Farcical Situation at major club juniors

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Farcical Situation at major club juniors

Post by Sushi »

One of the bigger clubs will struggle to field both a JPL (div 1) and JSL team this week or next.
I don't think they've ever forfeited a game in their history but that may be about to change.
The natives are furious with what's been happening with selections- the coach can't even pick his own team because he keeps being overruled.

tevez.
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Farcical Situation at major club juniors

Post by tevez. »

Why?

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

alfieboy wrote:One of the bigger clubs will struggle to field both a JPL (div 1) and JSL team this week or next.
I don't think they've ever forfeited a game in their history but that may be about to change.
The natives are furious with what's been happening with selections- the coach can't even pick his own team because he keeps being overruled.
Adelaide City?

upsidedown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by upsidedown »

How many of the clubs that have both jsl and jpl teams in the same age group change their teams much weekly? From what little i know i would expect that only one or 2 players every week get changed between teams week on week.

A few years ago somebody told me metro and maybe cumberland have their squad train together during the week and then pick the Sunday teams on a friday night. Not sure how true that is or was but hasnt been my experience at the few clubs we have been at. Once the 2 teams are picked around March, jsl and jpl train with their respective coaches and their isnt a lot of cross over during the year.

This sounds like somebody senior in the club meddling wth the teams or no confidence in a particular coach. Somebody trying to undermine a coach cause their son isnt getting enough playing time? Wouldnt be the first time.

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

upsidedown wrote:How many of the clubs that have both jsl and jpl teams in the same age group change their teams much weekly? From what little i know i would expect that only one or 2 players every week get changed between teams week on week.

A few years ago somebody told me metro and maybe cumberland have their squad train together during the week and then pick the Sunday teams on a friday night. Not sure how true that is or was but hasnt been my experience at the few clubs we have been at. Once the 2 teams are picked around March, jsl and jpl train with their respective coaches and their isnt a lot of cross over during the year.

This sounds like somebody senior in the club meddling wth the teams or no confidence in a particular coach. Somebody trying to undermine a coach cause their son isnt getting enough playing time? Wouldnt be the first time.
It's a weird situation, but they got away with it so far because till now, the natives haven't had the ballys to make a stand, for fear of being shafted. Now that the situation is a farce, they got nothing to lose so that many are talking about walking out.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

What age group?
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

upsidedown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by upsidedown »

If the club doesnt deal with the situation then maybe the penny will drop when 60 percent of the players don't come back next year. Or not, they may just lay the blame on the parents and their 'expectations'. Been there before.

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

It's sad that a club of so many good people can be hijacked by a group of so few.
Despite numerous warnings, the top brass have allowed it to happen.
Players are getting demoralized and lost confidence.
The coach himself , who should not have been appointed ,has no say, and this does the boys no good at all.
Last edited by Sushi on Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

upsidedown wrote:If the club doesnt deal with the situation then maybe the penny will drop when 60 percent of the players don't come back next year. Or not, they may just lay the blame on the parents and their 'expectations'. Been there before.
I believe that the club has written off this group.
The younger age teams are doing well as far as results concern.
The plan seems to be don't focus on this lot as they'll be off to collegiate or amateurs soon.

Of course the club would deny this.

It's sad for the two or three who could with the right guidance, be potential npl players but are wilting.

There's quite a few who don't want to wait till next year, they are looking at the June 30 deadline.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

alfieboy wrote:
upsidedown wrote:If the club doesnt deal with the situation then maybe the penny will drop when 60 percent of the players don't come back next year. Or not, they may just lay the blame on the parents and their 'expectations'. Been there before.
The plan seems to be don't focus on this lot as they'll be off to collegiate or amateurs soon.

It's sad for the two or three who could with the right guidance, be potential npl players but are wilting.

There's quite a few who don't want to wait till next year, they are looking at the June 30 deadline.
Adelaide City U16’s ?

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Well perhaps they should move before their passion for the game is completely killed off. Some clubs would love extra players if the number of teams that have folded is anything to go by.
Go Reds

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

limozeen wrote:Well perhaps they should move before their passion for the game is completely killed off. Some clubs would love extra players if the number of teams that have folded is anything to go by.
To be honest, U16's is where all the toys come out of the pram. Some players start to become involved in the U18's and parents start asking questions because their little Ronaldo is not involved. If parents would stop trying to live their life through their kids then it would be much easier. Just let the kids play and don't get them bogged down with the politics.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

magnet wrote:
limozeen wrote:Well perhaps they should move before their passion for the game is completely killed off. Some clubs would love extra players if the number of teams that have folded is anything to go by.
To be honest, U16's is where all the toys come out of the pram. Some players start to become involved in the U18's and parents start asking questions because their little Ronaldo is not involved. If parents would stop trying to live their life through their kids then it would be much easier. Just let the kids play and don't get them bogged down with the politics.
100% agree. Parents can kill teams/clubs. So can club hierarchy too though. The thing is, as a parent, if your're not happy, leave the club. It happens everywhere even professionally. A player is overlooked by one coach, moves to another club and is a first team regular. No point staying somewhere hoping to be suddenly "discovered" when it's clear the kid isn't in the future plans.
Go Reds

upsidedown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by upsidedown »

Pie and Bovril wrote:
alfieboy wrote:

Adelaide City U16’s ?

Based the fact that the team is bottom on jpl A i wouldnt be surprised. Quite a few teams change significantly from being a strong u15 team to an ordinary u16 team as their best players are promoted straight to u18 and others that miss out leave their club and go play u18 elsewhere because the writting is on the wall they they wont ever be good enough to play u18 at such a strong club. Why bother hanging around especially if the bulk of the u18 this year is new and the players can stay in that team for potentially 2 or 3 years.

Club has probably already got the best players from that team and is just going to focus on younger age groups. Not a great situation for the coach, players and parents.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

upsidedown wrote:Based the fact that the team is bottom on jpl A i wouldnt be surprised. Quite a few teams change significantly from being a strong u15 team to an ordinary u16 team as their best players are promoted straight to u18 and others that miss out leave their club and go play u18 elsewhere because the writting is on the wall they they wont ever be good enough to play u18 at such a strong club. Why bother hanging around especially if the bulk of the u18 this year is new and the players can stay in that team for potentially 2 or 3 years.

Club has probably already got the best players from that team and is just going to focus on younger age groups. Not a great situation for the coach, players and parents.
Not great but players and parents need to be proactive and do what's right for themselves. I'm only involved with U12 but it's similar when parents leave so their kid can play JPL instead of JSL. Sure you can play JPL at a weaker club and get beaten 14-0 every week, just need to work out what you think if better for your kid in the long run.

Don't whinge, just make a call and move on.
Go Reds

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

limozeen wrote:
upsidedown wrote:Based the fact that the team is bottom on jpl A i wouldnt be surprised. Quite a few teams change significantly from being a strong u15 team to an ordinary u16 team as their best players are promoted straight to u18 and others that miss out leave their club and go play u18 elsewhere because the writting is on the wall they they wont ever be good enough to play u18 at such a strong club. Why bother hanging around especially if the bulk of the u18 this year is new and the players can stay in that team for potentially 2 or 3 years.

Not great but players and parents need to be proactive and do what's right for themselves. I'm only involved with U12 but it's similar when parents leave so their kid can play JPL instead of JSL. Sure you can play JPL at a weaker club and get beaten 14-0 every week, just need to work out what you think if better for your kid in the long run.

I disagree, we had a player at U12 JPL level who's parents would talk to the coach after every game and query why he was being subbed. They felt their little Ronaldo should have been playing every minute of every game. The truth was the coach would drag him because he wouldn't follow instructions. He and his parents used the barometer of a good player by how many players you could dribble past. He would mess around in training because he would get bored doing passing drills. They moved him on at the end of the season and he has played for a different team each season (5 clubs in 5 seasons). One of those clubs dropped him from JPL to JSL mid-season. He and his parents are the epitome of club hoppers. Maybe now after 5 clubs they will realise that THEY are the issue and not the clubs.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

magnet wrote:
limozeen wrote:

I disagree, we had a player at U12 JPL level who's parents would talk to the coach after every game and query why he was being subbed. They felt their little Ronaldo should have been playing every minute of every game. The truth was the coach would drag him because he wouldn't follow instructions. He and his parents used the barometer of a good player by how many players you could dribble past. He would mess around in training because he would get bored doing passing drills. They moved him on at the end of the season and he has played for a different team each season (5 clubs in 5 seasons). One of those clubs dropped him from JPL to JSL mid-season. He and his parents are the epitome of club hoppers. Maybe now after 5 clubs they will realise that THEY are the issue and not the clubs.
Sounds like someone I know...
But I agree with you. What I'm saying is parents shouldn't whinge to the coach/club about how poorly their kid is treated. If they are not happy, seek another club who may see something different in their son. People like the above (and yes I know one who has been at a different club every year for the past few years) are nut jobs and will probably never be happy and aren't intelligent enough to work out that they are the problem, but for most semi-normal people sitting around getting upset doesn't help anyone.

