Coach Poaching

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

FUBAR
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Coach Poaching

Post by FUBAR »

Do clubs do this?

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Coach Poaching

Post by Big Mac »

FUBAR wrote:Do clubs do this?
Sometimes a coach is fried or boiled, occasionally scrambled, not sure about poached. :)
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

FUBAR
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FUBAR »

Big Mac wrote:
Sometimes a coach is fried or boiled, occasionally scrambled, not sure about poached. :)
so theres no hollandaise sauce?

no but seriously, do any junior clubs out there go out and approach coaching to join their club??

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

FUBAR wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

no but seriously, do any junior clubs out there go out and approach coaching to join their club??
not often but it has happened

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

no club person will come on here and admit it but ive seen it many times, some also poach coaches that can bring players with them....

FUBAR
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FUBAR »

by no means i want anyone to name names or clubs that may have done it.

so if it has happened, and this is where i was leading too, what incentives do clubs offer junior coaches to go to their club. i can understand why a club may want a particular coach (ability and or players) but whats in it for the coach to leave his current role for the same role elsewhere?

(not looking to start any fires, just an honest question)

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

that i dont really know for sure, i doubt it would have anything to do with money.....im assuming the coach would be given the chance to have freedom to do what he likes rather than to be told what to do or who he has to play....some coaches could be given a chance to coach at a higher level....or have a new challenge in a different environment..... (thats my useless opinion)

FUBAR
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FUBAR »

rossonero wrote:that i dont really know for sure, i doubt it would have anything to do with money.....im assuming the coach would be given the chance to have freedom to do what he likes rather than to be told what to do or who he has to play....some coaches could be given a chance to coach at a higher level....or have a new challenge in a different environment..... (thats my useless opinion)
useless :lol: :lol: but good!. thanks

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

FUBAR wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Absolutely, yes!

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The Kings Jesta »

A position may be appealing to a coach not just due to who they could bring with them but what is at the club they are going to already. e.g. if i can bring the leagues best attack to the club with the best defence it's a win win situation for coach and new club.
The ability to start a long term project can also be appealing (see Guardiola to Bayern)

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

The Kings Jesta wrote:A position may be appealing to a coach not just due to who they could bring with them but what is at the club they are going to already. e.g. if i can bring the leagues best attack to the club with the best defence it's a win win situation for coach and new club.
The ability to start a long term project can also be appealing (see Guardiola to Bayern)
What about the win win for all the kids/players involved?

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

johnydep wrote:
The Kings Jesta wrote:A position may be appealing to a coach not just due to who they could bring with them but what is at the club they are going to already. e.g. if i can bring the leagues best attack to the club with the best defence it's a win win situation for coach and new club.
What about the win win for all the kids/players involved?
At the end of the day it's their choice whether they follow a coach or not. If a club lets go of / does not try hard enough to hold on to it's best coaches, they need to be aware that where the coach goes some players may follow.
As for the players who are already at the club the new coach arrives at, they will need to demonstrate their abilities during the trials (as every club holds them).
It's up to the club/junior committee of the club to determine if the coach, prior to hiring them, is allowed to let go of players who are already at the club and replace them with new players.
I believe in growing a group of players together from as early as possible and staying loyal to them as they stay loyal to the club. However, when players are trying to make ages 15 and above, especially at Premier League clubs, they need to be aware that they need to maintain the standard that their 1st team does e.g. a top Premier League club should be producing or finding the top junior players to fill their ranks in years to come.
There's no point in holding on to players who will not make the grade in 2-3 yrs time at the senior levels (1st/res/U18) when they could be informed by that stage to try another club. Holding on to those players means their just there to fill the bank with their fees.
For the best players it's a win win as they will become a squad of talented players playing for a coach they want to play for (the healthiest situation for a team)
For the players who have new competition in the trials it's a win win as they will get to test themselves against equal or better players.
For the players who will not make the cut in the junior level it's a win win as they will be advised early enough that another club/lower level would be better for them and they can join a new set of players in the junior ranks that their new club can bring up together and in to the senior set up.

A little of topic, but one of my biggest gripes is clubs that hold on to players just for the fees.

