Gleeson named in Division 3

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Gleeson named in Division 3

Post by God is an Englishman »

So a team that finished 8th is relegated.

Personally, I think SAASL have made the wrong decision there.

ChelseaGK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Gleeson named in Division 3

Post by ChelseaGK »

NO SH*T!

We have someone from the club on the phone with them right now.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ChelseaGK wrote:NO SH*T!

Good luck with that, hope you get somewhere and you play us this year.

ChelseaGK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ChelseaGK »

It's disconcerting knowing I personally talked to Keith or Kevin or whatever his name is, and he told me we "weren't relegated, and would be in div2 this year".

thepetulantmagpie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by thepetulantmagpie »

I heard rumours that Gleeson were moving to the Collegiate league. I guess that is not the case.
Interesting move by the league, most in Div 2 last season were thinking they just had to not be in 9th to avoid relegation.

stickhead
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by stickhead »

The decision needed to be made at the start of last season, how many teams were to be relegated. It's a joke they have gone back on their word!!!
I don't know who finished 8th in Sunday div 2. Have they also been relegated??? I'd assume they have as well. They also had 9 teams from memory.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

stickhead wrote:The decision needed to be made at the start of last season, how many teams were to be relegated. It's a joke they have gone back on their word!!!
I don't know who finished 8th in Sunday div 2. Have they also been relegated??? I'd assume they have as well. They also had 9 teams from memory.
No Beograd finished 8th but are staying in Division 2
Are you Bodo in disguise?

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

What's more of a joke is a team finishing 5th gets promoted instead off the third place team
shiraz joke!!!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

This farce becomes a bigger farce. Let's hope common sense prevails.

That said, I've heard good things about GFC this season so hope they stay down. :wink:

Johnno48
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Johnno48 »

ChelseaGK wrote:It's disconcerting knowing I personally talked to Keith or Kevin or whatever his name is, and he told me we "weren't relegated, and would be in div2 this year".
That's ordinary from the league.
Knight15 wrote:
stickhead wrote:The decision needed to be made at the start of last season, how many teams were to be relegated. It's a joke they have gone back on their word!!!
No Beograd finished 8th but are staying in Division 2
That's very ordinary.

Double standards.

IMO it wouldn't be an issue if both were relegated because on past form the league has tended to promote 3 rather than 2 for 9-team leagues but to have such inconsistency is a disgrace.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

For Sunday Division 2 last year, they told us only one would go down at the beginning of the season so we all knew, we did however get this in writing
Are you Bodo in disguise?

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Knight15 wrote:For Sunday Division 2 last year, they told us only one would go down at the beginning of the season so we all knew, we did however get this in writing
It's always been one down when restricted to 9 teams
This would be a first ....
People will critise the saasl but who is willing to step and offer time it deserves

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

bloodypassit wrote:
Knight15 wrote:For Sunday Division 2 last year, they told us only one would go down at the beginning of the season so we all knew, we did however get this in writing
People will critise the saasl but who is willing to step and offer time it deserves
Has it ???
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

bloodypassit wrote:
This is a common sense decision. They haven't even been consistent in the same season.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

Well the situation in Saturday and Sunday Division 2 are,quite different and therefore the league has not been inconsistent.
Agia Lavra 1821!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

A team withdrew/withdrawn late on. Same situation.

Bosna were deemed to be bottom, the same should have happened with africa.

I personally think all div 2 clubs (from last season) should tell the league that it's wrong. After all, it could have been any of them. GFC need to pish this all the way.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

God is an Englishman wrote:
bloodypassit wrote:
This is a common sense decision. They haven't even been consistent in the same season.
What does it say in the rules?
It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:What does it say in the rules?
I believe it says 2 down, but who are the 2? Africa and hahndorf or hahndorf and gleeson. It seems they've gone for one approach in sunday div 2 and a different one in saturday div 2.

In my mind the fairest approach is that the team in 9th and 10th goes down. As it was a 9 team league, gleeson stay up.

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

I believe it says 2 down, but who are the 2? Africa and hahndorf or hahndorf and gleeson. It seems they've gone for one approach in sunday div 2 and a different one in saturday div 2.

In my mind the fairest approach is that the team in 9th and 10th goes down. As it was a 9 team league, gleeson stay up.

Different approach in Sunday Div 2 compared to Saturday Div 2 based on 2 completely different situations. 1 team was suspended for a year, 1 team pulled out of the SAASL completely

2 teams have been relegated from Sunday Div 2 (Bosna and Macoes) and both are in Sunday div 3 this year

2 teams have been relegated from Saturday div 2 (Hahndorf and Gleeson) and both are in Sat div 3 this year.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BPBC wrote:

Different approach in Sunday Div 2 compared to Saturday Div 2 based on 2 completely different situations. 1 team was suspended for a year, 1 team pulled out of the SAASL completely

2 teams have been relegated from Sunday Div 2 (Bosna and Macoes) and both are in Sunday div 3 this year

2 teams have been relegated from Saturday div 2 (Hahndorf and Gleeson) and both are in Sat div 3 this year.

