Various club trials......

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Various club trials......

Post by geoff9559 »

Am gobsmacked that so many clubs have Junior Trials on the Friday 28th September. This is the last day of school term, I cant see many kids wanting to go out or for that matter parents wanting to take them out when they might be packing or even travelling for the holidays.

But then which is worse? having trials on the last day of school term or in the case of one club I just noted - having trials during the school holidays!

I dont think many people had term calendars out when they did the decision making of when to have trials.

cheers

Geoff9559

Maldini
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Various club trials......

Post by Maldini »

geoff9559 wrote:Am gobsmacked that so many clubs have Junior Trials on the Friday 28th September. This is the last day of school term, I cant see many kids wanting to go out or for that matter parents wanting to take them out when they might be packing or even travelling for the holidays.

But then which is worse? having trials on the last day of school term or in the case of one club I just noted - having trials during the school holidays!

I dont think many people had term calendars out when they did the decision making of when to have trials.

cheers

Geoff9559
Most I know about have been this past week and next week, before holidays...
What clubs are waiting til the week after?

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

next week is the last week of school term. Raiders are mid holidays

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

so next week being the last week of school term, there's quite a number with trials on the Friday night - 28th September....last day of school.

I just cant see how clubs could have overlooked this and not made changes.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

What are you on about? It’s always the week before school holidays. FFSA have set the date and 90% of clubs are holding trials next week.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Pie and Bovril wrote:What are you on about? It’s always the week before school holidays. FFSA have set the date and 90% of clubs are holding trials next week.
How can the FFSA dictate when trials are?

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:What are you on about? It’s always the week before school holidays. FFSA have set the date and 90% of clubs are holding trials next week.
sorry, they dictate that trials cannot start before 25th of September

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Pie and Bovril wrote:
sorry, they dictate that trials cannot start before 25th of September
How can they dictate that either?

I know one club that has already had 3 trials.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

God is an Englishman wrote: How can they dictate that either?

they always have. Senior trials can commence but not juniors. This was sent a couple of weeks ago.

FFSA reminds all clubs, (in accordance with the Junior Football Calendars set in January 2018) that all Junior Trials are to commence no earlier than Tuesday September 25th 2018. Trials cannot commence on the Monday 24th September.

All clubs that have posted stating trials will start on Monday 24th September must change their dates.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Pie and Bovril wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: How can they dictate that either?

they always have. Senior trials can commence but not juniors. This was sent a couple of weeks ago.

FFSA reminds all clubs, (in accordance with the Junior Football Calendars set in January 2018) that all Junior Trials are to commence no earlier than Tuesday September 25th 2018. Trials cannot commence on the Monday 24th September.

All clubs that have posted stating trials will start on Monday 24th September must change their dates.
Who are they to dictate that?

I still know of one club that has had their trials for a junior side already.

Club's should be able to trial when they want.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Why not give the kids a break and then start the trials? oh yeh that's right all the clubs want the cash injection

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Rookie wrote:Why not give the kids a break and then start the trials? oh yeh that's right all the clubs want the cash injection
And? Once dates are set it makes sense that clubs will get on board around that time so as not risking being left short/behind, or with all the quality already stitched up etc.
Cash deposits are also a necessity these days as in the past you get those who "commit" only to then knick off and then stuff the numbers up. Most clubs have a refund policy which depend on circumstances, so at least this is transparent up front.
Lastly, how about giving the volunteers a break at the club for a bit? At least at this time of year the current season is just about over, so everyone hangs around another couple weeks, get it over and done with and then we can all have a break.
Ignore this signature

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Bomber wrote:
Rookie wrote:Why not give the kids a break and then start the trials? oh yeh that's right all the clubs want the cash injection
And? Once dates are set it makes sense that clubs will get on board around that time so as not risking being left short/behind, or with all the quality already stitched up etc.
Cash deposits are also a necessity these days as in the past you get those who "commit" only to then knick off and then stuff the numbers up. Most clubs have a refund policy which depend on circumstances, so at least this is transparent up front.
Lastly, how about giving the volunteers a break at the club for a bit? At least at this time of year the current season is just about over, so everyone hangs around another couple weeks, get it over and done with and then we can all have a break.
Fair point Bomber

