How's this for junior fees!

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

How's this for junior fees!

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

I understand that junior fees at South Melbourne FC (Victorian Premier League) will be $3200 + GST per player next season.
Formerly known as El Paso del Norte

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: How's this for junior fees!

Post by themessenger »

Ciudad Juarez wrote:I understand that junior fees at South Melbourne FC (Victorian Premier League) will be $3200 + GST per player next season.
are you sure it is not $490 per junior player and $390 for SSF?

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Jeepers, they must get 10 different style tracksuits at least for that!
Ignore this signature

zackadacka
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zackadacka »

That is ridiculous :shock:
ALDERSHOT TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB
THE RISING PHOENIX
SINCE 1992
Russia2018 wrote: corruption is alive and well

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

They are starting what many clubs will have to do to stay at the highest level:
  • Employ qualified staff
  • Medical staff
  • full list of equipment
  • A grade facilities
    etc
It cost money to have full time staff, someone has to pay. And the best way to have the best development is paid staff.

Good luck to South Melbourne FC, hope they are very successful with their model.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Trials last 12 weeks and it costs $490 :shock:
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

Ciudad Juarez wrote:I understand that junior fees at South Melbourne FC (Victorian Premier League) will be $3200 + GST per player next season.

guess they gotta pay for that 36 page brochure for starters!

will be very interesting to see how many football stars come out of this development program in a few years time?
Last edited by themessenger on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Sounds better than any A-League development program, but really, its only a consideration for rich kids.
Ignore this signature

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

Good for Johnny average whose daddy is a dental surgeon.

Tommy talent may have a single mother so no good for him.

Be interesting which players they end up attracting and how many of them pay all their instalments.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Freedom of choice, not only is it a great song by DEVO but something we all have. Don't like the fee structure of a club or academy - don't sign up. Don't agree with a clubs philosophy - walk away.

Kids, players and parents have a multitude of choice when it comes to playing football, use them but don't stop new ideas just because you don't like it.

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

johnydep wrote:Freedom of choice, not only is it a great song by DEVO but something we all have. Don't like the fee structure of a club or academy - don't sign up. Don't agree with a clubs philosophy - walk away.

Kids, players and parents have a multitude of choice when it comes to playing football, use them but don't stop new ideas just because you don't like it.

Good on them for trying something different, ill be surprised if it lasts longer than one season

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Bomber wrote:Jeepers, they must get 10 different style tracksuits at least for that!
Track suit?? I'd want a shiraz Armani suit!!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

paul merson wrote:
Bomber wrote:Jeepers, they must get 10 different style tracksuits at least for that!
Track suit?? I'd want a shiraz Armani suit!!
To fit your size, $3k would just about cover it! :wink:
Ignore this signature

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

Not sure, could be wrong. Wasn't it South Melbourne that got banned from Kanga Cup because of violent behaviour of parents in 2011?

mancity
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by mancity »

Im pretty sure a couple of kids have had their whole family moved from Adelaide so they could be involved in this program. Hope it comes off for them.

Toffeefox
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Toffeefox »

South Melbourne have set themselves up to be the next club to receive an A league franchise. They have spent millions on their ground and this is one of the ways they are funding it. $3200 is just the tip of the iceberg..

I know of two kids who moved to Melbourne to do this but that program has separated from SMFC and is now affiliated with the Victory. It costs approximately $10k a year to be part of it, they play tournaments in Asia and Australia and conclude the season with a tour of England and play Academy teams.

If the FFA is serious about developing the next generation of Australian international soccer stars they have to look at these programs and get the funding into the clubs to mean that purely talent is the only key criteria to entry not an ever expanding wallet first and talent second.

EzyG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by EzyG »

This is great for development in this country they should start appearing in every state
I would think from the start contracts would be involved for the sale of the kid to a European club
$$$$ for SMFC good move, this has been happening around the world for 50 years.

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Coach_Mulatinho »

Ciudad Juarez wrote:Get your facts right!

http://www.smfc.com.au/files/2013-Youth ... -Sheet.pdf
i prefer to pay 3200 for this program than any 800 in SA

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

Coach_Mulatinho wrote:

Fair enough

I'd rather put this kind of money into a fund each year to pay for my sons uni fees instead

aufc_123
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by aufc_123 »

Ciudad Juarez wrote:
Coach_Mulatinho wrote:

Fair enough

I'd rather put this kind of money into a fund each year to pay for my sons uni fees instead
But is that we he'd rather do? You can take both football and study seriously, but as football professionalism gets to the lengths of a program like SMFC's it becomes very difficult to do both. Unfortunately as junior football becomes more professional in Aus, the negatives of this will be shown on the school report card. Obviously I'm only talking about the high school years, you would probably still be able to get away with training every night in primary school.

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

What percentage of kids go on to become pro footballers in Australia?

And which kid wouldn't say they want to become a pro footballer, regardless of their ability!

I prefer to play the odds, let my kid play for fun, and try not to live my dreams through him.

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Ciudad Juarez wrote:What percentage of kids go on to become pro footballers in Australia?

And which kid wouldn't say they want to become a pro footballer, regardless of their ability!

I prefer to play the odds, let my kid play for fun, and try not to live my dreams through him.
but if your kid is selected to play youth team at any a-league team, would you tell me to go to school?

or is ability to be tennis player or any sport take him to play state teams etc... would you tell me to forget it and keep studying hard?

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

Coach_Mulatinho wrote:
Ciudad Juarez wrote:What percentage of kids go on to become pro footballers in Australia?

but if your kid is selected to play youth team at any a-league team, would you tell me to go to school?

or is ability to be tennis player or any sport take him to play state teams etc... would you tell me to forget it and keep studying hard?
I'm talking about paying thousands of dollars for coaching.

And yes, if he was playing youth league he would definitely be encouraged to work hard at school

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Ciudad Juarez wrote:
Coach_Mulatinho wrote:

And yes, if he was playing youth league he would definitely be encouraged to work hard at school
if its good coaching, if your kid as a future in football.. why not.. nothing in life is 100% sure, not even good school, good job, good wife...

Faith No More
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Faith No More »

or is ability to be tennis player or any sport take him to play state teams etc... would you tell me to forget it and keep studying hard?[/quote]

And yes, if he was playing youth league he would definitely be encouraged to work hard at school[/quote]
if its good coaching, if your kid as a future in football.. why not.. nothing in life is 100% sure, not even good school, good job, good wife...[/quote]
CM ...it sounds like you didnt get any of the above judging by your comments on this forum

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

If the family can afford it it is a good Idea....There is a lot of talent from lower income families,
I suppose they just slip through this sought of system.

It is a money making scheme in my eyes, good on them...Not much difference to Blue ribbon schools
for the rich.

Stonthialo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Stonthialo »

Choice is the key word. Don't like it move on.....High fee paying schools have many children on scholarships and people can choose to take a test to get into these schools. This soccer club has the same philosophy. Whether I agree with it or not the most important factor is quality of coaching should provide quality training. I also agree that we should not be pushing kids away from the game and that maybe clubs should have a number of community teams to help all kids play the best game in the world!
Σκατά στα μουτρα σου

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Stonthialo wrote:Choice is the key word. Don't like it move on.....High fee paying schools have many children on scholarships and people can choose to take a test to get into these schools. This soccer club has the same philosophy. Whether I agree with it or not the most important factor is quality of coaching should provide quality training. I also agree that we should not be pushing kids away from the game and that maybe clubs should have a number of community teams to help all kids play the best game in the world!
That's great.....How many scholarships do they give a year compared to full fee paying kids?