Parents refereeing games

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Soccer dad 70
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Parents refereeing games

Post by Soccer dad 70 »

I've witnessed occasions where the match referee for some reason hasn't shown up for a game and generally the 2 clubs representatives come together and come to an agreement where 1 or 2 club reps or parents stand in as referees. It's happened quite a few times over my 5 years of my sons involvement in federation football. However, yesterday my lads team ( Para Hills JSL U15) played at Campbelltown and the referee of the game prior to our game was approached by a Campbelltown representative after that game and told he was supposed to be somewhere else, not staying to referee our game. The referee looked confused by this and went into the change rooms. I never saw him again. I presume he went else where but I don't know. I didn't think much of it until 5 minutes later a guy who I know is a Campbelltown person, that I have seen in the crowds of previous games walked out as the referee. He was dressed in the proper referee uniform. There was never a discussion between the clubs about who was refereeing.

The game was very even throughout, hard and tough but played in good spirits by both teams. In the second half though there were 2 obvious free kicks not paid to Para Hills, one which would have been a penalty and the other a close to the box free kick. At that stage Para Hills were leading 2-1, and would have been hard to beat with a third. Campbelltown scored late goals and won 4-2. No problem with their goals, one was a really well worked goal. After the game, a group of Campbelltown men where loudly congratulating the referee on his performance as he walked off, with one of them very much over the top loud and then he followed him into the change room.

You could say I'm just being a sore loser or what ever, but really, it was a JSL U 15's game. It was hardly for sheep stations. Seemed very suspect to me and everyone else.

My questions are,
When is it OK for a club related person to referee a game?
Does there need to be some consultation with the opposing team?
Do they need to be formally qualified?
Has anyone else had a similar experience when playing at Campbelltown?

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Parents refereeing games

Post by Mrs Red »

When a referee isn't assigned to a game
no
no
no

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I refereed my sons game yesterday as there was no referee assigned. I am a qualified ref but at no point was that even asked but I did make a point of telling the opposition team manager that I was. My son's club asked for a volunteer and I offered. Bearing in mind this was sorted out on Saturday evening, I assume that no consultation was required with the opposition.

I didn't wear my referee's uniform though as I wasn't assigned to the game so it would have been wrong to wear it.

(the game wasn't at Campbelltown though, so that wasn't me)

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

Soccer dad 70 wrote:I've witnessed occasions where the match referee for some reason hasn't shown up for a game and generally the 2 clubs representatives come together and come to an agreement where 1 or 2 club reps or parents stand in as referees. It's happened quite a few times over my 5 years of my sons involvement in federation football. However, yesterday my lads team ( Para Hills JSL U15) played at Campbelltown and the referee of the game prior to our game was approached by a Campbelltown representative after that game and told he was supposed to be somewhere else, not staying to referee our game. The referee looked confused by this and went into the change rooms. I never saw him again. I presume he went else where but I don't know. I didn't think much of it until 5 minutes later a guy who I know is a Campbelltown person, that I have seen in the crowds of previous games walked out as the referee. He was dressed in the proper referee uniform. There was never a discussion between the clubs about who was refereeing.

The game was very even throughout, hard and tough but played in good spirits by both teams. In the second half though there were 2 obvious free kicks not paid to Para Hills, one which would have been a penalty and the other a close to the box free kick. At that stage Para Hills were leading 2-1, and would have been hard to beat with a third. Campbelltown scored late goals and won 4-2. No problem with their goals, one was a really well worked goal. After the game, a group of Campbelltown men where loudly congratulating the referee on his performance as he walked off, with one of them very much over the top loud and then he followed him into the change room.

You could say I'm just being a sore loser or what ever, but really, it was a JSL U 15's game. It was hardly for sheep stations. Seemed very suspect to me and everyone else.

My questions are,
When is it OK for a club related person to referee a game?
Does there need to be some consultation with the opposing team?
Do they need to be formally qualified?
Has anyone else had a similar experience when playing at Campbelltown?
tough issue, but id ask why the referee didn't do the game , they get schedule and teams, always check. Some fo these club play for sheep stations :?

lethal14
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lethal14 »

Soccer dad 70 wrote:However, yesterday my lads team ( Para Hills JSL U15) played at Campbelltown and the referee of the game prior to our game was approached by a Campbelltown representative after that game and told he was supposed to be somewhere else, not staying to referee our game. The referee looked confused by this and went into the change rooms. I never saw him again. I
If you check the referee allocations, the referee who did the game before your son's was then scheduled to do an Under 12 game at Campbelltown which was presumably on the smaller pitch. A referee who hadn't been there before may very well have been confused thinking both games were on the same pitch.
Soccer dad 70 wrote:I didn't think much of it until 5 minutes later a guy who I know is a Campbelltown person, that I have seen in the crowds of previous games walked out as the referee. He was dressed in the proper referee uniform. There was never a discussion between the clubs about who was refereeing.
FFSA scheduled a ref for your son's game - Enrico Losapio - and given that he turned out in full refereeing kit, it was likely him. A guy that really likes his football and a chat, but don't think that makes him a "Campbelltown person".