What's a GOOD junior coach worth?

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

What's a GOOD junior coach worth?

Post by Ibelieve »

Just throwing it out there.
What sould a good junior coach be paid?

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: What's a GOOD junior coach worth?

Post by Ibelieve »

With the amount of kids playing these days & money clubs are charging, I believe most are underpaid.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Coaches get paid :lol:

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Pie and Bovril wrote:Coaches get paid :lol:
Not enough!
Time, & effort put in these days(especially when fees are so high) I believe coaches should be paid a minimum of $5-10k per year.

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

Ibelieve wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:Coaches get paid :lol:
Not enough!
Time, & effort put in these days(especially when fees are so high) I believe coaches should be paid a minimum of $5-10k per year.
your cooked - 5 to 10k for a gd jnr coach so if a club gets 7 gd coaches for 12s to 18s that's 35 to 70k on coaches?

How high do u want fees to go?

A GOOD jnr coach is worth 2k tops - that is a fair rate for a GOOD jnr coach.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Times are a changing champ!
Clubs know how to charge??
They pay useless 1st team players 150-700/week??
So a good junior coach who develops good players for the club gets aprox $70/week??
I believe you're cooked, and cooked by a professional chef too :lol:

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Ibelieve wrote:Times are a changing champ!
So a good junior coach who develops good players for the club gets aprox $70/week??
assuming the coach has three months off he'd be earning $250 per week based on your $10K per year.

r2d2
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by r2d2 »

In an ideal world no money changes hands and the former players coach the juniors who in turn grow up and continue playing for the club and coaching the juniors including their own children who in turn grow ...............
Whoa, I better get off the grass.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Yes, but the mentality has to change!
There are many that spend money on private clinics, state teams, school holiday clinics etc.
But, if there was a very good junior coach, shouldn't he be worth 100-200/wk?
I beleive yes!

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

i think most good junior coaches aren't too worried about the money. i think most clubs should look at helping their Good coaches upskill themselves with financial support doing their licenses etc.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Agreed Matt, and also to an extent you Ibelieve.
But then the politics of paying which coach how much and next thing you know developments back out the window & it's all about the coach not the kids playing.

Clubs should maybe start putting on school holiday clinics/sessions? But then you need a coach that isn't tied up with work.

How many nights a week should kids be training?
At Azzurri we were training 3 nights a week then at under 17s if you were tied up with 18s/19s as well some of us ended up 4 & 5 nights a week.

When it comes to fee's most don't want cheap, but they want value for money and there's a big difference between the 2.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

matty2323 wrote:i think most good junior coaches aren't too worried about the money. i think most clubs should look at helping their Good coaches upskill themselves with financial support doing their licenses etc.
Good point, and I agree!
But have you seen the expense now of upgrading license and the time it takes away ie weekends.
If clubs can support & pay, that's fine. But most don't.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Ibelieve wrote:
matty2323 wrote:i think most good junior coaches aren't too worried about the money. i think most clubs should look at helping their Good coaches upskill themselves with financial support doing their licenses etc.
Good point, and I agree!
But have you seen the expense now of upgrading license and the time it takes away ie weekends.
Its about retention as well. Clubs are reluctant to put money down for coaches who may just take their accreditations elsewhere the next season.

Something i've thought very useful is retention payments. Lets say the C-License costs $1500.

Well you say to coach A - You pay $1000 and we will pay $500. If you're with us next season, we will pay another $500, and the same goes for the following year. 3 years service to the club and the coach has recuperated the costs of his license. By this stage you could then push them on to their B License.

This then provides a pathway system for coaches in your club as well.

aufc_123
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by aufc_123 »

matty2323 wrote:
Ibelieve wrote:
Good point, and I agree!
Its about retention as well. Clubs are reluctant to put money down for coaches who may just take their accreditations elsewhere the next season.

Something i've thought very useful is retention payments. Lets say the C-License costs $1500.

Well you say to coach A - You pay $1000 and we will pay $500. If you're with us next season, we will pay another $500, and the same goes for the following year. 3 years service to the club and the coach has recuperated the costs of his license. By this stage you could then push them on to their B License.

This then provides a pathway system for coaches in your club as well.
What person with good football knowledge that's been involved at a decent level in the game do you think you will attract with $500. A good junior coach deserves to be paid a minimum of $5000. I don't know many good junior coaches out there, maybe 1 coach of every 20.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

There's some really great points from a few replies.
I'm sure football is heading in the right direction for future of kids with more licenses on offer!!
And yes, I agree that some junior coaches are better than others and do deserve more $$$$
But also more importantly, clubs need to look after those coaches and manage them better....
Clubs themselves are good, but individuals involved are the problem most of the times.
You get many committee members, presidents, junior chairpersons, delegates that have too much say what goes on in junior development & coaching who haven't a clue, but think they have

Golden
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Golden »

Good comments and as a junior coach payment would be nice especially if in the one in twenty good ones :)
However, I love working with the team, my boys in the team so for those of us who coach their sons maybe just waiving the fee for them to play would suffice?