I disagree. Both teams were in the fixtures but didn't play a game! Should have been treated the same.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

God is an Englishman wrote: I disagree. Both teams were in the fixtures but didn't play a game! Should have been treated the same.
I would have thought that Bosna, to be suspended, would have had to pay their SAASL affiliation fees in 2012, otherwise they would have not been permitted to restart in Division 3 in 2013....whereas Africa Utd (?) may not have paid SAASL affiliation fees in 2012.....but I don't know the finer details !

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

Once club was suspended, the other folded.

The question is what would have happened if after their suspension Bosna then folded.

As I have previously said (possibly on another topic) the issue stems from the beginning of last year.
Agia Lavra 1821!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:Once club was suspended, the other folded.

The question is what would have happened if after their suspension Bosna then folded.

As I have previously said (possibly on another topic) the issue stems from the beginning of last year.
If Bosna had folded half of Division 4 would have been promoted :lol:
As they would have folded in 2013 not last year.

Johnno48
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Johnno48 »

Whether they are different circumstances or not it shouldn't matter.

The fact is both Africa & BOSNA pulled out for 1 reason or another so late in the pre-season they were unable to get replacements to make it a 10 team comp.

SAASL should have been on the ball from the start that Africa were struggling to get a team up. They left it late, then threw Gleeson into Div 2 to accommodate USC Lion bewilderingly dropped to Div 4 despite having 2 teams.

This was SAASL's mistake by not getting a 10th team into Div 2 from the start. Gleeson did the right thing by them by coming into to Div 2 to fill a gap, and to send them straight back down in these circumstances is very ordinary.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Toughen up ... If I recall correctly you guys finished third in Div 3 2011 and only were promoted because USC pulled out ... Budapest finished 9th in Div 2 1 point less than 8th placed USC yet still were demoted with you guys being promoted .. seems unfair but thats the way it works ....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Sacred Noodle wrote:

Toughen up ... If I recall correctly you guys finished third in Div 3 2011 and only were promoted because USC pulled out ... Budapest finished 9th in Div 2 1 point less than 8th placed USC yet still were demoted with you guys being promoted .. seems unfair but thats the way it works ....

did 8th place get relegated that year?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Sacred Noodle wrote:

did 8th place get relegated that year?
No, 9th and 10th did....the SAASL suspended Bosna, Bosna did not pull out !! ... due to legal reasons the SAASL had to assume that Bosna would comply and have 2 teams in 2013 and the reprimand for them was to be relegated. If they relegated 2 further sides from the remaining 9 there would have been 11 sides in Division 3 this season under the general 2 up 2 down principle. What happened in the Saturday Divisions last season is quite different but should have been dealt with last season.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:No, 9th and 10th did....the SAASL suspended Bosna, Bosna did not pull out !! ... due to legal reasons the SAASL had to assume that Bosna would comply and have 2 teams in 2013 and the reprimand for them was to be relegated. If they relegated 2 further sides from the remaining 9 there would have been 11 sides in Division 3 this season under the general 2 up 2 down principle. What happened in the Saturday Divisions last season is quite different but should have been dealt with last season.

I don't see it as any different at all, the principle is the same.

ChelseaGK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ChelseaGK »

And so when in the year before we came 3rd in Div3, we were asked if we wanted to fill the 3rd Div2 spot and agreed to take on the challenge. The 4th place team and 5th place team were also asked but declined. Our willingness to help out the league has bitten us in the muscat - and it could be the final time.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ChelseaGK wrote:And so when in the year before we came 3rd in Div3, we were asked if we wanted to fill the 3rd Div2 spot and agreed to take on the challenge. The 4th place team and 5th place team were also asked but declined. Our willingness to help out the league has bitten us in the muscat - and it could be the final time.
Sorry to play Devil's advocate...but !
Why has it bitten you on the muscat ? Because you didn't finish 3rd bottom ?
Gleeson had an opportunity to possibly win a 9 team Division 2 and be promoted to the Premier Division....unfortunately you didn't perform too well last season.
Was there a guarantee that you wouldn't be relegated ? Did you know 2 teams would be relegated when you were competing in 2012 ?
As far back as I can remember, the bottom team and second bottom team in a Division have been relegated and Division numbers have been adjusted by promoting teams from the lower Division ie 3rd., 4th. and sometimes 5th. With exceptions where a Division might require fieldind an A's & B's.