Another Day More Disgraceful Behaviour

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Everest
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Another Day More Disgraceful Behaviour

Post by Everest »

I appreciate clubs can't control everything their coaches, players and parents do and say but my experience with a number of clubs over the years makes me wonder what they are doing and whether they think they are `above the law'.

I heard an ABE player today (maybe U15's) refer to an opposition player as Down Syndrome loud enough for all to hear. The referee gave him a yellow card but the lad should have been sent off in my opinion and I hope he is reported to the FFSA and suspended for a lengthy period. If the coach / club had any morals they would suspend the player and send a clear message that this is unnacceptable.

Having witnessed appalling behaviour, comments and instructions coaches and parents over many years sadly it doesn't suprise me but it was still shocking to hear.

ABE are probably not the only club / coach that `encourage' this type of behaviour by accepting/excusing it as `adults' being `passionate' about the game. What a load of rubbish - When are adults going to start behaving like adults and set a good/positive example to their children/players under their guidance?

It's never too late to start ABE!

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Another Day More Disgraceful Behaviour

Post by limozeen »

Yeah that's pretty poor. At least the ref took action and gave a yellow.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

The coaches should enforce some discipline on kids that behave badly. Take them off and make them think about it.

And some of the coaches should be warned as well. The behaviour of some is less than satisfactory in terms of language and demonstrating on the sidelines.

Too much emphasis on parents behaving badly, but coaches and kids get away with a lot worse.

Some of the refs could do a lot more to control games that get out of hand which affects the safety of kids and the overall enjoyment of the game. Kids are getting injured regularly through poor tackles and refs doing nothing to control it or way too late.

Everest
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Everest »

I agree with all your comments fball12. There is probably a `silent' majority of coaches and parents that do `behave' and provide a positive impact on young players.

I think sometimes it is hard for referees when they are young and/or just learning. When they cop abuse from the vocal minority it could be a bit intimidating. I have heard of clubs that impose additional suspensions for players that get sent off for swearing at referees.

However, some clubs and coaches have `form' in the area of bad behaviour and I agree that if coaches and clubs were held to account then maybe things could improve. There also appears to be a `herd' mentality when you get a few bad eggs especially if one is the coach.

I'm all for a good competitive game of football at junior level but those weekend warriors that are has-been's or never-was's on their ego driven crusade need to be called out. Having a `winning' mentality or being `passionate' is not an excuse for me.

Maybe there needs to be a system of additional points for consistent good behaviour and points deducted for consistent poor behaviour? If winning the league is so important to a coach or club then at least try and achieve it in the right spirit of the game.

besa
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by besa »

That's so bad and sad if I was coaching him he won't play in that team again.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

besa wrote:That's so bad and sad if I was coaching him he won't play in that team again.
Should get banned for at least 1 game.
Go Reds

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by romarios shin »

fball12 wrote: Some of the refs could do a lot more to control games that get out of hand which affects the safety of kids and the overall enjoyment of the game. Kids are getting injured regularly through poor tackles and refs doing nothing to control it or way too late.
most of the Refs are only kids themselves and i have been to games where certain adult coaches have very intimidating behaviour towards the ref. making calls and decisions before the ref has a chance to do it himself. Leave them to make the call and maybe the game will be better for it

Shankland
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Shankland »

I realise this topic is about a player verbal abuse on another player but I did find this information interesting.

A friend who is involved with hockey provided this information in relation to spectator abuse on referees and this is what apparently happens.

The captain can be sent off for the rest of the game if one of your spectators hurls abuse to the referee. This rules in enforced in senior and junior level. If spectators continue to abuse the referee can then send another player off. Minimum players allowed to continue game is 7.

Everest
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Everest »

Shankland wrote:I realise this topic is about a player verbal abuse on another player but I did find this information interesting.

A friend who is involved with hockey provided this information in relation to spectator abuse on referees and this is what apparently happens.

The captain can be sent off for the rest of the game if one of your spectators hurls abuse to the referee. This rules in enforced in senior and junior level. If spectators continue to abuse the referee can then send another player off. Minimum players allowed to continue game is 7.
I think this is very interesting and a great idea. I don't think it would take too long for everyone to get use to it as I reckon the players would be pretty quick to have a crack at their parent(s) and parents would be pretty pissed with other parents if their son/daughter was sent off.

It should definitely apply to coaches abusing refs and/or maybe a 10 minute sin bin rule for juniors so the players aren't restricted too much from playing as a result of crazy parents / coaches.

Not sure how it would go in seniors as the level of abuse and working out which teams supporters it was coming from might be difficult. Would have to be really obvious.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Everest wrote:
Shankland wrote:I realise this topic is about a player verbal abuse on another player but I did find this information interesting.

I think this is very interesting and a great idea. I don't think it would take too long for everyone to get use to it as I reckon the players would be pretty quick to have a crack at their parent(s) and parents would be pretty pissed with other parents if their son/daughter was sent off.

