Is winning everything

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

gl1968
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Is winning everything

Post by gl1968 »

Sorry to ask a silly question
A while a go i was listening to Saturday soccer show and they were speaking to Mark Bosnich he was asked the question is winning important.
His answer was resounding yes as he explained that obviously not all will play the highest level but those who do must be understand the feeling of winning and losing as it teach them strength and increase the fighting instinct as he feels we are developing players who may not have that killer edge thus could effect them playing at a higher level.
what do you think

PS obviously player development is most important but we cannot neglect the importance of understanding the feeling of winning and losing.
[img][/img]

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Is winning everything

Post by johnydep »

gl1968 wrote:Sorry to ask a silly question
A while a go i was listening to Saturday soccer show and they were speaking to Mark Bosnich he was asked the question is winning important.
His answer was resounding yes as he explained that obviously not all will play the highest level but those who do must be understand the feeling of winning and losing as it teach them strength and increase the fighting instinct as he feels we are developing players who may not have that killer edge thus could effect them playing at a higher level.
what do you think

PS obviously player development is most important but we cannot neglect the importance of understanding the feeling of winning and losing.
Many forget the last word "understand the feeling of winning and losing".

Young players/team will learn more from experiencing all aspects of the game, training and development; win, lose and draw.

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... =9&t=53634

Hibs seven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hibs seven »

Main object of the game has always been ( and will hazard a guess that it always will be) to score more goals than the opposition, in a perfect world it would be lovely to play pretty triangles right up through the pitch capped off with a byline cut back cross and an overhead kick by the striker nestling in the stantion.

In my very humble opinion we are not doing too badly here in SA a lot of very hard work is being put in behind the scenes at clubs, very committed coaches and administrators are spending hours working out what drills to do at training, how to keep the clubs running and girls and boys are turning up week in and week out and loving every minute of it. ( look at the numbers turning out for trials every year).

When things get competitive and points matter at this point under 12, many youngsters really pick up their game beacuse they do want to win but will agree that winning with style would be even better.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

I believe we have 3 levels of junior football which cater for 6yr olds to 17yr olds.
Level 1 - FFSA
Level 2 - E&D
Level 3 - SCHOOL
I believe we have 3 levels of desire;
Fun / Social - Competitive / Pathway - More Competitive
You can assign the tag to each level.

A team who has a successful year has a great feel, kids are happy, parents are happy, club is happy that everyone else is happy.
A team that is losing every week and struggling, kids start to lose interest, parents get sick of driving all over the joint, they start to make complaints to the club, and the club goes into damage control trying to support the coach and their members.

Let's face it, clubs/teams that lose consistently also lose talented players consistently, and clubs/teams that win consistently seem to get those players.
Winning is not everything but it will cost a coach his position and the club players if they don't win enough.

So ask yourself, does winning matter? Of course it does, but that doesn't mean league titles or cups, but it does mean winning, and if at a certain time of the season they could possibly win those things then a coach and players should be allowed to try.

If someone feels that they don't need to win or don't want that competitiveness, then there are associations for that.

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

So a student is getting a C average grade and loves his school, mates and has a great time is doing ok despite being very capable of getting an A at a school with greater focus albeit via differing philosophies?
If you have a group of kids, who are taught to play/learn in a manner the club/school/coach/teacher wishes and it gets results (points/grades) then its working.Schools across the world use grading as an indicator for progress of the curriculum. (note - except in the good old us of a where the system is failing to a level that grading is becoming an embarrassment and kids hypersensitive to poor grades)

Winning on the pitch is the same, after all, if a club is continually on top or there about, then something good is happening at that club.

Clubs need to be flexible and diverse enough to cater for all types of players that join or are interested - be they talented, social or developing. (I got a bit of a paper I did on this years ago, (should dig it out)
Additionally the FFSA and FFA should be bending over backwards to assist in anyway they can.
They too need to be flexible as every club needs different forms of assistance and it should be made availalble. (the fees paid to them are more than sufficient)
Besides the very existence of the game, FFSA and FFA are dependent on the clubs.

Our issue s a game and development in Australia/South Australia ids is our national curriculum is too generic and not flexible enough for the diversities found across our nation. We are a young country and in a generational crossover point in attitudes on life.
1/6.... but still 6. :)

"you see the eye to detail,the accuracy of the pass, it's the weight of the pass and the decision making in the games, that makes top players stand out form average players" - Rene' Meulensteen,

EzyG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by EzyG »

A team that in the first 12 rounds get beaten 10.0 every week
Then the same team play the last 12 rounds and get beaten 1.0 or draw every week.

I think that would be a very successful year with out winning a game..

What about a team that has 2 kids that Score every goal every week while his team mates just watch them dribble everyone & score to win every week.

A club can only work with what kids they get at trials the loosing team coach in this case may have better developed his kids "without winning"

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

EnzoG wrote:A team that in the first 12 rounds get beaten 10.0 every week
Then the same team play the last 12 rounds and get beaten 1.0 or draw every week.

What about a team that has 2 kids that Score every goal every week while his team mates just watch them dribble everyone & score to win every week.

A club can only work with what kids they get at trials the loosing team coach in this case may have better developed his kids "without winning"
good post.
Another view point that results are critical.

"you see the eye to detail,the accuracy of the pass, it's the weight of the pass and the decision making in the games, that makes top players stand out form average players" - Rene' Meulensteen,

90mins
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by 90mins »

black wrote:

good post.

Does that also mean that if a team is winning 1or2-0 for the first 12 rounds they must now win 4or5-0 to show development?

Four-3-3
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Four-3-3 »

:lol:

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

I know this is a Junior Forum but consider this. If Adelaide United were to lose every game would crowds increase, stay the same or reduce? Winning is important.
If they were to win every game how would crowds react. I would get a little bored.

footballdad
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by footballdad »

what do you think

You have put two different questions; one in the heading, and the other in the thread:

Heading. 1. Is winning everything?
Thread. 2. Is winning important?

Answer 1. No, of course not.
Answer 2. Yes and so is losing.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

In Brazil, junior football games are played during the week when parents are working. Parents that do come must be seated at a distance. Games are played with no input from the side line.

In Australia our parents all want their kids to be winners, so most find it necessary to yell out instructions and advice from the side line. Parents also must tell the referee when they've made a mistake, even rate their performance loud enough for all to hear. Abuse is common, and FFSA Tribunal sessions are regular occurrences for players, coaches and parents.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

footballdad wrote:
what do you think

You have put two different questions; one in the heading, and the other in the thread:

Heading. 1. Is winning everything?
Thread. 2. Is winning important?

Answer 1. No, of course not.
Answer 2. Yes and so is losing.

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

90mins wrote:
black wrote:

good post.

Does that also mean that if a team is winning 1or2-0 for the first 12 rounds they must now win 4or5-0 to show development?
good post.

EzyG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by EzyG »

90mins wrote:
black wrote:

good post.

No I don't think scoring 1or2 extra goals a game is something to base ur kids team development on.
I'm talking about u/11s and under no ladders in those leagues for good reason ....We don't want 99% of the kids thinking they are failures because that didnt come top :D

footballdad
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by footballdad »

With regard to winning, another way to look at this is: What kind of team do you want your child to play in?

a. One that always wins
b. One that always looses
c. One that wins some, draws some, and loses some.

I think the best is option c. but probably the most important part is that the child has a really, really, really good coach.

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

footballdad wrote:With regard to winning, another way to look at this is: What kind of team do you want your child to play in?

a. One that always wins
b. One that always looses
c. One that wins some, draws some, and loses some.

I think the best is option c. but probably the most important part is that the child has a really, really, really good coach.
Perfect answer.

Faith No More
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Faith No More »

Depends what club you represent in SA i think.

Squizzy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Squizzy »

And the age group...
Who?... Who is but a form, followed by the function of what... And what I am, is a man in a mask!

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

in terms of development, is winning everything? No. But is breeding a winning mentality important, then yes. You want kids to hate losing, to go that extra yard in the final minutes and show the desire, hunger and passion to win football matches. These are the kids that succeed. The ones that are driven to excel. You can have all the skill in the world, but if you don't have the desire to win, its pointless.

It also depends on what you mean about 'is winning everything'. Some might say that at junior levels, certain coaches ascertain physically developed boys who excel at both strength and speed, and end up teaching them very little about the skill and technique as their physical prowess allows them to "over-run" teams. This mentality is wrong, and in this instance i believe winning is being put above development.

We also have to consider the kids. Kids play football for love and enjoyment. What kid enjoys losing every week, regardless of how well they might play? Kids develop better in winning teams. Confidence is high, they have more opportunity to express themselves, and the motivation to continue to work hard at training remains high. When kids lose, they lose passion, they stop enjoying football and they seek a new club.

Arguments can be made for both sides of the fence, but as a coach ill always put an emphasis on winning and creating a winning environment where kids are driven to excel, without compromising the technical development of the children while trying to install the correct philosophies.