Training Aids

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

VidukaToYa
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Training Aids

Post by VidukaToYa »

Hey everyone, my daughter wants to play football at her school now that she is old enough, which I think is amazing. The only issue is that neither me or my wife played football as a kid (we were both Rugby players) so we have little to teach out daughter in terms of football skills. We are doing our best to help her in becoming an all around athlete, but we need to start a little bit more focused training. I am thinking of getting some training aids, but I don't know what will actually be useful and what will end up in the bottom of her equipment bag.

Since my daughter is still young (11) I don't want to go too crazy with training, but I still think that training speed and agility is important right now. I am thinking of maybe getting some cones or some agility poles, and maybe even a target. Do these seem a little much or is it just a little serious?

Edit-So I took everyone's recommendations to heart and after talking to the coach of her team and of another team in the area, there isn't much in the way of skill development they can help with. That is why I decided to get some poles, ladders and a fake goal online from http://www.used.forsale/australia/sydne ... aining-aid that we set up in the yard and have been using for the past couple days. She is having a blast and unknowingly burning off her Happy Meal at the same time!
Last edited by VidukaToYa on Sat May 20, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Training Aids

Post by geoff9559 »

If you have a backyard or a local field then they'd be good. Cones, poles and maybe a popup goal is just fine to muck around and set some stuff up. Best option is to see if the school has a soccer coach then talk to them about what the school has or could offer. An agility ladder is good to have as well. Depending on which suburb..... there are some decent academies who could provide some additional training that arent way too expensive.
But seriously just kicking the ball around whilst you and your daughter are having some time together is just as good......and an excellent start on unknowingly getting fit, having good ball control and passing / receiving skills...... Cheers Geoff9559

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

If she's new to the game all she needs is some space and a ball. Do you have a wall?

Stand 5m back from the wall and pass to herself, alternate left and right foot. Will help with her ball control and her passing. Get those two right and you're well on your way. Once she progresses, look up video's on "ball mastering", she will just need a bit of space to practice those.

SIMPLE!

Or, you can send her to someone's academy and you will get to line someone else's pocket.
Last edited by God is an Englishman on Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VidukaToYa
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by VidukaToYa »

geoff9559 wrote:If you have a backyard or a local field then they'd be good. Cones, poles and maybe a popup goal is just fine to muck around and set some stuff up. Best option is to see if the school has a soccer coach then talk to them about what the school has or could offer. An agility ladder is good to have as well. Depending on which suburb..... there are some decent academies who could provide some additional training that arent way too expensive.
But seriously just kicking the ball around whilst you and your daughter are having some time together is just as good......and an excellent start on unknowingly getting fit, having good ball control and passing / receiving skills...... Cheers Geoff9559
We live a decent distance from the school, which is why I am thinking that setting up cones and the like in one of our empty fields and also why an academy might be a little much right now. I have talked a little with the school coach and they don't have much equipment for themselves, let alone to lend out to the kids. We have been going out and spending at least an hour a day kicking the ball this past week and her skills have gotten a lot better, I think if I manage to get her some cones or poles or something it might help take her to the next level of learning.

VidukaToYa
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by VidukaToYa »

God is an Englishman wrote:If she's knew to the game all she needs is some space and a ball. Do you have a wall?

Stand 5m back from the wall and pass to herself, alternate left and right foot. Will help with her ball control and her passing. Get those two right and you're well on your way. Once she progresses, look up video's on "ball mastering", she will just need a bit of space to practice those.

SIMPLE!

Or, you can send her to someone's academy and you will get to line someone else's pocket.
I like the idea of kicking it to herself, I might be able to get her to do that on the barn wall while I do the work for the day! Me and the wife talked about an academy, but they are all far away from the house and we don't know how long our daughter will be interested in football for so that is on the back burner for now. I will definitely get her doing the passes though!

Sadye
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Sadye »

Now, you're moving, meet like-minded folk at a parkrun near you. The weekly 5K every Saturday morning is a really nice and social event. Check our Running guide for more ways and reasons to run dolphins pearl 
.There are other ways to get going at home - grab that old skipping rope or put on some music and dance. Getting your groove on for 15 minutes not only works your heart, it will put a smile on your face. Or shut the curtains and try this belly dance routine.

GawlerEaglesFC
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by GawlerEaglesFC »

Join her up to a local club with a MiniRoos program. It's great that she's playing soccer at school but often it's more an activity than a sport :)