pathways into coaching/managing.

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

Chris35
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

pathways into coaching/managing.

Post by Chris35 »

I'm 20 years old and wanting to get into coaching and eventually, managing sides. My problem is I have no idea on hiw to get to my goals, I ha e looked at ffsa and there is nothing on coaching. I have coached two teams before but am strugglI g as to where to go next. If anyone has any information on either or both please pass it on. Also if anyone knows clubs willing to take on an assistant or anything g like it would be great as well.

reddevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: pathways into coaching/managing.

Post by reddevil »

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hudsona »

Chris35 wrote:I'm 20 years old and wanting to get into coaching and eventually, managing sides. My problem is I have no idea on hiw to get to my goals, I ha e looked at ffsa and there is nothing on coaching. I have coached two teams before but am strugglI g as to where to go next. If anyone has any information on either or both please pass it on. Also if anyone knows clubs willing to take on an assistant or anything g like it would be great as well.
which part of the city do you live in Chris?

Toffeefox
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Toffeefox »

Chris,
If you are serious about developing as a coach I may have an opportunity for you. I am the Junior coordinator for a club in the FFSA, my job is to find and develop coaches for our club and I do have some opportunities for new blood as an assistant, in fact one of them would be assistant to me for an U9 team.

There is plenty of literature out there to start on the FFA pathway and there are several courses running in Adelaide over the forth coming season

If you are interested respond to this email and I will organise for you to come down to te club and we can discuss it further.

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Coach_Mulatinho »

Chris35 wrote:I'm 20 years old and wanting to get into coaching and eventually, managing sides. My problem is I have no idea on hiw to get to my goals, I ha e looked at ffsa and there is nothing on coaching. I have coached two teams before but am strugglI g as to where to go next. If anyone has any information on either or both please pass it on. Also if anyone knows clubs willing to take on an assistant or anything g like it would be great as well.
hey contact me, i will provide you good environment to learn. are you looking to coach junior or senior?

Chris35
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chris35 »

Thanks a lot everyone, I live in the north for future reference.

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Coach_Mulatinho »

hudsona wrote:

leave him for me please .....

Steelinho
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Steelinho »

Coach_Mulatinho wrote:
hudsona wrote:

leave him for me please .....
He's a 20-year-old that wants to coach, not a piece of food on a plate.

As for how to start coaching, start by doing some coaching courses, to get - at the very least - an idea on what you should be doing once you take a position. Course information can be found on both the FFSA and FFA websites. (Under 'Game Development')

Allow yourself some options. Speak to different clubs. There will be several looking for coaches, particularly junior coaches. Pick the one that sounds most appealing to you; not for monetary gain, but what they actually provide in terms of a coaching environment. Look for a club that will actually respect their coaches and respect you for offering your own time to coach, rather than those looking to just fill numbers/a bar tab.

The rest is up to you. How far you go, the decisions you make from there, will draw up how much you actually achieve.

Out of curiosity; why do you want to coach, why do you want to manage?

Chris35
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chris35 »

Thanks a lot for all the advice it surely will help me on my journey.

In regards to your question steelinho, I have noticed as I have gotten older how much I truly love football. If I am going ti be happy in my life I must work within football. My ambitions of making a career out of playing seem gone. As I have matured more around the game I have started to appreciate the aspects of coaching/managing. The idea of it fascinates me and with my increasing knowledge of the game it seems coaching and I are the perfect match. I have realised that everyday I learn more about the game and feel this very well could be pathway for myself.

sufc13s
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sufc13s »

As for how to start coaching, start by doing some coaching courses, to get - at the very least - an idea on what you should be doing once you take a position. Course information can be found on both the FFSA and FFA websites. (Under 'Game Development')

Allow yourself some options. Speak to different clubs. There will be several looking for coaches, particularly junior coaches. Pick the one that sounds most appealing to you; not for monetary gain, but what they actually provide in terms of a coaching environment. Look for a club that will actually respect their coaches and respect you for offering your own time to coach, rather than those looking to just fill numbers/a bar tab.

The rest is up to you. How far you go, the decisions you make from there, will draw up how much you actually achieve.

monetary gain in juniors? I wasnt aware that clubs did that I thought it was all for the love of passing on lnowledge.

dpitfield
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Football coaching/managing.

Post by dpitfield »

From my perspective the easiest way to get into coaching (and the cheapest) was to read plenty of coaching books to start with. Try coaching a local football team or 2. Then I would recommend the FA courses. I have seen some others including the US USSF and NSCAA courses and not been impressed that much. UEFA is involved with the FA coaching programs I believe, so they are quality.
Darren
http://www.professionalsoccercoaching.com
Soccer Coaching and Drills

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

dpitfield

From my perspective the easiest way to get into coaching (and the cheapest) was to read plenty of coaching books to start with. Try coaching a local football team or 2. Then I would recommend the FA courses. I have seen some others including the US USSF and NSCAA courses and not been impressed that much. UEFA is involved with the FA coaching programs I believe, so they are quality.

no offence buddy...but reading a book on nuclear physics doesn't mean you can operate a reactor (ala Homer)...

best thing to do would be.....

put your hand up and take on a junior team and get yourself an assistant (if confident)
put your hand up and offer to be an experienced coach's assistant (if not confident)

in the meantime.....read about coaching, do some courses.....and collect resources.

oh yeah.....and listen to all the advice from the experts on here......especially after an Adl utd loss.... :lol:

theres no better way to learn other than by 'doing'....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill