Confused soccer dad

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

SoccerDadSydney
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Confused soccer dad

Post by SoccerDadSydney »

Hi all,

First time and apology if this is not the right forum. Been looking around for parent football forum for Australia and can't find one, so thought maybe good people in this forum can helped.

I'm a father of an 8 yrs old who is confused in how the different league works in Australia, I'm trying to find the right pathway for my son who is 8yrs old. Understandable he is still very young but I want to nurture his passion to make sure that he is going in the right direction. I read about academy system in EU and Spain and I can't see we have something like that here.

Recommended by a friend I took him for a trial at Blacktown Internation Soccer Park as there were 2 clubs that have trials for ages between 8-16yrs old. He got accepted to join the squad for U9 but I feel the routine and price they are asking for was too much. The squad trains 3 times a week and it will cost $1500/per child, and training will start Jan 2018 all the way to July. The other thing that surprises me was that every year he need to do the same trial to move to next year age group, which to me seems weird. At the end because of the heavy 3 days (1.5hrs per session) routine + the money I decided not to put him in as I feel it's too much for his age.

Can anyone with some experience help me and tell me what is the best way to go about for my son ?. I know that getting advice like this is not easy but I'm open to some ideas and suggestions.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Confused soccer dad

Post by geoff9559 »

Soccer Dad.....this is a South Aussie forum.

Bit hard to comment on Sydney stuff.

You do need to look local academies for that additional training in the future as it might be you have a coach who is really just a parent without the necessary qualifications to teach soccer nor the skill to assess players for appropriate development. The Technical Director should be doing some assessment but that would be watered down between quite a number of kids.

Talk to the school, it might be that there's a school soccer association which offers training and development whilst kids also compete between schools. that could be cheaper and then near 10yo bring your boy to club.

We have clubs charging around $900 for a U8 but that is quite over the top money.....but I have heard that Sydney prices can be astronomical for the major clubs.....so perhaps $1500 in Sydney is good money.

Good luck with looking around and you should be able to find a local academy that will offer good development at hopefully a fraction of the price.

cheers

Geoff9559

Smitty
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Smitty »

Look into Futboltec
They could offer additional training and skills development.
The guys that run it, are both quality ex professional soccer players + good blokes.

Die Toten Hosen
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Die Toten Hosen »

It's football for a start.
Lesbische, schwarze behinderte sind alle furchtbar nett.