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Leave it too long and you only get the people who have been turned down elsewhere. However, a gap should be there to give kids a chance to recover from any niggles and enable optimum performance at trials. I saw a few kids go down injured in last weeks trials with existing injuries that hadn't had enough time to recover fully.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Leave it too long and you only get the people who have been turned down elsewhere. However, a gap should be there to give kids a chance to recover from any niggles and enable optimum performance at trials. I saw a few kids go down injured in last weeks trials with existing injuries that hadn't had enough time to recover fully.
which club is holding junior trials during the season?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Pie and Bovril wrote:
I'm not a grass :D

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Agree i know at our club tonigt for the 12s - 14s there at at least half a dozen kids missing due to injuries, i suppose you will never win though

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

Pie and Bovril wrote:
One club invited players from outside the club to participate in an internal practice session/training game during this past season. Whether that counts as a trial is open to conjecture.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Migrant Land wrote: One club invited players from outside the club to participate in an internal practice session/training game during this past season. Whether that counts as a trial is open to conjecture.
lots of U15’s, U16’s trialling for 18’s which is fine. I’m sure there are internal trials as well but I’m yet to find a club which has advertised external junior trials before the season finished.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Pie and Bovril wrote:
Migrant Land wrote: One club invited players from outside the club to participate in an internal practice session/training game during this past season. Whether that counts as a trial is open to conjecture.
lots of U15’s, U16’s trialling for 18’s which is fine. I’m sure there are internal trials as well but I’m yet to find a club which has advertised external junior trials before the season finished.
One of them had it on their Facebook account.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Lets face it - if a current player is injured and unable to trial, surely they already know of his level, therefore would come into calculations anyway. I always saw trials merely as to check on anyone new to the club who might add considerable value to team or fill a gap. Rarely would you turn over an entire team unless there was a mass exodus. Such is the process and apart from maybe timing of these trials, nothing needs to really change.
Ignore this signature

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

The injection of cash to support a senior team bloated by egos and over paid players paid for by the juniors fees.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Bomber wrote:Lets face it - if a current player is injured and unable to trial, surely they already know of his level, therefore would come into calculations anyway. I always saw trials merely as to check on anyone new to the club who might add considerable value to team or fill a gap. Rarely would you turn over an entire team unless there was a mass exodus. Such is the process and apart from maybe timing of these trials, nothing needs to really change.
Agree
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by romarios shin »

billy the kid wrote:The injection of cash to support a senior team bloated by egos and over paid players paid for by the juniors fees.
exactly right and i bet some clubs are taking players and their parents cash knowing the kid is not good enough.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

romarios shin wrote:
billy the kid wrote:The injection of cash to support a senior team bloated by egos and over paid players paid for by the juniors fees.
exactly right and i bet some clubs are taking players and their parents cash knowing the kid is not good enough.
not good enough for what?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Lets face it - if a current player is injured and unable to trial, surely they already know of his level, therefore would come into calculations anyway. I always saw trials merely as to check on anyone new to the club who might add considerable value to team or fill a gap. Rarely would you turn over an entire team unless there was a mass exodus. Such is the process and apart from maybe timing of these trials, nothing needs to really change.

What if it's a new coach, or the kid was playing JSL, or he's looking to go up a year, two or even three?

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

What if it's a new coach, or the kid was playing JSL, or he's looking to go up a year, two or even three?
Even so the club should be aware of his ability and have planned accordingly.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

limozeen wrote:

Even so the club should be aware of his ability and have planned accordingly.
You would certainly think this would be the case. I know of one coach who moved up to the JPL and was seen at quite a few JPL games in the latter half of the season watching all the current players. I've also seen new coaches who have not ever been seen and known of old coaches who left without passing any information on.