Junior coaches too biased favouring son

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Junior coaches too biased favouring son

Post by hurlcrook »

Sound familiar?
Anyone got similar stories?

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Junior coaches too biased favouring son

Post by Stitch This »

hurlcrook wrote:Sound familiar?
Anyone got similar stories?
Contact the Advertiser, I'm sure they are looking for a good headline for tomorrow morning.
Time for some righteous indignation

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

what about when the opposite happens?..( i dont have kids by the way)

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Agree here.

Or clubs favouring favourite sons of cash cow committee members.

DMT
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by DMT »

I saw an incident this morning at a junior game. I can't believe some parents. Really crazy.

Pert
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Pert »

See it all the time.. Committee members putting their own sons into paid teams when they obviously aren't old or good enough.. They have to realise senior football is totally professional.. not there to keep parents happy

Pert
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Pert »

It actually destroys clubs very quickly

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Pert wrote:It actually destroys clubs very quickly
So which clubs would they be?

Pert
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Pert »

You can just about tell by looking at disasters over the past few years.. Professional clubs don't self destruct.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Pert wrote:You can just about tell by looking at disasters over the past few years..
How hard is it to name them or are you just talking bollocks?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stitch This wrote:
Pert wrote:It actually destroys clubs very quickly
So which clubs would they be?
You obviously weren't there when Paul Giordano was playing centre forward :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Pert
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Pert »

Naming them is disrespectful.. I'd prefer to move to another club.. professional clubs can cop criticism & make it into positive.. I've help board meetings.. those who agree all the time bring nothing to business meetings.. Same thing in clubs.. They don't have to love each other, but they do have to work together

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Pert wrote:Naming them is disrespectful..
So none then. Just needed to be sure :P

Pert
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Pert »

Stitch This wrote:
Pert wrote:Naming them is disrespectful..
So none then. Just needed to be sure :P
I know most clubs are good.. You're a bit dense to draw the conclusion of "no clubs".. Forum rules are we aren't disrespectful

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

what about when the parent is the best coach available .... i agree its open to exploitation but i haven't seen this at my club.

if anything the opposite.

Pert
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Pert »

Some parents make fantastic coaches.. they treat their own as just another team member.. that makes them even more fantastic

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ikon wrote:what about when the parent is the best coach available .... i agree its open to exploitation but i haven't seen this at my club.

Often, the only one willing to do it.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
ikon wrote:what about when the parent is the best coach available .... i agree its open to exploitation but i haven't seen this at my club.

In most cases yes...but i'm referring to a great coach who is unbiased ,genuinely loves the game and promotes player development ..being extra hard on his son so he doesn't have to hear the crap..90%of junior coaches are parents..how many are forced to miss watching their kids play to coach another team.

I know of least 3 coaches who are the best coaches for their kids team but are forced to coach another team because clubs don't want the possible ramifications of parent unrest, there comes a point when this parent steps back and re-focuses on his son only and no others.. and finally a good coach is lost.

It doesn't take much to pick the good from the bad and the ugly.

Clubs need to stand firm and back good coaches.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ikon wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

In most cases yes...but i'm referring to a great coach who is unbiased ,genuinely loves the game and promotes player development ..being extra hard on his son so he doesn't have to hear the crap..90%of junior coaches are parents..how many are forced to miss watching their kids play to coach another team.

I know of least 3 coaches who are the best coaches for their kids team but are forced to coach another team because clubs don't want the possible ramifications of parent unrest, there comes a point when this parent steps back and re-focuses on his son only and no others.. and finally a good coach is lost.

It doesn't take much to pick the good from the bad and the ugly.

Clubs need to stand firm and back good coaches.
Not always, but very often, the children of the good coaches are amongst the better players anyway as they've had years of one on one inculcation at home.
Danny Blanchflower

Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by 2002 »

If a club chooses to pay a coach, the coach has an obligation to pick the best squad and then provide equal game time to all players. If his kid is one of the best 15 then no problems, and this is where a good technical director should be given the final word. If his kid is not he should not be in team

If the club chooses to engage volunteer coaches that spend their own time and money on qualifications, equipment and offer good sessions, then surely for the mans own benefit it does not hurt to allow a bit of leeway and let him coach his kid.

