on earth did you get that idea? Fan Zone, Fan Park, Fan Fest - doesn't matter what they're called - it's places where football fans gather together in a carnival-type atmosphere to watch World Cup games.

A minor point, but it's CBD, not CDB (Central Business District). And I'm resigned to the FanZone/Fest/Park being held there, knowing the SMA & Crows wouldn't allow it at the Crowval.

Just hoping the weather is kind on 14 June & 15 June because there's no shelter in Vic Square/Diamond/Rectangle.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:ps, God is/possibly isn't an Englishman: your school team doesn't have a game on the long weekend starting Saturday the 7th June. If the Australia v Croatia warm-up game ends up being telecast at 7.30 am that morning do you think any of the youngsters in your team born here, studying here, living here will end up watching that game on TV?

As for your loaded question about a World Cup fanzone in London, were you thinking of going over? I thought one might be in colourful Leicester Square or even at The Den.

Not sure if those are going ahead, but fanzones will be in any number of other cities.

If you are flying over for the northern summer you might want to consider going to one of the most successful fanzones, the one in Berlin which had huge crowds every day during the last two World Cups.
I ask because I don't think London has one.

No games on the long weekend. I'm thinking of training them though, just to piss you off.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Con M wrote:ps, God is/possibly isn't an Englishman: your school team doesn't have a game on the long weekend starting Saturday the 7th June. If the Australia v Croatia warm-up game ends up being telecast at 7.30 am that morning do you think any of the youngsters in your team born here, studying here, living here will end up watching that game on TV?

I ask because I don't think London has one.
Had a quick glance, apparently one gathering is going to be at Covent Garden. Or 1 quick hour away by train your London people could shoot down to Brighton to watch England on the big screen which is on the beach, east of Palace Pier, next to the Brighton wheel. The Rio-style Liverpool street party & World Cup FanFest, or the FanZone at Millenium Square Leeds is too far away for them.

No games on the long weekend. I'm thinking of training them though, just to piss you off.
That's a bit rough if you start training them at that early Saturday 7 June morning hour - their chauffeur parent/guardians might want to sleep in after watching Geeeelong versus Carton the night before...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Where did you get that information from?

It would be a way to get Londoners to Covent garden I suppose but the vast majority will watch the games at home or in the pub.

I would love to see Londoners getting to Brighton in an hour. (a few might make it but not many)

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:Where did you get that information from?
Check the colourful website "Where to watch the World Cup in England". Got a fanfest in Manchester
too, with tonnes of sand trucked in to recreate a Copacabana beach atmosphere. And the games on even on the Isle of Wight during the Glastonbury festival.

ps, Brighton definitely just over an hour away from London by train - could be a good atmosphere there, watching England on the Big Screen on the beach. Should tell your Millwall mates if they don't already know.

pps, are you sure you're going to make the kids train early on the 7th June of the long weekend?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Where did you get that information from?
Check the colourful website "Where to watch the World Cup in England". Got a fanfest in Manchester
too, with tonnes of sand trucked in to recreate a Copacabana beach atmosphere. And the games on even on the Isle of Wight during the Glastonbury festival.

ps, Brighton definitely just over an hour away from London by train - could be a good atmosphere there, watching England on the Big Screen on the beach. Should tell your Millwall mates if they don't already know.

pps, are you sure you're going to make the kids train early on the 7th June of the long weekend?
See below for all of your errors:

Yes, just over an hour from London to Brighton by train but:
1: That's not an hour as you said originally
2: As I said, I'd like to see most Londoners get there by train in an hour. I know of one that could make it but that's because she's moved to Brighton now.

I don't need to tell my Millwall mates as they will be in their local pubs watching the game.

It's a long walk from the isle of wight to the Glastonbury festival.

We are training, time to be decided.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Con M wrote:

How on earth did you get that idea? Fan Zone, Fan Park, Fan Fest - doesn't matter what they're called - it's places where football fans gather together in a carnival-type atmosphere to watch World Cup games.
My apologies Con. I read adelaideblokes post a few back (no fanzone in adelaide), and misread the author.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bacon888 wrote:
Con M wrote:

My apologies Con. I read adelaideblokes post a few back (no fanzone in adelaide), and misread the author.
Why thanks for that, Bacon888. I'll shout you a bacon breakfast roll & beer or coffee.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Can't be in the eastern suburbs, there's nowhere to get something like that there.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Is Victoria square a dry zone?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote:Is Victoria square a dry zone?
Unless a special licence is organised it will be. The whole CBD is a dry zone.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Is Victoria square a dry zone?
Unless a special licence is organised it will be. The whole CBD is a dry zone.

if they're not getting a licence then, probably the worst venue possible.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stuckey wrote: Unless a special licence is organised it will be. The whole CBD is a dry zone.

if they're not getting a licence then, probably the worst venue possible.
Yes because everyone will be gasping for a beer at 7am.