Round 3 big results

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Chocco
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Round 3 big results

Post by Chocco »

Just looked through some of the results in both JPL and JSL

20 plus to 0 results surely that's not good for the losing team and not sure what benefit it does for the winning team.

U13 B JPL. 17-2

U14 B JPL 20-0 and a 13 - 0

U 14 red jsl 20-1 and a 13-0

U 14 blue jsl 22-0

Just to name a few of the big results

Will the FFSA deal with the situation as most players will drop off if it continues.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Chocco wrote:Just looked through some of the results in both JPL and JSL

20 plus to 0 results surely that's not good for the losing team and not sure what benefit it does for the winning team.

U13 B JPL. 17-2

U14 B JPL 20-0 and a 13 - 0

U 14 red jsl 20-1 and a 13-0

U 14 blue jsl 22-0

Just to name a few of the big results

Will the FFSA deal with the situation as most players will drop off if it continues.
Last Season the FFSA put some of the JPL teams into the JSL after a few weeks. I'm not sure what they can do with the JSL teams.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by geoff9559 »

Playford U14s seem to be spiraling down from Pool A last year to Bs this year and they are losing players. This was a good squad in 2015 in the u12s. I noticed awhile ago that Playford were seeking GKs for U14s, U13s and U12s.....plus field players. Is this because AU are now up there?? Or is E&D taking more? Gawler had this problem a few years ago but seem to have fixed the exodus.
Cobras were advertising for U14s awhile ago as well but must admit that the U14s of Olympic are a very good squad and they have kept a large core of players for nearly 4 or 5 years.

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by ikon »

totally agree I'm sure they will look to move teams around , but clubs need to take responsibility as well. You would know before Christmas if a particular age group may be struggling for numbers and put them in JPLC if need be, sadly some clubs think they can attract players by staying in a higher division .

As far as blow outs , I can assure you my team was looked after by a senior coach this weekend as I was interstate and he did his best to get something positive of the game and tried all the things about possession and challenge the kids with tasks and new positions we even propped up our JSL so we only had 13 players in JPL as we sort of knew it may be a big score line.

but we can only do so much, kids always want to score goals.

i know of one team that won on the weekend after losing every game for over 12 months ..they used it as motivation to get better.

Clubs also need to be realistic, responsible and put their teams in division that suit ability better , rather than go through this.

FFSA usually adjusts leagues by round 3. What you will find though is the struggling teams have mixed results midweek when they can call on players playing up or push up kids from under age teams.

SS Goal Keeper
Ball Boy
Ball Boy
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by SS Goal Keeper »

Great topic! A number of JPL teams that were pretty well pumped every week last year stayed up in either A or B competitions. Just as an example West Adelaide U13 or U14 from memory finished bottom with something like -90 goal difference (I could be slightly out, can't get it up on my phone to check for some reason). Seemed to be the big name clubs mainly that managed to avoid relegation even though moving down a grade would long term help them. Those poor kids can't be having much fun. As has been mentioned before many kids either give up the game or move to another club which long term damages the juniors at their old club further. Are some of the big name clubs putting enough resources into the juniors or just banking the fees? Some others are continually putting great young squads out on the pitch year in and out.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by geoff9559 »

Ikon - if you are referring to the West Adelaide v Adelaide Victory U14s match.....then you are correct WA hadnt won a game for a considerable time......WA did defeat Victory in what I personally believe was one of the most amazing games for quiet awhile to watch. The contest between players both on and off the ball was just full on and an exhilarating match to watch. But the best thing was after both teams had cheered and shaken hands......the Victory players and WA players were all talking to each other coming off the field and well after the game had finished and all were friendly and chatting ......competitive on the field but off the field just teenagers all talking about 'did you see this?' 'did you see that?' and both sides continuing to congratulate the Westies keeper......I say a big credit to Victory U14s who whilst losing were happy to come up and talk to the West Adelaide players - this is something that I'd like to see more where they can talk after a game as one day they might be playing on the same side in a seniors team. It can only improve the sport if the FFSA mantra of Respect is upheld between everyone. I'm not talking namby pamby conversation stuff....the kids were talking tactics and what they were trying on the field .... which can only lead to learning between themselves and improving the competition in general.

ZZZZ
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by ZZZZ »

ikon wrote:totally agree I'm sure they will look to move teams around , but clubs need to take responsibility as well. You would know before Christmas if a particular age group may be struggling for numbers and put them in JPLC if need be, sadly some clubs think they can attract players by staying in a higher division .

As far as blow outs , I can assure you my team was looked after by a senior coach this weekend as I was interstate and he did his best to get something positive of the game and tried all the things about possession and challenge the kids with tasks and new positions we even propped up our JSL so we only had 13 players in JPL as we sort of knew it may be a big score line.

but we can only do so much, kids always want to score goals.

i know of one team that won on the weekend after losing every game for over 12 months ..they used it as motivation to get better.