I know I would rather have a really good coach doing my son, who brings his kid into the team, than have a poor coach who has no son in the team.

Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by 2002 »

Bigeest problem for me is when the kids have the same coach irrespective of who it is for 5 or 6 years, they need to have a new coach at least every 2 years, differant perpective.

Would you like you kid to have the same school teacher form reception to year 7 ???

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

Some kids should find a new parent every year or so because the parent that watches their kid each week in ruining their soccer.
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Had to smile about this topic. Had some personal experiences with over-compensating and giving the least amount of playing time to a capable offspring in order to appease whingeing parents.

The missus was coaching our first-born daughter's team to a Grand Final win and gave our our kid the least amount of playing time to appease those parents. Our kid was in tears privately at home afterwards at home, knowing she was better than some team mates, but not even given equal playing time.

Fortunately other neutral selectors chose her for a representative S.A. Under 15 State team which played interstate.

I stupidly fell for the same idiocy when I constantly gave an offspring the least amount of playing time to appease some baying parents of our Under 11 soccer-football team. In one instance when one feral parent tried to organize a team revolt, I stupidly hurt our own child's feelings by leaving him home, going to Olympic's ground to coach the team & taking the wind out of the revolt by having more playing time for all the other kids by declaring our child was at home 'unwell'.

Later that youngster rose through the ranks, chosen from 'B' teams into junior 'A' teams by other coaches, then into U19s, into Reserves, then in the State High school side with Daniel & Matthew Mullen, Chris Atsikbasis, Fortunato Filletti & others, and finally got a few games in his Club's senior team as well.

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

unfortunately this does happen everywhere in way or another, alot of the time its behind closed doors and too many parents think their kid is the next beckham. i do feel sorry for alot of junior coaches with this burden and pressure sometimes cause its bloody frustrating when all your trying to do is do the job the club is asking. 'would be nice' if there was rules and penalties for parents or the like for interfering with the coaches plans, no matter how good or bad the coach is.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

mountain > molehill

The moyesiah
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The moyesiah »

2002 wrote:Bigeest problem for me is when the kids have the same coach irrespective of who it is for 5 or 6 years, they need to have a new coach at least every 2 years, differant perpective.

Would you like you kid to have the same school teacher form reception to year 7 ???

if that teacher taught my child yes. I remember coaching my son and then said that exact same thing, 'go get coached by someone different, experience a new side', that year was the worse season he had ever had, and nearly quit the sport.
Now that's not every example, but I'm sure there are many. We must remember that this would be a true statement if we had true coaches, unfortunately these guys are few and far between, so find someone who is good and committed and be happy.

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

Just parents making excuses and causing trouble within while trying to fulfil their own dreams through their child and would benefit better just playing school football. .There are obviously bad apples in the coaches & child scenario but like mentioned above usually the coach (child) player is treated harsher, given less time and rotated around their most ideal position to keep others happy when in fact that child goes to private soccer clinics, club training and private 1 on 1 with their father coach in spare time because they have learnt the love of the game through their parent. The whole reason that parent is coaching is for the love and development of the game.
You all know how it starts - registration day
"Hi I want to join my kids up to your Under 7's."
Club rep " ok fine, sign here, pay here."
Club rep and parent get speaking and get to know each other and next minute club rep realises parent played the game and says.
"We are looking for a coach you want to do it."
Then the rest is history team starts it progresses and then another parent arks up as their not happy.
Answer is your child is not right for that team and coach scenario move on and find a team that doesn't have a parent / child scenario.
LIVERPOOL FC *****

kamikaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by kamikaze »

:D

Kings Ransom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Kings Ransom »

Some kids should find a new parent every year or so because the parent that watches their kid each week in ruining their soccer.

:lol:

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

I coach and have a son in the team. We rotate our subs so each player gets equal amount of time. I don’t get paid for the privilege, if a parent has any issues they are quite welcome to talk to me about it on a wet Thursday night in June, when I’m soaked to the skin during training. I am sure there are some parents who are not 100% happy and that goes for the majority of clubs.