It should definitely apply to coaches abusing refs and/or maybe a 10 minute sin bin rule for juniors so the players aren't restricted too much from playing as a result of crazy parents / coaches.

Not sure how it would go in seniors as the level of abuse and working out which teams supporters it was coming from might be difficult. Would have to be really obvious.
Yeah that's not a bad idea. So long as the abuser doesn't then get even more abusing and attack the ref.
Go Reds

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Everest wrote:

And this is the problem. I could see in an important game, some donning opposite colours and going hell for leather.
Ignore this signature

Everest
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Everest »

Bomber wrote:
Everest wrote:

And this is the problem. I could see in an important game, some donning opposite colours and going hell for leather.
I agree but it is a bit sad (and part of the problem and my point) that if adults can't show some sort of restraint how can kids be expected to!? Am I being too moralistic?

Shankland - I would be interested to hear more from your friend about how Hockey actually managed the practicalities of their rule.

EvoFred
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by EvoFred »

My boy plays the higher age groups of junior football and after almost every match he will tell me of name calling, mouthing off, deliberate attempts to harm other players and other disgraceful behavior that happens and nothing happens. My son has a number of times tried to raise it with the ref because he is totally over it and the standard from the ref is, didnt see it or didnt hear it. Then they wonder why the boys take matter into there own hands.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

EvoFred wrote:My boy plays the higher age groups of junior football and after almost every match he will tell me of name calling, mouthing off, deliberate attempts to harm other players and other disgraceful behavior that happens and nothing happens. My son has a number of times tried to raise it with the ref because he is totally over it and the standard from the ref is, didnt see it or didnt hear it. Then they wonder why the boys take matter into there own hands.
It is hard for refs to see and hear everything that goes on and its even harder at junior level where they get volunteer linesman.

Some of the loud bad language I hear come out of players at senior level is really bad. I do wonder why the refs don't act on this as I think surely they can hear what I'm hearing from the sidelines.

Mmazzo
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Mmazzo »

Mr Red wrote:
EvoFred wrote:My boy plays the higher age groups of junior football and after almost every match he will tell me of name calling, mouthing off, deliberate attempts to harm other players and other disgraceful behavior that happens and nothing happens. My son has a number of times tried to raise it with the ref because he is totally over it and the standard from the ref is, didnt see it or didnt hear it. Then they wonder why the boys take matter into there own hands.
It is hard for refs to see and hear everything that goes on and its even harder at junior level where they get volunteer linesman.

Some of the loud bad language I hear come out of players at senior level is really bad. I do wonder why the refs don't act on this as I think surely they can hear what I'm hearing from the sidelines.
I'm surprised the FFSA haven't caught on and got the Ref's to record names and fine a player/Club each time they swore. They fine for everything else.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

FFSA dont give a shiraz .. I know of a ref who systematically lied in collaboration with the coach of an opposition team (as they are well known to each other) and in doing so destroyed a boys career

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Sacred Noodle wrote:FFSA dont give a shiraz .. I know of a ref who systematically lied in collaboration with the coach of an opposition team (as they are well known to each other) and in doing so destroyed a boys career
The FFSA disciplinary procedures are a joke and are dealt with by a mix of people who are arrogant to the extreme or don't actually know a thing about football. I'd suggest if you are ever in trouble with them, just hope you are at one of their little pet clubs.

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Sacred Noodle wrote:FFSA dont give a shiraz .. I know of a ref who systematically lied in collaboration with the coach of an opposition team (as they are well known to each other) and in doing so destroyed a boys career
The FFSA disciplinary procedures are a joke and are dealt with by a mix of people who are arrogant to the extreme or don't actually know a thing about football. I'd suggest if you are ever in trouble with them, just hope you are at one of their little pet clubs.
+1

Everest
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Everest »

alfieboy wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
+1
Without knowing the facts, I feel the for the boy if he was lied against. We would all know of many situations where people lie/cheat/behave badly to get an advantage for themselves, their son/daughter or team/club. However, I don't see the point of blaming the FFSA if a ref and a coach (or anyone for that matter) chooses to systematically lie. Any disciplinary body ultimately has to make a decision without having witnessed the events themselves so they can only go off what they are told.

That is one of my points though, why are adults choosing to lie, be abusive and set a bad example over a game of junior football? When adults start to accept some responsibility for their poor behaviour then maybe junior players are less likely to behave the same way and careers are less likely to be destroyed. I wonder how many careers are `quietly' destroyed each week for people (coaches, players and refs included) who are fed up with the systematic abuse that goes on driven by self-centred ego's...I bet it's far more that what the FFSA is responsible for.

My other point is acceptance (almost encoragement!?) of the poor behaviour by blaming someone else (ie the FFSA) for the poor behaviour of adults. ...maybe `adults' should start to accept responsibility for their own behaviour and change their ways.... or maybe I'm just on a futile utopian moral crusade!?