I just don't think the majority of clubs can afford to pay junior coaches and expect it will remain a volunteer job for the short term even though the concept is a good one

Golden

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

I also notice some private schools pay some coaches quite a bit of $$$ too?

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

like I said ur cooked.

No club in this state will pay 5 or 6 jnr coaches (18s and down) 5 to 10k ever - it is just not feasible.

A gd jnr coach for 2k is a gd rate I think and would be at the top of what is currently happening at the moment.

There is a big difference between what you want to happen and what is happening.

A gd jnr coach doesn't do it for the money but cos he enjoys doing what he does - again we dont expect them to do it for nothing but 2k for a GOOD jnr coach is fair value in today's Adelaide jnr market.

I know some GOOD jnr coaches out there at the moment and they dont even get 2k.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

A gd jnr coach for 2k is a gd rate I think and would be at the top of what is currently happening at the moment.
that's less than $10 an hour.....a decent coach can earn triple that coaching in the amateurs/collegiate league....and they don't have to put up with know all parents....

if clubs don't seriously invest in their junior program by paying decent coaches a decent income then they see the juniors as nothing but cash cows....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

you certainly don't coach juniors for the money..........most coaches I know get some gear , perhaps their kids fees waived( if they have any), perhaps a course paid for or subsidised and maybe some phone $$....2k is way off the mark.

for 5K i would be expecting quite a few sessions to be conducted and perhaps some KPI's met....not some coaches philosophy over a coffee and a bucket of hot chips.

coaches stop because the enthusiasm is drained......not because of the $$$.

aufc_123
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by aufc_123 »

How do you expect to attract any of these people with good football knowledge from 20-late 30's years old when they can go earn a minimum $150+ a week from playing which requires A LOT less work than coaching. The ones that are late 30's on wards usually do not start from juniors anyway, as they have extensive playing experience and will start as an assistant or from 18's on wards. Without remunerating coaches well you're basically relying on parents, the player whose injuries means they can't play again or people with poor football knowledge.

And before anyone mentions examples of Mourinho or Gombau etc. not having playing experience. If you have ever seen them with a ball, they can actually play.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

bigpond wrote:
like I said ur cooked.

No club in this state will pay 5 or 6 jnr coaches (18s and down) 5 to 10k ever - it is just not feasible.

There is a big difference between what you want to happen and what is happening.

A gd jnr coach doesn't do it for the money but cos he enjoys doing what he does - again we dont expect them to do it for nothing but 2k for a GOOD jnr coach is fair value in today's Adelaide jnr market.

I know some GOOD jnr coaches out there at the moment and they dont even get 2k.
You have a LOT to learn :shock:
But no shock to me!
you live in the dark ages. Very sad :(
There's quite a few switched on comments from a few on this topic. You're no one of them

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

If you start paying junior coaches 5 - 10 K as it's suggested, the coach will be judged on performance!
Performance = Results
Results = win at all costs
Win at all costs = better players get more game time
Better players getting more game time = average players develop less
ETC

Coach for the love of the game, you'll do a better job :wink:

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Nova wrote:If you start paying junior coaches 5 - 10 K as it's suggested, the coach will be judged on performance!
Performance = Results
ETC

Unfortunately times are changing. Sure, do it for the love, but time is money!
We don't work for the love only? Or do we?

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

Ibelieve wrote:
Nova wrote:If you start paying junior coaches 5 - 10 K as it's suggested, the coach will be judged on performance!
Performance = Results
ETC

No, time is not money friend :wink:

But that's another story :!:

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Ibelieve wrote:
Performance = Results
ETC

It's called getting off your backside and doing something for the community. It's no different to all the other volunteers within the club. It is not just limited to football either.

Thank God not everyone in this world has your mentality. Where would the world be without volunteers?

Dry July
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Dry July »

Volunteering isn't for everyone.

mancity
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by mancity »

At my district cricket club the coaches get $300 to $500 each, which most put back into the club kitty anyway.
This is for 2 sessions a week and the game on the weekend, and we all know how long a game of cricket goes for.

Coaching should be done for the enjoyment and satisfaction of making the kids better sportsman and people.
I would be staggered if a club could afford the pay any of the figures being thrown about.
The main reason juniors are there is to develop them for senior football.
The results will look after themselves.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Junior cricket $50+/yr reg
Junior Football $800+/yr reg
Big difference

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer