Selections

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

SID
Squad Player
Squad Player

Selections

Post by SID »

Not bad when all coaches select a trialling player but are then overruled by the chairperson for past indifferences with the Father.... Sad State Of Affairs and the lad is devastated

Cobweb Rides Again
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Selections

Post by Cobweb Rides Again »

So tell me SID, in all your coaching career you have never, not picked a triallist because of your thoughts of that player or relative?

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

SID wrote:Not bad when all coaches select a trialling player but are then overruled by the chairperson for past indifferences with the Father.... Sad State Of Affairs and the lad is devastated
the parents are important. If the Father is a complete f**kwit then the club is right to keep their distance.

SID
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SID »

No I haven’t, couldn’t give a toss what the kids parents are like .
As long as he’s a good kid and deserves his spot.

BIG FELLA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BIG FELLA »

SID wrote:Not bad when all coaches select a trialling player but are then overruled by the chairperson for past indifferences with the Father.... Sad State Of Affairs and the lad is devastated
Is this the same father and son that go from club to club, father coaches for a year, has a sook and leaves or get asked to leave, tries to take most of the team with him?
the same father that if he isn't coaching he undermines the coach and tries to get the parents on side to overthrow the coach and let him take over?

maybe the coach made the call because he didn't need the crap in his team that normally comes with this father and son package?

remember that I was the one that decided he wasn't the right coach for the job four years ago, when he and his assistant both wanted to be the coach, and blew smoke up the parents asses to undermine the other, resulting in a tough year for some u12 kids that just wanted to play the game, and many of them gave up the game at that young age based on this crap!!

I know if I was chairperson I most likely would ask the coach not to select the boy, or more likely I would speak the the father ( who I would call a mate ) and ask him not to come out to trials, however the chairperson did neither, pure and simple, the kid didn't get selected, it is always a tough time for any kid not to get selected, but that is the harsh reality of football, sometimes the kid is not what the coach is looking for, no need to make up excuses, it is what happens, that's football!

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by romarios shin »

what about coaches who have been told by chairpersons that kids of volunteers/financial contributors at the club should be selected in squads...even if they are not up to scratch?
surely running a trial is so you may select the best players available?

SID
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SID »

The lads Father doesn’t / hasn’t coached
I think you are on a different tact Bigfella

BIG FELLA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BIG FELLA »

SID wrote:The lads Father doesn’t / hasn’t coached
I think you are on a different tact Bigfella

ah ok,
thanks mate, I was obviously thinking of a different player that was using a similar excuse

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

There are no valid reasons for discriminating against a junior player.
Judge a player on their merit and not irrelevant actions/behaviours.

Its not about the parents, coaches, etc - its about the kids and their development.

SID
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SID »

100% agree fball 12

paraliticandroid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by paraliticandroid »

fball12 wrote:There are no valid reasons for discriminating against a junior player.

Its not about the parents, coaches, etc - its about the kids and their development.
+1

People sometimes forget that football in Australia is a long way from the European standard when kids get signed by top clubs at a very young age.

Clubs and coaches should be focused on fostering the game, giving opportunities to all kids that come around and teach them the fundamentals, so hopefully they get to learn and love the game.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

fball12 wrote:There are no valid reasons for discriminating against a junior player.

Unfortunately it does go beyond that and I have seen parents first hand tear a team a part because of their own agendas. I would back the chairman if there was legitimate issues in the past. Of course there's always the possibility that the chairman just doesn't like him and there was no actual issue which is a totally different story.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

limozeen wrote:

Unfortunately it does go beyond that and I have seen parents first hand tear a team a part because of their own agendas. I would back the chairman if there was legitimate issues in the past. Of course there's always the possibility that the chairman just doesn't like him and there was no actual issue which is a totally different story.
isnt that chairman gone? perhaps the chairman left notes behind to accommodate the final wishes and commands?

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

magicfootball1 wrote:
limozeen wrote:

isnt that chairman gone? perhaps the chairman left notes behind to accommodate the final wishes and commands?
Oh I dunno. I was just talking hypothetically.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

Darlena
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Darlena »

As long as he’s a good kid and more
 deserves his spot.

Nap_65
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Nap_65 »

Darlena wrote:As long as he’s a good kid and more
 deserves his spot.
As per previous posts certain clubs you have presidents have too much say in selections and biased towards players who dont deserve their spots.