Huge1
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Huge1 »

I like to be poached in red wine with vanilla ice cream :D

EzyG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by EzyG »

FUBAR wrote:by no means i want anyone to name names or clubs that may have done it.

so if it has happened, and this is where i was leading too, what incentives do clubs offer junior coaches to go to their club. i can understand why a club may want a particular coach (ability and or players) but whats in it for the coach to leave his current role for the same role elsewhere?

This is going on everyday of the week FUBAR it's just part of football.I'm not saying it's good or bad.
It starts with a joke or a chat & the next thing u know the kid or coach or assistant has changed clubs at the end of the year. Just like the transfer window but with out the money.

For some it works out better.... For some not

FUBAR
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FUBAR »

There more I'm around jnr football the more I see that this happens. It makes sense, why wouldn't a club want to have the best players and coaches at their clubs.

What makes a good coach?? Well that's a whole new topic there.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

EnzoG wrote:
FUBAR wrote:by no means i want anyone to name names or clubs that may have done it.

This is going on everyday of the week FUBAR it's just part of football. I'm not saying it's good or bad.
It starts with a joke or a chat & the next thing u know the kid or coach or assistant has changed clubs at the end of the year. Just like the transfer window but with out the money.

For some it works out better.... For some not
Between adults and coaches is one thing.

But when it comes to kids ... If anything it shows the moral integrity of the person, and if it happens on a continual basis it is also a reflection of the club. Some kids are even targeted at school.

A club can not be blamed for what an individual coach/person may do or say to coax young players, however, they can be a guide and leader.

Too many young kids are being 'lead up the garden path', only to find out the hard way and be disappointed. It's morally wrong, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's pushing the boundaries of legality in regards to minors.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I'd have no probs with my club trying to recruit the best coaches possible, as long as its for their coaching ablity not because they can bring 'so many players'.

Im sure the parents paying their kids fees would hope the club are doing their best to have the best coaches there too.

Player poaching in juniors is another story completely.

DMT
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by DMT »

Why do you ask? Are you poaching or the one being poached?

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

The Kings Jesta wrote:The ability to start a long term project can also be appealing (see Guardiola to Bayern)
Wasn't Bayern European champions when Guardiola took them over?
That being the case I would imagine that the project had already started without him.

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Old Redback wrote:
The Kings Jesta wrote:The ability to start a long term project can also be appealing (see Guardiola to Bayern)
That being the case I would imagine that the project had already started without him.
The project was not the winning of titles but the changing of style and culture of the club and its players.
You would say they are stronger now than they were 12 months ago.
I'm sure he is looking to have a major influence on their youth academy too, which is a long term project in itself.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

The Kings Jesta wrote:
Old Redback wrote:
The project was not the winning of titles but the changing of style and culture of the club and its players.
You would say they are stronger now than they were 12 months ago.
I'm sure he is looking to have a major influence on their youth academy too, which is a long term project in itself.
I wouldn't say that.

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Correct, Bayern are 1 point and -9 GD worse off that last season. However, Dortmund are 4 points better off, so that can play a part in Bayerns table looking slightly weaker. Still champions of Germany by a mile though. To beat them this year, Madrid had to spend over 100mil pounds (mostly on Bale). This transfer window will be very interesting for Bayern though. Lewandowski coming in already confirmed, so what happens to Mandzukic? Gotze wants out according to reports.
Transfer window is a topic for another area, but managing/coaching big squads full of talent would be an interesting course to take as part of the coaching licences.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

One of the biggest problems with Football in SA is that no club's are developing a system throughout their club as tghey are all following the "win at all costs" dogma.

We need to develop different systems to expand the base of development.

Even if each state had a different system it would go some way towards our national development.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Old Master wrote:One of the biggest problems with Football in SA is that no club's are developing a system throughout their club as tghey are all following the "win at all costs" dogma.

We need to develop different systems to expand the base of development.

Even if each state had a different system it would go some way towards our national development.
100% agree with you. I'm yet to hear of/see a club select it's junior coaches based on an overall philosophy of the club, rather than what they did at their last club results wise. This also extends to the 1st Team, Ressies and 18s coaching staff (though now with the more stringent licence requirements, could become a case of who's qualified on paper rather than on the track).