If the driver is "my kid must play JPL regardless of quality" then go somewhere that has low numbers and you'll probably get into JPL.
Go Reds

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

100% limozeen.
If not happy, leave.
If you don't look after your own needs, don't expect the club to do it for you.

Clubs love the alabi of blaming the parents and the tiresome term little Ronaldo, but some who run the show should leave their own arrogance and ego at home .
Especially the cornflakes ones who've been tipped out of the big box in recent years and need to show muscle to the plebs.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

Did any of the forfeits that were predicted actually happen?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

KRO wrote:Did any of the forfeits that were predicted actually happen?
Blue Eagles 14's JPL forfeited last week. Apparently the league allowed them to postpone the game but Adelaide City complained and claimed the forfeit win. I guess it's all about those sheep stations for them rather than allowing some 13 year old to play football.

I'm also told that Noarlunga 16's couldn't put a team together at the weekend and their opponents allowed the game to be rescheduled.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Blue Eagles 14's JPL forfeited last week. Apparently the league allowed them to postpone the game but Adelaide City complained and claimed the forfeit win. I guess it's all about those sheep stations for them rather than allowing some 13 year old to play football.

I'm also told that Noarlunga 16's couldn't put a team together at the weekend and their opponents allowed the game to be rescheduled.
Correct, Blue Eagles only had 8 players available after illness hit half the squad. Instead of allowing the game to be rescheduled Adelaide City took the forfeit. Now both teams miss out on a game, pathetic by City.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

magnet wrote:

Correct, Blue Eagles only had 8 players available after illness hit half the squad. Instead of allowing the game to be rescheduled Adelaide City took the forfeit. Now both teams miss out on a game, pathetic by City.
Yeah that is a bit piss weak. Scared they couldn't actually beat them on the pitch perhaps?
Go Reds

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by romarios shin »

[/quote]Correct, Blue Eagles only had 8 players available after illness hit half the squad. Instead of allowing the game to be rescheduled Adelaide City took the forfeit. Now both teams miss out on a game, pathetic by City.[/quote]

Don't forget its a results based business, how are you going to attract the best players if you don't win every game, its doesn't matter how :lol: :lol:

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

At the end of the day it is up to the opposition coach to whether he wants to re-schedule or take the forfeit. You don't really know their full situation, they may have already other catch ups or players out due to other commitments in the future.

Have been in the situation, were our squad has been hit with flu and injuries, unable to field more than 7 players and have offered the opposition re-schedule or accept the forfeit, with no expectations that they would take the re-schedule. I wouldn't hold anything against the other team if they took the forfeit, I would feel more for the players more in missing a game. And I am not from AC.

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

magnet wrote:

well funny how blue eagles done the exact same thing a few years ago where they refused to reschedule a game in the under 12s for similar reasons

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

kramerica wrote:I would feel more for the players more in missing a game. And I am not from AC.
I'm from neither either, you have stated the reason there though why they should have allowed a forfeit. They could have easily said, we'll allow the forfeit but under out terms for the rescheduled game. That way, kids don't miss out on a game because someone just cares about the points.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

Ok so ABE forfeit because of player unavailability due to sickness. These things sometimes happen.

The original point though was a" farcical situation" where forfeits were predicted based on player/ parent unrest at a big club. No axe to grind. Just curious about the story.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

KRO wrote:Ok so ABE forfeit because of player unavailability due to sickness. These things sometimes happen.

The original point though was a" farcical situation" where forfeits were predicted based on player/ parent unrest at a big club. No axe to grind. Just curious about the story.
ABE wanted to reschedule.

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

magnet wrote:

Says something about the coach.

Redflag1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Redflag1 »

Tissues wrote: Says something about the coach.
And of the club.