Clubs also need to be realistic, responsible and put their teams in division that suit ability better , rather than go through this.

FFSA usually adjusts leagues by round 3. What you will find though is the struggling teams have mixed results midweek when they can call on players playing up or push up kids from under age teams.
we asked the FFSA to put our team in the u15 jpl B ages ago when we found out they were in the A division as ladder suggested they should be in B from last year. i thnk they asked b teams to come up and no one was keen. hopefully they ill do something about it this week.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Pie and Bovril »

SS Goal Keeper wrote:Great topic! A number of JPL teams that were pretty well pumped every week last year stayed up in either A or B competitions. Just as an example West Adelaide U13 or U14 from memory finished bottom with something like -90 goal difference (I could be slightly out, can't get it up on my phone to check for some reason). Seemed to be the big name clubs mainly that managed to avoid relegation even though moving down a grade would long term help them. Those poor kids can't be having much fun. As has been mentioned before many kids either give up the game or move to another club which long term damages the juniors at their old club further. Are some of the big name clubs putting enough resources into the juniors or just banking the fees? Some others are continually putting great young squads out on the pitch year in and out.
When the draft structures came out at Xmas they reflected the league standings from the previous year. When the final ones came through they were totally different. The U15's as an example had Cove request to drop to the B's despite finishing 4th in the A's the previous year. West Adelaide rightly got relegated to the C's having picked up just two points from the previous year but found themselves back in following Hawks request to drop to C's. I can understand clubs wanting to drop a league if they've lost a lot of players but surely there is a better way of doing it than a month out from Season start.

SS Goal Keeper
Ball Boy
Ball Boy
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by SS Goal Keeper »

I see Pie and Bovril, thank you for that info explaining why some teams stayed up. That explains it, we aren't all aware of the inner workings so it's good to have it explained. Maybe in special circumstances more than 2 teams should drop down/go up. Last year a few teams in div C just missed out on promotion to JPL B. If there are 3 or 4 teams really struggling maybe a larger number could be moved up/down. No perfect recipe is there. This year U14 JPL C only play 18 games due to low team numbers. Maybe some other struggling teams should have gone down to give them a longer season.

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45443
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by God is an Englishman »

It's only the 3rd round and for some teams could even be only the first game. Bit hard to make rash decisions so early. Maybe that team had a few people out, maybe it is just a case of the strongest team playing the weakest team. Is the winning team really strong and needs to go up or is the losing team so weak they need to go down a division, or even both.

Very early to make that decision.
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by geoff9559 »

GIAE.... I agree with what you are saying...however with the Playford U14 B pool....at already -36 in goal difference after two games, and one loss was against Comets (20:0) who just managed to defeat West Adelaide 1:0, I'd be saying maybe they should go down as 22 rounds at a potential losing average of 18 is over -300 goal difference. But then you'd think the opposition coaches would at say 8 up be looking at trying different stuff. ....5 or 7 passes before going into the forward half....working on non dominant side. As stated last year and this year we shouldn't be seeing scores like this at this age or above.

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45443
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by God is an Englishman »

geoff9559 wrote:GIAE.... I agree with what you are saying...however with the Playford U14 B pool....at already -36 in goal difference after two games, and one loss was against Comets (20:0) who just managed to defeat West Adelaide 1:0, I'd be saying maybe they should go down as 22 rounds at a potential losing average of 18 is over -300 goal difference. But then you'd think the opposition coaches would at say 8 up be looking at trying different stuff. ....5 or 7 passes before going into the forward half....working on non dominant side. As stated last year and this year we shouldn't be seeing scores like this at this age or above.

Just looked at that table and indeed it appears they are struggling. However, at this stage it could just be that those 2 clubs are the strongest in the league and will defeat all teams easily. I think that theory will be proved completely wrong and indeed they should move to the C division, but I'd still give it until end of round 4.
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Mrs Red »

Some of the blow out results are in the JSL divisions where there is no promotion or relegation. I think it is time for a review of the whole "JSL" Competition and what it was meant to achieve in the first place? Would it be better to have one competition with added divisions, eg A, B, C, D, and E, with the ruling that clubs can only field one team in the A and B Competition. Some of the JSL teams of some clubs are quite weak where as some JSL teams of the NPL teams are not far off their "A" division team in the JPL. Like needs to play like so these scores don't occur. This is just my opinion. Remembering that one of the main reasons for introducing the "JSL" Competition was hopefully to move those players who were playing in clubs second teams in any one age group was to move clubs into a "JPL" team. I just think we need to go back and reflect on whether this has occurred and is the "JSL Competition really achieving its outcomes and benefiting the players.

Some JSL teams are better than another clubs "JPL B" Division team or even "C" Division team and vice versa. Just my opinion though.......

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Mrs Red wrote:Some of the blow out results are in the JSL divisions where there is no promotion or relegation. I think it is time for a review of the whole "JSL" Competition and what it was meant to achieve in the first place? Would it be better to have one competition with added divisions, eg A, B, C, D, and E, with the ruling that clubs can only field one team in the A and B Competition. Some of the JSL teams of some clubs are quite weak where as some JSL teams of the NPL teams are not far off their "A" division team in the JPL. Like needs to play like so these scores don't occur. This is just my opinion. Remembering that one of the main reasons for introducing the "JSL" Competition was hopefully to move those players who were playing in clubs second teams in any one age group was to move clubs into a "JPL" team. I just think we need to go back and reflect on whether this has occurred and is the "JSL Competition really achieving its outcomes and benefiting the players.

Some JSL teams are better than another clubs "JPL B" Division team or even "C" Division team and vice versa. Just my opinion though.......
It's not even a hard review is it. From next season just select JSL A, JSL B and JSL C divisions based on finishing positions this season.

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Slide Tackle »

Pie and Bovril wrote:
Mrs Red wrote:Some of the blow out results are in the JSL divisions where there is no promotion or relegation. I think it is time for a review of the whole "JSL" Competition and what it was meant to achieve in the first place? Would it be better to have one competition with added divisions, eg A, B, C, D, and E, with the ruling that clubs can only field one team in the A and B Competition. Some of the JSL teams of some clubs are quite weak where as some JSL teams of the NPL teams are not far off their "A" division team in the JPL. Like needs to play like so these scores don't occur. This is just my opinion. Remembering that one of the main reasons for introducing the "JSL" Competition was hopefully to move those players who were playing in clubs second teams in any one age group was to move clubs into a "JPL" team. I just think we need to go back and reflect on whether this has occurred and is the "JSL Competition really achieving its outcomes and benefiting the players.

Some JSL teams are better than another clubs "JPL B" Division team or even "C" Division team and vice versa. Just my opinion though.......
It's not even a hard review is it. From next season just select JSL A, JSL B and JSL C divisions based on finishing positions this season.
Absolutley agreed

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Mrs Red »

Ys I agree but I think as FFSA see the JSL as a Community league they are trying to keep it a bit geographical rather than results based.

My point was that some JSL teams are better than other clubs JPL teams and wouldnt it be more beneficial to try and align the teams in ability?

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by fball12 »

Scrap JSL and just make it all JPL Division A, B, C, D, E, etc

Promote and relegate on ability/performance. There are not that many JSL divisions.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Pie and Bovril »

fball12 wrote:Scrap JSL and just make it all JPL Division A, B, C, D, E, etc

Promote and relegate on ability/performance. There are not that many JSL divisions.
Spot on. Make divisions 11 or 12 teams to ensure teams play a minimum of 20 games a season.

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by ikon »

fball12 wrote:Scrap JSL and just make it all JPL Division A, B, C, D, E, etc

Promote and relegate on ability/performance. There are not that many JSL divisions.
fball12 wrote:Scrap JSL and just make it all JPL Division A, B, C, D, E, etc

Don't mind that idea gets rid of the stigma with JSL that so many people are worried about. The "bigger" clubs JSL teams are just as good if not better than most in JPLC and even JPLB

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45443
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by God is an Englishman »

That's how most leagues work in England. You just can't have 2 teams in the same division.
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Mrs Red »

fball12 wrote:Scrap JSL and just make it all JPL Division A, B, C, D, E, etc

Promote and relegate on ability/performance. There are not that many JSL divisions.
agree and then there is only one League to administer not two separate competitions.

Just make the ruling so that no club can have two teams in the same division.

Chocco
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Chocco »

Noticed the 8 goal maximum in the JSL records has been applied 22 goals allocated to players and 8 goal registered.

Chocco
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Chocco »

so many games postponed tonight through the 14s. Is there a reason?

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by geoff9559 »

Its midweek...near the end of first term...a lot will have started high school this year. ....they're knackered. Victory have four games in a week! Sunday 2nd, last night, this friday and then sunday plus they'll have a training session! I dont know of a solution.

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by ikon »

I know ground availability is also an issue some clubs

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Pie and Bovril »

It's the FFSA's fault for uneven leagues. 12 teams in a league, 8 in another. When you have a couple of postponements and cup rounds start it's hard to fit fixtures in. Playing midweek plays havoc because other teams use pitches for training

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Big result last night in the U13 JPLA, Metrostars 13-0 ABE

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45443
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by God is an Englishman »

Pie and Bovril wrote:Big result last night in the U13 JPLA, Metrostars 13-0 ABE
Wasn't it that division that ABE shouldn't have been in the A Division anyway but miraculously at the last minute they got put up?
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Seaford 0-26 Metrostars U12 JPL. Pointless exercise for both sides

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Re: Round 3 big results

Post by fball12 »

Pie and Bovril wrote:Seaford 0-26 Metrostars U12 JPL. Pointless exercise for both sides
Poor administration FFSA.

And poor form from some clubs that entice players to their clubs that create these lop sided contests.

Post Reply