Cup round.....

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Cup round.....

Post by geoff9559 »

Couldnt help but overhear some people talking, a couple of days ago, about U16s and that at that age there shouldnt be huge scorelines.......but looks like the Cup round has some pretty big differences in scores and not just in the three U16s matches but also in U15s, 14s, 13s and 12s. Yes it is the Cup and does mean that JSL teams are up against JPL and JPL A pools against JPL C teams - I guess I am opening a topic which has been rehashed last year as to whether in the first round that it might be preferable to have JSL Teams against JPL pool C or B prior to progressing? I reckon that the FFSA needs to review this to possibly reduce such differences and make the competition a lot tighter and therefore massive scorelines are possibly reduced as it would be quite disheartening for the kids to get hammered when in a JSL team against an A Pool JPL team.
cheers
Geoff9559

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Cup round.....

Post by magnet »

23-0, 22-0, 20-0, 19-0....just some of the scorelines in the cup this week. Some average behavior from the coaches allowing their goalkeepers to score. It is the ultimate insult. Some of the JSL teams are made up of players who are totally new to football. These kids have taken it on the chin with the high scoreline but allowing keepers to score is overstepping the mark.

The FFSA should adopt a similar format to that of the League Cup in England. JPL A and JPL B teams have a BYE in the preliminary round and enter the comp in round 1. It will at least go someway to ensuring the stronger JSL and JPL C teams go through and eliminate these huge scorelines.

ʃₐᵇf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ʃₐᵇf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a) »

Where in the LOTG does it say goalkeepers cannot score?

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

ʃₐᵇf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a) wrote:Where in the LOTG does it say goalkeepers cannot score?
It doesn't but you've made your point scoring 20 goals, no need to take the piss.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

magnet wrote:
ʃₐᵇf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a) wrote:Where in the LOTG does it say goalkeepers cannot score?
It doesn't but you've made your point scoring 20 goals, no need to take the piss.
Question: Did the GK score while still playing in goal? or did he swap positions and play an outfield role and then score?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Either way, part and parcel of growing and learning is to be able to handle a thumping. I recall being on the wrong end of a 13-0 score once in U/10's when I played for the B team, but was appreciative of the other team and how well they played. I also have been on the right end of a 16-0 win scoring 5 times, but didn't take the piss at all and remember the keeper wanting to go up front as he was bored shitless, so last 5-10 minutes coach agreed, made a swap and that was that. Not everyone plays in the right spirit nor always humble, but end of the day its a fact of life that sometimes you're going to get a walloping and its up to parents and coaches to face up on how to handle it, rather than shy away from it and blame the rest of the world.

Just to illustrate - The same team we lost 13-0 to when played again later in season, we lost again but only 4-3, yet treated it like a win (almost) as we had a measure on how much we improved. Even the opposition coach complimented everyone to the players and coach on how far we'd come in such a short time.

Bottom line - It can have a positive effect (in the long run), believe it nor not. Just needs to be handled well.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

matty2323 wrote: Question: Did the GK score while still playing in goal? or did he swap positions and play an outfield role and then score?
Very good question. My son's team were winning quite easily last week and both keepers played on pitch and an outfield player played in goal. Both keepers scored and I think they won 9-0.

I don't know for sure but I assume the coach gave the keepers a run on pitch in order to balance the game a bit more as the result was never in doubt.

On the other hand, in round 1 the opposition keeper took a penalty and the boys felt insulted.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Bomber wrote:Either way, part and parcel of growing and learning is to be able to handle a thumping. I recall being on the wrong end of a 13-0 score once in U/10's when I played for the B team, but was appreciative of the other team and how well they played. I also have been on the right end of a 16-0 win scoring 5 times, but didn't take the piss at all and remember the keeper wanting to go up front as he was bored shitless, so last 5-10 minutes coach agreed, made a swap and that was that. Not everyone plays in the right spirit nor always humble, but end of the day its a fact of life that sometimes you're going to get a walloping and its up to parents and coaches to face up on how to handle it, rather than shy away from it and blame the rest of the world.

Just to illustrate - The same team we lost 13-0 to when played again later in season, we lost again but only 4-3, yet treated it like a win (almost) as we had a measure on how much we improved. Even the opposition coach complimented everyone to the players and coach on how far we'd come in such a short time.

Bottom line - It can have a positive effect (in the long run), believe it nor not. Just needs to be handled well.
for a fleeting second I thought this was a JD story

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

So it was brought up last and more than likely the season before about huge score differences and to give the JSL teams and JPL C pools an opening round prior to meeting A and B JPLs.
I guess the question is how is the FFSA allowing the Cup to continue in it's current format when I am reckoning that Junior Coordinators have broached the subject?

And opening up the Junior Cup further to SAASL (even school teams if it didnt conflict with the player being in two squads) would be interesting as I note Modbury Vista and Elizabeth Grove are in the U13 Cup.......and would mimic the current FFA Cup which allows amateur, collegiate and others the opportunity to try and have a crack at A League teams if they were to get that far.
cheers
Geoff9559

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

So looking at the stats of the matches that are written up here is the following: ....the rider is that not all results are in so dont take this fully as gospel.

U12 15 9 3 2 9 27 2
U13 11 8 6 5 11 21 6
U14 9 4 8 8 5 16 0
U15 6 3 14 6 6 12 1
U16 3 0 19 10 3 3 0

The first column is the number of JPL teams which won in the first round. The second column is the number of JSL teams which won in the first round.
The third row is of JPL teams who didnt play (bye) and are to play in the next round and the fourth column is that of JSL teams to play in the next round who had a bye.
The fifth column is the number of JPL teams knocked out by either JPL or JSL teams, with the sixth column being the number of matches - for note there are several matches with no results as yet. The last column (column 7) is the most interesting in the number of JSL teams which won against a JPL team in the first round. So for u12s only 2 JSL teams won against a JPL team, none for U14s and one in U15s...there wasnt a JSL team playing in the U16s and for U13s (the biggest anomaly) with 6 JSL teams winning against JPL teams......I am putting this down to leaving the grading of U12s and being put into ranked Pools for this age so still sorting themselves out.

So for U15s 25% of matches were won by JSL teams (3 out of the possible 12) with only 1 winning against a JPL team
For U14s it is again 25% of matches won by JSL teams (4 out of 16) with none winning against a JPL team - only against JSL
U13s - the anomalies see 38% of matches won by JSL teams (8 of a possible 21) and 6 (75%) winning against JPL teams
U12s sees 9 (33%) winning JSL teams but only 2 against JPL teams.

I reckon that's a pretty good indication that JSL teams are not really holding their own against JPL teams and that perhaps the FFSA should look at the first round being JSL and JPL C teams.

SO definitely food for thought for the FFSA to rejig the Cup to make it a tad more interesting for all concerned.

regards

Geoff9559

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

ok so the columns didnt work that well.

I guess it can be said that of the 76 matches played over the weekend (not counting U16s as JSL teams didnt play)...24 were won by JSL teams (so nearly 30%) however only 9 of the overall number were wins by a JSL team against JPL teams (11%....9 matches of the 76).

cheers

Geoff9559

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Either way, part and parcel of growing and learning is to be able to handle a thumping. I recall being on the wrong end of a 13-0 score once in U/10's when I played for the B team, but was appreciative of the other team and how well they played. I also have been on the right end of a 16-0 win scoring 5 times, but didn't take the piss at all and remember the keeper wanting to go up front as he was bored shitless, so last 5-10 minutes coach agreed, made a swap and that was that. Not everyone plays in the right spirit nor always humble, but end of the day its a fact of life that sometimes you're going to get a walloping and its up to parents and coaches to face up on how to handle it, rather than shy away from it and blame the rest of the world.

I've played on both ends of a 20-0. The loss we had 8 players which included one of our players Dad's playing in his wellies with the dog he was walking tied up on the side of the pitch.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

geoff9559 wrote:ok so the columns didnt work that well.

I guess it can be said that of the 76 matches played over the weekend (not counting U16s as JSL teams didnt play)...24 were won by JSL teams (so nearly 30%) however only 9 of the overall number were wins by a JSL team against JPL teams (11%....9 matches of the 76).

cheers

Geoff9559
Its the cup. Its hard to balance a cup when, for everything that is romantic about cup games, can also be a negative. Every "under-dog" JSL team dreams of knocking off a JPL team. And for every one that does, there is probably 10 that got beaten by 5+ goals.

FA cup in England has pre-qualifying rounds before the bigger clubs enter the competition. I dont know if we have the depth in teams to do this. Could possibly play a pre qualifying cup round of JSL teams followed by another with B & C division teams before the A division teams enter the comp. But then again, you're promoting coaches to win and gain benefits by being in A Division JPL.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

matty2323 wrote:

cheers

Geoff9559
Its the cup. Its hard to balance a cup when, for everything that is romantic about cup games, can also be a negative. Every "under-dog" JSL team dreams of knocking off a JPL team. And for every one that does, there is probably 10 that got beaten by 5+ goals.

FA cup in England has pre-qualifying rounds before the bigger clubs enter the competition. I dont know if we have the depth in teams to do this. Could possibly play a pre qualifying cup round of JSL teams followed by another with B & C division teams before the A division teams enter the comp. But then again, you're promoting coaches to win and gain benefits by being in A Division JPL.
Romantic cup games when talking about JSL v JPL, surely you jest.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

God is an Englishman wrote:
matty2323 wrote:

Not at all. All kids want to win. And many JSL kids have been turned away from JPL teams and enjoy the challenge and opportunity to compete against JPL teams. I know last season my team lost to Cumberland U14JSL, and they were thrilled. They out worked us, out played us and wanted it more. The year before we had made the semi finals. It was a learning experience for my players to realise talent only beats hard work when talent works hard enough, and the cumberland players were ecstatic. There's always romance at any level of football.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

matty2323 wrote:

cheers

Geoff9559

The FA Cup doesn't knock up 23-0 scorelines. Scorelines like that are a complete farce

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

matty2323 wrote:
matty2323 wrote:

Not at all. All kids want to win. And many JSL kids have been turned away from JPL teams and enjoy the challenge and opportunity to compete against JPL teams. I know last season my team lost to Cumberland U14JSL, and they were thrilled. They out worked us, out played us and wanted it more. The year before we had made the semi finals. It was a learning experience for my players to realise talent only beats hard work when talent works hard enough, and the cumberland players were ecstatic. There's always romance at any level of football.
Kids want to win full stop. I think you're over playing the cup by a long way.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

magnet wrote:
The FA Cup doesn't knock up 23-0 scorelines. Scorelines like that are a complete farce
Theres no way to stop it. At age 13, Ronaldinho came to fame when his team won 23-0 and he scored all 23 goals. Simply put, younger players aren't exposed to tactical coaching (and nor should they), so differences in talent are exposed greater. Some kids at 13 have already been playing for 8-10 years with exposure to SSGs and a good standard of coaching. If these players are to compete against kids who are in their first or second year, its going to result in blow outs.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

matty2323 wrote:
magnet wrote:
Theres no way to stop it. At age 13, Ronaldinho came to fame when his team won 23-0 and he scored all 23 goals. Simply put, younger players aren't exposed to tactical coaching (and nor should they), so differences in talent are exposed greater. Some kids at 13 have already been playing for 8-10 years with exposure to SSGs and a good standard of coaching. If these players are to compete against kids who are in their first or second year, its going to result in blow outs.
That's exactly what we are saying and why it needs to change. It happens every year. The Season is only 3-4 weeks old and those players off the back of a 23-0 result might not be as keen to get out of bed this Sunday to play. I witness it first hand a few years ago. Some of the kids were in tears. 11 year old kids are not robots, they know when they are getting embarrassed.

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Slide Tackle »

magnet wrote:23-0, 22-0, 20-0, 19-0....just some of the scorelines in the cup this week. Some average behavior from the coaches allowing their goalkeepers to score. It is the ultimate insult. Some of the JSL teams are made up of players who are totally new to football. These kids have taken it on the chin with the high scoreline but allowing keepers to score is overstepping the mark.

The FFSA should adopt a similar format to that of the League Cup in England. JPL A and JPL B teams have a BYE in the preliminary round and enter the comp in round 1. It will at least go someway to ensuring the stronger JSL and JPL C teams go through and eliminate these huge scorelines.

^^^^ This ^^^^

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

matty2323 wrote:

cheers

Geoff9559

Matty - I reckon there is quite a bit of Junior depth in South Australia and it could make for a very exciting Cup. Adelaide Hills represents at least 14 junior/amateur clubs from what I was advised - what if each club submitted a team not just 'Adelaide Hills'?, Elizabeth and Districts has heaps of teams, then there's the RIverland, South East and Yorke Peninsula associations who have junior teams. If the cost to enter the competition wasnt huge as in a money grab then I could see amateur clubs, Private Schools and COllegiate Clubs, Public High Schools (regional high schools might jump at the chance) submitting a team as it would be something quite different for everyone concerned. I remember that North Western Juniors had something like 3200plus kids competing on a Saturday morning and of these only 360 were also registered at a Metropolitan Soccer Club. So if NWJSA were to enter their U13s representative team to the U13Cup or U12Cup....that could be quite interesting to see how they would go as there's some serious talent who are not at a club. But no NWJSA enter into a State title which sees a whole 5 or 6 teams from associations competing at the respective age groups. They should be offered the opportunity to enter the Cup even if they are not part of the FFSA run season competition.
I guess for me it is another avenue to strengthen the depth in South Australia of junior teams (and interest in soccer) outside of the normal JPL / JSL pool format.
cheers
Geoff9559

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

magnet wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
magnet wrote:
That's exactly what we are saying and why it needs to change. It happens every year. The Season is only 3-4 weeks old and those players off the back of a 23-0 result might not be as keen to get out of bed this Sunday to play. I witness it first hand a few years ago. Some of the kids were in tears. 11 year old kids are not robots, they know when they are getting embarrassed.
But there is simply no way to stop it unless the FFSA embrace qualifying rounds. And by that, they're then providing clubs with the incentive to win at junior level to stay in higher divisions to reap the reward. These systems work at senior level because it is a result based environment. But its hard to implement them at junior level. Maybe the solution is to scrap the cup competition at junior level? Let the kids play in their respective leagues that are "graded" for ability, and play some extra games to replace the cup. I honestly dont see there being another viable solution.

just to clarify, id love to see a solution found. I want every kid to enjoy the game and love football. But the format has to be viable and done in a way that doesn't reward winning at junior level. Theres already too many egotistical coaches out there that coach to win kids football matches.
Last edited by matty2323 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

geoff9559 wrote:
Matty - I reckon there is quite a bit of Junior depth in South Australia and it could make for a very exciting Cup. Adelaide Hills represents at least 14 junior/amateur clubs from what I was advised - what if each club submitted a team not just 'Adelaide Hills'?, Elizabeth and Districts has heaps of teams, then there's the RIverland, South East and Yorke Peninsula associations who have junior teams. If the cost to enter the competition wasnt huge as in a money grab then I could see amateur clubs, Private Schools and COllegiate Clubs, Public High Schools (regional high schools might jump at the chance) submitting a team as it would be something quite different for everyone concerned. I remember that North Western Juniors had something like 3200plus kids competing on a Saturday morning and of these only 360 were also registered at a Metropolitan Soccer Club. So if NWJSA were to enter their U13s representative team to the U13Cup or U12Cup....that could be quite interesting to see how they would go as there's some serious talent who are not at a club. But no NWJSA enter into a State title which sees a whole 5 or 6 teams from associations competing at the respective age groups. They should be offered the opportunity to enter the Cup even if they are not part of the FFSA run season competition.
I guess for me it is another avenue to strengthen the depth in South Australia of junior teams (and interest in soccer) outside of the normal JPL / JSL pool format.
cheers
Geoff9559
Football in general would be much stronger if it wasn't divided down the middle with the two associations. But unfortunately that's the landscape of football in this state.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

matty2323 wrote:Football in general would be much stronger if it wasn't divided down the middle with the two associations. But unfortunately that's the landscape of football in this state.
Same at the senior level, I really don't see how it would make any difference at all. I have a son who plays for a Federation side, I play for an Amateur side. Some clubs (including your own) have a side in both amateur and federation.

I see football like life: sometimes you win 20-0 sometimes you don't get the job because there's someone better. You come back better and stronger and get the next one. I worry that protecting kids from things like this will mean a weaker generation who are not used to winners and losers.

I understand that at youth level, results are less important compared to development but sport needs to teach our kids that there are winners and losers in life.

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

yep there doesnt have to be a Cup.

My son's school last year dropped the concept of everyone getting a ribbon regardless of where they came - you should have been there as the kids were going off about where's their ribbon and I couldnt help but laugh when I heard a teacher saying 'you came last you dont get a ribbon for coming last'.
I reckon times might be changing from the politics of the last decade where everyone got a prize regardless of where they came.
I see kids entering CLub soccer as it's competitive and they have a desire and drive to improve themselves.......like no-one is going to fork out club fees to 'have a go' they can do it via School or somewhere else.
THere's also the question that is not mentioned but is at the back of a lot of people's minds (as we are competitive buggas even if we dont want to admit it) and that is 'who is the best team?'. You cant find that out unless everyone is placed in the same competition - like a Cup program.
But hey when I used to compete overseas in a sport that wasnt soccer, the organisers had a 'Plate' competition for people who dropped out of the first few rounds. So whilst the guys who kept winning promoted and finally there was a champion for that competition, the people who were dropped had their own competition with the end result being the best of the plate.
I dont think dropping the Cup at this moment is a good idea when the concept of the FFA Cup is just starting to get some interest and traction.
A Junior CUp open to all teams in the age group with a low entry fee (insurance) run by the FFSA within the FFSA rules and that has a realistic process of selecting teams for the first rounds and then introducing better teams later into the competition has merit. Now its just how to get the FFSA to look at the concept and come up with a revamped process for 2017.
cheers
Geoff9559

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

geoff9559 wrote: But hey when I used to compete overseas in a sport that wasnt soccer, the organisers had a 'Plate' competition for people who dropped out of the first few rounds.
The World Rugby 7's uses this very concept now.

All teams that compete get to the semi final of the 4 different competitions, all of which are inside 1 competition

geoff9559
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geoff9559 »

Matty,

Just saw one of your later posts......"I want every kid to enjoy the game and love football. But the format has to be viable and done in a way that doesn't reward winning at junior level. Theres already too many egotistical coaches out there that coach to win kids football matches"

I get where you are coming from and yes there are quite a number of coaches who are out there to win at the cost of not developing the child in the proper manner, however I do believe there is a place for competition and a 'winner' in junior sport else we are making a rod for our backs when the child enters the workforce. We cannot always place the child in cottonwool and I guess from other posts 20 nil whitewashes are a good learner - I dont agree with that bit...we need close competition, tough matches that produces skill and a better player from it and an eventual team winner. Losing 5-3 is a close match where both sides have had chances and the better team seems to have risen to win, both teams go away believing they did their best and it was a close match that anyone could have won....yep a very rose coloured set of glasses - but I personally believe that close matches brings out more toughness and develops teams into being teams. You can see bitching at each other when they are up a massive amount or down a massive amount, a close game sees better / positive communication and teamwork - in my opinion.

cheers
Geoff9559

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

matty2323 wrote:Football in general would be much stronger if it wasn't divided down the middle with the two associations. But unfortunately that's the landscape of football in this state.
Same at the senior level, I really don't see how it would make any difference at all. I have a son who plays for a Federation side, I play for an Amateur side. Some clubs (including your own) have a side in both amateur and federation.

I see football like life: sometimes you win 20-0 sometimes you don't get the job because there's someone better. You come back better and stronger and get the next one. I worry that protecting kids from things like this will mean a weaker generation who are not used to winners and losers.

I understand that at youth level, results are less important compared to development but sport needs to teach our kids that there are winners and losers in life.
Well said!

ʃₐᵇf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a)
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ʃₐᵇf(x)dx=F(b)-F(a) »

Nova wrote:Well said!
+1

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

The FFSA bang on about Junior football not being about winning but they do nothing to back it up. What’s the main objective of Cup football? If you don’t want kids to focus on winning then don’t administer a cup