Minimum Goal Keeper height in FFA

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

ThundaChucka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Minimum Goal Keeper height in FFA

Post by ThundaChucka »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Does anyone know what is the min. height requirement for a GK within the FFA?

Cheers

Poor Quality
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Minimum Goal Keeper height in FFA

Post by Poor Quality »

Is there one?
I am often misquoted

ThundaChucka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ThundaChucka »

Dunno, but FFSA do a bone growth test for GK's. So I'd assume there would be a min. height requirement!

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Peter Bonetti 1.77m ............ enough said

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

I believe it used to be 6'1" or 6'2" (was a few years ago). Don't know if that is quite right, or if they still go by it.

y = ½x² + ¼x + 4
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by y = ½x² + ¼x + 4 »

I didn't know they practised apartheid here.
Hyperbole is my middle name

ThundaChucka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ThundaChucka »

Thanks Grumbly

Shibasaki Kō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Shibasaki Kō »

Surely if you're good enough to play you should be allowed to play regardless of your height.

Jett
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jett »

Shibasaki Kō wrote:Surely if you're good enough to play you should be allowed to play regardless of your height.
Sorry but this does not happen, if your not at least 6 foot tall they won't even look at you.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I think bubu/bapa whatever, might have cause to shut this thread down.

Is there a maximum fatness whilst we're at it?
Ignore this signature

Adolf Hĭtler
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Adolf Hĭtler »

Rediculous
I am nobody
Nobody is perfect
Therefore I am perfect.

Ello Govna
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by Ello Govna »

Approx 6-7 years ago the senior SASI keeper coach would make you take your son/Daughter to get a bone scan.
The scan gives you a plus/minus of about 20%.
If your lowest did not say 6 foot he would not look at you after that, no matter how skilled you were.
The average height of keepers in Spanish 6"1 and EPL are 6"2 This can be readily found on the internet
and if you like reading there are articles on the pros/cons about the height.

:D :D

ThundaChucka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ThundaChucka »

Thanks for your input Ello Govna!

Adolf Hĭtler
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Adolf Hĭtler »

If those are average heights there has to be below average people in there. That's how an average works.
I am nobody
Nobody is perfect
Therefore I am perfect.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Ello Govna wrote:Approx 6-7 years ago the senior SASI keeper coach would make you take your son/Daughter to get a bone scan.
The scan gives you a plus/minus of about 20%.
If your lowest did not say 6 foot he would not look at you after that, no matter how skilled you were.
The average height of keepers in Spanish 6"1 and EPL are 6"2 This can be readily found on the internet
and if you like reading there are articles on the pros/cons about the height.

:D :D
But this is Australia and South Australia at that!
Ridiculous to exclude talent because of a hard and fast rule on height.

Dead Charlotte
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Dead Charlotte »

Old Redback wrote:Ridiculous to exclude talent because of a hard and fast rule on height.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

A clear example of the ridiculous rules/policies that are applied in SA football.

Evaluate players on ALL their attributes and qualities, not one in isolation.

There is an overwhelming dumbing down of selection of players based on current FFA or international playing styles, especially at Juniors level e.g. STICs, Skilleroos, etc.

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Slide Tackle »

I thought height didn't matter.

anyone remember Mexican superstar Goal Keeper Jorge Campos? only 168cm 8)

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

FFA have guidelines for everything, they'll be telling us which formation to play next :lol:

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Slide Tackle wrote:I thought height didn't matter.

Yes, but he was considered tall for his height

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Slide Tackle wrote:I thought height didn't matter.

No, that's size apparently.... :D

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Personally, GK is a position that puts a huge emphasis on physical assets. Our elite training programs are there to produce "professional footballers". So if they're taking in 2 GKs per age group, they're going to aim for the best two that meet the criteria of professional GKs - which is most cases is a height of over 6 foot.

Other goalkeepers are not disregarded, its not like clubs have this policy. Its simply the elite programs that do. You can be the best shot stopper in the world, but if you aint over 6 foot, not to many pro clubs would even give you a look in.

Using the EPL as an example:
Fraser Forster - 201cm
Asmir Begovic - 198cm
Joe Hart - 196cm
Petr Cech - 196cm
Wojciech Szczesny - 196cm
Alex McCarthy - 194cm
Ben Foster - 193cm
Brad Guzan - 193cm
Simon Mignolet - 193cm
David de Gae - 192cm
Boaz Myhill - 191cm
Adrian - 190cm
Lukasz Fabianski - 190cm
Hugo Lloris - 188cm

Given that 6 foot = 182cm you can see why the thought process behind "height restrictions" on elite squads.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

matty2323 wrote:Personally, GK is a position that puts a huge emphasis on physical assets. Our elite training programs are there to produce "professional footballers". So if they're taking in 2 GKs per age group, they're going to aim for the best two that meet the criteria of professional GKs - which is most cases is a height of over 6 foot.

Other goalkeepers are not disregarded, its not like clubs have this policy. Its simply the elite programs that do. You can be the best shot stopper in the world, but if you aint over 6 foot, not to many pro clubs would even give you a look in.

Fraser Forster - 201cm
Asmir Begovic - 198cm
Joe Hart - 196cm
Petr Cech - 196cm
Alex McCarthy - 194cm
Ben Foster - 193cm
Brad Guzan - 193cm
Simon Mignolet - 193cm
David de Gae - 192cm
Boaz Myhill - 191cm
Adrian - 190cm
Lukasz Fabianski - 190cm
Hugo Lloris - 188cm

Given that 6 foot = 182cm you can see why the thought process behind "height restrictions" on elite squads.

I don't think any of us are questioning what you are saying with relevance to the 'elite' but this is South Australia - let's face are those rules really going to matter to some kid that is playing in a fed team here? I think not. If he is going to make it he is highly unlikely to still be playing in our South Australian Under 18 comp.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Old Redback wrote:
matty2323 wrote:Personally, GK is a position that puts a huge emphasis on physical assets. Our elite training programs are there to produce "professional footballers". So if they're taking in 2 GKs per age group, they're going to aim for the best two that meet the criteria of professional GKs - which is most cases is a height of over 6 foot.

Fraser Forster - 201cm
Asmir Begovic - 198cm
Joe Hart - 196cm
Petr Cech - 196cm
Alex McCarthy - 194cm
Ben Foster - 193cm
Brad Guzan - 193cm
Simon Mignolet - 193cm
David de Gae - 192cm
Boaz Myhill - 191cm
Adrian - 190cm
Lukasz Fabianski - 190cm
Hugo Lloris - 188cm

I don't think any of us are questioning what you are saying with relevance to the 'elite' but this is South Australia - let's face are those rules really going to matter to some kid that is playing in a fed team here? I think not. If he is going to make it he is highly unlikely to still be playing in our South Australian Under 18 comp.
fed team? no. but remember, whether they achieve it or not, the aim of the elite squads is to produce professional footballers for the national competition. Australia actually has a rich history of producing professional goal keepers.

If we constantly think with this "small fishbowl" ideas that because this is SA and all we're doing is producing players for fed teams, then why are we even coaching at all. I can 100% guarantee you that my ambitions as a coach is to give the players i coach the best possible chance at becoming professional footballers. Playing for fed teams is the minimum i expect from them.

Cruyff
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cruyff »

Valdes 183cm
Casillas 185cm
Matt Ryan 181cm

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Cruyff wrote:Valdes 183cm
Casillas 185cm
Matt Ryan 181cm
so all 6 foot? or are you using these names to prove that GKs should be over 6 feet tall? im confused.

Cruyff
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cruyff »

matty2323 wrote:
Casillas 185cm
Matt Ryan 181cm
so all 6 foot? or are you using these names to prove that GKs should be over 6 feet tall? im confused.
The players you have named are all over 6'2" im saying Matt Ryan (5'11") and the other 2 keepers from Spain may not be as tall but are by far technically superior with their feet...
http://www.dreamstartsoccer.com/soccer- ... ove-story/

If your abit on the short side as a keeper start working with your feet..interesting to see Australian gks like Ryan at 5'11 and Izzo at 6' are Australias future..tells me that Ang is looking for keepers with good feet.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Cruyff wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
Casillas 185cm
Matt Ryan 181cm
The players you have named are all over 6'2" im saying Matt Ryan (5'11") and the other 2 keepers from Spain may not be as tall but are by far technically superior with their feet...
http://www.dreamstartsoccer.com/soccer- ... ove-story/

If your abit on the short side as a keeper start working with your feet..interesting to see Australian gks like Ryan at 5'11 and Izzo at 6' are Australias future..tells me that Ang is looking for keepers with good feet.
Agreed, keepers with good feet are the future. Hence why development squads are picking keepers who are projected to be 6+ and teaching them foot skills. Imagine having keepers at 6.4 - 6.6 with the foot skills of the 5.11 keepers? then you have the complete keeper.

I know when i selected my keeper in u12s i picked him on physical assets and told him to get himself a GK coach. Im not experienced with GK development but told him the two sessions a week he spent with me would be working with his feet. Hes now u14 and very highly regarded as the top 2-3 GKs for his age. He's already 6 foot.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

matty2323 wrote:
Old Redback wrote:

Fraser Forster - 201cm
Asmir Begovic - 198cm
Joe Hart - 196cm
Petr Cech - 196cm
Alex McCarthy - 194cm
Ben Foster - 193cm
Brad Guzan - 193cm
Simon Mignolet - 193cm
David de Gae - 192cm
Boaz Myhill - 191cm
Adrian - 190cm
Lukasz Fabianski - 190cm
Hugo Lloris - 188cm

fed team? no. but remember, whether they achieve it or not, the aim of the elite squads is to produce professional footballers for the national competition. Australia actually has a rich history of producing professional goal keepers.

If we constantly think with this "small fishbowl" ideas that because this is SA and all we're doing is producing players for fed teams, then why are we even coaching at all. I can 100% guarantee you that my ambitions as a coach is to give the players i coach the best possible chance at becoming professional footballers. Playing for fed teams is the minimum i expect from them.
So if you are so keen on developing why don't you take an E&D team/players and develop them to Fed level? Coaching at Fed level and expecting them to stay at Fed level is hardly this great development you speak of. I understand what you are saying about the 'fishbowl' mentality but there is also a reality that doesn't kick in for many who think little Johnny is a superstar and that he'll make a living out of football - the harsh reality is that kids should have the expectation to play and enjoy the sport for the rest of their lives and not focus on what the game may be able to give them.