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

People who lie and cheat at junior sports are liars and cheats in their life in general. And they create future generations of liars and cheaters.

From what I've seen the problem at times rests largely with the enablers. The hierarchy of clubs who do nothing about it. A parent bullies the coach or chairman etc and the kids gets game time. Instead of telling them to pack up and leave their behaviour gets rewarded. the parent who bullies the ref and their son gets no fouls against him because the ref is too scared to call a foul. and so on and so forth.

We all accept the standard we ignore. It's everyone's fault to be honest.
Go Reds

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

limozeen wrote:People who lie and cheat at junior sports are liars and cheats in their life in general. And they create future generations of liars and cheaters.

From what I've seen the problem at times rests largely with the enablers. The hierarchy of clubs who do nothing about it. A parent bullies the coach or chairman etc and the kids gets game time. Instead of telling them to pack up and leave their behaviour gets rewarded. the parent who bullies the ref and their son gets no fouls against him because the ref is too scared to call a foul. and so on and so forth.

100%.

Start sacking the enablers.
Gets complicated when the parent IS the chairman who bullies the coach and the wimps at the top don't have any courage to tackle the source.
Instead they attack the other parents who are easy pickings.
And even now they're still at it , picking on a 15 year old who stated a few sad truths.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Tissues wrote:
limozeen wrote:People who lie and cheat at junior sports are liars and cheats in their life in general. And they create future generations of liars and cheaters.

100%.

Start sacking the enablers.
Gets complicated when the parent IS the chairman who bullies the coach and the wimps at the top don't have any courage to tackle the source.
Instead they attack the other parents who are easy pickings.
And even now they're still at it , picking on a 15 year old who stated a few sad truths.
And hence why we fail to grow the sport.

I've never played footy but I hear from parents who's kids play footy how inclusive and supporting the junior footy clubs are. So different to our world. And so unfortunate.
Go Reds

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Adelaide Uni U15 JPLC player has just been handed a 12 match ban for violent conduct. Can't imagine what happened to get 12 games though.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

magnet wrote:Adelaide Uni U15 JPLC player has just been handed a 12 match ban for violent conduct. Can't imagine what happened to get 12 games though.
Ridiculous. Must be outright assault
Go Reds

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

limozeen wrote:
magnet wrote:Adelaide Uni U15 JPLC player has just been handed a 12 match ban for violent conduct. Can't imagine what happened to get 12 games though.
Maybe it is a typo

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... 6-0&a=TRIB

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

magnet wrote:
limozeen wrote:
Maybe it is a typo

I reckon there might be a few typos in there. 6 Months for a second caution
Go Reds

upsidedown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by upsidedown »

magnet wrote:
limozeen wrote:
Maybe it is a typo

Look at the round result on the website and you can see its a straight red card. Wouldn't take much violence to get 12 week surely. I saw a boy get a red card and slap it out of the refs hand and he got half a season. Clamping down this year.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

Pity the FFSA dont come out to watch games on the sly and to actively check player identity.

I have seen not only poor behaviour from parents - like one parent yelling "take him out, cut him down" but also heard a player (U15s) scream that they were going to get a knife and stab someone - the ref said "take it out in the carpark after".

But then later they did give the Coach of the team a Red card and had them walk across the field.....I believe that is because the players were out of control and he should be doing something about it.

Didnt really matter as the Coach was still coaching next week as I spoke to the parents of the team who they played and they said that it was the same bloke.

So a bit of a toothless dog and not overseen as any kid can put on a different top and play....yet have had a red card the week before.

We had one team calling a kid 'David'.....there were no "D someone" listed in the team sheet......go figure.....perhaps that's their nickname.

Cheers

Geoff9559

but hey whilst I am on a roll it seems that a number of linesmen arent that neutral as they are supposed to be and might not even know the rules.
I watched a game on the weekend (14th July) where the linesman was calling offside when it was obvious the player was onside WHEN THE BALL WAS RELEASED....the ref only waved one away when there was actually an opposition defender still in front of the player!!!! But I heard that the Linesman tried to cover themselves by saying to the Coach "your number 29 was always offside" and the Coach's reply "that's amazing as he's been on the bench for two of those supposed offsides!".
How can a child learn to do a great run from a through ball, when there is blatant calling offside when it is actually not the case?? And the linesman was not only guiding the defensive line with advice but was also trying to justify their position as to why they werent being neutral and calling stuff poorly against the opposition and in favour of their team.
Cant wait for my son to be playing seniors when there is an FFSA appointed linesman.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

geoff9559 wrote: Cant wait for my son to be playing seniors when there is an FFSA appointed linesman.
Well you might be in for a rude shock. Some absolute shockers this season so unless things change soon, you may be disappointed when the time comes.
Ignore this signature

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

Bomber.....damn was hoping for neutral linesmen or ones that know the rules......

Received an email with a photo of one of the supposed "Offsides"....was in our own half so couldnt have been offside.

cheers

Geoff9559