Need for more game play

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

footballnut
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Need for more game play

Post by footballnut »

I think at junior level, say from U10's, there is a need for more game play, the kids are training hard but just get at most maybe 30 minutes of play on a Sunday. They don’t get to really put in play what they learn at training, they need more game time, it doesn’t have to be structured, just play football. I know my lad just wants to get out there and play football as much as he can, he is itching to play and not just train. Is there a possibility we can start something where kids between 10 and 12 just rock up, mix up and just play football, something like Saturday afternoons at some oval, let’s say something central like Adelaide uni ovals near the zoo. Is this something people can be interested in?

tevez.
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Need for more game play

Post by tevez. »

footballnut wrote:I think at junior level, say from U10's, there is a need for more game play, the kids are training hard but just get at most maybe 30 minutes of play on a Sunday. They don’t get to really put in play what they learn at training, they need more game time, it doesn’t have to be structured, just play football. I know my lad just wants to get out there and play football as much as he can, he is itching to play and not just train. Is there a possibility we can start something where kids between 10 and 12 just rock up, mix up and just play football, something like Saturday afternoons at some oval, let’s say something central like Adelaide uni ovals near the zoo. Is this something people can be interested in?
Organise within your club more scratch matches on training nights.
U10s vs another U10 team, or U10 vs U11 team etc

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Is there a possibility we can start something where kids between 10 and 12 just rock up, mix up and just play football, something like Saturday afternoons at some oval, let’s say something central like Adelaide uni ovals near the zoo. Is this something people can be interested in?
or.....we can encourage children to do what we used to do.....meet at the local park (no adults), set up a couple of goals using jumpers, pick teams (and yes the best got chosen first) and played until it got dark......oh yeah, we also kept score thus there where winners and losers

there is too much 'structured' play and adult intervention as it is.....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:
Is there a possibility we can start something where kids between 10 and 12 just rock up, mix up and just play football, something like Saturday afternoons at some oval, let’s say something central like Adelaide uni ovals near the zoo. Is this something people can be interested in?
or.....we can encourage children to do what we used to do.....meet at the local park (no adults), set up a couple of goals using jumpers, pick teams (and yes the best got chosen first) and played until it got dark......oh yeah, we also kept score thus there where winners and losers

there is too much 'structured' play and adult intervention as it is.....
Insert mild applause here. :)
Ignore this signature

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

footballnut wrote:I think at junior level, say from U10's, there is a need for more game play, the kids are training hard but just get at most maybe 30 minutes of play on a Sunday. They don’t get to really put in play what they learn at training, they need more game time, it doesn’t have to be structured, just play football. I know my lad just wants to get out there and play football as much as he can, he is itching to play and not just train. Is there a possibility we can start something where kids between 10 and 12 just rock up, mix up and just play football, something like Saturday afternoons at some oval, let’s say something central like Adelaide uni ovals near the zoo. Is this something people can be interested in?
This is why Australia will never produce a decent quantity of footballers playing at the top level. Have a listen to the Wayne Rooney podcast on BBC and get a feel for the hours he was putting in as a kid. He was playing 4 hours + per day. There just isn’t a culture out here where kids use all their free time practicing or playing games with mates